PDA

View Full Version : Will the Reds spend post All-Star?

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Everyone's criticism is that the Reds need a power RH bat.

If they are in 1st or 2nd and making a good run, do you think Castellini would open up the checkbook for a power hitter when the post All-Star game fire sale starts?

I think he would. Just as I was sure that Lindner wouldn't.

UC_Ken
04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I think he will. He badly wants to bring a winner to Cincinnati. The only question is if the recession will hurt the Reds too bad. I tend to think that this is such a bandwagon town that the Reds being in contention would bring in more people than the recession would keep away.

Captain Hook
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I think if they are in 1st or 2nd place and have a glaring weakness it is a obligation of the team to attempt to improve on that weakness.I don't know if they should do it at all cost but considering how long it has been since they have made the playoffs I think they should.

nmculbreth
04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd tentatively say yes.

Despite the Reds unwillingness to spend a lot of money addressing the need for another power bat in the off season, this ownership group has shown a much greater willingness to invest money in order to improve the organization. Given their willingness to give $2 mil + signing bonuses to players like Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez and offering $5mil to Michael Iona, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that ownership would be willing to invest a bit of money to try to make a post season push.

All of this assumes that the economy doesn't do erode attendance figures appreciably. If that ends up being the case the likelihood of any major payroll augmentation decreases substantially.

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I think he will. He badly wants to bring a winner to Cincinnati. The only question is if the recession will hurt the Reds too bad. I tend to think that this is such a bandwagon town that the Reds being in contention would bring in more people than the recession would keep away.

I don't get this statement.

Bandwagon - noun

---a party, cause, movement, etc., that by its mass appeal or strength readily attracts many followers: After it became apparent that the incumbent would win, everyone decided to jump on the bandwagon.

By dictionary defintion, the Reds have sucked for too long to have a bandwagon. Red Sox? Sure. Yankees? You bet.

But the Reds? Or the Bengals? Or any other Cincinati Sports teams besides the Muskies and Cyclones? They all have simply been too terrible for too long, in too small of a market share to EVER garner a bandwagon.

People confuse "bandwagon" with "holy crap! They actually don't stink at this particular moment!" Easy to do, but now you know the difference. :)

Personally I think it all comes from fans who blindly throw money at organizations even when they aren't moving in the right direction. Then when the team finally does well, they think they deserve some medal of honor for buying a Pinto all those years. Hence the "bandwagon" term misuse.

If Ford suddenly starts making great cars and I buy a Ford, am I a bandwagon Ford Buyer now?

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
It would be suicide not to; spend money, make money, give up and watch the fan base drift away.....

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd tentatively say yes.

All of this assumes that the economy doesn't do erode attendance figures appreciably. If that ends up being the case the likelihood of any major payroll augmentation decreases substantially.

If the Reds are making a run of it and Castellini doesn't add a RH power bat and blames it on the economy... then how could anyone justify giving another Red cent to the Reds?

nmculbreth
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
If the Reds are making a run of it and Castellini doesn't add a RH power bat and blames it on the economy... then how could anyone justify giving another Red cent to the Reds?

You're paying for the product on the field, if you're not happy with it you are free to spend your disposable income elsewhere.

This all comes down to revenue. If the Reds revenue stream is relatively healthy, I'm fairly certain that this ownership group will be willing to invest a bit of money to acquire a big bat in order to try to recoup their investment further down the line. If the Reds don't feel like they'll be able to recoup that investment, I'd imagine they'd be less inclined to acquire that bat.

They're not a not for profit organization. It seems incredibly short sighted to say that they should be sinking money into their product, regardless of the financial ramifications.

Fon Duc Tow
04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
They're not a not for profit organization. It seems incredibly short sighted to say that they should be sinking money into their product, regardless of the financial ramifications.

I agree with most of what you say, but you have to spend money to make money. If the Reds are doing well, and there is no profit in adding a power RH bat, then that is basically saying there is no profit in fielding a winning ballclub.

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
More than the Reds wins and losses, I think it will come down to attendance numbers. If more people are coming through the turnstiles, I think the organization will spend. If people stay away, I think the Reds will do the same.

ChatterRed
04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't think the recession is going to hurt this team because I know I'm more interested this year than I have been in a very long time. I plan on going down to more games than I have in recent past. I feel that many will feel like I do, and attendance will be decent this year if this team stays in like 3rd place or better. If they fall out of contention, then any All-Star trade is a moot point anyhow, and so will attendance be.

redsfanmia
04-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Big Bob is the owner so I say not a chance.

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Reds are not going to do anything during the season. This is not an organization that throws money around. They have brought up their youth and the farm system is weakened because of it, so there is less to trade than there was last year. Sorry guys, the historical precedent says no.

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't think the recession is going to hurt this team because I know I'm more interested this year than I have been in a very long time. I plan on going down to more games than I have in recent past. I feel that many will feel like I do, and attendance will be decent this year if this team stays in like 3rd place or better. If they fall out of contention, then any All-Star trade is a moot point anyhow, and so will attendance be.

But those of us who post on Reds message boards aren't the people that the Reds are worried about. We are the crazies (in a good way of course). We will go to games whether they win 90 or 65. It is the joe shmoe fan that really makes or breaks a team like the Reds. I'm not so sure that the 30k figures will continue. Last night was the nicest night of the year, and every person I knew was freaking out at work about spending the rest of the day outside. The novelty of nice weather doesn't last very long.

fewfirstchoice
04-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Guys you all are getting way ahead of yourselves here. There is no way the Reds are in first or second come the all-star break. I hope and pray with everything in me Im wrong I would love to eat some crow but I just cant see anyway this team can contend with how it is. The Reds have 2 offensive player in Votto and Bruce. Phillips could help if Dusty would get him out of the 4 spot and he would quit swinging for the fences every single time. But there is no way the Reds will be in first or second place at mid season. This start is just luck. They have had alot of breaks go there way and the pitching has been good. I think the pitching has a chance to stay pretty decent all year but out offense is just horrible. Our pitchers could give up 3 runs a game all year and still lose 90% of the time because the offense is so bad.

But to answer the question if some how by the grace of God the Reds are contending come mid season I cant see Bob spending any money. He proved this off season that no matter how big of a need the Reds have if he doesnt think he will profit he will not spend no matter ho good a player he could get. The Reds are still stuck with a lame owner.

bounty37h
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
You're paying for the product on the field, if you're not happy with it you are free to spend your disposable income elsewhere.

This all comes down to revenue. If the Reds revenue stream is relatively healthy, I'm fairly certain that this ownership group will be willing to invest a bit of money to acquire a big bat in order to try to recoup their investment further down the line. If the Reds don't feel like they'll be able to recoup that investment, I'd imagine they'd be less inclined to acquire that bat.

You need fans to make that revenue though. Dont give them the product, the fans stop coming, the revenue goes down. Invest money into being a contender, the fans will become part of it, revenue picks up-its a 2way street, and everyone needs to step up.