PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: ManRam Suspended 50 Games for Positive Performance-Enhancing Drug Test

highheat11
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
This is what ESPN is reporting right now. This could be a huge hit to baseball and the Dodgers.

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
seriously?

highheat11
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah. It's all over SportsCenter right now.

highheat11
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
From ESPN.com

Report: Manny faces 50-game penalty
Major League Baseball is expected to announce Thursday that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended for 50 games, The Los Angeles Times is reporting.

Ramirez's suspension is expected to be announced Thursday, The Times said.

Triple-A outfielder Xavier Paul has been told by the Dodgers that he will be promoted later today, according to The Times.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

BlastFurnace
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
So who's left that has had big numbers that hasn't been busted yet: Griffey, Thomas, Thome...who else?

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Great news for my fantasy team as I have Juan Pierre!! :D

Jharb74
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Is this considered Manny being Manny?
BTW- I'd rather hear Grande say: "Get em on, get em over, get em in, " 100 times, than hear that Manny phrase again.

highheat11
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Manny's claiming he was taking medicine from his personal doctor for personal issues, and he was assured that these drugs weren't going to show up on the banned list. Either its an oversight or Manny's lying through this teeth. What do you believe?

TheBigLebowski
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow. Wooooow.

highheat11
05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Did I just hear that right?? Manny will lose $7.7 mil in salary during this suspension? HOLY COW. Not that I feel bad for him, but during a 50 game span he was gonna get paid more than some people's multi year deals are worth?

Jr's Boy
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Say it aint so Manny.:(

BuckeyeRed27
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I actually believe Manny's story, but if its on a drug on that list it is still his job to make sure it doesn't go in his body. I don't think Manny will be seeing that doctor again though.

GOYA
05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm curious as to which banned substance he was taking. Other than that, I really don't care. But the Dodgers are going to have some big money to pick up a contract should they choose to do that.

mroby85
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm just mad this ruined the Terrelle Pryor edition of sportscenter.

yab1112
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Manny tested positive and gets suspended 50 games so why isn't A-Rod suspended? Didn't he test positive also? :confused:

BuckeyeRed27
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Manny tested positive and gets suspended 50 games so why isn't A-Rod suspended? Didn't he test positive also? :confused:

Before the policy went in. He tested positive on the test run to see if they needed a drug policy or not.

jfleur87
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I am pretty sure that when A-Rod tested positive there was some clause that stated they would not be in trouble. The names were supposed to be kept confidential. I want to say it was a trial run to see if steroids were running rampant in MLB...like I said, I think this is the reason

Beaten to the punch, oops.

yab1112
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Before the policy went in. He tested positive on the test run to see if they needed a drug policy or not.

Ah, thanks BuckeyeRed.

So kind of him to help make their decision that much easier ;)

Cant Touch This
05-07-2009, 01:44 PM
This is not good news for "That Must Be The Tea," my fantasy team.

mroby85
05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
This is not good news for "That Must Be The Tea," my fantasy team.

My fantasy team is in terrible shape, i'm in 2nd place right now, but have Manny, Posada, Zambrano, and Josh Hamilton.

Trace's Daddy
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I wonder who the next big name player will be..I'm really not surprised by this happening anymore.

GIDP
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Manny was taking sex pills and got suspended haha. Way to go baseball.

highheat11
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM

When I first read this, I thought maybe you were joking or just poking fun at the situation. But then I saw on Yahoo! that this was actually the case. I'm not making fun of people who may have issues in that part of life, but this just opens Manny up to even more jokes and ridicule.

GIDP
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
That is only 1 report though. Its also reported to be a female fertility thing which balances out levels of test so someone can cycle back up.

bounty37h
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
This is what ESPN is reporting right now. This could be a huge hit to baseball and the Dodgers.

Dont let the locker room doors hit ya where the good Lord split ya...Best news I have heard this week.

DTCromer
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
It all went down hill after he sold his grill.

JohnCocktoasten
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Really? I think I just tested positive for LMAO.

TheBigLebowski
05-07-2009, 03:07 PM
My fantasy team is in terrible shape, i'm in 2nd place right now, but have Manny, Posada, Zambrano, and Josh Hamilton.

How the hell are you in second? Is it a two team league?

ChatterRed
05-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I actually believe Manny's story, but if its on a drug on that list it is still his job to make sure it doesn't go in his body. I don't think Manny will be seeing that doctor again though.

I believe him too. He's just a great hitter in my book.

WildcatFan
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Dont let the locker room doors hit ya where the good Lord split ya...Best news I have heard this week.

Why do you hate Manny so much?

GIDP
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Reds get Roider DArnell McDonald, Dodgers get roider Manny Ramirez.

lol

mroby85
05-07-2009, 04:06 PM
How the hell are you in second? Is it a two team league?

lol it's a 12 team league, but most of these guys were healthy until this week, so i'm sure the downfall is coming soon, lol. The best player I have left healthy is Youkilis, lol.

Jr's Boy
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Pujols and Manny are the best hitter's in the game.Not many players can be traded mid season to a struggling offensive team,put them on his shoulders and carry them into the playoffs.

bounty37h
05-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Why do you hate Manny so much?

Because Manny thinks he is bigger and better then the game, just dont like his attitude.

bounty37h
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Pujols and Manny are the best hitter's in the game.Not many players can be traded mid season to a struggling offensive team,put them on his shoulders and carry them into the playoffs.

players taking performance enhancing drugs can do a lot players that arent cant do. Thats kinda the point in cheating I think.

bgwilly31
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
imo whats with the 50 games thing>?

Why isnt the cheater at mininum out for the rest of the year! Why should he be able to come back for a playoff run.

I think there should be a 2 strike rule for this crap.

1 strike---Out for the rest of the season and left over games carried over into the next season.

2-strikes---Banned from baseball for life!

mlh1981
05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
This guy is obviously rich beyond belief, but he has lost so much money in recent memory. Turning down longterm contracts, not understanding this most recent free agent market, and now losing nearly 8 mil.

FlyerFanatic
05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
This guy is obviously rich beyond belief, but he has lost so much money in recent memory. Turning down longterm contracts, not understanding this most recent free agent market, and now losing nearly 8 mil.

he just cost himself more money for next off season as well....with the 1 yr deal...i dont see any team wanting to give him top dollar after this incident

Roush's socks
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
The people who believe his lame story are idiots. The drug he tested positive for is known PED used by athletes. You could tell by his body build that he was a juicer. So is Pujols. Don't forget that there in no test for HGH, and that is the drug of choice for most athletes today.

I am a cyclist and have followed the use of PED's in my sport for years. They have more testing in cycling than any other sport, with year round random surprise testing. Still, the opinion of most is that the many pros still use drugs that are un-detectable, or they have ways of "cleaning" their system before tests. The proof is this, if the riders of the late 90's were all on EPO, steroids, HGH and other drugs, and these drugs improve performance by 15-20%, how can the riders of today (who are tested and supposedly clean) race as fast, or faster, than the dirty riders? The average speed of the peloton would come down if they were clean, and it hasn't. That means somehow they are still using PED's that can't be tested. This is not just my opinion, it is a consensus among fans, athletes and journalists.
In the mis late 90's, around 1997-1999 you saw a wave of athletes in different sports coming onto the scene and SMASHING long held record and standards. Barry Bonds, lance armstrong, Marion Jones, Serena and Venus, Tiger Woods, mark McGwire and a host of 100 meter sprinters. Yes I did include Tiger. These athletes not only won in their respective sports, they dominated. they hit 70 HR's. they won 7 consecutive Tour De France. Women tennis players served 140MPH +, sometimes even faster than the men! There was 100 years of tennis and the women never served faster than the men. Ever noticed that women tennis players always have acne? Davenport, Serena, going back to Martina, who was juicing in the 70's.

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 05:59 AM
I had Manny on one of my fantasy teams, and just traded him and Swisher for Bruce and Chris Young (AZ). It's a keeper league, so I think I got the better end of the deal.

WildcatFan
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm still really surprised with this situation. My friend and I had a conversation not a week ago about steroids, and my comment was that of all the top players, I could say for certain that Griffey, Dunn and Manny weren't using. Griffey hasn't grown except at the waistline, Dunn is just a large Texas boy and Manny doesn't care enough about baseball.

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Take a look at photos of Manny in his early Cleveland day. He has seriously bulked up, and his baggy uniform is a great cover. It he is/was a steroid user, it wouldn't have surprised me.

krm1580
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Because Manny thinks he is bigger and better then the game, just dont like his attitude.

I agree with you. I hate Manny for the same reason I hate Terrell Owens and a host of other modern diva athletes that are cut from the same cloth.

They play team sports and their focus is #1. Themselves, #2 Themselves, #3 Themselves, #4 Their next big contract, #5 Winning, #6 Everything else.

They need to constantly be stroked and allowed to do whatever they want when they want. When they screw up its accepted and glossed over with cute little phrases like "Oh that's just Manny being Manny" When they finally go to far and the team HAS to do something to bring them in line, they turn into petulant pouting children and start asking to be traded or for a new contract.

I accept that these type guys are incredible players but their attitude makes me sick and while I am not proud to admit it, I feel really good when they finally crash and burn.

RedLakerFan24
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Maria Ramirez