Willy Aybar 2b

Gabe Gross rf

Gabe Kapler cf

Morgan Ensberg 3b

Michel Hernandez c

Jason Hammel p

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I know Brandon Phillips has great range...but I think listing him as a right fielder is a bit of a stretch. :O)

BRM
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm shocked Dusty isn't putting a more intelligent hitter in the 2 hole. Gonzalez must not be 100% yet.

JaxRed
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Dickerson showed Dusty his transcripts.

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Dickerson showed Dusty his transcripts.

Yeah, but he was taking slacker electives like basket weaving... :p:

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Per Fay:

Edinson Volquez v. Jason Hammel

Small-ball run for Reds in the first: Willy Taveras walks, steals second, goes to third on Chris Dickerson's single, scores on Joey Votto's sac fly. The good part. The bad part? Dickerson stole second and moved to third on the sac fly. But he was stranded when Brandon Phillips took a called third strike and Jay Bruce grounded out. Dickerson has been successful on his last two steals attempts after starting 2-for-3.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Edinson escapes the first unscathed. Leadoff walk, an out, a single, another walk then a DP ball. Not exactly crisp.

membengal
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
No. That's true.

But nothing to worry about either.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Edwin leads off 2nd with a HR! :jump:

2-0 Redlegs .... per Fay and Twitter.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Looks like Jones got a single
stole second
Kepp got out but advanced Jones to third
Hanigan drove Jones in to score with a sac fly
Taveras with a single
Dickerson follows with his second hit of the game but gets stranded when Votto is out.

3-0 Reds so far.

I guess I had it pretty close....~per fay

Volquez had a rough first and got out of it with no damage. He walked Jason Bartlett to start the inning, got a loud out, gave up a hit to Willy Aybar and walked Carlos Pena to load the base. Pat Burrell hit a shot that Edwin Encarnacion turned into a 5-4-3.

Encarnacion hit a blast to left to lead off the second. The Reds added another small-ball run. Jacque Jones singled and stole second. He went to third on Jeff Keppinger's groundout and scored Ryan Hanigan's sac fly.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Gross leads off the bottom of 2nd with a single
Kapler grounds into another DP
Ensberg reaches on Edwin's fielding error (wow, not a throwing error. We don't see many of those variety)
Hernandez singles
Bartlett singles to load the bases
Crawford k's to end the inning.

3-0 Reds after 2.

Edinson doing his best Stormy Weathers impersonation. Causing lots of trouble, but lucking out....so far.

2.0 ip / 4 hits / 2 bb / 1 k / 0 runs / 2 double play balls

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Reds go down quietly in the third 1-2-3

Phillips
Bruce
Edwin

All of these pages are being updated VERY slowly, so bear with me guys.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Edinson still unscathed after 3.

Aybar leads off with a single
Pena grounds out
Burrell grounds out
Gross with a single
Kapler K's to end the inning

3-0 Reds after 3

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Top of 4th

Jones flys out
Kepp grounds out
Hanigan flys out to end the inning

3-0 Reds middle of 4

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
That's it for Edinson. Burton in to pitch the 4th.

Edinson's line. 3 ip / 6 hits / 2 bb / 2 k's / 0 runs

Starts Ensberg off with a K
Hernandez grounds out
Bartlett pops out

Nelson coming in for Hamels. I'm out guys, my fridge died and the repair man just showed up. C-ya! Go Redlegs!

HeatherC1212
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm glad that Edinson could limit the damage today since it sounds like he didn't quite have his sharpest stuff with him during the game. :)

redsmetz
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm glad that Edinson could limit the damage today since it sounds like he didn't quite have his sharpest stuff with him during the game. :)

Maybe it's just me, but I want to see my pitchers getting into scrapes in Spring Training and work their way through them.

HeatherC1212
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I want to see my pitchers getting into scrapes in Spring Training and work their way through them.

I agree. It gives them a chance to see how they can work through all the different types of sticky situations that can come up during a game. I think it will help them be better prepared for the actual season and we all know things like that can happen in a hurry during a game! :p:

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Of course, some timely defense certainly helps too. 2 well timed DP's really helped him out today.

They said "speed and defense" are the goals this year. Today, it's showing up. 3 swipes through 3 and 2 DP's. That kind of thing will go a long way towards bumping up the W/L record.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Today's line for Micah Owings versus the minor leaguers....

RHP Micah Owings today in a minor league game vs Tampa Bay Rays went 4.1 IP, 9H, 7R, 6ER, 5K, 1HB (71TP, 51K). Also he went 1-2 with a solo homer.

For those coming to judgment quickly on Homer's game versus the minor's....Owings was much worse. But still nothing to worry about IMO

CTA513
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
*edit*

Sir Charles already posted it

HeatherC1212
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

For those coming to judgment quickly on Homer's game versus the minor's....Owings was much worse. But still nothing to worry about IMO

Yikes! :eek: That's quite a line but I agree that it's nothing to worry about with him. He's been rock solid in all his other outings this spring. I read something recently (I can't remember where though) that said some of the major league pitchers have a harder time getting themselves ready to pitch during a minor league game because the atmosphere isn't as intense as a regular game so that could have been an issue with both Homer and Micah. :eek:

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

I don't put much stock into those games. Hal McCoy wrote this yesterday:

Those aren’t exactly glowing numbers, but every major-league pitcher who has pitched on the back fields in a minor-league game has told me that the adrenaline doesn’t flow and that it is tough to pitch in front of a few friends and relatives as opposed to pitching in a major-league exhibition game in front of a big crowd.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

medford
03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Yikes! :eek: That's quite a line but I agree that it's nothing to worry about with him. He's been rock solid in all his other outings this spring. I read something recently (I can't remember where though) that said some of the major league pitchers have a harder time getting themselves ready to pitch during a minor league game because the atmosphere isn't as intense as a regular game so that could have been an issue with both Homer and Micah. :eek:

Are you saying there's much excitement for a pittsburgh v cinci exhibition game? I'd think the thrill would be about the same, and I think its just excuse making by whomever. While I doubt Micah would be as jacked up for that start as he would if he was facing the Red Sox in an exibition game, its still a chance for him to prove himself.

Now w/ that said, who knows what his goal was for the game. Its not always a bad thing to get your brains beat in in an exhbition game or 2, makes you realized if you're not throwing your best stuff, anyone can knock you around.

Then again, honest question, is there much more excitement when facing the Pirates in mid August when compared to facing them in Bradenton in Mid-March? I'm guessing not much for the Vets.

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
He was still sharp. In 4.1 IP he had 5 Ks and just the one hit batter. If he didn't give up any long balls then he probably just gave up some bloops...

HeatherC1212
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't put much stock into those games. Hal McCoy wrote this yesterday:

Those aren’t exactly glowing numbers, but every major-league pitcher who has pitched on the back fields in a minor-league game has told me that the adrenaline doesn’t flow and that it is tough to pitch in front of a few friends and relatives as opposed to pitching in a major-league exhibition game in front of a big crowd.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

That's exactly what I read recently. I thought I read it here! Thanks for posting that OBM so I don't totally look like a crazy person, LOL :laugh:

And I don't think it has anything to do with the team the pitcher would be facing in the majors vs. the minors. I think it has more to do with the overall atmosphere and a major league atmosphere is probably quite a bit different than a minor league one. Pitching in the big leagues is what all these guys strive for and once you've tasted that part of the game, going back to the minor league way is probably more challenging for pitchers or players in general. I don't know this for sure since I haven't been to a minor league game for a LONG time but it kind of makes sense to me.

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
He was still sharp. In 4.1 IP he had 5 Ks and just the one hit batter. If he didn't give up any long balls then he probably just gave up some bloops...

To fall back on an old Marty-ism that I like a lot, pitching in a minor league game falls squarely into the "getting his work in" category.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
An error by Kepp that would've ended the inning resulted in 6 runs off of Bray (5 unearned) after a 3 run shot off of Fisher.

Now 7-3 rays in the middle of the 7th.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Rhodes pitched a 1-2-3 6th with 2 punchouts. Bray & Fisher pretty much got rocked. Burton was solid as well with a 1-2-3 inning and 1 k.

But more importantly, my fridge is fixed. 450.00 bucks. *sigh*

HeatherC1212
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow, that's quite an error, LOL :eek: :laugh:

NJReds
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow, that's quite an error, LOL :eek: :laugh:

I wonder if he's making the team. He's not hitting at all and he's not very good in the field. With Dickerson having a good spring and Hairston in the fold, I don't see the need for Keppinger.

lollipopcurve
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't see the need for Keppinger.

He is not a decent major league SS, I know that.

puca
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
An error by Kepp that would've ended the inning resulted in 6 runs off of Bray (5 unearned) after a 3 run shot off of Fisher.

Now 7-3 rays in the middle of the 7th.

And that is precisely where this "speed and defense" house of cards collapses if Gonzalez is not back to his pre-Reds form.

As we saw last year Edwin and Kepp is about as brutal a left-side infield as possible.

_Sir_Charles_
03-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, considering Kepp's struggles at the plate AND in the field, I'd certainly have no problem with us keeping either Janish or Rosales around instead of Kepp. They're both head & shoulders above Kepp with the glove. Adam's by far the more balanced of the two players though.

As for Edwin, he's got the tools and he's certainly got the glove. In my opinion, the throwing woes are all mental. If someone could address that, I'd have no problem with the kid. But if it doesn't get addressed...Francisco is calling (or Frazier).

durl
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
OK...so Owings becomes the 5th starter: where do you bat him when it's his day to pitch? :D

osuceltic
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
OK...so Owings becomes the 5th starter: where do you bat him when it's his day to pitch? :D

That's a good question and one Daugherty asked Marty the other night. Marty hadn't thought about that, but said he thought Dusty probably would still bat him ninth.

I tend to agree. Assuming we're looking at the lineup we all expect to see, I'm not sure it makes much sense to move him up.

As for the Kepp discussion ... The guy has a pretty darn good track record with the bat and, despite his range limitations, normally is very sure-handed. Not only do I want him on the roster, I hope he gets plenty of opportunities to start games as a super-sub. I think he's a valuable player.

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Pedro Viola contined his strong spring: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K

Hoosier Red
03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
That's a good question and one Daugherty asked Marty the other night. Marty hadn't thought about that, but said he thought Dusty probably would still bat him ninth.

I tend to agree. Assuming we're looking at the lineup we all expect to see, I'm not sure it makes much sense to move him up.

As for the Kepp discussion ... The guy has a pretty darn good track record with the bat and, despite his range limitations, normally is very sure-handed. Not only do I want him on the roster, I hope he gets plenty of opportunities to start games as a super-sub. I think he's a valuable player.

Keppinger has about 6 months of a track record. If he were three years younger, people would call him a flash in the pan.

Falls City Beer
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Keppinger has about 6 months of a track record. If he were three years younger, people would call him a flash in the pan.

Exactly. Jon Nunnally had a pretty solid season once.

Look, this game is difficult, and guys who try really, really hard at it fail all the time. No shame in that. But you gotta move on.

klw
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I read something recently (I can't remember where though) that said some of the major league pitchers have a harder time getting themselves ready to pitch during a minor league game because the atmosphere isn't as intense as a regular game so that could have been an issue with both Homer and Micah. :eek:

This was certainly the explanation of why Milton was rocked by the Pirates A team a couple of springs back. :D