PDA

View Full Version : Darnell McDonald

RedsFanInBama
05-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Can anyone inform me as to why he is on our roster? I'm not sure what he brings to the table. Gomes is performing very well against lefties and IMO should have McDonald's roster spot so that he can platoon in left with Nix.

Also, is Dickerson locked in here? I would assume he has options. I don't think he needs to be sitting on the bench. Get him to Louisville where he can play until a situation arises where we need him. Maybe he goes down when Alex Gonzalez or EE comes back?

PhillipsHead
05-12-2009, 12:56 AM
When EE comes back and Gonzalez is healthy, he'll be going down, not Rosales...

RedsFanInBama
05-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Are you talking about McDonald or Dickerson?

PhillipsHead
05-12-2009, 01:01 AM
McDonald will be the first one sent down...

RedLakerFan24
05-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Bring Up Gomes

BurgervilleBuck
05-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Bring Up Gomes

I love these sort of thought-free sort of post. Last season, it was "Bring up Bruce". In 2007, it was "Bring up Homer". These are the same sort of posters that want Josh Hamilton back. Hee! I get a kick outta this.

Dickerson or McDonald will be going to AAA soon. My money is on Dickerson, if anything because I could see McDonald being released outright.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I really wished Taveras would have had a chance to get that 6th hit the other night but Dusty pust Darnell in... For a Defensive replacement...

I don't think Darnell will be here that much longer...

texasdave
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I have no problem with Darnell being sent down to AAA. He is an unpolished player with a ton of athletic ability. You know, just the type of player that should be playing every day to nurture that ability. He should not be on a 25-man roster watching Dusty do toothpick tricks and getting the odd look every third day or so.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I dont think he's that impressive of a prospect. He's not that young (30), has never displayed much power at any level. Doesn't really have any one great tool. Puzzling to me what they see him as helping.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, at 30 he is just keeping someone else from playing... Unless he is a AAA guy just in case...

xavr1
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
McDonald down. Gomes up. Just like it should have been opening day...

bounty37h
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Holy crap, it just hit me, Darnell was with the D-Rays before? I think I have watched him in Durham the last couple seasons, a bad sign if you have to ask if you have been watching the same player for a couple years and werent sure who he was.....

cbowen2112
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Gomes or Hopper need to be called up soon! If not both...

ian_madden
05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Although I like both Hopper and Gomes, Hopper for his ability to bunt/ advance runners and Gomes for his fiery attitude, I dont see either of those guys coming up anytime soon. I didn't like McDonald at 1st. His miscues in center on opening really got to me. Then he put the ball in play when no one else on the team was hitting the ball. He wasn't getting hits but he was hitting the ball. Now it appears that he isn't even doing that. I can't imagine the brass making a move right now. Its the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" train of thought.

ian_madden
05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Holy crap, it just hit me, Darnell was with the D-Rays before? I think I have watched him in Durham the last couple seasons, a bad sign if you have to ask if you have been watching the same player for a couple years and werent sure who he was.....

He did play for Durham that is pretty funny. Just another face in the crowd.

DTCromer
05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Are we really arguing over the 25th player on the roster?

corwinator3407
05-14-2009, 12:01 AM
After he struck out on Sunday in his PH without even fouling a ball off, that was my last straw with him. The sooner he is gone, the better. Rosales is staying IMO.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I have no problem with Darnell being sent down to AAA. He is an unpolished player with a ton of athletic ability. You know, just the type of player that should be playing every day to nurture that ability. He should not be on a 25-man roster watching Dusty do toothpick tricks and getting the odd look every third day or so.

I agree. Even Triple A teams need fodder players. Lets be honest, the guy probably isn't going to be a regular MLB in his life, and I'm glad he got to start the year and had some moments he'll probably remember a while. We seem to be an organization that gives guys like that chances more than about anyone else, so it was a nice story to see him get a few hits and something he'll look back on.

I have no problem with him staying in Triple A though. Not every player can be either a sent down major leaguer or a future prospect on a triple A roster. There is quite a few career minor league players on every team, like Kevin Barker for the Bats. They're necessary, so send him down, he can be an asset still.

bounty37h
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Great spot to be in IMO, to have to pick on the 25 guy, instead of the starters as we normally do around here, thats a sign this team is coming together!!!!

RedsFanInBama
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM

I'm not sure which posts you're referring to. But to me 25 players isn't that many. Every guy on the roster should bring something to the table and McDonald doesn't bring anything from what I can tell.

OesterPoster
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure which posts you're referring to. But to me 25 players isn't that many. Every guy on the roster should bring something to the table and McDonald doesn't bring anything from what I can tell.

Ah, but he does bring something to the table. He's the unofficial official RedsZone whipping boy...until he gets released. Then we get to choose someone else, like Edwin or Gonzo. :)

RedsFanInBama
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
My whipping boy changes by the game. Sometimes by the AB.