PDA

View Full Version : Pitching stats

ChatterRed
05-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2009&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

Reds are 8th in team e.r.a. in all of the major leagues. When was the last time the Reds had a top ten pitching staff?

This is really cool.

Teams they play in May?

Pittsburgh: Team e.r.a. 3.41 (1st in mlb)
Florida: 4.39 (14th)
St. Louis: 3.65 (4th)
Milwaukee: 4.16 (10th)
Philly: 5.63 (26th)
Houston: 4.13 (9th)
Arizona: 4.52 (17th)
San Diego: 4.90 (22nd)
Cleveland: 5.81 (30th)

We're 1-1 against Pitt for the season.
We're 2-1 against Milwaukee for the season so far.
We're 4-3 against Houston for the season.

Offense of teams we play in May:
St. Louis: .285 (3rd)
Philly: .270 (9th)
Cleveland: .265 (13th)
Pitt: .264 (15th)
San Diego: .258 (20th)
Milwaukee: .251 (23rd)
Florida: .246 (26th)
Houston: .244 (27th)
Reds: .235 (29th)
Arizona: .231 (30th)

NL Central pitching:
Pittsburgh: 3.41 (1st)
St. Louis: 3.65 (4th)
Cincinnati: 4.11 (8th)
Houston: 4.13 (9th)
Milwaukee: 4.16 (10th)
Chicago: 4.70 (20th)

NL Central hitting:
St. Louis: .285 (tied for 2nd)
Pittsburgh: .264 (15th)
Milwaukee: .251 (23rd)
Chicago: .246 (25th)
Houston: .244 (27th)
Cincinnati: .235 (29th)

Wow! Never thought the Central would be one of the best pitching divisions in baseball.

Considering the Reds have played Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Houston and Chicago........it might explain the lack of hitting. Look for the offense to take off when we get out of division.

ChatterRed
05-02-2009, 04:05 AM
After tonight, the Reds are 6th overall in e.r.a. in all of mlb.

RedLakerFan24
05-02-2009, 04:07 AM
I Love Pitching, with this pitching and one more hitter we could be making the playoffs

Captain Hook
05-02-2009, 04:22 AM
I Love Pitching, with this pitching and one more hitter we could be making the playoffs

I can't get used to this.I feel like this team is no good because of the offense.When the Reds are winning in a game by a run or two I still have the feeling that we have to score at least 2 or 3 more runs to win the game.No matter what inning it is.This appears to not be true.

I'm trying to love it bit its hard.

improbus
05-02-2009, 08:35 AM
How about this:
We have four shutouts this season (and had 6 all of last season). All four of those shutouts have been started by a different pitcher (Owings is the only one who hasn't started a shutout).

bigredbunter
05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I can't get used to this.I feel like this team is no good because of the offense.When the Reds are winning in a game by a run or two I still have the feeling that we have to score at least 2 or 3 more runs to win the game.No matter what inning it is.This appears to not be true.

I'm trying to love it bit its hard.

No kidding--With the exception of 1 or 2 games, there haven't really been any high scoring affairs (vis a vis Reds teams during the last 10 years or so).

mroby85
05-02-2009, 09:35 AM
How about this:
We have four shutouts this season (and had 6 all of last season). All four of those shutouts have been started by a different pitcher (Owings is the only one who hasn't started a shutout).

perhaps that will come to an end tonight :D

UPRedsFan
05-02-2009, 10:53 AM
4th in the NL in team ERA
Tied for 1st in shutouts (4)
Only 3 teams have given up fewer hits

Now if only we could find a left fielder with a stick! Dickerson? Hairston? Nix?

Looking down the line up Phillips, Encarnacion, Gonzalez, Hairston are all below .300 in OBP. That has to turn around soon. Then look out!

Eric_the_Red
05-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm loving this brand of baseball. I know the casual fan would rather see a 10-8 slugfest (which are fun sometimes) but I'd rather watch two pitchers battle it out in a 2-1 game with great defense.

gedred69
05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Before ST even began, pitching was the hyped mantra for this teams success. So far, it is true. Dusty said before the season started, all trade discussions with the Reds revolved around everybody wanting some of the Reds pitching. We're seeing why.

UPRedsFan
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
4th in the league in team ERA (3.91)

Leading the league in shutouts

3rd lowest hits per game in the league

This is fun to watch!!!

Take note the Cardinals have a little better team ERA, but they have given up the 2nd most hits in the NL. The house of "cards" will crumble soon!

Captain Hook
05-03-2009, 07:43 PM
3 out of the last 4 games have been shutouts.

That amazing!!!

UPRedsFan
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Only allowed 11 runs in the last 6 games!

They are 3rd in runs allowed.

And now 1st in the NL in team ERA with 3.61 (my how things change!)

Cmon Brandon, Cmon Edwin, Cmon Dickerson, let's find our bats now!

lidspinner
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Only allowed 11 runs in the last 6 games!

They are 3rd in runs allowed.

And now 1st in the NL in team ERA with 3.61 (my how things change!)

Cmon Brandon, Cmon Edwin, Cmon Dickerson, let's find our bats now!

I agree....BUT, I would also like to see more small ball played....I want to see more steals and bunt sacs. Call me old fashioned but I love watching a small ball club....I prefer that over any offensive powerhouse any day. Pitching is where we need it, now lets get some bats awake and start playing little ball and take this pitching dominant divison down. In a pitchign dominant divison like the central(when is the last time that was said?), you need to be good at small ball to get that extra run or give that opposing pitchers fits when we are on teh base paths. Call me crazy.

ChatterRed
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Currently first in mlb in e.r.a........link: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2009&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

They have climbed out of the bottom for team hitting average to 13th in the NL at .245. I hope it continues.

RedLakerFan24
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Pitching beats hitting, yes i love our pitchers but Harang needs to get more run support, We need Holliday or Magglio Ordonez

GIDP
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree....BUT, I would also like to see more small ball played....I want to see more steals and bunt sacs. Call me old fashioned but I love watching a small ball club....I prefer that over any offensive powerhouse any day. Pitching is where we need it, now lets get some bats awake and start playing little ball and take this pitching dominant divison down. In a pitchign dominant divison like the central(when is the last time that was said?), you need to be good at small ball to get that extra run or give that opposing pitchers fits when we are on teh base paths. Call me crazy.

Small ball is great, as long as you arent trying to pass off your bad hitting club off as small ball just to make it sound better.

Depending on homers and going station to station isn't great but neither is being terrible at getting on base and having really low power.

We need a couple guys to get start hitting, mainly Phillips and Edwin once he comes back and we should be a lot better off but by then Votto will probably have cooled off a good amount. Reds are gonna need another bat if they want to stay above .500 this year.

Cant Touch This
05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
As great as it is now, it stands to get even better. The Reds are currently ranked #20 in number of Ks (17th in K/9) and have served up the 13th most walks. I'm not all that surprised by the walks, but with strikeout pitchers like Volquez, Cueto, and Harang, I expect that K ranking to increase. A higher K rate will also lower the BAA. Currently, the Reds are 4th in MLB with a .243 BAA.

Another stat to keep an eye on is HR allowed. That has been a problem in recent years, and right now, at 21 HRs allowed, the Reds are tied for 4th in MLB. And that's pitching in a stadium labeled a hitter's park. (That's another debate I'll debate at another time.)

I don't expect the Reds to toss four shutouts in every 6-game span, so I expect that 3.61 ERA to inflate a little bit. But keeping the team ERA under 4.00 this season has now become an expectation in my mind.

The bullpen has contributed immensely to these incredible stats. It should also be noted that the Reds are the only team in MLB this season to convert every save opportunity. (7 for 7.)

Finding enough offense to qualify for post-season play will be the obvious challenge this year. But if the Reds pull it off, I like their chances against ANYONE in a playoff series where they have to use only three or four starters.

GO REDS! (and Go Krogering.)

ChatterRed
05-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, after tonight's fiasco, I calculated the e.r.a. as dropping to about 4.03, which drop us to around 6th or 7th in the NL.

Nice.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, after tonight's fiasco, I calculated the e.r.a. as dropping to about 4.03, which drop us to around 6th or 7th in the NL.

Nice.

were still over .500 im over it.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-06-2009, 11:15 PM
6th or 7th is still darn good too, can't tell if you were being sarcastic with the "nice" or not..lol ;)

ChatterRed
05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
6th or 7th is still darn good too, can't tell if you were being sarcastic with the "nice" or not..lol ;)

We were 1st.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
I know that, im just saying 6th or 7th is still very good...

ChatterRed
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, I was off. We fell to 5th in the NL with an e.r.a. of 3.99.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=NL&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2009&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

The good news, our K's look good with those 2 K's Janish got in the 9th last night. ;>)

UPRedsFan
05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
More good news is that Phillips seems to be getting hot. Bruce too.

When Edwin gets back to his norm we'll be in business.

ChatterRed
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
More good news is that Phillips seems to be getting hot. Bruce too.

When Edwin gets back to his norm we'll be in business.

Yeah! World Series here we come!!! Woo-hoo!!!! :beerme: