PDA

View Full Version : Decaff: Reds tried to take my best pitch

BurgervilleBuck
04-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Anyone read this (http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/phillips-reds-will-be-heard-from-80618.html) from Todd Coffey?

"I'm glad to be away from the Reds because they tried to take away my sinker, my best pitch," said Coffey, released by the Reds last year on his birthday.

Thoughts, anyone? I seem to recall the reason they released him was because his best pitch was usually sinking in the gap or outside the park.

reds1869
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM
As the Reds announcers said tonight, the pitch was usually sinking into the Ohio River. Coffey was completely ineffective last season and there was no reason to bring him back.

CarolinaRedleg
04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Glad to see Coffey runs his mouth as well as he runs from the dugout :rolleyes:

GIDP
04-14-2009, 11:38 PM
When all else fails blame someone else

namichael
04-14-2009, 11:38 PM
I've been listening to the games on the radio. Does Coffey still do that ridiculous sprint to the mound? It's no wonder he couldn't throw strikes. It takes him two batters just to catch his breath.

Nasty_Boy
04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Something's worked in Milwaukee

JBChance
04-14-2009, 11:46 PM
We were definitely getting Decaf at the end of his stay here.

With those comments, its no wonder he's gone - he obviously thinks he knows more than the coaches. His sinker should have been called the Stinker, imo. His "sinker" often times didn't sink until it went over the wall.

See ya at the end of the season, Todd. We'll see where you are then.

Moosie52
04-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Todd who?

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 07:31 AM
The Reds are glad to be rid of you because you have a case of dumptruck butt. You're not a pitcher, you are a donut.

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 08:13 AM
The Reds are glad to be rid of you because you have a case of dumptruck butt. You're not a pitcher, you are a donut.

Ich bin ein Berliner!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

OesterPoster
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
If Seth McClung would grow some facial hair, he and Coffey could be twins. Probably about 500 pounds worth.

Nasty_Boy
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
550-600 lbs

BigJohn
04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I still laugh when I think about the day he called into Allen Cutlers show *****ing about them taking beer out of the clubhouse! LOL!!!!!!!! He has found a home in Miller Park!

Jerome
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Todd Coffee might be the only player in the bigs with manbreasts.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Nasty_Boy
04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
They're still smaller than Phil Mickelson's "Moobs"

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 12:27 PM

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Thats why he spells his name with two D's. Todd "double D" Coffey

TylerScottDavis
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM

No offense guys, but I think these comments might be just a little "over-the-top." Sheesh. Please remove these; you're embarrassing yourselves. :(

BigJohn
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Lighten up, Francis!

PTI (pti)
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Coffey's always had great stuff, but nothing between the ears.

He seemed to me like the ultimate 'change of scenery' guy. Tons of potential, just needed a different environment to be successful, for whatever reason.

(that being said, i'm glad we got rid of his big, hungry butt)

TC81190
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
No offense guys, but I think these comments might be just a little "over-the-top." Sheesh. Please remove these; you're embarrassing yourselves. :(
Yeah, pretty classy, especially considering Todd's brother reads Redszone.

texasdave
04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Just because the Reds kept trying to take away his best pitch does not mean that he should try to keep hiding it over the left field wall. =)

All kidding aside, I was a supporter of TC while he was a Red but it just did not work out for him here. That happens a lot in sports. And I had no problem at all with his running in from the bullpen to the mound.

As long as it doesn't cost the Reds any victories he can continue posting those zeroes up on the scoreboard. Especially against the Cubs, the Cards and the rest of the NL Central.

Nasty_Boy
04-15-2009, 05:15 PM

His brother should know that not everything will be positive... but I agree to a certain point. The main reason I always got mad about the hatred towards Dunn was because a lot of the comments were personal things made by people that didn't know the guy. I think criticizing someone's play is more than okay, but don't start name-calling and attacking players on a personal level.

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Well he should go read Brewzone instead.

Jerome
04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Okay, okay. I revoke my previous comment about Todd's weight. Got a little carried away when everybody started slamming his poor pitching with the Reds. I've certainly read far worse on this board that attacked players personally and they were never called out, but I don't want to be compared to them for certain. All in all, again, sorry about the post. I realize the low blow now.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:07 PM

I don't think it's over the top. Would it make you feel better if I lied and said he was thin? We're adults, I didn't say anything offensive.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Okay, it's hardly classless. If Todd wants to talk down about the Reds; then he opens himself up for me to say he's out of shape.

To my memory he was given nothing but one chance after another here and continued to falter. It's not like he was treated unfairly by the Reds. IMO that is a little classless.

And I think if I was slightly overweight my brother would have no problem admitting it. It's no big deal. I'm sure Coffey Bro reads the ORG anyways and not the Sun Deck.

TylerScottDavis
04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I guess that's why we have the sun deck...for threads like this one. I'll learn to stay away.

bounty37h
04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I think the thing that makes me wonder, more then the coment itself, is why so many players recently have made digs at the Reds when they leave, havent heard as many for other teams, but have heard Freel, Dunn, Coffee, Kepp in the last year .....

Jerome
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I guess that's why we have the sun deck...for threads like this one. I'll learn to stay away.

texasdave
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I think the thing that makes me wonder, more then the coment itself, is why so many players recently have made digs at the Reds when they leave, havent heard as many for other teams, but have heard Freel, Dunn, Coffee, Kepp in the last year .....

Cincinnati is the center of the baseball universe. It is only natural that players take cheap shots upon being banished to the Outer 29.

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Cincinnati is the center of the baseball universe. It is only natural that players take cheap shots upon being banished to the Outer 29.

It's one thing if Adam Dunn takes a shot at the Reds. But who is Todd Coffey, ya know? Does anyone get what I'm saying here?

That would be like CJ Nitkowski taking a shot at the Reds.