PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs. Cardinals Thread (5/8-5/10)

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Coming in to the series...
Cardinals 19-10, .655, 1st in Central
Reds 15-13, .536, 4th in Central

Probables
Friday
Joel Pineiro, RHP (4-1, 3.24)
vs.
Johnny Cueto, RHP (2-1, 1.65)

Saturday
Kyle Lohse, RHP (3-1, 3.22)
vs.
Aaron Harang, RHP (2-3, 3.00) (Pitching on his 31st birthday!)

Sunday
Adam Wainwright, RHP (3-1, 4.08)
vs.
Edinson Volquez, RHP (4-2, 3.47)

Notes:
- Willy Taveras and Jay Bruce both have 8 game hitting streaks
- The Reds are 12-8 vs. the Central
- The Reds and Giants are the NL's only undefeated teams when leading after 5 innings (12-0)
- Opponents are hitting a combined .167 against Weathers and Rhodes (11-66)
- The Reds are 0-3-2 in five home series this season
- The Reds were 5-10 vs. the Cardinals in 2008, 4-5 at GABP
- Albert Pujols has 13 HR at GABP, 3rd most by a visitor (Berkman 20, Bay 14)
- Due to an event at Sawyer Point, the post-game fireworks cannot start before 10:00, regardless of what time the game ends

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Huge series here for the Reds. 2-1 would be great, a sweep would be a major statement.

Three very good pitching match-ups. If the Reds defense doesn't improve and the flu-bug hangs around, they could be in major trouble.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
If the Reds defense doesn't improve and the flu-bug hangs around, they could be in major trouble.

I don't think that can be emphasized enough. We need Votto desperately if we want to gain some major ground on the Redbirds. Phillips' glove would be great to have around, but his bat could hurt us if he's protecting Votto in the lineup.

PhillipsHead
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
We badly need 2 out of 3 if we want to be taken serious in the central at this point...

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
The lineup for Friday's game is out already. No Votto or Phillips again... Hopefully this is the only game of the series they're sitting. Here's to hoping they get healthy soon..

Taveras CF
Hairston 2B
Bruce RF
Hernandez 1B
Nix LF
Rosales 3B
Hanigan C
Janish SS
Cueto P

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Nix in the 5th spot. Hernandez's hot bat also provides some more protection for Bruce that BP hasn't really been able to provide early in the season.

OesterPoster
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I hope someone (Fay, Sheldon, McCoy) will ask Dusty why he's being short-armed with a 24 man roster. Gonzo can't play, Votto and Phillips are sick...why can't they make a decision to get another guy on the bench? It's ridiculous to have both of your catchers in the starting lineup, and yet have so few options on the bench. Either put Gonzo on the DL and at least bring Sutton or Castillo up to provide a warm body...or send someone with options, like Herrera, down for a game or two until you've got Gonzo/Votto/Phillips.

cbowen2112
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I think either Hopper or Gomes needs to be called up soon for McDonald. He is a waste of space.

We also need another IF so Castillo would be the best option being able to play anywhere he is asked.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I think either Hopper or Gomes needs to be called up soon for McDonald. He is a waste of space.

We also need another IF so Castillo would be the best option being able to play anywhere he is asked.

Gomes would be my choice if we're going to bring up an outfielder. He's turned it around after his early season struggles. I'd like to see what he can do with his bat in GABP.

cbowen2112
05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Gomes would be my choice if we're going to bring up an outfielder. He's turned it around after his early season struggles. I'd like to see what he can do with his bat in GABP.

Absolutely, he is also a great persona to have around in the clubhouse. Ask any Rays player...

Ghosts of 1990
05-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I have honestly not been this pumped about a series in several seasons. I am interested to see how our guys do battle tonight.

bgwilly31
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Those guys must really be bad to not be able to play in this series.

You know they've been waiting for this.

I dont like our chances tonight.

The stars aligned last night with this lineup.

Im not so sure again.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
we will take 2 of 3. We will also win tonight :)

texasdave
05-08-2009, 06:43 PM
With Cueto, Harang and Volquez going the Reds have to like their chances of taking 2 out of 3 no matter how anemic the offense. These three are the heart of HAVOC!!!

defender
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Has the weather cleared?

reds1869
05-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Has the weather cleared?

Still raining hard as I look out my window. In all honesty a rainout could be a good break for the Reds.

Ghosts of 1990
05-08-2009, 06:54 PM
even with this lineup tonight, if Cueto is on we have a chance

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Absolutely, he is also a great persona to have around in the clubhouse. Ask any Rays player...

Is this sarcasm or are you being serious? Sometimes its hard to tell when people are being sarcastic on here, so if that's the case, I apologize. Everything I've seen or read has indicated that Jonny was always a good teammate, but just lacked the ability or style of play that the Rays were looking for.

cbowen2112
05-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Is this sarcasm or are you being serious? Sometimes its hard to tell when people are being sarcastic on here, so if that's the case, I apologize. Everything I've seen or read has indicated that Jonny was always a good teammate, but just lacked the ability or style of play that the Rays were looking for.

No I would have laid the tongue in the cheek a little more. I am very serious. I live in Florida and every radio guy or T.V. guy loved his attitude for the game. He will stick up for his team no matter what. Bring him up!

Ghosts of 1990
05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
We don't need Gomes, he won't add much. But I would think of him to be an upgrade over Darnell Mcdonald. Mcdonald isn't a big league hitter, never will be.

Roush's socks
05-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Gomes has power and is a pure platoon type player.

WILD THING
05-09-2009, 12:59 AM
No I would have laid the tongue in the cheek a little more. I am very serious. I live in Florida and every radio guy or T.V. guy loved his attitude for the game. He will stick up for his team no matter what. Bring him up!

Ok, glad we're on the same page. :beerme: I was hoping you were being serious, but you never know. I really like Gomes' attitude and the way he goes about things like protecting his teammates and standing up for people (the whole Boston fiasco). I've seen him compared to the "bruiser" that you see on a lot of hockey teams. He may not be the best and most talented player on the team, but he's a key contributor and is essential to a team's chemistry.

WildcatFan
05-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I forgot how much fun watching base hit after base hit after base hit is. Sure beats walking then praying for a home run. Cueto was great yet again, and despite that strange move to pull Rhodes after one batter, I couldn't be happier with that big time series opener.

fugowitribe
05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
2 games to go to pull to 1/2 game back in the central, and we have our two aces on the hill......don't look now, but a sweep may get this team a lot of press.

bgwilly31
05-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I forgot how much fun watching base hit after base hit after base hit is. Sure beats walking then praying for a home run. Cueto was great yet again, and despite that strange move to pull Rhodes after one batter, I couldn't be happier with that big time series opener.

Dude i hear you. I was in the kitchen making som grub going crazy. The dogs were flipping out for the first time this year. :thumbup:

ChatterRed
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM

Yep, they won despite Dusty's micromanaging.

defender
05-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Dominant starting and early runs is a great 1-2 punch. Nice job by Tavaras and Hairston last night.

corwinator3407
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
2 games to go to pull to 1/2 game back in the central, and we have our two aces on the hill......don't look now, but a sweep may get this team a lot of press.

You mean Baseball Tonight might acually show highlights from a Reds game? ;)

In all seriousness, I can see that too.

WILD THING
05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Phillips is back in the lineup for tonight, but Votto is still a no-go. That's a shame. Not only is he a huge part of our success, but he can't even play on his own bobblehead night.

cbowen2112
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Phillips is back in the lineup for tonight, but Votto is still a no-go. That's a shame. Not only is he a huge part of our success, but he can't even play on his own bobblehead night.

I hope that he is available tomorrow for the finale, for Hernandez's sake.