PDA

View Full Version : Bray hurt again

NeilHamburger
03-14-2009, 05:30 PM
According to Fay Bray has a slightly strained or pulled hamstring so he won't be in any games for the next few days. Jesus, he's in his early 20s, but he's more fragile then my 86 year old grandpa. If he has a good few months he'd be someone I'd look to move, as his value would be high, and by the time he hits 30 he'll be in traction.

Ghosts of 1990
03-14-2009, 06:44 PM
All of these guys nowadays are fragile. Guys of the old generation would be appalled to know some of the things that keep these nancy boys out. Its disgusting but its accepted now and they get paid anyways.

TheNext44
03-14-2009, 07:03 PM
This is from Hal's blog.

SOMEBODY WONDERED about the health and well-being of pitcher Bill Bray, who has pitched only one inning this spring. His shoulder is fine. It’s his hamstring that is bothersome.

“We’re letting him pitch on the back fields to guys like Jeff Keppinger, guys who are struggling and looking for their stroke,” said Baker. “Right now, Bray can’t cover first base because of the hamstring.

“The inning he pitched last week in Dunedin (against the Blue Jays), there was a ball hit to the right side and he didn’t run to cover first,” said Baker. “I got mad and said something, but (bench coach) Chris Speier calmed me down and said, ‘It’s his hamstring, I’m sure.’ So we’re not taking a chance with him right now.”

So basically, Bray is fine, he is pitching, just not in game situations because the team is being extra careful in case he has to cover first. I wouldn't worry about him. And anyway, even with his early season injury last year, he appeared in 63 games, and was one of the Reds most effective pitchers.

JBChance
03-15-2009, 12:42 AM
I posted in a different thread:

As long as Bailey or Owings are in the pen, Masset goes. There just won't be a spot for the younger guys until Bray gets injured.

Already happening. Shoulder then hamstring. Whats next? Quad? Elbow? This kid is fragile, Imo.

Maybe Herrera gets a chance?

JayBruceFan
03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Get rid of this guy

He is just a big waste of time

gilpdawg
03-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Get rid of this guy

Yeah, because being healthy for meaningless spring games is very detrimental to the team. :rolleyes:

redsfandan
03-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Get rid of this guy

No way. If he can duplicate last season (albeit with hopefully a little less walks) you have a very valuable reliever. And he's still only 25 and cheap. Minor injuries happen to most players. I can live with a good, cheap reliever who has to spend a few weeks or more on the DL especially since we have a little depth. It's when we have a player that costs ALOT of money AND spends alot of time on the DL that's a problem.

Eric_the_Red
03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
It's when we have a player that costs ALOT of money AND spends alot of time on the DL that's a problem.

Didn't we trade him to Chicago last year? ;)

redsfandan
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah well I was trying to not be "specific" lol.

Old NDN
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM
This may, temporarily, solve the the Masset/Bailey/Owens situation. Put Bray on the DL and keep the other three.

Jerome
03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Speaking of John Fay, he wrote a pretty decieving article in the paper yesterday revealing the rest of the pitching staff after Harang.

Article. (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090314/SPT04/903140348&s=d&page=3#pluckcomments)
And of course, my hack blog entry. (http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com/2009/03/john-fay-accomplishes-impossible.html)

JBChance
03-15-2009, 02:42 PM
No way. If he can duplicate last season (albeit with hopefully a little less walks) you have a very valuable reliever. And he's still only 25 and cheap. Minor injuries happen to most players. I can live with a good, cheap reliever who has to spend a few weeks or more on the DL especially since we have a little depth. It's when we have a player that costs ALOT of money AND spends alot of time on the DL that's a problem.

The fact that he's cheap makes him at least palatable, but he needs to be more dependable.

In 2007, he had the fractured finger then the shoulder tendinitis and pitched with the big league club, for the first time, in August. Last year, he was slowed by the same shoulder soreness that contributed to him not making the club until May. He did have a career high 63 games pitched last season, but that was the lowest among our main relievers.

With him being so young, you would hope for him to be less injured, but he has this history of shoulder issues. It makes it hard for the club to depend on him.. I'm not saying we should throw him away, but we should take a look at some other, young guys that could be more dependable. Such as Herrera or Roenicke.

He certainly is a better situation than some of the other miserable, expensive bullpen failures that we've had. That does not mean that we shouldn't consider other options. For once in a long time, those options exist.

Rusty the Red
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I still like him and have hopes for him, but he's got to be able to stay on the field.

redsfandan
03-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Bill Bray returned to action Sunday and pitched a scoreless inning against the Jays.

jmac
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
The kid can help if he can stay on the field !

Jerome
03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
THE RETURN OF BILL BRAY
1 IP, 0 ER
and they breathed a sigh of relief

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

JBChance
03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
THE RETURN OF BILL BRAY
1 IP, 0 ER
and they breathed a sigh of relief

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com