PDA

View Full Version : Let's play 18!

Kingspoint
04-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I love breaking down the season into 9-game stints.

Since all of the pythagoreans have the REDS finishing under .500 then par is going to be 4W-5.

So, with that said.

The REDS birdied the first hole (5W-4L).

After 1 hole....

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
For the first time in years, the REDS have birdied the first two holes (10W-8L), another 5W-4L week....

After 2 holes.....

On the third hole, the tee shot is sent into the woods. They need to hit it back onto the fairway tonight and not hit another tree.

dunner13
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
as a golf fan i really enjoy this way of breaking down and looking at the teams progress, good job kingspoint

WildcatFan
04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
The best part about this thread is that it doesn't let you panic after back-to-back losses. You get a good perspective at how long the season really is.

GET IN THE HOLE!!!

lidspinner
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I too am a big fan of this....look forward to it every year. Is this the same poster that did it last year?

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think I've started it before.

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I too am a big fan of this....look forward to it every year. Is this the same poster that did it last year?

It really takes the panic aspect out of it, doesn't it?

lidspinner
04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
It really takes the panic aspect out of it, doesn't it?

yes it does.....someone did it last year....I thought it was on this site. Maybe it was the scout Reds board. anyhow, I love it, I have been waiting for it. You do tend to not panic even on a small 3 game losing streak....and when you start seeing those "birdies" you kind of breathe easier after a losing streak.

I hate golf but I love this concept.

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
After a rough start on this hole and having hit it into the woods, the REDS have made a couple of nice recovery shots and are now on the green putting for Birdie.

If Arroyo doesn't have a flareup of his Carpal Tunnel, then I think they've got a great chance of sinking this putt tonight, and getting us a 3rd straight Birdie to open the season.

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I know it's only the 2nd inning, but unless the wind blows the ball in from 4 feet away, the putt was missed by Bronson. I think he had his eyes closed.

Anyway, that's still a par (4W, 5L).

So, after three holes we are -2.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par

On pace for -12 Under or 87 Wins.

Kingspoint
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Heck of a start on this 4th Hole.

The REDS are (4W, 1L) and have guaranteed themselves of at least a par. With 4 shots left on this hole, they've got a good chance for an Eagle. I don't even want to think about a Double-Eagle. An EAGLE would be great. Would love to go 2-2 over the next 4 games with Haren pitching tonight.

WildcatFan
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
At what point does this become a hole in one?

Get in the hole!

Kingspoint
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Get in the hole!

You're that guy.

Kingspoint
05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
At what point does this become a hole in one?

Get in the hole!

-4 under on a hole is an albatross, I do believe. When the next three and we get an albatross.

Kingspoint
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
We 3-putted the hole and still got an Eagle after a great start.

So, after four holes we are -4 (20W, 16L; instead of 16W, 20L).

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle

Just keep avoiding those bogey's, and with our pitching staff depth we are capable of doing it, and we'll end up with a really fun season. And, stay away from Torey Pines!

Kingspoint
06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Feel free, anyone to keep this up and going. I'm not always around to do the "caddying".

Looks like another place to avoid is "The Greater Milwaukee Open".

But, before we went and played at Brown Deer Park at what is now "The U. S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee", we had ourselves another BIRDIE thanks to a nice sweep of the Astros on our home course. Nothing like home cooking! That BIRDIE put our record at -5 UNDER (25W and 20L) for the season.

But, then on to Milwaukee we went, a place where Tiger Woods made his professional debut finishing tied for 60th in 1996. So far on this hole we've struggled a little, but after taking 2 of 3 on this 4-game trip to St. Louis, where there isn't currently a regular stop on the PGA tour, but there has been two USGA tournaments at Quail Creek.

We can still birdie this hole if we go UP-AND-DOWN with our next two shots as we sit 3Wins and 4 Losses so far with 2 shots left on this hole. (Remember, par is 4W, 5L)

So, again, here we are so far, playing bogey-free golf, while averaging a birdie-per-hole.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie

-5 UNDER

Kingspoint
06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, we didn't get up-and-down on the 6th hole as we lost the final two games of that 9-game stretch giving us our 1st Bogey of the season (3W, 6L). On the 7th Hole, we started off well winning 3 of the 1st 4 games, but we knew we were in trouble when we couldn't even score runs against that abysmal Nationals pitching staff. We're so poor at scoring runs right now that we can't give any of our starters any wins any more. We sank a long putt for Par (4W,5L)on the 7th Hole when we opened the current series against Atlanta with a win. Votto's starting a rehab stint, EE's taking live batting practice again, and Volquez is throwing from 120 feet now, so if we can just get through this 8th hole (the next 9 games) with a Par (4W, 5L) or a birdie (5W, 4L), then we can go into the last hole on the front nine with everybody healthy for the first time in a long time and still be in position to have a great round by playing some very good golf on the back nine.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par

corwinator3407
06-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Cool post and new perspective for it. I like it.

Kingspoint
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
3W, 6L on the 8th hole for a Bogey.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey

OK, now that we've got Joey back, and EE's close to returning, we can now set our sights on reaching the playoffs. We've survived a rough patch of the course with two bogies and a par over the last three holes. But, from now on I think this club has a great chance of getting birdies and eagles the rest of the way. We've won the 1st two games to start the ninth hole, Homer Bailey is probably here to stay and this time it's probably going to be different, 7 walks notwithstanding. Owings has been the Ace of the staff over his last 5 starts, giving up 2 runs or less in 4 of those 5 starts. Arroyo's still pitching like doo-doo, but somehow he'll figure out a way to win some games. Harang has good stuff, but he needs to stop taking so many risks at the plate. Cueto has had great stuff all season, so I'm not worried at all about him. Dickerson's been hitting great the last two months, and hopefully, Hanigan will see some more playing time, and that Dusty starts giving Hernandez some time off. Our bullpen has been lights out all season, so if our defense can improve (less playing time for Hairston and Hernandez and more playing time for EE, Hanigan, and Dickerson), there's really no reason why we can't be getting birdies (5W, 4L), and eagles (6W, 3L) the rest of the way.

Let's go REDS.

BigPoppa
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
This is great....never seen this perspective of a season before.

Thanks Kingspoint, and keep it going !:thumbup:

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 09:05 PM
We're 2-1 on this hole so far, BigPoppa, despite Baker's best efforts to sabotage things.

Up 1-0 in the 7th of tonight's game with Arthur Rhodes giving up a single on the 1st pitch he throws.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
But, from now on I think this club has a great chance of getting birdies and eagles the rest of the way.

Dusty is doing his best to sabotage any possible hope of ever playing well by sitting the guys who hit and playing the guys who don't.

Kingspoint
07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
5W-2L so far on this hole. Birdie at the minimum so far on this hole, the last hole of the front-nine. A great chance to get some great momentum going into the back-nine.

Two games left to go for the team's 2nd Eagle of the year or it's first Double-Eagle.

lidspinner
07-04-2009, 07:28 PM
greatest thread of RZ history.....I would say we are golfing a dam good round considering our caddy is not a real caddy....he is always giving us the wrong club and he cant judge distance to save his life. Worst caddy I can remember in a long time.

Kingspoint
07-05-2009, 05:13 PM
greatest thread of RZ history.....I would say we are golfing a dam good round considering our caddy is not a real caddy....he is always giving us the wrong club and he cant judge distance to save his life. Worst caddy I can remember in a long time.

Thank you. Thank you. That made me laugh very hard.

Even with Arroyo's two starts :( and the Weathers/Baker fiasco, we can get our 2nd Eagle of the year with a win in our next game and go 6W/3L on Hole #9.

lidspinner
07-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I have the whole place at work looking at the season like this....they all log onto RZ to see if you have updated it yet....it makes everyone step back and take a breathe when we are playing like crap.

sivman17
07-06-2009, 05:25 PM
-4 under on a hole is an albatross, I do believe. When the next three and we get an albatross.

-3 is albatross, aka double eagle

Kingspoint
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
-3 is albatross, aka double eagle

The last two games ensured that we'll have to wait until the back nine to get an albatross, aka double eagle.

So, what is -4 under on a hole called?

Gizmo
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
So, what is -4 under on a hole called?

impossible.

Kingspoint
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Outscored 32-2 the last two shots. That's probably akin to missing back-to-back putts from 6 inches or less....as poor an effort as one can possibly make. Yet, we still managed to BIRDIE the #9 hole. (5W, 4L).

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie

With the back nine finished, they seem pretty tired, based upon those last two games. Time to go into the clubhouse, refresh themselves, use the restroom, maybe grab a quick bite to eat with a drink and be ready to have a fantastic back nine.

-4 Under on the Front Nine. (40W, 41L) (Par is 36W, 45L)

It's probably going to take -12 under on the Back Nine to reach the playoffs. That would be (48W, 33L) for a total score of -16 Under (88W, 74L).

I think we can do it. 6 Birdies (5W, 4L) and 3 Eagles (6W, 3L). No Pars (4W, 5L), Bogies (3W, 6L) or Double-Bogies (2W, 7L). Our pitching has been very, very good, and has room for more improvement. Our Defense has been OK and has room for improvement. Our Offense has been poor, and has lot's of room for improvement. We're getting healthier with Votto and EE back (EE will hit; he's not one of our worries). Still waiting on Volquez, but it shouldn't be too long, and it looks like Arroyo could use a 15-day DL stint to get his CTS in check. Owings is pitching great. Cueto followed his near-no-hit outing with something not recognizable as pitching. Don't know what Hernandez has been doing behind the plate since Votto returned, but he's going to have to do something different. It ain't working. He needs a week off, and two or three days off every week the rest of the season.

Kingspoint
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, that was about as ugly as a Tom Watson 9-foot putt on the 18th to win the British Open.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey

(3W-6L) for a Bogey on #10 to start off the Back Nine was about as ugly as it could get. The team had a nice break in the clubhouse at the turn and came out flat. The thing is, they found out what the problem has been over the last 4 holes....knee troubles. You can't swing with a bad knee (or play Catcher, either). With that trouble taken care of the team can get back to good golf, as evidenced by the last 3 games of the Brewers series with Hanigan behind the plate.

Though this team traditionally hates West Coast trips the way someone with a hook hates tall trees and narrow fairways, the additions of Drew Sutton, the return of a refreshed Jared Burton, the resurgence of Edwin Encarnacion offensively, the improvement of Bronson Arroyo with Hanigan catching him, the full-time duties of Ryan Hanigan, and the possible addition of help on the way through a trade, should all help this team to play the next couple of of holes under par.

1-0 to begin this nine-game stretch heading to Los Angeles tonight where Owings looks to bounce back to his 2-runs-and-under form he had displayed for a month before his last outing. Going against the REDS is a pitcher who hasn't pitched since 2007 in the bigs. Advantage REDS.

Would love to get off to a 2-0 start on this hole as they get to finish the hole with 2 games against the Padres in Cincinnati. A birdie or Eagle is very possible here.

Kingspoint
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, it got uglier. You ever said to yourself, "Wow, that was a bad hole. I'm going to do better and concentrate on this hole", and you do even worse? Well, we went from struggling around the green on the 10th hole to hitting it into the water......twice,....on the 11th hole. We need to start playing from the Women's tees. But, I don't think that would help. Wish we could fire the caddy.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
11th Hole....Double Bogey

A Double-Bogey on the 11th Hole! That's as bad as Tiger farting on the 18th at the Buick this Sunday. Yes. I saw him lift his leg before he did it, and then he tried to blame his caddy. Nice Tiger. You really need to try to mature a little bit. Temper tantrums, cussing, and now farting. Nice.

Anyway. We've started off 0-7 on this hole after tonight's loss and are heading for a quadruple-bogey on the 12th. We've been in the woods, we've found the water, and we're now in a bunker needing to drop it in from here just to get some respectability.

What do you do when you're playing that bad? You look for the cute-girl in the drink-cart and down a few. At least have a good time while you stink.

Kingspoint
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Started off 2-2 on this hole.

Definitely going through the motions.

Can't wait to get off this course.

Where's the drink cart?

Kingspoint
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I think I got drunk between the 11th and 12th holes, but here's what's happened since:

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
12th Hole....Double Bogey
13th Hole....Bogey
14th Hole....Birdie
15th Hole....Double Eagle

Knocked that one in from 200 yards. If you've ever done that, you know that you got lucky. I'll take all the luck I could get. But, in reality, we found some better clubs and we got rid of that stupid putter (Taveras).

lidspinner
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I actually gave up golfing....just like when i was a kid with my dad, I'm just driving the cart around the course looking for lost balls in the woods......Nothing to see here at this course, maybe we will golf a better course next year. Im in though. I say we switch these dam clubs (Dusty) and get better balls (players) as well before we go teeing off in April.

Kingspoint
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Looking more like that Double Eagle was purely luck as we're 1-3 so far on this hole w/ 5 games to go. (4-5 is Par) We'll have to win 3 of 5 to Par #16. We haven't had a Par since the 7th Hole, a very good sign of a very bad golfer. Dusty's the Caddy. Jocketty bought the clubs. Castellini hired the caddy.

Fire the Caddy!!!

With Dusty it's always like Caddyshack.

Slyder
09-11-2009, 12:19 AM
How is a team 14 under for the season 1 on the good side? That golf card doesnt look right maybe its just late and Im not thinking clearly.

Kingspoint
09-12-2009, 02:56 PM
How is a team 14 under for the season 1 on the good side? That golf card doesnt look right maybe its just late and Im not thinking clearly.

Because their pre-season pythagoreans had them at a slightly under .500 club, so that made par 4W-5L (18 holes times 9 equals 162 games). The 1st post of the thread explains everything.

They're 2-under through 15 holes, but it's looking like they'll drop another shot or two on #16.

Kingspoint
09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
13th Hole....Bogey
14th Hole....Birdie
16th Hole....Bogey

We're guaranteed of at least a Par on the 17th Hole w/ 3 shots left. Win 2 of 3 and we get another Double Eagle.

Kingspoint
09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
13th Hole....Bogey
14th Hole....Birdie
16th Hole....Bogey

We're guaranteed of at least a Par on the 17th Hole w/ 3 shots left. Win 2 of 3 and we get another Eagle.

I meant to edit, I hit quote and now I can't delete the mistake. I hate this "hour" time limit on editing. It's stupid.

Kingspoint
09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
13th Hole....Bogey
14th Hole....Birdie
16th Hole....Bogey
17th Hole....Double Eagle

The feast or famine continues, but w/ two Double Eagles over the last 3 holes, one thing is for certain. It's been nice not having the Willy T club in the bag for the caddy to hand to us. Unfortunately, Walt put the Willy T club back in the bag. Fortunately, Baker the Caddie, hasn't handed it to the the REDS, yet. "Keep it in the bag, Baker."

We're 2-under going into the 18th (4-under the last 4 holes. Amazing to think what a whole year of no Dusty Baker reject (Patterson/Taveras) would have meant to the team. May as well finish strong going into the off-season. The sad part about this is that it ensures Baker won't be fired over the winter, even though he should be.

We're going to hit our pre-season pythagorean.

Kingspoint
10-03-2009, 04:31 AM
A little bump in the road the last two days, but we're still looking for a birdie or eagle on 18 depending on what we do these last two games.

Kingspoint
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par
8th Hole....Bogey
9th Hole....Birdie
10th Hole....Bogey
13th Hole....Bogey
14th Hole....Birdie
16th Hole....Bogey
17th Hole....Double Eagle
18th Hole....Eagle

The Round is finished. I we had only not had that crooked putter (Willy T).

Finished at -6 under. We did better than expected.

Next season the expectations will be higher IF, and it's a big IF, Dusty isn't handed some leadoff hitter that OBP's at .300 again. No team can win under those conditions like no golfer can drive a ball with a poolstick.