PDA

View Full Version : Fish Fry Friday?

Allegro
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
How many of you enjoy taking a weekly Friday fish fry? It's big in Cincinnati, am curious as to how big a deal it is in other areas. You gots to love the cod, cold beer and fellowship. My local faves are St. Paul in Florence and All Saints in Walton.

westofyou
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
How many of you enjoy taking a weekly Friday fish fry? It's big in Cincinnati, am curious as to how big a deal it is in other areas. You gots to love the cod, cold beer and fellowship. My local faves are St. Paul in Florence and All Saints in Walton.

It's an event tied around Catholicism, you're hard pressed to find them on the West Coast, which tends to be more secular overall and the Latinos representing the majority of your Catholics, and I'm uncertain about fish fry's in their culture.. except for fish tacos.

Caseyfan21
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm allergic to fish, so I tend to avoid fish fries. :)

Allegro
04-04-2009, 12:14 PM
The funny/ironic part is that eating fish on Friday for Catholics is really supposed to be about "fasting" and doing without. Last night I had crab cakes with chipoltle mayo, blackened salmon and crab bisque and it was delicious. It seemed kind of weird eating that type of fare in a school cafeteria. I made quite the sacrifice.

Yachtzee
04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
It's an event tied around Catholicism, you're hard pressed to find them on the West Coast, which tends to be more secular overall and the Latinos representing the majority of your Catholics, and I'm uncertain about fish fry's in their culture.. except for fish tacos.

I think they're also popular with British ex-pats living in the US. My mother-in-law is English and loves this time of year. The US is woefully lacking on "Chip Shops." Though not Catholic, it provides her with ample opportunities to have her beloved fish and chips. The local British-American society has a regular Friday fish fry year-round.

SunDeck
04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
My dad used to take us to Skyline on Fridays during Lent because the fish fry at our parish was too crowded.

KittyDuran
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
The last two Fridays I've went to Claddagh's over in Mason (there's also one at the Levee). First was just regular fish 'n chips - but yesterday was a salmon boxty, which was fantastic!

George Anderson
04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Born and raised Catholic but I always found it interesting if I recall my religion correctly that it was the 12 Disciples who mandated that meat should not be eaten on Fridays during Lent.
What makes it interesting and a bit "fishy" is the occupation of the vast majority of the disciples were fisherman......go figure.

*BaseClogger*
04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
The funny/ironic part is that eating fish on Friday for Catholics is really supposed to be about "fasting" and doing without. Last night I had crab cakes with chipoltle mayo, blackened salmon and crab bisque and it was delicious. It seemed kind of weird eating that type of fare in a school cafeteria. I made quite the sacrifice.

Yeah, its not really sacrifice if you expect the menu to be altered to include non-meat dishes that are just as delicious...

Roy Tucker
04-05-2009, 03:41 PM
The last two Fridays I've went to Claddagh's over in Mason (there's also one at the Levee). First was just regular fish 'n chips - but yesterday was a salmon boxty, which was fantastic!

Kitty, we go there often. Nothing like sitting at the bar for a couple drafts and then ordering off the menu.

We've done the fish fries up around here. St Columbans in Loveland, Guardian Angels over on Beechmont, All Saints in Montgomery. All Saints was really good. We'll try our home turf at St. Susanna in Mason on Friday. I got out of working the fish fry this year.

redsfan1966
04-05-2009, 03:59 PM
We are not Catholic, but me and the missus usually hit the St. Matthias fish fry (good stuff) here in North Columbus---they support the non-profit I work for and it gives us a chance to touch base with the neighbors....

Newport Red
04-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Fish fries are big on Fridays year round in Milwaukee.

paintmered
04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Born and raised Catholic but I always found it interesting if I recall my religion correctly that it was the 12 Disciples who mandated that meat should not be eaten on Fridays during Lent.
What makes it interesting and a bit "fishy" is the occupation of the vast majority of the disciples were fisherman......go figure.

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law when it comes to Friday eating during Lent.

The letter of the law says that land-dwelling mammals and birds are prohibited.

The spirit of the law is to avoid extravagance and gluttony in your meals. Many years ago, meat was a real extravagance and luxury. So don't go crazy on lobster just because it's from the sea. To do so means that you're missing the point.

SunDeck
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law when it comes to Friday eating during Lent.

The letter of the law says that land-dwelling mammals and birds are prohibited.

The spirit of the law is to avoid extravagance and gluttony in your meals. Many years ago, meat was a real extravagance and luxury. So don't go crazy on lobster just because it's from the sea. To do so means that you're missing the point.

Yes, fish. But only from a box.
That's the way we did it.

vaticanplum
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
We go to the Legion for their fish fries during Lent sometimes. the fish is more patriotic than religious, I guess. It's not very good but the beer is very cheap and it's walking distance. I'm strangely obsessed with the American Legion.