PDA

View Full Version : Lineup contstruction, and why do we have to keep people just because of a contract?

Kingspoint
04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
NL notes on the REDS from Rotoworld:

Cincinnati - Edwin Encarnacion has a .524 OBP and no runs scored so far. He's currently batting sixth even though he's a better OBP guy than leadoff man Willy Taveras, cleanup man Brandon Phillips and No. 5 hitter Jay Bruce. However, Phillips also seems to be making a real effort to wait for his pitch, so I'm not going to complain about his presence in the four hole. … In an offseason that saw better relievers struggle to find jobs, Mike Lincoln received a two-year, $4 million deal from the Reds. Now he's opened his age-34 season with a 34.71 ERA and a 0/6 K/BB ratio in 2 1/3 innings. The contract guarantees that he won't be released anytime soon, but it's quite possible that the Reds are hurting themselves by carrying him and Daniel Ray Herrera while Josh Roenicke, Ramon Ramirez and Bill Bray pitch in Triple-A.

schmidty622
04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
First off, Danny Rae Earned his spot in spring. He did just about everything he needed to do down their and beat out a oft-injured Bill Bray. I think he just needs to calm down and hit his spots and he'll be ok. Really wouldn't mind one way or the other if he did that with the big club or was sent back down.

Lincoln never should have been signed. We could have replaced his arm with someone from the minors with ease.

EE should bat higher. I'd like to see him bat 2nd. Give someone to get on base for Votto.

Jerome
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
First off, Danny Rae Earned his spot in spring. He did just about everything he needed to do down their and beat out a oft-injured Bill Bray. I think he just needs to calm down and hit his spots and he'll be ok. Really wouldn't mind one way or the other if he did that with the big club or was sent back down.

Lincoln never should have been signed. We could have replaced his arm with someone from the minors with ease.

EE should bat higher. I'd like to see him bat 2nd. Give someone to get on base for Votto.

Just because you earn a spot in the spring doesn't mean you're entitled to a spot all year with the big club. Herrera will be gone before the break. I think he is effective now because no one realizes how slow he throws.

I'd like EE at 2, but I like Dickerson at 2 when he plays. The next logical move is the 4-spot, moving Phillips to 6. I think things are best for the moment with...

Taveras
Dickerson
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Encarnacion
Automatic out
Automatic out
Automatic out

Maybe if Dickerson isn't playing, move EE to 2.

http://jeromsredscare.blogspot.com

Nasty_Boy
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I'd be fine with EE hitting 2nd against LHP, and I'd like him to hit 4th against RHP. Hopefully BP's patience is for real, in which case I think he'd be an bigger asset hitting 2nd. Dusty could really make a decent lineup if he payed attention to the platoon splits.

Kingspoint
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
It's easy to get walks when the batters behind you are easier outs.

schmidty622
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Just because you earn a spot in the spring doesn't mean you're entitled to a spot all year with the big club. Herrera will be gone before the break. I think he is effective now because no one realizes how slow he throws.

I'd like EE at 2, but I like Dickerson at 2 when he plays. The next logical move is the 4-spot, moving Phillips to 6. I think things are best for the moment with...

Taveras
Dickerson
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Encarnacion
Automatic out
Automatic out
Automatic out

Maybe if Dickerson isn't playing, move EE to 2.

http://jeromsredscare.blogspot.com

I didn't say he's entitled to a spot. I was saying that the reason he's on the roster is because he was good in ST. As soon as Bray gets right Herrera will be gone.

Newman4
04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I like EE 4th and BP 2nd with Dickerson leadoff. Of course, this is also contigent on Josh Willingham batting 6th....oh well.

Bumstead
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
If Lincoln continues to pitch this poorly, I'm sure they will cut their losses around mid-season. When Bray gets healthy, Herrera will be gone, as he should be. He earned his spot on the team for the time being, but he's unlikely to keep it. I don't see Dusty adjusting this lineup too much even if he should do so.

Bum

Nasty_Boy
04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
For some crazy reason Bruce is hitting 5th against the lefty tonight. Let's just waste Edwin and his quality ABs. Hanigan is playing tonight, but Edwin has been outstanding so far with guys like Hernandez and Gonzo and their 2 hits behind him. And it looks like Dickerson is going to be a strict platoon guy.

flash
04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
This is what I would like to see

Hannigan C, Knows how to work a count and can get on base.
Dickerson LF, Can hit and run with Hanigan, get on if Hanigan doesn't, and has speed.
Phillips, 2B good speed and bat, should make the DP obsolete in the top three spots
Votto, 1B best bat in the line-up
EE 3B Folllow the LRL scenario
Bruce RF
Gonzalez, SS You got to put him somewhere
Taveras CF Speed in front of the pitcher. This takes away an useless out and combine it with a SB and you have a runner on third for Hanigan.

Pitcher- BUNT< BUNT< BUNT