PDA

View Full Version : Kent Mercker joining the Reds Radio Crew

robmadden1
03-29-2009, 03:58 PM
He is going to be on the radio side this yr instead of being a pitcher for the Reds he is Goin gto be doing a fe iosated games like when marty would be alone or when Marty is off when Tom or Jeff os on the TV side.

His First gamke is Monday, March 30, 2009

Marty mentioned this on are today (Sunday, March 29, 2009).

redsfanmia
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
This is exactly what the Reds need, yet another broadcaster.

Donder
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Nice! I for one am really excited about this. Remember when they showed interviews he did with other players at GABP? He should be very entertaining. He seems like a natural.

I'm just not sure they'll be able to get him much air time with all the other announcers (like redsfanmia alluded to) but I hope he works out as well as I expect him to.

gedred69
03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
This could be fantastic! Has anybody ever heard him on a Mic? He's hilarious!! He could be our answer to Bob Uecker.

batsfan
03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Jim Kelch should get another chance, I liked him.

JBChance
03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
This could be fantastic! Has anybody ever heard him on a Mic? He's hilarious!! He could be our answer to Bob Uecker.

"juuuust a bit outside." :laugh:

I always liked to read interviews with him - he didn't seem to take himself too seriously. One thing is for sure. He most love the game and wants to be around it. He has to for all he had to endure to come back from injury the way he did over his career.

I, for one, will be interested in how he does. He could be great.

He'd almost have to be better than Cowboy ;)

BearcatShane
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Jim Kelch should get another chance, I liked him.

Agreed, I thought he was very solid.

And for the record, I don't hate George Grande, he may be a bit goofy, but all in all he is a nice guy. He's not THAT bad.

gedred69
03-29-2009, 11:57 PM
"juuuust a bit outside." :laugh:

I always liked to read interviews with him - he didn't seem to take himself too seriously. One thing is for sure. He most love the game and wants to be around it. He has to for all he had to endure to come back from injury the way he did over his career.

I, for one, will be interested in how he does. He could be great.

He'd almost have to be better than Cowboy ;)

Question. "How did you catch the knuckleball"? Uecker: "I waited until it stopped rolling, then I picked it up".

DaytonFlyer
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
How many broadcasters do we have now? 26?

Are they trying to phase out Grande and Welsh? Not that I dislike either, but with Thom, Mercker, Brantley, and Papa Brennaman around, we just can't possibly give all these people the mic time they probably deserve.

batsfan
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Agreed, I thought he was very solid.

I live in the Louisville area and when I listen to bats games, I can't help but think how much better he is then the Cowboy. I believe that he has done play-by-play for the bats since 1989. If they do not resign Marty, I hope they bring him up!

NastyBoy
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
How many broadcasters do we have now? 26?

Are they trying to phase out Grande and Welsh? Not that I dislike either, but with Thom, Mercker, Brantley, and Papa Brennaman around, we just can't possibly give all these people the mic time they probably deserve.

162 Radio Games....

145 FSN TV Games....

That is 297 Broadcasts Total. When FSN expanded their broadcast schedule, Grande and Welsh did not want to do the additional games. Thom does the Saturday Fox game of the week. Merker is probably just a part-time guy to fill in the voids... but who knows, may there will be a few games with 3 guys in the booth.

redsfan1966
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Far as I have heard....Jim Kelch will still do "fill-in" work for a few games....looks like Mercker is being used a filler for days off for Brantley....though I dont understand why we do need another broadcaster---if it has to be, Merck is a good choice.

Listening today, sounds like Mercker needs to drop the "uhhhs" and "you knows" and loosen up a little...

goreds2
03-31-2009, 03:54 AM
I recorded the Reds game Monday on XM Radio. I thought Kent did a very good job with great insite.

Jerome
03-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Listened to the Thom/Mercker ST broadcast yesterday. Mercker was incredibly disappointing. Flat and nervous sounding. And touched on every cliche in the book. Sounded afraid to say something the least bit controversial or opinionated. About what I suspected.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

BEETTLEBUG
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Give him time he was nervous.He will be OK.

JBChance
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Listened to the Thom/Mercker ST broadcast yesterday. Mercker was incredibly disappointing. Flat and nervous sounding. And touched on every cliche in the book. Sounded afraid to say something the least bit controversial or opinionated. About what I suspected.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

He isn't a professional broadcaster, so he should get a little leeway to get his feet under him, imo. It's only ST, after all.

DaytonFlyer
03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, broadcasters need spring training too. ;)

JBChance
03-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah, broadcasters need spring training too. ;)

Hey, the FO and the players get the "it's only spring training" free pass. Why shouldn't he? :D