PDA

View Full Version : I am what you might call a perennial fair weather Reds fan...

Fon Duc Tow
04-09-2009, 07:05 AM
I am what you might call a perennial fair weather Reds fan.

Every year I look forward to Opening Day.

Opening Day finally comes and its like Christmas Day as a kid waiting to open up presents.

The first couple of weeks, I don't miss an inning.

Then, gradually, as the season goes on and I see they won't contend again, my Reds time gets less and less.

By the All-Star break, I have usually stopped watching altogether and don't even check the box score.

My Bengals seasons are eerily similar by the way... :rolleyes:

Being a Cincinnati sports fan just gets old, that's all I'm saying. How long has it been for the Reds? I don't know how you people do it year after year.

Yeah I'll be listening to the game today. But even if the Reds win, you just know that come October the Mets will be in the playoffs and the Reds will be in 4th or 5th place, hovering somewhere below .500. Sheffield is a good analogy. The Mets didn't really even need him. The Reds did though. But as usual...

The losing just gets old, that's all. /end rant

BigJohn
04-09-2009, 07:34 AM
It is all about the $$$ sounds like you want to see a salary cap in MLB!

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't really think that is called being a fan, but okay. There will be plenty of room on the bandwagon later.

Fon Duc Tow
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
It is all about the $$$ sounds like you want to see a salary cap in MLB!

Absolutely.

I don't really think that is called being a fan, but okay. There will be plenty of room on the bandwagon later.

Right next to the Bengals bandwagon I am sure... :rolleyes:

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Right next to the Bengals bandwagon I am sure... :rolleyes:

You do remember how many Bengals "fans" there were in 2005 right? I think the same thing would happen if the Reds made the playoffs in the next year or two.

I understand your apathy, especially with the Bengals. I am a Bengals fan but have a hard time supporting that franchise these days. (I've stopped going to games and buying merchandise.)

But I believe the Reds organization is much closer to winning than most casual fans realize. Just my 2 pennies.

bounty37h
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
^Yeah, I was amazed how many Reds hats started popping up in NC in 90- after they won-I normally got joked on when I wore mine, but for a few weeks everyone had one. I can understand where the OP is coming from, I am all giddy first weeks/months of season, checking box scores religously each morning, etc., but after awhile, when the season is lost, I have a hard time wanting to even check the ticker to see if we lost. I am hoping this is the year, as we do every year, that we start to turn the corner, and do think the future is looking good, jsut hope it comes along at a faster pace then we are used to.

Root Down
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
It's sad to see so many of you giving up on the season already. As I am a constant (I guess you would call it) Reds and Bengals fan. It's kind of hard to not see a large difference in the Bengals, who believe it or not are annual contenders since the arrival of Lewis. If it weren't for TJ and Ocho deciding not to come to pre-season workouts we may not have had to play 2 preseasons last season before Palmer got injured and the rest of the season was a wash. I don't think that will be much of a problem this year because Palmer is healthy with a new young crew. With a few additions to the line I don't think you have much to complain about with the Bengals other than the lack of a Superbowl trophy which will come in due time.

I guess I understand your lack of patience when it comes to the Reds. However, since the arrival of Jocketty there have been a lot of changes, most have been looking toward the future. The Reds are one of the youngest franchises in the league right now with ample talent. 6 of 8 starting players on this team are under 27 years old. 3 of 5 of the pitchers in the starting rotation are under 26, and it is arguably one of the best in the MLB. With a very small sample size of 2 games many people here are ready to give up on the season. Allow me to turn that around on you, this offense that many said wouldn't be able to produce has averaged 5 runs against a great team with tough pitching. In both of their first two games they were within one hit of a win. With any young team there are ups and downs. Lets just hope more ups than downs this year which is quite possible. To sum it up, there is more of an upside to both teams, certainly more than there used to be, and the future looks bright in Cincinnati.

jmac
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Many people pick the Mets to be in the WS. They have won the first two games by 3 runs.
So many things last night could have turned game around.
If EE got runner home early. Bruce just missed on the fly out. And so on.
Lots of positives to at least get out of two losses ( vs Mets)

jmac
04-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I actually watched Baseball Tonight today. I dont even enjoy watching it when Reds lose. Dont ask me why cause I dont know. :dunno:

JBChance
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
It's sad to see so many of you giving up on the season already. As I am a constant (I guess you would call it) Reds and Bengals fan. It's kind of hard to not see a large difference in the Bengals, who believe it or not are annual contenders since the arrival of Lewis.

I'd have to say NOT. They were 4 up, 11 down in '08. That's not a "contender"; maybe for the #1 draft pick. They have had exactly one "contending" season w/ Lewis - 2005. And, they had better get a move on if they want to contend. Palmer and his elbow/ knees aren't getting any younger.

I think that the Reds are closer. They have some good young talent, no doubt. What they need is for the FO to add the right pieces to that nucleus. In '09 they didn't necessarily go for it. I think they're building for 2010 and 2011 when the new crop of players hits the majors and our current young guys get established.

I just don't think you can judge other fans' feelings and frustrations considering the terrible performance of both franchises in recent times. It ain't easy loving these teams. When they're losing or making bad moves, it becomes more like a job than fun to check the scores/ news.

I still always do, though. :)

Ghosts of 1990
04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
You dont wanna like the Reds, its okay..... we'll have fun rooting for them win or lose.

I wish there was 180 games. I can't get enough.

will5979
04-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Loving baseball so much it is definitely fun to root for a winner. In my life the Reds were fun to watch in the late 80s, 90 was the best, 92, 94-96 were good, 99 was good, 2000 was good, and 2002/2004/2006 was good till the All Star break.

This has been a tough franchise to follow this decade. But now matter how hard I try, I can't follow any other team other than the Reds. I make a claim that the Yankees are my favorite AL club, but I don't nearly have the enthusiam I have towards the Reds. My love for the Yankees is because of Reggie Jackson and the fact that the Yanks prevented the Braves from winning back to back World Series' in the 90s.

xavr1
04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I actually watched Baseball Tonight today. I dont even enjoy watching it when Reds lose. Dont ask me why cause I dont know. :dunno:

I am the exact same way. I watch the Reds games regardless of how good they are, but I NEVER watch national baseball news after a Reds loss. I always watch after a win.

ChatterRed
04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
There is nothing wrong with being a Fair Weather Fan.

It's no different than supporting a good product. If GM is producing good cars.......buy their cars. If Sony is producing good TV's, then buy their TV's. If the Bengals are producing a winning team..........then buy tickets to their games..........if UC is producing a good football team.........then buy tickets to their games.............if no team in Cincinnati is doing well........then save your money.

There is no shame in saving your money if the product on the field sucks.

reds2221
04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I was not born until the april after the reds last world series, so other than the 98 season (which I do have memories of, but when I've look at what happened online I've realized that my memories were slightly skewered) I've grown up with a losing team. No matter how band the reds are doing I always watch the games on tv. Win or lose, I'd rather watch them play than any other game. When it comes down to the AL I'll watch just about any of their games (unless the reds are playing at the same time of course) and I can usually find a team to root for for that one game. I'm also a fan of the bengals, but I usually do not care about them until the reds season is FULLY over instead of just being without hope.

Natty Redlocks
04-11-2009, 12:05 PM
There is nothing wrong with being a Fair Weather Fan.

It's no different than supporting a good product. If GM is producing good cars.......buy their cars. If Sony is producing good TV's, then buy their TV's. If the Bengals are producing a winning team..........then buy tickets to their games..........if UC is producing a good football team.........then buy tickets to their games.............if no team in Cincinnati is doing well........then save your money.

There is no shame in saving your money if the product on the field sucks.

Amen brother. The point is to enjoy it, not torture yourself. Which is why I'm optimistic about the Reds' future, but I just can't get excited about a team that has Dusty at the helm and Taveras leading off every day. I just hope they survive the next couple years without screwing up their exciting core of good young players.

BlastFurnace
04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I am what you might call a perennial fair weather Reds fan.

Every year I look forward to Opening Day.

Opening Day finally comes and its like Christmas Day as a kid waiting to open up presents.

The first couple of weeks, I don't miss an inning.

Then, gradually, as the season goes on and I see they won't contend again, my Reds time gets less and less.

By the All-Star break, I have usually stopped watching altogether and don't even check the box score.

My Bengals seasons are eerily similar by the way... :rolleyes:

Being a Cincinnati sports fan just gets old, that's all I'm saying. How long has it been for the Reds? I don't know how you people do it year after year.

Yeah I'll be listening to the game today. But even if the Reds win, you just know that come October the Mets will be in the playoffs and the Reds will be in 4th or 5th place, hovering somewhere below .500. Sheffield is a good analogy. The Mets didn't really even need him. The Reds did though. But as usual...

The losing just gets old, that's all. /end rant

I understand where you are coming from. The Reds have been terrible for so long that it's hard to be optimistic about their chances. I don't think you are a "fair weather fan"...you're just a "disappointed fan".

CRedsLarkin11
04-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I understand where you are coming from. The Reds have been terrible for so long that it's hard to be optimistic about their chances. I don't think you are a "fair weather fan"...you're just a "disappointed fan".

Good point I think I fit into that as well. I love baseball and I love watching the Reds so I'll continue to do so but it is sad to know every year it's just not going to happen

jmac
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I get really disgusted after a loss but after an hour or so, I am thinking "we'll get'em tomorrow"