PDA

View Full Version : Questions and conclusions from today's game

flash
03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
1. Bray needs to go. Great pitching match-up. Hitting could have been better, but sometimes the pitching is just too good. But Bray was given the chore is close it out which he could not do, Had it not been for a fine play from both McDonald and Hanigan it could have been worse. Flores has had a better spring, Herrera has had a better spring. Bray has given games away.

2. Should Hanigan start ahead of Hernandez. In a pitching duel Hanigan manages to get on. He was in position to win the game when Bolivar took the bat out of his hand. Hanigan had batted .375. He has thrown out 5 of 7 base-stealers. (Only Red catcher to throw anyone out yet.) he made a put-out at the plate to end the Red Sox rally today. He has earned a spot.

3. Should Valaika be considered ahead of Janish? He is a better hitter than Janish, but his fielding could be better.

4. Why did Bolivar go in the 9th taking the bat out of Hanigan's hands? I can't believe he went on his own.

Jerome
03-25-2009, 07:34 PM
1. Bray deserves to stay based on last year's numbers.

2. It would be ludicrous to start Hanigan ahead of Hernandez.

3. I just don't care for Janish. Dime a dozen. Above average fielder, weak bat.

4. Bolivar went because Spring Training doesn't really matter.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Ghosts of 1990
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Is Roenicke gonna be on the opening day roster?

flash
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Forgot about Mcdaonald? Has a high BA and OBP. Had to make to the throw to Hanigan in the ninth. He also deserves to stay.

Red in Atl
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I could see one or two of Bray, Massett and Keppinger going via trade. Keep Herrerra or Viola. Still could use a good left handed bat off the bench. I thought Nix was a good option, but he hasn't hit that well and sounds like one of those guys who only thrive if they play everyday. And what about McDonald? Do you go without a lefty on the bench?

I really hate to see what's happened to Kepp. He's one of my fav's. If you watched the games over the last two years, you have to admit that he was almost automatic with runners in scoring position. Before he fouled that pitch off his knee. I saw it live, and it looked horrible.

My question is when I saw it happen, it just looked like it could happen all the time with his open leg stance. He really put that knee out front. Seems like since he's come back, he's really struggled, and I have to think that he changed his stance a bit and really screwed himself up.

For what it's worth, I hope he finds it. I think he's the kind of guy whether off the bench or spot starting that you need on your team. Positive, clutch, tough and all about team. He was the starting SS at Georgia when they won the National Championship. The guy knows how to win.

Something else the Reds definitely need...

Jerome
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I could see one or two of Bray, Massett and Keppinger going via trade. Keep Herrerra or Viola. Still could use a good left handed bat off the bench. I thought Nix was a good option, but he hasn't hit that well and sounds like one of those guys who only thrive if they play everyday. And what about McDonald? Do you go without a lefty on the bench?

I really hate to see what's happened to Kepp. He's one of my fav's. If you watched the games over the last two years, you have to admit that he was almost automatic if there were runners in scoring position. Before he fouled that pitch off his knee. I saw it live, and it looked horrible.

My question is when I saw it happen, it just looked like it could happen all the time with his open leg stance. He really put that knee out front. Seems like since he's come back, he's really struggled, and I have to think that he changed his stance a bit and really screwed himself up.

For what it's worth, I hope he finds it. I think he's the kind of guy whether off the bench or spot starting that you need on your team. Positive, clutch, tough and all about team. He was the starting SS at Georgia when they won the National Championship. The guy knows how to win.

Something else the Reds definitely need...

I'm with ya there buddy. :thumbup:

Captain Hook
03-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I hope that the last 3 ST games are a good indication of what we can expect for our starting pitching.17 IP 6 hits 0 ER from Harang,Volquez and Cueto.

Starting pitching like that can take any team a long way, even this Reds team.

ChatterRed
03-26-2009, 01:41 AM
I hope that the last 3 ST games are a good indication of what we can expect for our starting pitching.17 IP 6 hits 0 ER from Harang,Volquez and Cueto.

Starting pitching like that can take any team a long way, even this Reds team.

I'm not going to get my hopes up.......BUT..........the starting pitching is actually looking to be the strongest area for this team. When was the last time that was said about the Reds???? NEVER.

Hitting........meh.
Fielding........meh.
Bullpen.........okay.
Starting pitching...............WOO-HOO!!!!!!! :beerme: :thumbup: ;)

Ghosts of 1990
03-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Is Roenicke gonna make the team?

JBChance
03-26-2009, 02:35 AM
The pitching has definitely gotten better this past week. Maybe its true that before this week's games Harang was "working on pitches" and not worried too much about winning. Dunno.

The hitting has shown itself to be insufficient, thus far. We are hitting a paltry .245/.399./304 this spring - OBP is second to last among all teams. We've scored 112 runs and opponents have scored 126. I know "its just spring training" and all that, but, with that kind of run differential, we're not going to see the improvement that we all want.

This game clearly illustrates the problem at hand - we get a great pitching performance, good D and he can't get it going on the offensive side. We get 6 hits and one (unearned) run. Phillips and EdE weren't in, but they don't do much vs. RHP, anyway.

My questions are these: Can/ will they do something now about the offense? What can they do?

I say that they've already decided to stay as is and won't do more in '09 - waiting for 2010, I guess. At this point, it would be difficult to do with the contracts we picked up this spring. The OF it pretty much locked in - even if Taveras sucks on toast (I'm hopeful for league avg.), he's not going anywhere. LF is the only place and we've got the reclamation/ minor leaguer squad vying for the spot.

What they could do? Give up on AGon (ship has sailed, imo) and try to get the SS improved by trade. Platoon Taveras and Dickerson in CF and get a LF that can mash it. If we improve those two spots we might have a better shot.The trouble is, we don't have much to trade, currently. Keppinger, Masset, and Bray are some options, but w/o giving up some more pitching, getting a player to improve us will be difficult. If we can hang in there at .500 or so until the deadline, then packaging Harang or Arroyo w/ someone will increase or chances of getting what we need.

I might be sipping the Kool-aid, but I think w/ a couple of high OPS guys in those spots, we can compete now. Without it, I'm afraid we will see a lot more games like today's.

schmidty622
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Is Roenicke gonna make the team?

No

Ghosts of 1990
03-26-2009, 01:02 PM
No

shoot. So best hope for him is a call up?

ChatterRed
03-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I think if Detroit stumbles again this year............you will see the Reds work out a trade for Magglio or another similar mid-power/good average type hitter.

Ghosts of 1990
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I think if Detroit stumbles again this year............you will see the Reds work out a trade for Magglio or another similar mid-power/good average type hitter.

Why do you say that? Just a hunch?