PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe yet?

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I do!!!!

I know, I know.........it's much too early to be getting fired up about this team and having unrealistic expectations. Atleast that's what the negative nellies would say.

There is something special about this team. It's amazing.......you get rid of a couple of cancer primadonnas, and the Votto's, Bruce's, and others step up with a positive contagious attitude, and voila!!!! lookie what we got!!!!

The starting pitching is what we hoped it would be! The bullpen is what we hoped it would be!!!! and finally the hitting appears to be coming around!!!!

Zambrano is one tough pitcher...........and we knocked him around today!!!!

Now all we have to do is tighten up that defense, and we might have something.

I am so pumped. I have not followed a Reds team this closely in possibly 10 or 15 years. Nothing like young players with fire in them to get the fans excited.

Call me crazy (and I know many will).............but I'm a believer!!!!!!!!!!:beerme:

reds1869
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm a believer, too! This team could be really special. I've always felt Walt knew how to build a winner and his time here will be no different. Think about the Cardinals that won the Series in 2006...they weren't the best group of players in the league by any measure, but they were the best team. This team reminds me a lot of that Redbirds team. It's still really early but this team has shown some legitimate winning spirit.

Boston Red
04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
No, but this is more fun than last year, that's for sure!

DTCromer
04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Call me in August.

flash
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I think this team can be special. But I won't overboard. I could be a year or two before they are really special. They kinda reminds me of the 67 Reds. Young, lots of talent, but maybe not ready to rule the roost. 1970 is coming though.

berryluther
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm skeptical. If we had gotten a proven RH bat like Dye or Mags we would be right there with the Cardinals.

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm skeptical. If we had gotten a proven RH bat like Dye or Mags we would be right there with the Cardinals.

I'm not that impressed with the Cards yet. I think we have better starting and bullpen pitching than they do. Also, everyone is hot with the bat on the Cards right now, and just as the Reds won't stink at the plate all year, nor will the Cards be this hot. Pitching wins pennants and I think we've got a better staff than them.

GOYA
04-23-2009, 06:38 PM
There are too many guys batting below .250 and .200 for me to have much faith in this team. Votto's shoulders are only so big.

But it's not even May yet.

fugowitribe
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I always believe....Haven't any of you seen Angels in the Outfield? "Hey it could Happen." I am like a lot of you though, I get way too excited by the start of the year and get disappointed every summer, but maybe they can at least give us something to watch before Buckeye football rolls around in September....and if that is the case, you have to call them a CONTENDER!

foxfire123
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised with this series. I thought we'd be incredibly lucky to make it out of Chicago with one win, let alone the series.

Maybe, just maybe.... I don't dare hope just yet. But maybe.

NeilHamburger
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Ask me after this homestand.

Ghosts of 1990
04-23-2009, 07:03 PM
I believe....

If we don't soak it all in and enjoy the moment now, it might not be here again. So for now, we're right on the brink. I'll be scoreboard watching already this friday and saturday while I'm at Great American hoping for Cardinals losses and a Reds sweep.

I look at it like right now is our chance to take this league by storm and be the talk of the town. A good strong homestand and continued strong play will have other fans in other cities envying what we have. I've waited a long time for it. I'm hoping that time is now.

So yes, for right now I believe and it is fun to do so.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I believe....

If we don't soak it all in and enjoy the moment now, it might not be here again. So for now, we're right on the brink. I'll be scoreboard watching already this friday and saturday while I'm at Great American hoping for Cardinals losses and a Reds sweep.

I look at it like right now is our chance to take this league by storm and be the talk of the town. A good strong homestand and continued strong play will have other fans in other cities envying what we have. I've waited a long time for it. I'm hoping that time is now.

Amen :beerme:

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I believe this team could finish over .500, which is progress. Being in contention would be icing on the cake.

Now, next year.... :D

jfar23
04-23-2009, 07:27 PM
I'll be interested to see what happens when teams just start intentionally walking Votto and making the rest of the lineup do something. By my calculations the Reds will never win again.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll be interested to see what happens when teams just start intentionally walking Votto and making the rest of the lineup do something. By my calculations the Reds will never win again.

aaaaaaand here comes the negativity :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Bah! You're no fun!

(actually, I said the same thing the other night on the game thread, ah but I digress!) :thumbdown

CarolinaRedleg
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I believe............that this team is infinitely more fun to follow than many of the previous models.

When the bats wake up, we could be on the cusp of something special.

steig
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I believe we have found the hope and change Obama promised. 7 and 3 on a road trip, including a win over Zambrano...wow. I really like the defense up the middle on this team. I know people on here like to rip on Gonzo but he is better than our other choices and Hernandez has impressed me so far with his defense.

Captain Hook
04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I believe we have found the hope and change Obama promised. 7 and 3 on a road trip, including a win over Zambrano...wow. I really like the defense up the middle on this team. I know people on here like to rip on Gonzo but he is better than our other choices and Hernandez has impressed me so far with his defense.

I like the defense up the middle too but he can't continue to hit below .200 and play everyday.

But other than that YES I believe.:beerme:

NeilHamburger
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Well, on this homestand the Reds will face Jurrigans, Lowe, Oswalt and Wandy Rodriguez. This will be a big sign. If they can beat these type of guys again, it leads me to have a little more belief that they are for real

fielder's choice
04-24-2009, 02:29 AM
They don't face Jurrjens

ChatterRed
04-24-2009, 02:39 AM

You had me 'til you mentioned Obama and then I threw up. :thumbdown :D :p:

ian_madden
04-24-2009, 02:51 AM
You had 'til you mentioned Obama and then I threw up. :thumbdown :D :p:

I agree, and I voted for Obama,:beerme: please no politics. Go reds:beerme:!

xavr1
04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I absolutely BELIEVE! Man, what a road trip! I was honestly envisioning that we'd get sweeped by the Cubs with our bats being so dead and their studs pitching. How wrong I was!!

elfmanvt07
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
It's a long season guys...

That being said, the thing I'm most impressed with about the young Redlegs is their overall team confidence. It shows itself in late rally wins and clutch RBI singles, and it's obvious after victories in the guys' demeanor. THAT's what I love to see, instead of old guys who could care less whether or not they win.

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 10:12 AM
I believe....

Indeed, this is what we need to do, pull out these wins and get some coinfidence, and with that the rest will come around. Winning, and losing, can become an epidemic, we have been on the other side long enough, this might be our start to our time!

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
We have a tough matchup tonight. Vazquez is pretty good when on. I think it will be very important to put him in tough situations and get runners on base. Make him work and hopefully get to that Braves Pen.

Volquez needs to stop trying to make the perfect pitch and let his stuff take over. This is a team that will take a walk (other than Francour, although he is better this year) so it will be very important for him to get ahead and put them away with quality pitches.

If we can get last years Volquez tonight I think we can pull it out!

bgwilly31
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I wonder if the pirates forum are having the same thread.

I dont know. I just feel like this could be a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Too early to tell.

RedLakerFan24
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
This team is so fun to watch, watching Dunn and Griff play the outfield was horrible, this outfield has speed, i just dont like when Dikerson makes erros, but we need one Bat if we want to keep winning, Votto is not going to stay this hot and thats why we need a bat

swaisuc
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM

You're correct as long as you believe Brandon Phillips is actually the .150 hitter that he has been so far. Personally, I tend to think Phillips, Edwin, and Bruce are going to start producing at a higher level. If that happens (as many years of baseball statistics imply is likely), then you are way off base.

Markrunz
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
to answer your original question..yes:)

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I believe that this team will be better than last year's team. I believe that the pitching can keep in the running for awhile. In the end, though, I think 85-87 wins would be the max and would be a positive finish for this team (probably 2nd or 3rd in the division). The way the team is setup, this team should improve each year going forward.

Bum

UC_Ken
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I believe that this team will be better than last year's team. I believe that the pitching can keep in the running for awhile. In the end, though, I think 85-87 wins would be the max and would be a positive finish for this team (probably 2nd or 3rd in the division). The way the team is setup, this team should improve each year going forward.

Bum

I am in complete agreement with you. Only thing I'll add is if they get career years from EE and BP then they could get up into the 90's. It doesn't look that way now but it's still very early.

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Bum

That's an NFL mentality.

Beyond cliche', MLB teams don't build basing one year on the next. There is simply too much roster turnover for that.

If a team is successful, they "try to build on that."
If a team is not successful, they "regroup, put their best collective foot forward," then "try to build on that."

In this day and age, either the team stinks or it doesn't. Beyond individual growth, the 2008 Reds have absolutely nothing to do with the 2009 Reds.

Back in the day though, what you said was true of course. The same guys tended to play for the same team for most if not all of their careers. So in this outdated scenario, there really was a "growth as a team" mentality.

But now? I'm glad the Reds Uniforms are doing well this year, I'll put it that way.

WildcatFan
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Call me in August.

Wow. I bet you're a Bengals fan, too

WildcatFan
04-24-2009, 02:56 PM
That's an NFL mentality.

Beyond cliche', MLB teams don't build basing one year on the next. There is simply too much roster turnover for that.

If a team is successful, they "try to build on that."
If a team is not successful, they "regroup, put their best collective foot forward," then "try to build on that."

In this day and age, either the team stinks or it doesn't. Beyond individual growth, the 2008 Reds have absolutely nothing to do with the 2009 Reds.

Back in the day though, what you said was true of course. The same guys tended to play for the same team for most if not all of their careers. So in this outdated scenario, there really was a "growth as a team" mentality.

But now? I'm glad the Reds Uniforms are doing well this year, I'll put it that way.

*air slowly let out of the balloon*

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, in baseball you control players for 6 years so, I will stick with my opinion and you can stick with your's. I bet TB had a different opinion all those years that they were building up to last year's team and beyond.

Good Luck.

Bum

jfar23
04-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Bah! You're no fun!

(actually, I said the same thing the other night on the game thread, ah but I digress!) :thumbdown
It is amazing that they still pitch to him.

You guys got me all wrong. I think the Reds are going to win every game. But I try to use some common sense. I've already had my phases of Brandon Larson is the answer at third and Felipe's defense isn't that bad, right? :D

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, in baseball you control players for 6 years so, I will stick with my opinion and you can stick with your's. I bet TB had a different opinion all those years that they were building up to last year's team and beyond.

Good Luck.

Bum

You really think last year's Rays had anything to do with all the last place Rays of year's past?

If you want to ignore the reality of present day MLB, more power to you. Heck, I miss old baseball. The Reds were even on Channel 5 (for free...gasp!) back in the day. But those days are long gone.

Good Luck. :beerme:

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 03:31 PM
*air slowly let out of the balloon*

That's the sound I hear when I compare new baseball to old baseball too. Great minds think alike! :thumbup:

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
ahhh...I'm dealing with the all-knowing then (should have known by the name)...I didn't know that. Baseball teams built in a year; they pop up like Morels (mushrooms for those that don't know) in the spring. Huh...without $200M to spend I don't believe that is possible. I agree that it shouldn't take 10-15 years to build a winning franchise but it also can't happen overnight. Some players are placeholders until either a 'prospect' is ready or a free agent is signed. For example, Dickerson, Taveras, Gonzalez, and EDE are all most likely placeholders on the current team until various players are ready (ie: Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Stubbs, Heisey, Soto, etc.) or until some of those guys are ready and the Reds sign a couple of free agents. Sure, the building process is different than it used to be, but baseball is still the most traditional sport still being played. Things are always changing and they always will continue to change. Will the Reds be contenders this year? Unlikely in the end; but, the players that remain next will use this year to build toward next year. I respect your opinion but that is all it is; just like this is my opinion only.

Hope you enjoy the season.

Bum

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
ahhh...I'm dealing with the all-knowing then (should have known by the name)...I didn't know that. Baseball teams built in a year; they pop up like Morels (mushrooms for those that don't know) in the spring. Huh...without $200M to spend I don't believe that is possible. I agree that it shouldn't take 10-15 years to build a winning franchise but it also can't happen overnight. Some players are placeholders until either a 'prospect' is ready or a free agent is signed. For example, Dickerson, Taveras, Gonzalez, and EDE are all most likely placeholders on the current team until various players are ready (ie: Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Stubbs, Heisey, Soto, etc.) or until some of those guys are ready and the Reds sign a couple of free agents. Sure, the building process is different than it used to be, but baseball is still the most traditional sport still being played. Things are always changing and they always will continue to change. Will the Reds be contenders this year? Unlikely in the end; but, the players that remain next will use this year to build toward next year. I respect your opinion but that is all it is; just like this is my opinion only.

Hope you enjoy the season.

Bum

Ans when those placeholders are ready, then Bruce, Votto, etc will have to move on because a small market team like the Reds won't be able to afford them anymore.

So by your own admission, a team has core players, placeholder players, and future players. When the future players are ready, then you lose the core players because you can't afford both. Its an endless cycle where only the names change. But as far as one year having to do with the next in MLB anymore? Nice dream, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. :beerme:

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Timing is everything. We will see. Sometimes that is life with a mid-market franchise. Baseball apparently doesn't care to find a real resolution to that problem. Superior management of the minor league system may give the Reds a chance to be competitive in the near future but being competitive for 5+ consecutive seasons will be difficult.

Enjoy the High Life! :beerme:

Bum

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Following the off-topic direction this thread has taken, I believe it is much easier to turn a NFL team around in one year than an MLB team. In the NFL you can draft 7 players and it isn't realistic to have 2-4 of them become starters that year.

There are way more examples of quick turnarounds in the NFL recently than MLB. Take a look at the NFC South standings for the last few years to see many of them. Tampa Rays worst to first successes are few and far between in baseball.

WillyT
04-24-2009, 04:39 PM
This is my first year following the Reds so I'm not as jaded as the long time Reds fans so I say heck yeah I believe! This team has a similar feel to me as the 2007 Rockies team that I followed when Taveras was there. Of course everything went right with that team down the stretch but Jimenez and Morales carried that team down the stretch the way I hope Volquez and Cueto can lead this team. This team is off to a better start of course than that team but if the offense can keep this team in games they have the pitching to really make things interesting IMO.

BLEEDS
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I believe we have been Extremely lucky thus far, and I hope it continues.

Our offense has been able to keep up with the pitching we get so far, and both have been erratic.

This focus on Speed, Defense, and Pitching has really boiled down to one thing, that we already had - Pitching.
I do agree Gonzo in the field, and bringing virtually nothing to the plate is still miles ahead of Keppinger/JHJ at the plate & field.

What I think will get better:
Volquez pitching - can't get any worse
EE hitting - can't get any worse, he'll end up with a ~.900 OPS
Hernandez hitting - I think he'll get comfortable with the bat, and his D already is enough to get us a couple win-shares over last year, IMO.
Agon hitting - can't get any worse, but won't get much better. Maybe career norms. He will get 80% of the starts unless he gets injured, so we all better get used to it.

What I think will get worse:
Taveras OBP - he's at .375, but that won't continue, hopefully it stays at .340+ though
Reds OBP - same deal, we've taken, more so been given, a ridiculous amount of walks so far. Hopefully EE and BP continue to be more picky, but BP has lest propensity.

What I think will stay the same:
OF Defense - I don't think we're going to get the great D we all hoped for - especially in LF. BY no means will this overcome the loss of Offense out there.
IF Defense - this isn't terrible, as it is pretty good overall, unfortunately I just don't think EE"s going to ever get any better, and it will continue to be an achilles.
BP hitting - yeah, it won't stay at .184, but I think you're going to see a .250/.260 with a huge decline in SLG overall, similar to last year. I hope he adjusts to being a better OBP guy and stays in the 6 hole.

I see glimmer of hope, but it's going to have to be 80% on the pitching.
Harang, Arroyo and Cueto I think are going to have solid years.
It's all on Volquez to put it together and not have a HUGE dropoff from last year, but his post All-star stats are probably more indicative of the "real" Volquez, but he can still improve on that.
And, then the dreaded #5 starter. I don't think we can put up enough offense to win those starts where our #5 starter has a 5.0+ ERA.
The bullpen looks to be solid, sans one obvious sore thumb - Lincoln. If we can get someone else in there, we should be good to go.

I REALLY think this team can have success in late innings, especially with that bullpen. I hate to admit it, but I really think the L-R-L of splitting up Votto and Bruce is going to have a huge factor in that. Point for Dusty.
Votto hits lefties decent, but they'll still bring him in, and if ANYONE can hit in the 4 hole, it sets us up for attacking other team's bullpens, and I think we'll also reap huge benefits from BP batting 6th because he's a base-stealing threat there when he can't be in the 4 hole.

SO, our gameplan will be: hope our SP keeps pace with the other team's starters and we get to their bullpen first. IFF Volquez and Cueto can pitch into the 6+ more often than not, then we could be in a lot of games.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I believe we have been Extremely lucky thus far, and I hope it continues.

Our offense has been able to keep up with the pitching we get so far, and both have been erratic.

This focus on Speed, Defense, and Pitching has really boiled down to one thing, that we already had - Pitching.
I do agree Gonzo in the field, and bringing virtually nothing to the plate is still miles ahead of Keppinger/JHJ at the plate & field.

EE hitting - can't get any worse, he'll end up with a ~.900 OPS
Hernandez hitting - I think he'll get comfortable with the bat, and his D already is enough to get us a couple win-shares over last year, IMO.
Agon hitting - can't get any worse, but won't get much better. Maybe career norms. He will get 80% of the starts unless he gets injured, so we all better get used to it.

What I think will get worse:
Taveras OBP - he's at .375, but that won't continue, hopefully it stays at .340+ though
Reds OBP - same deal, we've taken, more so been given, a ridiculous amount of walks so far. Hopefully EE and BP continue to be more picky, but BP has lest propensity.

What I think will stay the same:
OF Defense - I don't think we're going to get the great D we all hoped for - especially in LF. BY no means will this overcome the loss of Offense out there.
IF Defense - this isn't terrible, as it is pretty good overall, unfortunately I just don't think EE"s going to ever get any better, and it will continue to be an achilles.
BP hitting - yeah, it won't stay at .184, but I think you're going to see a .250/.260 with a huge decline in SLG overall, similar to last year. I hope he adjusts to being a better OBP guy and stays in the 6 hole.

I see glimmer of hope, but it's going to have to be 80% on the pitching.
Harang, Arroyo and Cueto I think are going to have solid years.
It's all on Volquez to put it together and not have a HUGE dropoff from last year, but his post All-star stats are probably more indicative of the "real" Volquez, but he can still improve on that.
And, then the dreaded #5 starter. I don't think we can put up enough offense to win those starts where our #5 starter has a 5.0+ ERA.
The bullpen looks to be solid, sans one obvious sore thumb - Lincoln. If we can get someone else in there, we should be good to go.

I REALLY think this team can have success in late innings, especially with that bullpen. I hate to admit it, but I really think the L-R-L of splitting up Votto and Bruce is going to have a huge factor in that. Point for Dusty.
Votto hits lefties decent, but they'll still bring him in, and if ANYONE can hit in the 4 hole, it sets us up for attacking other team's bullpens, and I think we'll also reap huge benefits from BP batting 6th because he's a base-stealing threat there when he can't be in the 4 hole.

SO, our gameplan will be: hope our SP keeps pace with the other team's starters and we get to their bullpen first. IFF Volquez and Cueto can pitch into the 6+ more often than not, then we could be in a lot of games.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I think the previous seasons have all been pointing to this upswing. I'm not expecting to win the division or go to the playoffs this year, but I do see an upswing.

Arroyo has pitched well since last year's all-star break. He is always going to be a 4.50 e.r.a. pitcher (hopefully). Harang has regained his form and is nearly an ace. Cueto is the guy expect to turn into a Rijo-type pitcher in the coming years. I have stated the same things about Volquez on other threads, that he is going to be more like what he did in the second half of last season rather than the first half. I also see the problems with having a 5th starter with a 5.00+ e.r.a. if you cannot score runs.

I still maintain that ownership is using this year to continue to develop the farm system players, see who continues to emerge on the ml roster, and then fill the gaps, hopefully this offseason.

But I do believe this is one of the best pitching staffs the Reds have ever had.

BLEEDS
04-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Guess I was wrong.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Guess I was wrong.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
He might not have been great, but a team should be able to recover from 3 runs over 5 innings. That isn't exactly like the classic Arroyo implosions where the Reds are down seven after two innings. He'll come around. The pitchers are working with a new catcher with whom they are still adjusting. Volquez may have had one or two spring starts with Hernandez.

One other thing about Hernandez, did anyone else notice that he didn't set up his glove until the last possible moment? I'm not a pitching expert (although I play one on this message board), but when I pitched I loved having an early target to hit. I know that good hitters can sense where the glove is set up, but that doesn't matter if Volquez can't hit the target, right?

BLEEDS
04-25-2009, 08:26 AM
He might not have been great, but a team should be able to recover from 3 runs over 5 innings. That isn't exactly like the classic Arroyo implosions where the Reds are down seven after two innings. He'll come around. The pitchers are working with a new catcher with whom they are still adjusting. Volquez may have had one or two spring starts with Hernandez.

One other thing about Hernandez, did anyone else notice that he didn't set up his glove until the last possible moment? I'm not a pitching expert (although I play one on this message board), but when I pitched I loved having an early target to hit. I know that good hitters can sense where the glove is set up, but that doesn't matter if Volquez can't hit the target, right?

So you think he got better?!? That was my statement. He couldn't get any worse.

Now, I'm no pitching expert either, but I've got to think that the catcher and how quickly or late he sets up his glove doesn't have TOO much relationship to the reason why someone would walk 5 (FIVE) consecutive batters, including the opposing teams' pitcher. That's just me though, I'm no Dick Pole.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:31 AM
So you think he got better?!? That was my statement. He couldn't get any worse.

Now, I'm no pitching expert either, but I've got to think that the catcher and how quickly or late he sets up his glove doesn't have TOO much relationship to the reason why someone would walk 5 (FIVE) consecutive batters, including the opposing teams' pitcher. That's just me though, I'm no Dick Pole.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
He's not going to continue to walk 5 in a row (I hope...). In the meantime, if you are a catcher and see that your pitcher is struggling to throw strikes maybe you put the glove up a little earlier on a few pitches to help him.

DTCromer
04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Cincinnati sports fans always fall into the trap every year. Bengals fans continue to root for a sorry franchise that always wins 3-4 games to end the year against scrub teams and their off-season is full of glee and optimism.

The Reds will win a series or two in April against a team we all detest and frankly, are overrated as we all know from year-to-year and we start threads like this.

BLEEDS
04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
that's why we are fans, which is short for fanatical, which implies a lack of logic and excess of enthusiasm...

Usually with time, history and age, some folks lose this whimsical optimism and temper it with realistic expectations, and maybe some hope...:pray:

Sometimes, not. :dancingco

So, usually you just end up sad and disappointed.:all_cohol

PEACE

-BLEEDS

improbus
04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
that's why we are fans, which is short for fanatical, which implies a lack of logic and excess of enthusiasm...

Usually with time, history and age, some folks lose this whimsical optimism and temper it with realistic expectations, and maybe some hope...:pray:

Sometimes, not. :dancingco

So, usually you just end up sad and disappointed.:all_cohol

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Also, if we were completely logical, we would have found a better outlet for our time. Why follow a team with what little time we have in this life that continually lets you down? Precisely because we are irrational by nature. People almost never do the logical thing. Plus, when the Reds do make a run, which is bound to happen someday, you want to make sure that you were there from the beginning.

BLEEDS
04-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Also, if we were completely logical, we would have found a better outlet for our time. Why follow a team with what little time we have in this life that continually lets you down? Precisely because we are irrational by nature. People almost never do the logical thing. Plus, when the Reds do make a run, which is bound to happen someday, you want to make sure that you were there from the beginning.

Agreed. If you are a Reds fan, in this day and age, there is obviously something wrong with you.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

improbus
04-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Agreed. If you are a Reds fan, in this day and age, there is obviously something wrong with you.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
The Reds are just fortunate that there is something wrong with everyone.

reds1869
04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'm even worse off in the logic category than most. The Reds are my life long passion and I pull for the Mariners in the AL. All this from someone with multiple college degrees; I guess they didn't teach me common sense. The smily below describes what I have to do to cope.

:beerme:

Dude Rock
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Cincinnati sports fans always fall into the trap every year. Bengals fans continue to root for a sorry franchise that always wins 3-4 games to end the year against scrub teams and their off-season is full of glee and optimism.

The Reds will win a series or two in April against a team we all detest and frankly, are overrated as we all know from year-to-year and we start threads like this.

Yep, they're just falling apart. :rolleyes:

Go Reds!!!!! :beerme:

schmidty622
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
If the Reds can get out of May 5+ games over .500, I will start to really get excited.

And with 9 of their remaining 15 games in the month being against teams that are playing badly, I think they may have a shot.

bgwilly31
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Im getting there. :thumbup:

Gizmo
05-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I've mentioned this to my friends, so i'll note it here. For the longest time I'd watch a Reds game knowing full well they'd probably find a way to lose. This season I'm starting to believe that they have a good chance to find a way to win.

Dude Rock
05-14-2009, 11:38 AM
If the Reds can get out of May 5+ games over .500, I will start to really get excited.

And with 9 of their remaining 15 games in the month being against teams that are playing badly, I think they may have a shot.

They're already 6 games over .500. No way they go less than .500 from here on out in May.

I predict they will be 10 games over .500 by month's end. The hitting is really taking flight and the pitching is still topnotch.

2nd in the NL in team e.r.a. and 6th in team batting average. Woo-hoo!!!!

And they are tied for the 2nd best record in the NL behind the Dodgers who have 23 wins.

OesterPoster
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Same here Giz. In other seasons, I'd have expected the Reds to get shutout by some kid making his big league debut. But last night, I felt differently about their chances. There's something about this team that feels different. We read about it in spring training articles with quotes from opposing scouts, sportswriters, etc. They all cited things like "positive energy" and "chemistry". Those things tend to be chicken-and-egg types of arguments. You can't have good chemistry without winning, and you can't win without good chemistry. But I honestly think this team has a group of guys who really like one another, and we no longer have the Griffey aura hanging over their heads.

I like it. I told someone the other day that I haven't paid for Reds tickets for a game in Cincinnati for about 5 years. I'm definitely going to buy tickets to 1 or more home games this year.

Rockermann
05-14-2009, 11:45 AM
A season consists of peaks and valleys. If this current streak is a peak, I'm not sure it's high enough to average out the lows. But for now, I'm pretty freakin' excited.

Brisco
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Same here Giz. In other seasons, I'd have expected the Reds to get shutout by some kid making his big league debut. But last night, I felt differently about their chances. There's something about this team that feels different. We read about it in spring training articles with quotes from opposing scouts, sportswriters, etc. They all cited things like "positive energy" and "chemistry". Those things tend to be chicken-and-egg types of arguments. You can't have good chemistry without winning, and you can't win without good chemistry. But I honestly think this team has a group of guys who really like one another, and we no longer have the Griffey aura hanging over their heads.

I like it. I told someone the other day that I haven't paid for Reds tickets for a game in Cincinnati for about 5 years. I'm definitely going to buy tickets to 1 or more home games this year.

Count me among the converted as well. I lurk on every ORG game thread while 'watching' gamechannel and unlike prior years, where if we are ahead I hope the game ends before we screw it up, or if we are behind, I want to stop watching in the third inning.... this year, ahead or behind, I EXPECT to be in every game until the last out. It sure makes baseball a lot more fun to be justifiably optomistic.

Jones1
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
There is a different energy with this club. In the Griff Dunn era all the players never stood at the dugout railing watching eagerly at every second of the game. These guys are fired up and ready to win and compete! Add in the pitching and this team is a dark horse on the rise.

Jefferson24
05-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't count me in the "believing" crowd quite yet. I would like to see what transpieres when we get EE and Gonzo healthy. I want to see if Dusty automatically puts them in the line up and sits down two hot bats.

I'll believe when Dusty shows me he can manage to win and not just do things a certain way because that's how it's done.

Ghosts of 1990
05-14-2009, 12:30 PM
As long as we stay healthy (which we've had amazing luck at so far knock on wood) I think we'll be in this thing all year long. So yes, if we're healthy I believe.

Dude Rock
05-15-2009, 02:51 AM
As long as we stay healthy (which we've had amazing luck at so far knock on wood) I think we'll be in this thing all year long. So yes, if we're healthy I believe.

Actually we haven't been that healthy. We just have good backups that have gotten the job done. You need to give Hairston, Rosales, and Hernandez (1st base) props.

Krawhitham
05-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Do you believe yet?

It Dusty still the manager?

BLEEDS
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

A season consists of peaks and valleys. If this current streak is a peak, I'm not sure it's high enough to average out the lows. But for now, I'm pretty freakin' excited.

This is my thinking. Right now we are feasting on shoddy teams and was able to take 2 of 3 from both the Cubs and Cards.
We need to get a lead now, so we can weather the inevitable valleys that are headed are way when we start facing stiffer competition.

HOPEFULLY we don't get too down in those valleys and completely fall apart, especially with our young pitchers and inconsistent-minded other position players (BP, EE, etc).
People at RZ will inevitably start spouting June stats - this guy is batting .xxx this month, this guy has an era of x.xx - so any downturns will be scrutinized beyond belief and the nay-sayers will be back in full force.

But "Do I believe?":
I believe we aren't quite as good as our current record/stats shows, but have the potential to gel as a group, but we're still going to be a Power LH bat from really making a serious push beyond possibly aiming for 2nd/3rd place in the NL Central.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Captain Hook
05-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I believe we aren't quite as good as our current record/stats shows, but have the potential to gel as a group, but we're still going to be a Power LH bat from really making a serious push beyond possibly aiming for 2nd/3rd place in the NL Central.

I see a lot of people say this and I agree 100%.2/3 is a very realistic prediction at this point.If we want to take over the division a power bat is still probably needed.

I'm only commenting on this because, isn't 2/3rd in the central good enough?Second place could very likely land us in the playoffs.Thats the goal at this point imo.While third place doesn't get us in it means we probably held together pretty good and still had a very good season with a very young team.Not to mention we didn't have to give up any prospects.

If we get a All-Star bat in a big trade I'll be happy don't get me wrong.I'm just starting to believe that it is not as important as it was once thought.

UPRedsFan
05-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I believe because...

The starting pitching will prevent any prolonged losing streaks. With Harang, Cueto, Volquez each 5 days it's hard to imagine any more than a 3 game losing streak.

3, 4, and 5 game win streaks are easy to imagine on the weeks that Arroyo and Owings are on.

They are holding their own against the central this year.

They had a .500 record before the team started hitting. EE, Phillips, Hairston, Bruce, Hernandez, Gonzo, all struggled the first month and yet they hung around. Now that the offense is coming it's clearly better than a .500 team. I believe wild card is in the picture.

BLEEDS
05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
I see a lot of people say this and I agree 100%.2/3 is a very realistic prediction at this point.If we want to take over the division a power bat is still probably needed.

I'm only commenting on this because, isn't 2/3rd in the central good enough?Second place could very likely land us in the playoffs.Thats the goal at this point imo.While third place doesn't get us in it means we probably held together pretty good and still had a very good season with a very young team.Not to mention we didn't have to give up any prospects.

If we get a All-Star bat in a big trade I'll be happy don't get me wrong.I'm just starting to believe that it is not as important as it was once thought.

I'm not going to assume 2nd place in the NL Central is in Wild Card contention. I fully expect the Cubs to win the division by 10+ games, maybe quite a bit more. We could get 2nd place with an 82-80 record, that won't be Wild Card material.

It would be good enough for the FO, IMO, because simply being above .500 - they could readily claim "The Losing Has Ended!!!"

Unfortunately, with just a LITTLE imagination, and a few more Dollars, putting a Legit Power Bat in LF - RH or LH, I don't care - could have propelled us to a Division Crown and Pennant contention the way this pitching staff has looked thus far.
Extremely sad if you ask me.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Hondo
05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not going to assume 2nd place in the NL Central is in Wild Card contention. I fully expect the Cubs to win the division by 10+ games, maybe quite a bit more. We could get 2nd place with an 82-80 record, that won't be Wild Card material.

It would be good enough for the FO, IMO, because simply being above .500 - they could readily claim "The Losing Has Ended!!!"

Unfortunately, with just a LITTLE imagination, and a few more Dollars, putting a Legit Power Bat in LF - RH or LH, I don't care - could have propelled us to a Division Crown and Pennant contention the way this pitching staff has looked thus far.
Extremely sad if you ask me.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I agree totally all but the Cubs winning by 10 games... I agree on the Right Handed Hitter... It is like... One piece is missing to put the club over the top and it is frustrating...

Eric_the_Red
05-16-2009, 07:15 AM
"We could get 2nd place with an 82-80 record"? Really? I suppose it's possible but in this division this year, there is no way 82 wins gets 2nd place.

And, what team does "Power Bat" play for? If the team spent the money it would take to get the bat, then they don't sign Taveras, Rhodes, etc. No guarantee the team would be in the same position they are now.

improbus
05-16-2009, 09:35 AM
The Reds have the 19th highest payroll in baseball and are currently 25th in average attendance. I don't see the bat coming anytime soon. We are averaging 1,400 more fans per game than the Marlins and 2,000 more than the Nats...

Va Red Fan
05-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I never doubted. The Reds are playing well and I feel that they will make the moves needed to compete. By the way, what all of us assume is the missing link and what actually turns out to be the final piece could be very different.

Va Red Fan
05-16-2009, 06:43 PM
This is my thinking. Right now we are feasting on shoddy teams and was able to take 2 of 3 from both the Cubs and Cards.
We need to get a lead now, so we can weather the inevitable valleys that are headed are way when we start facing stiffer competition.

HOPEFULLY we don't get too down in those valleys and completely fall apart, especially with our young pitchers and inconsistent-minded other position players (BP, EE, etc).
People at RZ will inevitably start spouting June stats - this guy is batting .xxx this month, this guy has an era of x.xx - so any downturns will be scrutinized beyond belief and the nay-sayers will be back in full force.

But "Do I believe?":

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I hope that you have nothing to do with counseling in your career. I don't care who we beat, we must win. We are winning more than losing - that is a good thing. Leave it alone.

Dude Rock
05-16-2009, 07:38 PM
The Reds have the 19th highest payroll in baseball and are currently 25th in average attendance. I don't see the bat coming anytime soon. We are averaging 1,400 more fans per game than the Marlins and 2,000 more than the Nats...

I don't want to mortgage the farm for an additional bat.

If we do acquire an additional bat, I hope it's from some team more interested in reducing/unloading payroll than what the return is...........and sometimes that happens...........and especially in this economy.

BLEEDS
05-17-2009, 02:23 AM
I hope that you have nothing to do with counseling in your career. I don't care who we beat, we must win. We are winning more than losing - that is a good thing. Leave it alone.

:thumbdown:p::thumbdown:p:

:mooner::mooner::clap::clap:

:wave::wave::dancingco:dancingco

:usa::usa:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I do!!!!

I know, I know.........it's much too early to be getting fired up about this team and having unrealistic expectations. Atleast that's what the negative nellies would say.

I dont.

And those negative nellies seem to be more right than wrong here for years and years and years. maybe we shouldnt bash them so much.

This team has something special alright. Could be the worst team reds baseball ive seen in many yrs. Possibility of losing 100 games.

I dont think anybody guessed that for this year.

Call me in August.

A few days late but here's your call. And here's your sign. :laugh:

BigPoppa
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes, I do. I believe.

I believe tonight we reached 8 losses in a row and 14 of the last 15.

I believe the wheels have fallen off the starting pitching, and I believe Dick Pole should be fired. I believe we should hire (a partially sedated) Mario Soto immediately as the pitching coach.

I believe we continue to struggle to even get runners on base, much less score runs. I believe we have no "small ball" skills - if we score, it's probably because someone went yard. I believe Brook Jacoby should be fired, and Sean Casey hired as hitting coach.

I believe we will finish in 6th, 7 games behind the Pirates.

I believe Dusty (who I like) is not the guy, and should be fired.

I believe we should give Rick Sweet a chance at the big club.

I believe we should move Cordero ASAP. That's just too much money for a closer that we rarely get to use anymore.

I believe we should keep Rhodes and move Weathers.

I believe Hanigan has earned the starting job, and we should move Hernandez (who I like).

I believe I'll probably be back later when I think of more stuff that I believe.

I believe I'll have a couple of Skyline coneys when I'm at GABP later this month for the Dodgers' series.

And finally................

I believe that no matter how rough things will get this year, this is my team and I will hang in there (no matter how painful) and continue to pull for the Cincinnati Reds. :reds:

CRedsLarkin11
08-04-2009, 11:25 PM
I believe that no matter how rough things will get this year, this is my team and I will hang in there (no matter how painful) and continue to pull for the Cincinnati Reds. :reds:

Same here buddy. I'm going down with the ship, year in and year out...let's just hope that one day that makes the good times even sweeter

Plus Plus
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I dont.

And those negative nellies seem to be more right than wrong here for years and years and years. maybe we shouldnt bash them so much.

This team has something special alright. Could be the worst team reds baseball ive seen in many yrs. Possibility of losing 100 games.

I dont think anybody guessed that for this year.

A few days late but here's your call. And here's your sign. :laugh:

A bump for an "I told you so." How mature.

Jr's Boy
08-05-2009, 01:26 AM
I believe this team has no idea what's going on.

Captain Hook
08-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Im getting there. :thumbup:

Not that I think bgwilly31 was saying that he told us so.I at least didn't take it that way.It was more like someone else told us so.

All of that aside.This team has been so bad lately I can't blame anyone for getting excited when they go on a nice run.I actually give them credit for getting excited considering how easy it would be not to with all the let downs over the years.But hey,if your going to be a Reds fan you might as well get excited and start threads like this to explain how happy you are that the Reds are winning and how they are going to the playoffs when they are actually playing good, because it doesn't happen very often.

Basically what I'm say is "why be miserable all of the time".Enjoy it while it last then resort to the negative,gripping,pessimistic fan that we all have earned the right to be by putting up with this for so many years when the loosing starts.