PDA

View Full Version : Dustyball and splitting the lefties

mound_patrol
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
We all know that Dusty has to split up Votto and Bruce, but do we really need to keep hitting Phillips 4th? If you have to split those two up then have EE hit 3rd, Votto 4th, Phillips 5th, and Bruce 6th. Obviously Phillips is struggling (0 for last 17) and there is no need to continually bat him 4th.

Eric_the_Red
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
How many threads do we need about Phillips hitting fourth? This is not a new situation, and there are plenty of other discussions about this same topic.

DaytonFlyer
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
You know what I'd like to see them do is to stop batting Phillips fourth.

And maybe they could try batting someone else fourth.

And in the four hole? Not Phillips.

Don't sell us short, Eric, there's lots more ways to discuss this.

PhillipsHead
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Now that Bruce is back, let's try EE at 4.

ChatterRed
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
You know what I'd like to see them do is to stop batting Phillips fourth.

And maybe they could try batting someone else fourth.

And in the four hole? Not Phillips.

Don't sell us short, Eric, there's lots more ways to discuss this.

Yeah I agree.

If we bat someone else 4th, we don't have to bat Phillips 4th. Then maybe we can bat Phillips somewhere else but 4th.

I'm trying to find a new angle on this discussion.

BLEEDS
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but who will bat 4th?

BP? let me think about that...

PEACE

-BLEEDs

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I think we are all missing something very important.There should be something said about who should bat 4th.Why do we keep ignoring this topic?I guess we just don't care enough.:)

Slyder
04-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I think we are all missing something very important.There should be something said about who should bat 4th.Why do we keep ignoring this topic?I guess we just don't care enough.:)

Did this guy scorn Duhhsty's daughter's advance's? Or does he make the first 5 rows duck everytime he goes to throw? Or is he the guy thats play for that new expansion team the Nati' Nals?

CWRed
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I miss Corey Patterson. Now HE could bat 4th. Or wait. Weren't we talking about Adam Dunn? :D

LouisvilleCARDS
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I think lineup order is one of the most overrated things in baseball, especially with a team like this. When you're only manufacturing 3-6 hits a game, lineup order doesn't matter a ton. We could bat Ramon Henandez first and Taveras cleanup, and I'm guessing the offense wouldn't be any worse than it is now.

Captain Hook
04-23-2009, 01:30 AM
I think lineup order is one of the most overrated things in baseball, especially with a team like this. When you're only manufacturing 3-6 hits a game, lineup order doesn't matter a ton. We could bat Ramon Henandez first and Taveras cleanup, and I'm guessing the offense wouldn't be any worse than it is now.

Really?

I'm not sure how putting guys in a position based on their speed, ability to get on base, ability to get a hit, ability to get extra base hits including HRs and also a lack of ability to do all of these things could possibly be overrated.

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Really?

I'm not sure how putting guys in a position based on their speed, ability to get on base, ability to get a hit, ability to get extra base hits including HRs and also a lack of ability to do all of these things could possibly be overrated.

Because it has been proven that lineups have a minuscule effect on team performance (wins and losses) over the course of a 162 game season. Flipping BP and any other position player in the lineup most likely not make a difference in the Reds record at the end of the year.

BLEEDS
04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Because it has been proven that lineups have a minuscule effect on team performance (wins and losses) over the course of a 162 game season. Flipping BP and any other position player in the lineup most likely not make a difference in the Reds record at the end of the year.

It's been "proven" with statistical runs, not in real life.
Believe me, I like RC and other stats as much as the next guy, but the alleged "randomness" is hard to generate in those types of runs, since they don't take into consideration the individual situations that may arise, the switching of pitchers from L to R, hit and runs, sacrifices, etc... they are still very flawed to a point.

If you don't think giving a guy with a .900+ OPS 100+ more Plate Appearances than a guy with a .680 OPS over the course of a year leads to more runs, then you are fooling yourself.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Va Red Fan
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Phillips didn't hit 4th last night.

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
If you don't think giving a guy with a .900+ OPS 100+ more Plate Appearances than a guy with a .680 OPS over the course of a year leads to more runs, then you are fooling yourself.

But we are talking about the Reds. Show me an instance where BP would be swapped with another positional player in the lineup that you think would make a difference in wins.