http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

Caveat Emperor
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Looks like Micah is throwing another gem --

4IP, 0ER, 0R, 2H, 4K, 0BB

He's looking like the real deal, folks.

jesusfan
03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
IF we get pitching like this out of our 5th spot in the rotation and everyone else holds up their end of the baragin we could definitely be in the thick of it deep into the season... Gomes has also hit his 3rd homerun of the spring tonight, he's 2-2 raising his spring average to .381...

Caveat Emperor
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Owings night is over after four innings:

4.0IP, 2H, 0ER, 0R, 4K, 0BB

You can wrap up the 5th starter debate at this point, IMO. Owings, with his track record of prior success in the majors and his dominating spring thus far has sealed his rotation spot.

Edinson Volquez pitches a 1-2-3 5th, striking out 1 batter.

HeatherC1212
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Great job Micah!! :jump:

HotCorner
03-13-2009, 08:56 PM
You can wrap up the 5th starter debate at this point, IMO. Owings, with his track record of prior success in the majors and his dominating spring thus far has sealed his rotation spot.

A career 4.97 ERA is not much a track record. I like his bat for a pitcher but lets not anoint him the 5th starter quite yet. Homer is pitching quite well this spring. It's great having options rather than scrapping the barrel.

nate
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
A career 4.97 ERA is not much a track record. I like his bat for a pitcher but lets not anoint him the 5th starter quite yet. Homer is pitching quite well this spring. It's great having options rather than scrapping the barrel.

No, but that would be a pretty big improvement over what we've been running out there every fifth day.

It's actually probably an improvement over the league average fifth starter.

Caveat Emperor
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

It's better than Homer's career 6.72 ERA, and a fair sight better than anything we've talked about as a 5th starter in as long as I can remember.

_Sir_Charles_
03-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I just don't get the thought that Owings has wrapped it up. I realize that he's thowing well. Hell, he's throwing GREAT. But has he thrown better than Homer? I haven't seen that because Homer's thown GREAT too. So far, their springs are a wash IMO. That leaves us with Owings' experience & bat versus Homer's upside. With Homer's confidence finally taking a turn for the better, I'd rather we stick with the kid as I think Owings will deal with a bullpen assignment easier than Homer would. But however they handle it, I think they both look like they should make the team and Masset gets shown the door (unfortunately, because I like him too...just not as a starter).

Spring~Fields
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Cincinnati IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Owings 4.0 2 0 0 0 4 0 1.23
Volquez 3.0 1 0 0 0 2 0 0.00
Lincoln 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.18

8th
Cincinnati AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
Dickerson, CF 3 0 1 0 0 2 0 .348
b-McDonald, PH-CF 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .450
Gonzalez, Al, SS 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 .250
Richar, SS 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .125
Votto, 1B 2 0 0 0 1 2 2 .467
Barker, 1B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .313
Phillips, B, 2B 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .417
Bolivar, 2B 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .308
Bruce, RF 2 0 0 0 1 1 2 .182
Bankston, RF 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .150
Encarnacion, 3B 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 .167
Rosales, 3B 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 .235
Jones, J, LF 3 0 0 0 0 1 1 .087
Stubbs, LF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .100
Gomes, DH 3 1 2 1 0 0 0 .364
Hanigan, C 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 .474
a-Castillo, W, PH-C 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 .231

Viola 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00

_Sir_Charles_
03-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Ballgame. Now that was a well pitched game. On BOTH sides. I always enjoy those more than the slug-fests.

Spring~Fields
03-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Ballgame. Now that was a well pitched game. On BOTH sides. I always enjoy those more than the slug-fests.

Should we tell them it was 1-0 Reds ? :)

I am starting to worry about Jay Bruce.

OBP SLG AVG
J Bruce CIN .296 .318 .182
N Hopper CIN .261 .190 .190
E Encarnacion .214 .417 .167
J Jones CIN .192 .087 .087
W Taveras .182 .100 .100
J Keppinger .120 .120 .120

HokieRed
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Owings-Gomes--not trading Homer. Walt looking any better?

KoryMac5
03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Owings-Gomes--not trading Homer. Walt looking any better?

Ask me in June not March.

RedsManRick
03-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Ahh... the joys of looking at Spring Training numbers. Completely meaningless. Not slightly less meaningful. Meaningless.

OnBaseMachine
03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I saw Owings pitch last Sunday and he looked great. His changeup was really keeping the lefties off balance.

camisadelgolf
03-13-2009, 10:38 PM
As much as I like Arroyo and appreciate what he brings to the table, I'd like to see the Reds rely on Bailey and Owings at the end of the rotation with Arroyo being traded for an impact shortstop.

jesusfan
03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
As much as I like Arroyo and appreciate what he brings to the table, I'd like to see the Reds rely on Bailey and Owings at the end of the rotation with Arroyo being traded for an impact shortstop.

I understand that line of thought. But, I'd much rather have 6 guys competing for the rotation with that 6th guy available to come in and pick up the slack if and when someone flubs up or someone goes down with an injury. Throughout the course of the season we're going to need that depth. The key is to get that 6th man to be comfortable with his role until he is needed....

nate
03-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I understand that line of thought. But, I'd much rather have 6 guys competing for the rotation with that 6th guy available to come in and pick up the slack if and when someone flubs up or someone goes down with an injury. Throughout the course of the season we're going to need that depth. The key is to get that 6th man to be comfortable with his role until he is needed....

Hypothetically, if you can trade Arroyo for a young glove + stick SS, I think you gotta do that 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Spring~Fields
03-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Ahh... the joys of looking at Spring Training numbers. Completely meaningless. Not slightly less meaningful. Meaningless.

True, but Jay Bruce is looking very un-Jay Bruce like, and more like that guy we saw struggling last year.

camisadelgolf
03-14-2009, 01:07 AM
If Bruce doesn't improve on his performance from last year, it could be devastating to the lineup. I'm not yet suggesting that Bruce be optioned, but I don't think it should be assumed that he will be an above average hitter at such a young age, especially when you consider his tendency to be overly aggressive.

Ron Madden
03-14-2009, 04:25 AM
I just don't get the thought that Owings has wrapped it up. I realize that he's thowing well. Hell, he's throwing GREAT. But has he thrown better than Homer? I haven't seen that because Homer's thown GREAT too. So far, their springs are a wash IMO. That leaves us with Owings' experience & bat versus Homer's upside.

I agree with your opinion about Homers upside but I gotta say Owings has an upside too. Does he not? We should always take ST numbers with a grain of salt.

mth123
03-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree with your opinion about Homers upside but I gotta say Owings has an upside too. Does he not? We should always take ST numbers with a grain of salt.

I think Homer's upside is the exact reason he needs to start off in AAA. He's a building block who has already been handled poorly by being rushed to the majors. I'd like to see a minor league season with more than 140 innings before annointing him major league ready unless he's going to be a reliever.

Now is the time for Owings to establish himself and Homer to build his resume.
If that works out, then it will be time to deal Arroyo and break Homer in. If Owings flames out, Homer can have his turn. If Homer pitches poorly in AAA, then it means he wasn't really deserving anyway. No matter the scenario, Homer goimg down and Owings getting first shot seems like the logical play.

I'm just glad that Owings pitching well enough to enable the Reds to do what's right with Homer.

jesusfan
03-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Hypothetically, if you can trade Arroyo for a young glove + stick SS, I think you gotta do that 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Most definitely you do... But, if you can't get that young glove + stick SS you don't trade the guy for just anything. I'm not sure how many teams would give us that young SS we're looking for in a swap for Bronson. I just seriously doubt we'd get a good, up and coming SS for an aging pitcher. It's a good thought though...

lollipopcurve
03-14-2009, 08:51 AM

In the case of Owings, whose health was in question, the numbers do show us something significant.

jesusfan
03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
In the case of Owings, whose health was in question, the numbers do show us something significant.

I would argue that for Bailey's case too... Considering he was getting lit up in the Minor leagues last season for a period of time... Whether the 5th starter is Bailey or Owings, let's just agree that It is a REALLY good problem to have.

Spring~Fields
03-14-2009, 11:36 AM
If Bruce doesn't improve on his performance from last year, it could be devastating to the lineup. I'm not yet suggesting that Bruce be optioned, but I don't think it should be assumed that he will be an above average hitter at such a young age, especially when you consider his tendency to be overly aggressive.

I think that you make a good point and are noticing. I will leave it at that.

Ron Madden
03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I think Homer's upside is the exact reason he needs to start off in AAA. He's a building block who has already been handled poorly by being rushed to the majors. I'd like to see a minor league season with more than 140 innings before annointing him major league ready unless he's going to be a reliever.

If that works out, then it will be time to deal Arroyo and break Homer in. If Owings flames out, Homer can have his turn. If Homer pitches poorly in AAA, then it means he wasn't really deserving anyway. No matter the scenario, Homer goimg down and Owings getting first shot seems like the logical play.

I'm just glad that Owings pitching well enough to enable the Reds to do what's right with Homer.

Agreed. :thumbup:

membengal
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Applause.