PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think Jay Bruce plays on monday night (tommorrow)?

Ghosts of 1990
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Jay Bruce's (bruised right hand) was doing OK this morning. His handshake was pretty firm so he wasn't favoring it. But he won't hit today -- just running and throwing. He was available to pinch-run and play defense.

"It's so much better than it was," Bruce said. "It didn't even bother me until the check swing and that was two days ago. When I went for the X-rays and the other stuff yesterday, it was so hard for me to believe it could have been broken. I had played without pain and that one check swing made me feel it."

Jay Bruce (sore right hand) is hoping to play tomorrow. Dusty Baker thinks it will probably be Tuesday in Chicago.

"It's much better," Bruce said. "I'll be fine in no time. I'll definitely be ready for Chicago, barring something unforeseen. I'm hoping for tomorrow. But it's Dusty's call. It's early in the season. I don't want to rush it."

What do you guys think? Dusty needs to let him play tomorrow. Let him get out there and get in a groove for goodness sakes.

Captain Hook
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Reds will be facing a lefty in Hampton.My guess would be that he'll sit one more night.

davereds24
04-19-2009, 09:11 PM
no reason to rush, definitely no reason to play him against a lefty.

ChatterRed
04-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd send him to triple A and let Bailey pitch to him. After he cranks a few out, his confidence will be back quickly.

Ghosts of 1990
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
I'd send him to triple A and let Bailey pitch to him. After he cranks a few out, his confidence will be back quickly.

lol :thumbup:

TheBigLebowski
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
No Jay tomorrow against a lefty, which I think is the right call. Darnell McDonald should start - he has more base hits this season than Jay anyway.

CincinnatiRep
04-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, what was already stated. Tomorrow would be a good opportunity to give one of the bench guys a start.

Ghosts of 1990
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Yep, what was already stated. Tomorrow would be a good opportunity to give one of the bench guys a start.

What was already stated?

Fon Duc Tow
04-20-2009, 01:43 AM

:rockband:

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Bruce out again. unreal.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/04/hanigan_janish_in.html

It looks like Ramon Hernandez and Alex Gonzalez are getting a break today, which is seems like a very good idea. Ryan Hanigan and Paul Janish are in the lineup tonight, as is Darnell McDonald in right field.

Reds lineup:

Taveras, cf
Hairston, lf
Votto, 1b
Phillips, 2b
Encarnacion, 3b
Mcdonald, rf
Hanigan, c
Janish, ss
Arroyo, rhp

xavr1
04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I am liking that lineup more and more, even though Janish can't hit either. Hernandez is picking it up but Hanigan has earned a start or two each week. McDonald has had some hits, but I still dont understand why we dont have Gomes up here.

schmidty622
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Bruce out again. unreal.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/04/hanigan_janish_in.html

It looks like Ramon Hernandez and Alex Gonzalez are getting a break today, which is seems like a very good idea. Ryan Hanigan and Paul Janish are in the lineup tonight, as is Darnell McDonald in right field.

Reds lineup:

Taveras, cf
Hairston, lf
Votto, 1b
Phillips, 2b
Encarnacion, 3b
Mcdonald, rf
Hanigan, c
Janish, ss
Arroyo, rhp

He's hurt. Take it easy. Would you rather him be out for 3-4 games or be put on the 15 day DL?

PhillipsHead
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Do not rush Bruce back. Call up Gomes if need be. The season is young, there's no need to wreck our future.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I am liking that lineup more and more, even though Janish can't hit either. Hernandez is picking it up but Hanigan has earned a start or two each week. McDonald has had some hits, but I still dont understand why we dont have Gomes up here.

Really? Why?

That lineup might be one of the most threatless in all of baseball. Rivals the lineup we sent out the night Randy Johnson K'd 20 Reds.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm starting to think that Jay Bruce may end up on the DL. I can see it still hurting today or tomorrow and them putting him on the DL. Seems like they've backtracked a bit from "He'll definitely be back in Chicago" talk.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/1568975405

Bruce (hand) hopes to play tomorrow. "That's the plan. I can't say definitely. But that's the goal." He's going to hit off a T today

BLEEDS
04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Apparently, Hanigan is Arroyo's "Designated Catcher". I can live with that. Dude needs to get his AB"s, and he's decent in the field. Hernandez needs his rest too, but for the Jack we're paying him, he'd better get 75-80% of the starts...

Janish can't do any worse than AGON - at the plate. Let's hope his slick glove-work continues.

McDonald in RF - now that's just a travesty that we have to give starts to this guy.
Seriously.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Captain Hook
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Apparently, Hanigan is Arroyo's "Designated Catcher". I can live with that. Dude needs to get his AB"s, and he's decent in the field. Hernandez needs his rest too, but for the Jack we're paying him, he'd better get 75-80% of the starts...

Janish can't do any worse than AGON - at the plate. Let's hope his slick glove-work continues.

McDonald in RF - now that's just a travesty that we have to give starts to this guy.
Seriously.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Regarding what you said about Ramon.The same can be said about AGON.I think we can all agree not to though.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
You've got to be kidding me now

•Jay Bruce is hopeful that he can return to the lineup on Tuesday at Chicago. He was planning on hitting off of a tee today and is scheduled to do some hand strength tests with strength and conditioning coordinator Matt Krause.

"That's my goal but I can't say definitely," Bruce said about Tuesday. "It's continuing to get better. I'm doing the icing stuff to get it right and get back out there."

Cold, rainy weather in the Chicago forecast and the Cubs pitching staff aren't optimal conditions for a return from this type of injury.

"Aches and pains and Harden, Lilly and Zambrano," manager Dusty Baker said. "I hope so but if not, we'll go with our other dudes. We don't want this to be a chronic thing."

---------------------------------------------------------------

What? A chronic thing? Dusty..... please. What kills me is Dusty played back in an era where guys didn't come out of the lineup. This is getting ridiculous.

Bruce sounds full of it as well. First he was "Definitely" ready by Chicago series. Now he is "Hopeful but can't say for sure". This is just ludicrous. You don't want to play one of your most talented hitters because Chicago is throwing three good pitchers? Why even say something like that?

Dusty needs let go, honestly. Wouldn't surprise me if he was wanting Bruce to sit a little longer so he can get some extra at bats for his boys, his veterans that he seems to favor. I'm so shocked that Daryle Ward and Jacque Jones didn't make this team!

Eric_the_Red
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Dusty needs let go, honestly. Wouldn't surprise me if he was wanting Bruce to sit a little longer so he can get some extra at bats for his boys, his veterans that he seems to favor. I'm so shocked that Daryle Ward and Jacque Jones didn't make this team!

Yes, how dare Dusty bench The Jay Bruce?! Doesn't he know that if The Jay Bruce doesn't get at bats then The Jay Bruce will never come out of his slump? (well, at bats and actually making contact and showing some semblance of an eye at the plate. But that is probably Dusty's fault too.)

And benching The Jay Bruce will surely lead to more at bats for veterans like Janish, Dickerson and McDonald.

(I hope everyone can sense the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick here.)

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, how dare Dusty bench The Jay Bruce?! Doesn't he know that if The Jay Bruce doesn't get at bats then The Jay Bruce will never come out of his slump? (well, at bats and actually making contact and showing some semblance of an eye at the plate. But that is probably Dusty's fault too.)

And benching The Jay Bruce will surely lead to more at bats for veterans like Janish, Dickerson and McDonald.

(I hope everyone can sense the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick here.)

Decent attempt at sarcasm. Poor take though.

Eric_the_Red
04-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Decent attempt at sarcasm. Poor take though.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't make jokes at the expense of The Jay Bruce. He is truly beyond reproach.

schmidty622
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I feel like the way JayBruce32 feels when he sees the real Jay Bruce out of the lineup is the same way that people feel when their family dog dies.

It's gonna be ok man. Everything will be alright. Bruce will come back and get better. Root for the team no matter whose in the lineup.

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I feel like the way JayBruce32 feels when he sees the real Jay Bruce out of the lineup is the same way that people feel when their family dog dies.

It's gonna be ok man. Everything will be alright. Bruce will come back and get better. Root for the team no matter whose in the lineup.

What is it with you Schmidtys?

fisch11
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/bruce-declares-himself-ready-to-go-88708.html

According to Hal, Bruce has declared himself good to go for the Chicago series. Jay needs to get himself straightened out quick before he starts pressing to get his groove back. His discipline hasn't been good as he as been chasing too many pitcher's pitches and getting behind early in the count. He needs to start laying off the waste pitches and commanding the strike zone early. Let's hope that he gets it going in Wrigley!

schmidty622
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/bruce-declares-himself-ready-to-go-88708.html

According to Hal, Bruce has declared himself good to go for the Chicago series. Jay needs to get himself straightened out quick before he starts pressing to get his groove back. His discipline hasn't been good as he as been chasing too many pitcher's pitches and getting behind early in the count. He needs to start laying off the waste pitches and commanding the strike zone early. Let's hope that he gets it going in Wrigley!

I'd def start him tonight against Harden. I think I might sit him against Lilly though. I'd feel more comfortable with that if we had a righty with some pop like Gomes on the roster to be able to plug in.

bgwilly31
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
"That's my goal but I can't say definitely," Bruce said about Tuesday. "It's continuing to get better. I'm doing the icing stuff to get it right and get back out there."

Cold, rainy weather in the Chicago forecast and the Cubs pitching staff aren't optimal conditions for a return from this type of injury.

"Aches and pains and Harden, Lilly and Zambrano," manager Dusty Baker said. "I hope so but if not, we'll go with our other dudes. We don't want this to be a chronic thing."

!

This sounds to me like ol' dusty, is using bruces (injury) as an excuse to give Ol'mcdonald his project "dude" More playing time.

However isnt ol'mcdonald batting like .380>?

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Yeah I saw the stuff from Mccoy, but check this out (from Rotoworld):

Bruce (hand/wrist) tested his strength in batting practice before Monday's game, but his status for Tuesday's game in Chicago is uncertain, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Spin: One mitigating factor working against Bruce is that it's supposed to be a high of 44 in Chicago on Tuesday, with a possible mix of rain and snow. "We'll test his hand strength," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "We'll see . . . We don't want this to be a chronic thing. It's difficult to deal with. I had three hand operations. It's usually something that doesn't heal very quickly. At least they got the swelling out."

I guess we need to wait and see until he's in the lineup tonight..... could be another night off. Man players nowadays are fragile

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I think Bruce will be back tonight.If he took BP yesterday he should be able to play today.I hope these few days off can end up being a positive.Having an excuse that's not performance related to sit back and watch things could be good.Hopefully Jay is ready to get back out there and prove these first few weeks was nothing more then a slump.

davereds24
04-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Willy Taveras cf
Chris Dickerson lf
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Ramon Hernandez c
Alex Gonzalez ss
Micah Owings p

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Willy Taveras cf
Chris Dickerson lf
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Ramon Hernandez c
Alex Gonzalez ss
Micah Owings p

yep.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/1578312282

NeilHamburger
04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Yep of course he is. Weather reports from Wrigley are that winds are blowing OUT to right field at 20 mph. Let's put it this way, anything in the air hit about 300 ft. on a normal day will be gone

schmidty622
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
yep.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/1578312282

:birthday::luvu::jump::rockband::KoolAid::party::: :usa:

Haha, congrats man, He's back!

bgwilly31
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
haha^

fugowitribe
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone else think that batting Owings in the 9th spot is kind of ignorant? IMO if he is going to hit like he has been, why not let him bat 8th and give AGon a chance to roll the order over. Gonzo is faster and is better on the bases anyway, so why not create a good thing both ways by letting Owings clear the bases after Bruce or EE gets on, because you can almost count on Hernandez getting out. It would also give us a better chance of getting speed on the bases for Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Just a thought, but I think it would be productional.

schmidty622
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
WOOO!

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Anyone else think that batting Owings in the 9th spot is kind of ignorant? IMO if he is going to hit like he has been, why not let him bat 8th and give AGon a chance to roll the order over. Gonzo is faster and is better on the bases anyway, so why not create a good thing both ways by letting Owings clear the bases after Bruce or EE gets on, because you can almost count on Hernandez getting out. It would also give us a better chance of getting speed on the bases for Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Just a thought, but I think it would be productional.

Good idea.Dusty is paid to think this way and its sad that he doesn't.I would say that he should be batting even higher then 8th.

Captain Hook
04-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I think Bruce will be back tonight.If he took BP yesterday he should be able to play today.I hope these few days off can end up being a positive.Having an excuse that's not performance related to sit back and watch things could be good.Hopefully Jay is ready to get back out there and prove these first few weeks was nothing more then a slump.

Who ever wrote this might have been on to something.

RedEyez
04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
intrestinggggggggggg...

schmidty622
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
It's nice to see him starting to come around. especially against the 3 pitchers the Cubs ran out there. I'd like to see him do it for at least a week or two before we get the anointing oils out but I am very encouraged.

Ghosts of 1990
04-23-2009, 07:06 PM
It's nice to see him starting to come around. especially against the 3 pitchers the Cubs ran out there. I'd like to see him do it for at least a week or two before we get the anointing oils out but I am very encouraged.

He likes hitting at home if you look at his splits from last season. GABP is the only place that he fared better then Wrigley Field. A nice 6 game homestand might be just what the doctor ordered for our boy.

He took some nice cuts in the Cubs series. Nice 2 out RBI today. Just hoping he like everyone else can continue to build on it. We need him and Phillips to get hot to keep Votto safe and to continue to get him pitches to hit.

gedred69
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
The apparently relentless success of Votto will push Bruce and Phillips to hit. Hitters feed off each other. The good spells Dunn and Griffey had, (When Jr. wasn't hurt), was the same way. It becomes like a competition. Bruce and Phillips have shown they can be the perverbial "Professional Hitter", and will do their jobs.