PDA

View Full Version : Keppinger traded to Houston for PTBNL

BearcatShane
03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Houston's a good place for a country boy.

Red in Atl
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I hate to see him go. He'll hit .300 and single handedly kill the Reds for the next 5 years...if he can find the courage to re-open that stance.

redsfandan
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Uh oh. I think alot of people won't be happy. Oh well.

I think this improves the chances of Janish making the team.

Root Down
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll be very interested to see who the Reds get out of this trade!

Brian
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Bah. If the Reds get anyone with much upside I'll be content. Nice guy and he filled a void reasonably well when called upon, but I'd rather give the spot to someone like Janish or Rosales.

BearcatShane
03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Root, don't expect anyone you've heard of or that will be major league ready anytime soon. Expect a low minor leaguer that has a few skills. The truth is Jeff Keppinger doesn't have a lot of worth around baseball. I like him though.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Good move. His lack of speed and defense doesn't fit in with the new-look REDS.

NastyBoy
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
So is Janish or Rosales going to make the team?

BearcatShane
03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
So is Janish or Rosales going to make the team?

I'd certainly think so. My vote is for Janish.

redsfandan
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
With Kepp gone and Gonzo still a question mark I'd say Janish is on the team.

BearcatShane
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Castilio
Rosales
Nix
Janish
McDonald

3 of these 5 will make the team. Janish and Rosales along with Nix would be my picks. Also, the Reds may make a deal for someone here soon, ya never know.

mroby85
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
ugh, don't like this move at all.

mlh1981
03-31-2009, 05:47 PM
He works hard, is versitile, and is a nice guy, but I was never sold on him the way that some guys were.

Ghosts of 1990
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm on the fence about this. I liked Keppinger.

davereds24
03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
helping out a division rival to save a few bucks, smart move

bgwilly31
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical reds move.

Sure he was older. But he was the best hitting short stop we had left.

I listened to dusty this morning before the game.

Basically he was saying Pitching comes first, than closely after that defense. No real need to worry about offense if you dont have those two things. Offense will come.

I completely disagree with this mindset when it comes to baseball. Maybe in other sports. But in baseball if you dont have hitters you dont score. Which means you dont win. Defense dont put runs on the board dusty.

bgwilly31
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical reds move.

Basically he was saying Pitching comes first, than closely after that defense. No real need to worry about offense if you dont have those two things. Offense will come.

I completely disagree with this mindset when it comes to baseball. Maybe in other sports. But in baseball if you dont have hitters you dont score. Which means you dont win. Defense dont put runs on the board dusty.

Oh and btw i may have missed something here, but what happened to hairston>?

xavr1
03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I agree. I dont like Keppinger at SS anymore than Hairston. And with Gonzo "healthy" he was the odd man out. Nice guy, but come on. Was Keppinger really going to help us win a championship? Maybe we will get some decent cash or a contributor for a couple years down the road.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Go, Adam, Go!

HUHUH
03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Castilio
Rosales
Nix
Janish
McDonald

3 of these 5 will make the team. Janish and Rosales along with Nix would be my picks. Also, the Reds may make a deal for someone here soon, ya never know.

Wait a minute. I'm assuming Gonzo starts at short and Dickerson in left. Gomes, Hairston and Hanigan are shoo-ins. That only leaves two from your list.
I would go with Janish (for D) and Nix (for LH bat).

redsfandan
03-31-2009, 06:39 PM
helping out a division rival to save a few bucks, smart move
Kepp will make a little more then league minimum so I really doubt money had anything to do with it.

LetsGoReds11
03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't mind this move at all as long as Janish does not get a spot.....A few years ago people were complaining about Juan Castro getting playing time.....I see Janish as another Castro... a decent glove with no bat....If thats the case then Janish should not make the ball club

Ghosts of 1990
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Good move. His lack of speed and defense doesn't fit in with the new-look REDS.

nah.

Only if the minor league player we get stays with our team and turns out to be a better major leaguer then Keppinger was. That is how you have to look at it. Highly unlikely. It wasn't a Griffey situation with addition by subtraction. It wasn't really a good move.....

Ghosts of 1990
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't mind this move at all as long as Janish does not get a spot.....A few years ago people were complaining about Juan Castro getting playing time.....I see Janish as another Castro... a decent glove with no bat....If thats the case then Janish should not make the ball club

Whats scary........ Janish may actually hit less then Castro :eek::(

Ghosts of 1990
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Typical reds move.

You're totally right. Guy was a RH stick too, a good one. Not like we have an abundance of capable RH hitters to begin with.

I mean; like I said, its a poor move to give the guy away for a minor leaguer. He's worth more then that. Houston's farm system is ransacked to begin with.

CRedsLarkin11
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
He really hasn't hit in a while guys. I think the move is fine, it just means what everybody initially thought when they re-signed him, Hairston is going to play short every day :eek: (not that Kepp made me feel any better)

Ghosts of 1990
03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
He really hasn't hit in a while guys. I think the move is fine, it just means what everybody initially thought when they re-signed him, Hairston is going to play short every day :eek: (not that Kepp made me feel any better)

He was hurt last year so he didn't have a lot of power, but I'm confident he'll be a better hitter then A Gon, Janish, etc

You know though just giving him away for a guy who will probably never play for us. Thats a 5th place move IMO.

Newman4
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Unless there is a follow up move, I don't understand this one. Yeah Kepp is slow and isn't an everyday player. His overall line was down last year, but he kills LHP. OPS .901 last season in a down year against LHP. Should have been kept as a Righty PH and bench player.

Red in Atl
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM
I love Kepp and think he will hit again, but on this team, he is expendable. So they sent him somewhere he can play. As noted he won't win us a Championship. And he won't hurt us the way trading Dunn to Houston could have. It's just one of those parts of baseball I hate, the business part.

Makes more sense for a good fielder to be the backup and come in late in the game. Either one of the kids can do it, but I'd expect Janish to be the guy. That's why you have a minor league system. Janish is extra cheap (not that I think they let go Kepp for money reasons), and it leaves the Reds plenty of options. Keppinger is one of those guys who's been around, so he makes a little more money and from next year on will make much more, and I assume out of options.

Dusty seems to have bought into the guys who can play anywhere. Janish in the infield, Hairston, Jr. infield for outfield, all the outfielders can pretty much play all positions and don't count out Castillo...

ian_madden
03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
I like this move. This will help us in the long run. I hope he does well for them when it doesn't affect us. Good luck Kepp, not the Astros. Go Reds, less than a week to go. Lets get excited Cincinnati.

roby
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM

Gonzalez didn't hit AT ALL last year..Oh, that's right, he was hurt TOO.

roby
03-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I like this move. This will help us in the long run. I hope he does well for them when it doesn't affect us. Good luck Kepp, not the Astros. Go Reds, less than a week to go. Lets get excited Cincinnati.

Honestly, Ian. I'd like to know what you like about this move. And how does giving a good utility guy away for free help the club in the long run? I just don't get it. As has already been stated, unless there is another move coming, this makes no sense at all to me.

Root Down
03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Honestly, Ian. I'd like to know what you like about this move. And how does giving a good utility guy away for free help the club in the long run? I just don't get it. As has already been stated, unless there is another move coming, this makes no sense at all to me.

I'm sure it wasn't free. Gotta put a little faith in Jocketty here. Maybe it will make more sense when we see what Cincy's end of this deal will be.

JBChance
04-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Because the Astros were reportedly needing a RHB utility infielder, we might get something in return of some value for the future.

Question is who? As JayBruce32 puts it well, Houston's Farm is "ransacked". I can't see an IF for an IF, unless its a AA prospect or less. Maybe some pitching? Any ideas?

I'm sorry to see Kepp go, but I think we already experienced his upside. His value is low now, but would be downright gone if he continued to struggle. Better to trade now (and get something) rather than outright release him later.

swaisuc
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM

I think your comparison is pretty accurate, but I consider both Janish and Castro (when we were playing him) far better than "decent" with the glove. Decent wouldn't get them playing time. Standout defense with no bat (closer to my opinion), gets you at least a roster spot.

bgwilly31
04-01-2009, 11:50 AM

i'd like to hear how this helps in the long run.

I think your comparison is pretty accurate, but I consider both Janish and Castro (when we were playing him) far better than "decent" with the glove. Decent wouldn't get them playing time. Standout defense with no bat (closer to my opinion), gets you at least a roster spot.

You cant be a one sided player and make it in the big leagues. You cant just have a great glove and not hit the broad sided of a barn.

Which is why janish is not going to help this team win a championship either.

Eric_the_Red
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
You cant be a one sided player and make it in the big leagues.

Sure you can. Just ask Adam Du-....er, nevermind. ;)

ChatterRed
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
This will come back to haunt the Reds.

bgwilly31
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
This will come back to haunt the Reds.

Yeah not to mention we traded him to a divisional foe.

Its like we just a did the enemy a favor for nothing in return.

Oh hey you wanna beat us up this year. Ehh thats cool. Heres something that will help you out with that.

PedroBourbon
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I always liked Kepp, but to quote Mitch Barnhart on Billie Gillispie "He wasn't a good fit" for the Reds. Best of luck to him.

Maybe Mary Jo Perrino of WLEX Sports will get some attention from her husband now. You guys in the Lex, KY area know what I mean.:D

Eric_the_Red
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah not to mention we traded him to a divisional foe.

Its like we just a did the enemy a favor for nothing in return.

Oh hey you wanna beat us up this year. Ehh thats cool. Heres something that will help you out with that.

Really? Wow, I never knew a bench player could have such an effect on divisional races. Maybe the Reds should ask the Cardinals if they would trade them Joe Mather. The Central would be theirs!!

Seriously, it's Jeff Keppinger. And we dont even know who the PTBN is. How about we wait until the team gets the other half of this deal before we rank it up there with the Frank Robinson deal? (And even then we should give it a season or three if it is a prospect involved.)

And, as far as this deal haunting the team, that is garbage. We all know only ONE thing will haunt: WALKS WILL HAUNT! :laugh:

CRedsLarkin11
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Gonzalez didn't hit AT ALL last year..Oh, that's right, he was hurt TOO.

I definitely didn't intend my post to be an outcry for A Gon to play...there just isn't a good option in Cincy at short

OesterPoster
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I think some of you are delusional. Keppinger was expendable, plain and simple. I'm thrilled that Jocketty was able to get anything for him at all.

Jerome
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com/2009/04/rip-jeff-keppinger.html

fadetoblack2880
04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
keppinger is another player overvalued by reds fans. players like him are a dime a dozen. i hate to see him dealt, but they'll be another guy like him.

thorn
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Just think if we had kept Denorfia and Kepp we would be favored to win the division maybe event the world series. ;)

fadetoblack2880
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Just think if we had kept Denorfia and Kepp we would be favored to win the division maybe event the world series. ;)

no kiddin.

HalMorrisRules
04-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Keppinger fires some zingers at the Reds.

When talking about his new team, Keppinger smiled as he looked around the clubhouse at the lockers or Roy Oswalt, Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee and Ivan Rodriguez.

“You look at the Reds, and that’s pretty much the kind of guys they don’t have over there,” he said. “They don’t have a big three-hole guy who can knock it out of the park in any direction and hit .300 every year.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6354536.html

CRedsLarkin11
04-02-2009, 08:49 AM

Surprised they mentioned Pudge instead of Carlos Lee..big name but Ramon Hernandez will probably out hit him

CRedsLarkin11
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Reds likely to get Sutton in deal Reds likely to get Sutton in deal Updated 4/1/2009
Drew Sutton, SS HOU
News: Reds manager Dusty Baker said during pregame warmups Wednesday that the Reds could get 25-year-old shortstop Drew Sutton from the Astros in the deal for Jeff Keppinger. Sutton hit .317 with 20 homers and 69 RBI in 133 games for Double-A Corpus Christi last season. "We get a player to be named later, and I assume it's going to be him," Baker said. "The Astros told me he has good skills, good talent and good speed. They told me he's a ballplayer." Analysis: Sutton's pop makes him an intriguing middle infielder, but he certainly wouldn't have a starting job with the Reds. He doesn't deserve a roster spot in Fantasy right now.

Found this on cbs fantasy updates, that would certainly be nice

Grounds_Crew
04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry if this has been posted, but I didnt read the entire thread.

When talking about his new team, Keppinger smiled as he looked around the clubhouse at the lockers or Roy Oswalt, Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee and Ivan Rodriguez.
"You look at the Reds, and that's pretty much the kind of guys they don't have over there," he said. "They don't have a big three-hole guy who can knock it out of the park in any direction and hit .300 every year."

Gooooood.....bye Keppinger! I used to love this guy until I watched a live interview of him at Reds Fest. He was extremely arrogant and rude...all while chomping on a huge piece of gum while being interviewed by 700WLW. He doesn't seem to show any appreciation for the Reds in the above quote either. Peace out girl scout!

texasdave
04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Article about and video of Drew Sutton:

http://baseball.blogdig.net/archives/articles/February2009/13/Astros_Minor_League_Profile___Drew_Sutton.html

Root Down
04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Article about and video of Drew Sutton:

http://baseball.blogdig.net/archives/articles/February2009/13/Astros_Minor_League_Profile___Drew_Sutton.html

The guy is patient at the plate and has a great bat. His OPS last year was .931 with a .523 SLG in AA. Until 2008 he had average numbers but vastly improved last year. Apparently the scouts expect him to skip from AA to the bigs because of his bat, though he does have a slight downside with his D. I would take him for Kepp any day, tons of promise in this guy.

texasdave
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
The guy is patient at the plate and has a great bat. His OPS last year was .931 with a .523 SLG in AA. Until 2008 he had average numbers but vastly improved last year. Apparently the scouts expect him to skip from AA to the bigs because of his bat, though he does have a slight downside with his D. I would take him for Kepp any day, tons of promise in this guy.

I am not so sure about the skipping AAA part. I looked on MLB.com and didn't see that he had any spring training at-bats with Houston this spring. You would think if he had any shot at making the big leagues straight out of spring training they would have worked him into a game or two down there in Florida They also have him listed at 2B.

bgwilly31
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry if this has been posted, but I didnt read the entire thread.

Gooooood.....bye Keppinger! I used to love this guy until I watched a live interview of him at Reds Fest. He was extremely arrogant and rude...all while chomping on a huge piece of gum while being interviewed by 700WLW. He doesn't seem to show any appreciation for the Reds in the above quote either. Peace out girl scout!

didnt realize these things about kepp. But if its true. I agree. You wont be missed and i hope we kick your booty at houston this year.

Root Down
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I am not so sure about the skipping AAA part. I looked on MLB.com and didn't see that he had any spring training at-bats with Houston this spring. You would think if he had any shot at making the big leagues straight out of spring training they would have worked him into a game or two down there in Florida They also have him listed at 2B.

He is a second baseman which explains some of his many errors. He played SS and 3B at times last year. He had 26 errors in 2008, 10 of which came from SS and 3B according to that article. With any luck he can work it out and bring his D up to par with this offense. It appears that his D is what is keeping him out of immediate consideration for the bigs at this point.

redhawk61
04-02-2009, 01:02 PM

apparently Keppinger wasn't aware of a guy named Joey Votto on the team....I guess Joey is a really really quite guy:rolleyes:

OesterPoster
04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm sure Keppinger will love Houston, especially since their farm system is either the worst or 2nd worst system in the league...which means nobody will be moving up to take his job any time soon.

TC81190
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Nice quote by Keppinger. Hope he has fun battling with the Pirates for 5th place this season.

At first I was going to say I didn't like to see him go, I was always a Keppinger fan, but the Reds gave him more of a chance than any team he's played for. He was our starting SS last year despite being a statue in the field and having a weak stick for an offensive-minded player. Then he goes and makes a comment like that?

CRedsLarkin11
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Surprised they mentioned Pudge instead of Carlos Lee..big name but Ramon Hernandez will probably out hit him

I guess I skipped right over him, I am pretty smart ya know :p:

JBChance
04-03-2009, 12:46 AM

“You look at the Reds, and that’s pretty much the kind of guys they don’t have over there,” he said. “They don’t have a big three-hole guy who can knock it out of the park in any direction and hit .300 every year.”

Says the guy who's been on 4 teams in 5 years.

Way to go Jeff - take some parting jabs at a team that gave you a chance. Nice

Buh-bye!

Kingspoint
04-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I think I heard that DeWayne Wise just won the starting Center Field position for a team. Maybe it was another ex-RED Centerfielder.

bounty37h
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Says the guy who's been on 4 teams in 5 years.

Way to go Jeff - take some parting jabs at a team that gave you a chance. Nice

Buh-bye!

Wasn't a neccesary shot for him to make by any means, but its also not far from the truth sadly. We have some young guys now who may/should reach that, but not there yet.

Eric_the_Red
04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Wasn't a neccesary shot for him to make by any means, but its also not far from the truth sadly. We have some young guys now who may/should reach that, but not there yet.

True, but I'd take the Reds offense, such as it is, for the next 5 years over the Astros for the next 5 years.
Pudge is on his last leg, Tejada is on the decline, Lee will most likely begin to decline and Berkman has peaked. Plus they don't have much in the pipeline from the minors.

JBChance
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM

I agree that while its not far from the truth, every team has its warts. Ours is offense. Should he make a comment about the Astro's minor leagues, for instance?

It certainly wasn't cool for him to go record with the negative comments. It's kind of an unwritten rule - praise your team and defer criticism of the opposition, especially if its a team that you just left. Certain players do spout off regularly (see Ramirez, Manny) but usually those are the top stars. The teams will deal with that because the players have the clout. Keppinger doesn't have a lot of clout.

redsfandan
04-03-2009, 03:42 PM
True, but I'd take the Reds offense, such as it is, for the next 5 years over the Astros for the next 5 years.
Pudge is on his last leg, Tejada is on the decline, Lee will most likely begin to decline and Berkman has peaked. Plus they don't have much in the pipeline from the minors.
x2 plus we already have better starting pitching.

Hondo
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Atleast Walt Jocketty agrees with me...