PDA

View Full Version : Nick Swisher

Newman4
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
With Brett Gardner named starting CF in New York, anyone see the Swisher market opening back up? A quick glance at their bullpen and it looks pretty weak. How about a David Weathers/Nick Swisher swap?

jmac
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I dont know about Swisher but I do know this offense is starting to scare me.
Marty said today the # of games where we have scored 3 or less runs. I know it is ST but Dusty has been playing his regulars alot lately.

Shawn_RedsFan
03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
i would love a weathers/ swisher swap but it is unlikely it would happen

Nasty_Boy
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I like Swisher... and the Reds need a bat.

Who woulda guessed that a team with guys with history's of low OBP would struggle to score runs? Good thing they're fast!

Captain Hook
03-31-2009, 11:12 PM
So glad we didn't trade Baily for Swisher this winter.I can't believe people were actually for that.

As far as getting him now.I don't think he would make a big difference.The Reds should wait and see how they are doing in a few months.If the pitching is carrying us enough that we are competing then by that time some other team will be desperate to unload someone who can really help the offense.Hold our chips now and cash in later for higher value.

JBChance
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
So glad we didn't trade Baily for Swisher this winter.I can't believe people were actually for that.

As far as getting him now.I don't think he would make a big difference.The Reds should wait and see how they are doing in a few months.If the pitching is carrying us enough that we are competing then by that time some other team will be desperate to unload someone who can really help the offense.Hold our chips now and cash in later for higher value.

In a few months, it may be too late for '09. If you're thinking waiting to build for 2010, then OK. But know this, if we could get Swisher now, he could be a piece of the future puzzle. He doesn't bat for avg. but has a decent OBP due to his plate discipline. His value is low right now because of his forgettable '08, but he is starting to show some signs of waking with 11 RBI's and an OBP of .381 in ST. If we could get him cheap (comparably), we could have a nice player into the future - he's certainly better than the rest of the OF, other than Bruce, of course.

Nasty_Boy
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
He might actually OPS Mr. Bruce if he played in GABP this season. Jay is fun to watch and he should be a great player, but he is still an easy out for most southpaws.

JBChance
04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
He might actually OPS Mr. Bruce if he played in GABP this season. Jay is fun to watch and he should be a great player, but he is still an easy out for most southpaws.

Maybe last year, but Bruce, imo, is set to improve. How could he not. Some reasons:

1. being so young and just learning
2. his great attitude
3. his raw talent.

I think it would be great to watch Swisher try to do it, though. :)

Nasty_Boy
04-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I hope Bruce tears it up this season. I think he's going to be very up and down this season, with the highs being unreal and the lows being terrible. I think he'll grow from it and be HUGE in 2010.

Captain Hook
04-01-2009, 12:32 AM
In a few months, it may be too late for '09. If you're thinking waiting to build for 2010, then OK. But know this, if we could get Swisher now, he could be a piece of the future puzzle. He doesn't bat for avg. but has a decent OBP due to his plate discipline. His value is low right now because of his forgettable '08, but he is starting to show some signs of waking with 11 RBI's and an OBP of .381 in ST. If we could get him cheap (comparably), we could have a nice player into the future - he's certainly better than the rest of the OF, other than Bruce, of course.

You might be right or maybe not.I like swisher but I just don't think he makes or breaks this team.If they are going to do well this year it will be because of pitching.I don't mind if they try to improve the offense but just not with a guy that is owed a ton of money for for the next few years.This year the $$$$ owed to Swish isn't too bad but it gets out of hand in 2010,11 and 12.More then anything I just can't see anything happening here because of that.

JBChance
04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
You might be right or maybe not.I like swisher but I just don't think he makes or breaks this team.If they are going to do well this year it will be because of pitching.I don't mind if they try to improve the offense but just not with a guy that is owed a ton of money for for the next few years.This year the $$$$ owed to Swish isn't too bad but it gets out of hand in 2010,11 and 12.More then anything I just can't see anything happening here because of that.

A ton of money compared to younger players, but not bad compared to quite a few players. 2010 is still only 6.75 mill and might not be bad if he can produce like he has showed he can. You can't always improve the team with younger players. Sometimes you have to pay for some talent. I know this is something that seems to elude the Reds' FO sometimes, but its a fact of baseball.

BTW, no good team should have a player that "makes or breaks it", imo. The team should be an accumulation of talent and have some options. If it has a "makes or breaks it" player, how can the team deal with injury or a bad slump(s)? The answer is that consistent, good teams have enough talent to ride out those misfortunes.

Swisher could be a part of that talent pool.