PDA

View Full Version : Any idea about Gomes?

Captain Hook
04-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Has anyone herd if Gomes has decided to report to AAA?If no decision has been made when does he need to decide?

I've mentioned before in other post that this guy could really benefit from playing every day and getting a lot of ABs.If he gets hot like Hariston Jr. and Bruce did last year I think it would carry over in the Bigs for him the same as it did for those two.He's been able to do it in the past and is still young.I can't believe he isn't on the team in the first place.

If he chooses not to report I guess none of this matters much.I can't imagine he would want to be a FA considering the current market.I imagine the best chance of the Reds loosing Gomes is another team offering him a roster spot.I hope that doesn't happen and he reports.

Redus
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Has anyone herd if Gomes has decided to report to AAA?If no decision has been made when does he need to decide?

I've mentioned before in other post that this guy could really benefit from playing every day and getting a lot of ABs.If he gets hot like Hariston Jr. and Bruce did last year I think it would carry over in the Bigs for him the same as it did for those two.He's been able to do it in the past and is still young.I can't believe he isn't on the team in the first place.

If he chooses not to report I guess none of this matters much.I can't imagine he would want to be a FA considering the current market.I imagine the best chance of the Reds loosing Gomes is another team offering him a roster spot.I hope that doesn't happen and he reports.

He hasnt decided yet if he'll report.Walt is supposed to talk to his agent today to see if he'll report.Per rotoworld.

leakbrewergator
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't know what he's thinking. Gomes isn't going to make anyone's big league roster now. He definitely needs more work.

Jerome
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't know what he's thinking. Gomes isn't going to make anyone's big league roster now. He definitely needs more work.

I think he was shellshocked about not making the team, as were most of us, and now he has no idea what he wants. I feel bad for him.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Shawn_RedsFan
04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I really hope he decides to go to AAA, to be totally honest though the main thing i want right now is to get rid of mcdonald...i am glad he isn't playing today

xavr1
04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Just read on Fay's blog that he expects him to accept the assignment considering how other FA OFs are still looking for work.

RED VAN HOT
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
My guess is that Gomes's decision is what is holding up publishing the Louisville roster. Add Castillo, Dorn, and Valaika to what is currently posted on the Bats site and you are still one player short. I presumed that place was being held for Gomes.

Newman4
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
mlbtraderumors reports that Gomes has officially accepted the AAA assignment. Good news.

Captain Hook
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Just saw on mlb trade rumors that Gomes accepted assignment while Jacque Jones was released.I didn't know Jones was still around but I'm glad he's gone now.

shredda2000
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Just saw on mlb trade rumors that Gomes accepted assignment while Jacque Jones was released.I didn't know Jones was still around but I'm glad he's gone now.

Sounds good to me.

TC81190
04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Jones hasn't been around for a couple weeks now. As for an idea about Gomes, I have one; put him on our bench, cut Laynce Nix.

JBChance
04-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Jones hasn't been around for a couple weeks now. As for an idea about Gomes, I have one; put him on our bench, cut Laynce Nix.

We have to see if Hairston is hurt or not. If he is, Gomes may be up, before you know it.

I liked how, after his AB, they took McDonald out and had the other guys in there. Maybe they see that he's not good enough? One can only hope.

BLEEDS
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
We could have used Gomes last night. At least he has a chance to get the ball out of the infield - unlike Old McDonny and Janish.

The way our defense is playing, I think I'd rather slide Dickerson over to Center and bring in Gomes to play left in a situation like last night when Hairston (shocker!) got injured.

We need to get RUNS late in games, not defensive replacements; it's going to be our achilles all season IMO.

Our bench offense is totally pathetic.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Since when is Johnny Gomes the second coming of Hank Aaron? Sure, he is probably better than most of our bench, but some of you are acting like if he was on the roster all would be solved.

Let's be realistic....it's Johnny Gomes. I don't think he is the type of player that would transform any team to a contender.

DTCromer
04-09-2009, 08:55 AM
We need to get RUNS late in games, not defensive replacements; it's going to be our achilles all season IMO.

7 runs in a ball game is good enough to win any game. Gomes was the least of our problems last night.

bounty37h
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Would rather have Nix then Macdonald

Captain Hook
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Since when is Johnny Gomes the second coming of Hank Aaron? Sure, he is probably better than most of our bench, but some of you are acting like if he was on the roster all would be solved.

Let's be realistic....it's Johnny Gomes. I don't think he is the type of player that would transform any team to a contender.

I see what your saying but then again most bench guys are not going to transform any team into a contender.Bench player are very important though and I feel Gomes is a guy that can really be a big help weather its off the bench,spot starting or even in a platoon.

Not to mention that this is a guy that hit a HR about every 10 ABs in spring training and while I know its only ST Gomes has shown that kind of power in the bigs.Even if he doesn't come up right away we will need him at some point.I'm just glad that he is once again a option.

bounty37h
04-09-2009, 10:02 AM
^and he has WS experience, knows what it takes, even if he isnt "the guy" to take us there, he could/should still be valuable to this team

leakbrewergator
04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I see what your saying but then again most bench guys are not going to transform any team into a contender.Bench player are very important though and I feel Gomes is a guy that can really be a big help weather its off the bench,spot starting or even in a platoon.

Not to mention that this is a guy that hit a HR about every 10 ABs in spring training and while I know its only ST Gomes has shown that kind of power in the bigs.Even if he doesn't come up right away we will need him at some point.I'm just glad that he is once again a option.

I don't know about Gomes showing any kind of ability in the bigs. Here in Tampa, the joke was that Gomes survived the whole season b/c of one at bat he had against Pittsburgh, where he fouled off pitch after pitch before producing an RBI. He is a well below average hitter, and a mediocre fielder.

^and he has WS experience, knows what it takes, even if he isnt "the guy" to take us there, he could/should still be valuable to this team

I wouldn't count him for world series experience. I think you should actually play in a game and contribute someway to have had World Series experience.

bounty37h
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
He was at least in a clubhouse and field during one, and recently, with a team that had no established supserstars, is young, had no recent success, etc, much like this Reds team, so I think it is valuable to this team in some fashion.

Captain Hook
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't know about Gomes showing any kind of ability in the bigs. Here in Tampa, the joke was that Gomes survived the whole season b/c of one at bat he had against Pittsburgh, where he fouled off pitch after pitch before producing an RBI. He is a well below average hitter, and a mediocre fielder.

I wouldn't count him for world series experience. I think you should actually play in a game and contribute someway to have had World Series experience.

I would guess that your referring to what Gomes did last year and must have missed the 3 years before he was hurt.Its ok.I don't think anyone else was watching Tampa back then either.He actually has shown an above average ability to hit lefty's.Good OPS, OBP and good power numbers as well.

He is needed to fill a bench roll.That is it.I don't think anyone has suggested that he needs to be the everyday left fielder.I'm by no means a huge Gomes fan but considering everything we know about the guy he is a nice option to have.I'm not going to go overboard defending him here because we are once again talking about a minimal roll that he would have.

Also, nobody is suggesting that the Reds need a guy that has World Series experience.Why would we need that anyways?

leakbrewergator
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually someone did suggest we needed Gomes for his "World Series experience."

His average was never really high, even before his injury. The only thing his injury really hindered that he was good at before was his fielding.

Captain Hook
04-09-2009, 10:55 AM

His average was never really high, even before his injury. The only thing his injury really hindered that he was good at before was his fielding.

Sorry, I missed that post about the WS.

Didn't want to waste my time looking this up but here you go

Career vs LHP as RH PA 489 AB 414 H 110 HR 25 RBI 61 BA .266 OBP.369 SLG .510 OPS .879

I think thats above average.

BLEEDS
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
7 runs in a ball game is good enough to win any game.

Any game eh? How about when the other team scores 8 or more?!?!?

Point is, we were within a couple runs a few times - doesn't matter if it's 2-0 or 25-23. When the game's close late, and your options are old McDonald and his .379 career (minor league) OPS, Janish, Nix and Hanigan, you're in some serious trouble. Our best bench bat is actually a pitcher for crying out loud!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

schmidty622
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks like Gomes accepted his assignment. Won't be long before we see him in Cincy.

BLEEDS
04-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like Gomes accepted his assignment. Won't be long before we see him in Cincy.

We can only hope. Perhaps that means we may see McDonald at, um, McDonald's ?!? :laugh::roll:

:pray:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Captain Hook
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
We can only hope. Perhaps that means we may see McDonald at, um, McDonald's ?!? :laugh::roll:

:pray:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Good one.:jump:

bounty37h
04-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Wrong, I never suggested we needed that, said it is an extra bonus. Big difference. He is more valuable then you have made him out to be however.

Hey Meat
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I just don't get it. We were actually considering picking up a guy like Sheffield and we don't put Gomes in the Bigs. You want to talk about a cancerous player as far as team chemistry-SHeffield is the posterboy for that.

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I just don't get it. We were actually considering picking up a guy like Sheffield and we don't put Gomes in the Bigs. You want to talk about a cancerous player as far as team chemistry-SHeffield is the posterboy for that.

Actually Sean Casey said that in Detroit Sheff was a great teammate and clubhouse presence. I think Sheff's problems in the past have mostly been with the FO, but not with teammates.

Not saying he would be a good fit for this Reds team, however.

Hey Meat
04-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Really, I guess you are right, because I remember hearing that he pretty much stayed to himself in Detroit, but I don't think that is real good either. Regardless, I am sure glad we didn't get him.