PDA

View Full Version : argue with this lineup...

bgwilly31
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I love this lineup right now.

Taveras--cf
hairston--SS
Votto---1b
Bruce---RF
BP-----2b
Rosales--3B
Nixon----LF
Hanigan/hernandez---right now i think there back to equal. I would give hanigan Arroyo and harang--and hernandez owings, cueto, volquez.

For right now i wanna see this everyday.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I like that lineup as well, but I don't see Dusty having Votto & Bruce at 3 & 4. He's gonna keep BP at 4 just to "split the lefties" even though Phillips has proven to be counter-productive in that spot. Bruce protecting Votto seems to be our best option right now, but I feel like we won't get to see it on a regular basis.

TracyJonesFan
05-08-2009, 02:33 PM
First Argument is we need to pick up a LF named Nixon :p:

texasdave
05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Replace Hairston with Janish and you have a winner.

mroby85
05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I would bat Nix ahead of Rosales, and replace hairston with Janish as well.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

I could live with that. Dusty's already given one of his "dudes" the axe this week. I doubt he'll sit Hairston too, no matter how bad he's hitting. Hairston and Dickerson shouldn't be starting, and its nice that Dusty has finally seen this with Dickerson. How long do you think it'll take him to realize it with JHJ?

thorn
05-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Hairston and Dickerson shouldn't be starting, and its nice that Dusty has finally seen this with Dickerson. How long do you think it'll take him to realize it with JHJ?

Funny thing is, nearly everyone on this board went darn near ape crap this ST about Dickerson not getting the CF job then not letting him play everyday in LF. To me, the calling out of CD as incapable of being a starter now, is some serious back seat driving. (Not specifially referring to you Wild Thing).

PhillipsHead
05-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Based on the start of the year, here is your correct lineup:

Taveras
Hairston Jr.
Votto
Hernandez
Bruce
Phillips
Nix
Rosales
Pitcher

As hot a bat as Hernandez has had in the past few weeks, I think he's lining himself up for our cleanup spot. Despite the fact Phillips has 5 homers, batting him six takes a lot of the pressure off him, and he will hit better because of it.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Funny thing is, nearly everyone on this board went darn near ape crap this ST about Dickerson not getting the CF job then not letting him play everyday in LF. To me, the calling out of CD as incapable of being a starter now, is some serious back seat driving. (Not specifially referring to you Wild Thing).

Haha I wasn't on RedsZone during Spring Training, but I know what you're talking about. I wasn't ever really that big on Dickerson (there's a reason he was in the minors for so long) and figured he should be a 4th outfielder. Then again, that's when I was still naive enough to think we were going to get a big RH bat in LF.

swaisuc
05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Sounds good overall, but a couple of small things...

I think Nix and Rosales should be flipped. As it stands now, teams are a lock to bring in a lefty (assuming they have 1) from the bullpen to face Votto/Bruce at 3/4. If Nix was looming at 6th, I think they would leave him in for both Phillips and Nix. If you left Rosales above Nix, I think they would just take out the lefty after Bruce and take their chances with righty the whole rest of the lineup. You're essentially choosing whether its more important to get Phillips more ABs against LHPs or to get Nix more ABs against RHPs. That one is easy to me.

Also, I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I still think JHJ is a pretty big dropoff at shortstop defensively. I don't think I can get behind him playing there every day.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Also, I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I still think JHJ is a pretty big dropoff at shortstop defensively. I don't think I can get behind him playing there every day.

I'm right there with ya. I like Janish's glove and his bat has shown major improvements from last season thus far.

thorn
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM

I agree, JHJ at SS should only happen in emergencies. If Agon and Janish are available, they should be there period. IMO, it's the most important position on the field when it comes to defense and am willing to sacrifice a little offense to get it.

GOYA
05-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Ditto. Better bat, better glove. And he's a proven strikeout pitcher. ;)

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Not me: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74631

bgwilly31
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
i want janish to start playing everyday. That way you guys will realize hes not a hitter again.

Somehow just because hes strung together a few hits people seem to think janish is some kind of hitter now.

I want him in everyday than when he hits .205 with zero homers and limited extra base hits. We can get off that high horse.

I dont think janish gloves is worlds beyond hairstons. And as much as janish has been playing i havent seen him make any top 10 sportscenter plays over there at short. Like BP style.

However i have seen him make a game losing throwing error on a DB ball in extra innings.

GOYA
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Not me: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74631

Me either: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1753422&postcount=2

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
However i have seen him make a game losing throwing error on a DB ball in extra innings.

.....while jumping over a Hanley Ramirez slide that was 10ft to the right of the bag. If there was a legal slide on that play, he would have had both feet on the ground and more likely a better throw for DRH covering first.

fewfirstchoice
I love this lineup right now.

Taveras--cf
hairston--SS
Votto---1b
Bruce---RF
BP-----2b
Rosales--3B
Nixon----LF
Hanigan/hernandez---right now i think there back to equal. I would give hanigan Arroyo and harang--and hernandez owings, cueto, volquez.

For right now i wanna see this everyday.

1) Taveras - CF
2) Phillips - 2B
3) Votto - 1B
4) Bruce - RF
5) Hernandez - C
6) Nix - LF
7) Rosales - 3B
8) Hairston - SS (until Gonzo gets back then switch the 2)

That lineup looks good to me.

Ghosts of 1990
I love Bruce/Votto in 3 and 4...... either combination. I'd like to see what JB did with Votto protecting him.

fielder's choice
05-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Why would anyone want Hairston at SS over Janish?
Hairston is a nightmare at short and it's not like you need his bat in there.
Janish is the best defensive player on the team (besides maybe Phillips) and is OPS'ing900 so far. He obviously wont keep that up, but he has looked much better than Hairston. Hairston shouldn't be on a major league team, let alone starting at short.

texasdave
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
You asked us what lineup we wanted to see RIGHT NOW. And RIGHT NOW Paul Janish is fielding better and is hitting better than Jerry Hairston, Jr. I don't expect that to be the case the entire season. But I am a firm believer in going with the hot hand.

jfar23
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Janish is not a great hitter but he is hitting well now. JHJ is not a great hitter and he is not hitting well now. The fact that the position is SS makes their offense less important than defense anyways as far as I'm concerned. Janish vs JHJ at short is no contest.

But I would welcome JHJ in favor of Willy Taveras. In fact I would platoon JHJ/Dickerson in CF.

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 05:23 PM
But I would welcome JHJ in favor of Willy Taveras. In fact I would platoon JHJ/Dickerson in CF.

JHJ over Taveras? Dickerson over Taveras?!

:eek:

jfar23
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I just want the leadoff man to take pitches and get on base. For some disturbing numbers compare Taveras' obp to the .200 batting Dickerson :eek: