PDA

View Full Version : What happened to "getaway day"?

Redlegs
04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Not too pleased to see the Reds being forced to hang around Houston an entire day to play the last of a four game series. What happened to the afternoon game when a team is heading out? Not sure who schedules the game times, but I think it's crap to have the Reds catch a late night flight to Chicago when it's unnecessary. Especially during the longest road trip of the year.

Eric_the_Red
04-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Add in the fact that the Cubs are off today, and tomorrow's game isn't looking good. (And Harden hasn't injured himself yet, so he will be pitching.)

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Not too pleased to see the Reds being forced to hang around Houston an entire day to play the last of a four game series. What happened to the afternoon game when a team is heading out? Not sure who schedules the game times, but I think it's crap to have the Reds catch a late night flight to Chicago when it's unnecessary. Especially during the longest road trip of the year.
On the other hand if it were a day game today it probably wouldn't be on tv.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
GREAT POINT.

Watch us get rained out tomorrow in Chicago though.

PhillipsHead
04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Today should've been a day game, but at least tomorrow is a night game.

Redlegs
04-20-2009, 04:49 PM
On the other hand if it were a day game today it probably wouldn't be on tv.

That's what the radio is for, brother. :beerme:

PhillipsHead
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
That's what the radio is for, brother. :beerme:

Yea, you guys are spoiled (even if the team isn't playing great, I'd still like to watch them). I'm in San Diego and haven't ordered MLB.TV yet, so it's Marty and the Cowboy thus far.

Redlegs
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Yea, you guys are spoiled (even if the team isn't playing great, I'd still like to watch them). I'm in San Diego and haven't ordered MLB.TV yet, so it's Marty and the Cowboy thus far.I guess I'm an old man by message board standards, but at age 40, I remember when the majority of games were not televised. Home games were on once or twice per year and it was a big deal. WLWT Channel 5 carried the Reds when they were on the road and we listened to "Marty & Joe on Reds radio" the rest of the way.

mroby85
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Games being on tv are much more interesting than the radio in my opinion. In fact, if it's not on tv. I usually just check gametracker online.

Redlegs
04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Games being on tv are much more interesting than the radio in my opinion. In fact, if it's not on tv. I usually just check gametracker online.

In that case, you're missing out. Marty can be brash, arrogant, and all those things, but he's also a hall of famer. The Cowboy is funny to me. He's definately still a player in his mind.

Jerome
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Hopefully Harden continues his poor streak. It can't last that much longer.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I definitely like listening on the radio when I have to or can

robmadden1
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
The is not the longest road trip of the season. They have one more 10 day road trip in September.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cin&m=9&y=2009

gedred69
04-20-2009, 07:06 PM
At work I can at least listen to day games, that's good enough, even though,---maybe it's just in my mind---- Reds don't seem to do so well in those day games. Anyhow, I prefer to listen to the radio guys when George Grande is on the tube. His incessant need to make up stories is as annoying as listening to my ex-wife.

Redlegs
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
The is not the longest road trip of the season. They have one more 10 day road trip in September.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cin&m=9&y=2009
Ahhh, but the club is currently on the back end of an 11 day road trip. That makes it the longest of the season.

JBChance
04-21-2009, 02:38 AM
I guess I'm an old man by message board standards, but at age 40, I remember when the majority of games were not televised. Home games were on once or twice per year and it was a big deal. WLWT Channel 5 carried the Reds when they were on the road and we listened to "Marty & Joe on Reds radio" the rest of the way.

I've been listening to Marty and Cowboy/ whoever this season, so far. I like their commentary far more than George Grande. I can't watch the games mostly, anyway. Living in Youngstown means Indians and Pirates games are on every stinkin' day. And Fox Sports Ohio doesn't carry the Reds up here. The only time I see them is when they play the Pirates/ Indians, sometimes against the Braves, or when I visit my parents. When I watch the other team's telecast, I have to listen to the other announcers, with the Pirates' guys being especially annoying. I prefer Marty and whoevever.

Eric_the_Red
04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
I remember being in school and falling asleep to the sounds of Marty & Joe on my clock radio. Those West Coast games were tough to make it through. (I guess they still are.)