PDA

View Full Version : Offense adjusted ERA

Caveman Techie
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok, so there has been alot of discussion about Owings and whether or not he should have the #5 spot or not. We've only ever really looked at his pitching to determine this but one of the things Owings gives the Reds is a very good bat. So to be fair in evaluating him I thought it would be worthwhile to account for offense in his pitching stats. I don't know if there is already a stat out there for like this but I didn't see one readily when I googled. So if we take all the runs that Owings is directly apart of Runs and RBI's and subtract that from his ER before calcuating the ERA so the formula looks like this:

(ER - (R + RBI)) / IP * 9

When doing this with owings his Offense Adjusted ERA is: 3.50

flash
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I used your formula for Janish and came up with a 0.00 ERA. What did I do wrong/

EddieMilner
05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I think what's missing is that only during pitching performances should be taken into account. If he pinch hits it shouldn't improve this metric. Do you agree?

mroby85
05-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I think what's missing is that only during pitching performances should be taken into account. If he pinch hits it shouldn't improve this metric. Do you agree?

I definitely agree.

Caveman Techie
05-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Yep, that's a way to adjust for the Janish factor. :)