PDA

View Full Version : Rosales/Nix/Hairston vs. EE/Gonzo

NeilHamburger
05-12-2009, 01:43 AM
So, what happens in about a week when EE and Gonzo are both back? Who do you sit, who plays?

Honestly, until this team stops hitting I keep the current guys playing.

Chris Sabowned
05-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Laynce the Pants has to be an everyday player in this lineup at this point. Rosales is the hot topic right now on Sportscenter and PTI but long term he is probably just a utility/role player.

NeilHamburger
05-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I just know I'm dreading the day when EE and Gonzo fill out the lineup again with their low energy play.

BurgervilleBuck
05-12-2009, 02:36 AM
I think how Rosales is hitting and playing that he makes it harder for EE to break back into the lineup. If anything, the kid's spirit is needed in the clubhouse.

Gonzalez, defensively, is still an option but his bat is cold water. I'm not completely sold on Hairston still but I feel he's a better option (not looking at numbers here, just from what I've seen).

I think Nix has made players like McDonald and Dickerson irrelevant for now.

schmidty622
05-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Laynce the Pants has to be an everyday player in this lineup at this point. Rosales is the hot topic right now on Sportscenter and PTI but long term he is probably just a utility/role player.

Excuse me? It's Laynce the Paynce. Come on lets get this right.

Dude Rock
05-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I just know I'm dreading the day when EE and Gonzo fill out the lineup again with their low energy play.

All the more reason Dusty will put them in the lineup.

Doesn't matter what you've done. If it was your position to begin with, you get it back. That's how Dusty works.

flash
05-12-2009, 07:54 AM
All the more reason Dusty will put them in the lineup.

Doesn't matter what you've done. If it was your position to begin with, you get it back. That's how Dusty works.

I'm not so sure. If the kid keeps playing hard EE will have to earn his slot back. Besides, Rosales is becoming a fan favorite with his enthusiasm. (Fans buy the tickets. Dusty knows that.)

schmidty622
05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I say you cut all ties with Gonzo. What does he add to the team that a young guy like Janish doesn't? I even think Janish has the better bat right now.

Release Gonzo, free up the roster spot, bring up Gomes to be the real platoon partner with Nix.

Although you could probably do that now by dropping McD.

Hey Meat
05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Keep EE on the DL as long as possible. Put Gonzo on it and leave him there.

Dude Rock
05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I say you cut all ties with Gonzo. What does he add to the team that a young guy like Janish doesn't? I even think Janish has the better bat right now.

Release Gonzo, free up the roster spot, bring up Gomes to be the real platoon partner with Nix.

Although you could probably do that now by dropping McD.

I disagree. I keep both on the DL as long as possible and keep them in triple AAA on rehab assignments. Is there a limit on how long a player can rehab and play in minor league games?

I disagree about Janish bat. I'd rather have a healthy AGon at SS over Janish. Janish seems overmatched at times.

xavr1
05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I think EE will jump back into the 3rd spot as soon as he's eligible, and I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand, Rosales downright scares me at 3rd. Seems like he makes every play close. Nothing is routine. EE has the ability to make some great plays at 3rd. Of course, we all know he is prone to errors, too. From what I have seen though, I dont think Rosales is any better playing the position.

As for hitting, Rosales is fun to watch. And I would like to play the hot hand with him until he slows down. But I think he WILL slow down. At that point, I really hope Dusty doesnt write him off. I thought I would be saying EE gives us a distinct power advantage, and maybe he does, but with 2 homers in the last two games, Rosales has shown his stripes too.

As I wrote this post, I realized I would prefer Rosales. His energy and hard work earned him the chance to stay there.

Captain Hook
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
When EE comes back someone is going to have to go.My guess is that it will be Rosales.I would prefer Dickerson or McD but I think the team will avoid the controversy the best they can by sending Adam down.Besides we have Janish and Hairston that can play infield and they wouldn't be sent down imo.

Gonzo will play every day when he is ready.I hope he proves that he deserves to because thats just the way its going to be.

I really like Nix and see no reason he should ever sit unless we bring Gomes up to face the lefties.By the way I think this should be done even though Nix seems to play great defense and I'm not sure about Gomes.Gomes kills lefties and the platoon would produce great results at the plate.

bgwilly31
05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I was getting ready to start the same thread.

When this day comes im going to be FIRED UP. If they make any dumb moves.

This team is winning right now.

A.Gonzo and E>E have not been a part of that.

E.E-----
Everything about him is streaky. His bat and his D go through HUGE SLUMPS.

And then the worst part even when he is streaking he's still average.

GONZO

Never liked the guy, probably never will. He hasnt shown me anything.
His bat is worthless right now and his D isnt any better than janish so why is he on the team making a lot of money again>?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now ive said it before and i'll say it again. When hairston is in this lineup he makes THE difference.

Whatever dusty does he needs to find a way to keep him in there. And imo that means leaving Gonzo and EE riding the pine or off the team.

Captain Hook
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I was getting ready to start the same thread.

When this day comes im going to be FIRED UP. If they make any dumb moves.

This team is winning right now.

A.Gonzo and E>E have not been a part of that.

E.E-----
Everything about him is streaky. His bat and his D go through HUGE SLUMPS.

And then the worst part even when he is streaking he's still average.

Never liked the guy, probably never will. He hasnt shown me anything.
His bat is worthless right now and his D isnt any better than janish so why is he on the team making a lot of money again>?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now ive said it before and i'll say it again. When hairston is in this lineup he makes THE difference.

Whatever dusty does he needs to find a way to keep him in there. And imo that means leaving Gonzo and EE riding the pine or off the team.

I think the day is coming.

bgwilly31
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I think the day is coming.

Yeah i think it is too.

Which is why im so dissapointed already. Why change out a spark plug when all your cylinders are firing!

GOYA
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, with Valaika on the DL in Louisville, AGon would be perfect for a nice long rehab assignment. He might even be able to hit AAA pitching.

jfar23
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I do dread when A Gon comes back. Having to watch him bat is just depressing. If I want defense out there I'd rather play Janish.

Getting EE back is not bad. Unless they actually send down Rosales but I just don't see it. I look for McDonald to be gone when EE finally gets back.

bgwilly31
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
rosales>> Edwin.

His power is coming around and doesnt strike out like EE is proned to do so much.

xavr1
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
rosales>> Edwin.

His power is coming around and doesnt strike out like EE is proned to do so much.

Do you think Rosales is an upgrade defensively too?

PhillipsHead
05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Let's just assume that Gonzalez and EE are back in the lineup. This is was it should look like:

Vs. RHP:

Taveras
Phillips
Votto
Hernandez
Bruce
EE
Nix
Gonzalez
Pitcher

Vs. LHP

Taveras
Hairston Jr.
Votto
Hernandez
Bruce
Phillips
EE
Gonzalez
Pitcher

I keep saying it over and over, since Dusty is too sacred to hit back to back lefties, Hernandez needs to hit cleanup.

NeilHamburger
05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
And so it begins...

Alex Gonzalez declared himself fit to play.

“I’m ready, man,” he said. “I’m good. I’m ready to play.”

But as is Dusty Baker’s policy, Gonzalez was not in the lineup.

“I’m big on when a players says he’s ready giving a few more days,” Baker said. “We have the off day (Thursday). I know he’s champing at the bit. He says he feels great. I’ll give another few days to practice and get his stroke.”

Monday was the first time Gonzalez took batting practice since straining his left oblique.

He’d clearly like to be in lineup tonight.

“Nobody likes to sit out,” Gonzalez said.

The other factor is Jerry Hairston Jr., who started at shortstop Tuesday, went into the game with on a seven-game hitting streak in which he was hitting .414 with six RBI and 10 runs scored.

“You knew Hairston was going to do well,” Baker said. “Nobody is Alex at shortstop. But again, this is an example of having interchangeable parts. It comes into play almost everyday.”

Gonzalez was available.

“If it’s a double switch or something,” Baker said. “But I’ve got to give him plenty of time to get loose. I’ve got to see him myself in practice.”

ON ROSALES: Adam Rosales has struggled at third base. He’s only been charged with one error, but he’s bobbled three double play balls.

“When we went him down in spring, it was one thing we tried to get across to him is slow the game down defensively,” Baker said. “It’s easier said than done. It’s something he’s going to have to do – relax a little and slow the ball down.

“Last night, after he had one or two plays, it gets in your head bad. That’s one thing we didn’t want to happen.”

Rosales was drafted at shortstop. He’s played all four infield positions. His strong arm has kept him from getting errors.

“I’ve got to trust my hands,” he said.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Personally I would be happy if we dropped Encarnacion and Gonzalez in a trade for something. Hairston has been doing fine at short, and I thought EE should have been moved to left in the offseason.

bgwilly31
05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Do you think Rosales is an upgrade defensively too?

I think that part is neutral.

Especially when rosales gets used to the position a little longer in time.

BTW to all who say Hairston is terrible at SS>

Ive yet to see him make a terrible play this year.

Did any of you catch the top 10 type diving play at SS last night that saved a Run.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I would just as soon see Hariston as the everyday ShortStop... His offense and baserunning > than Gonzalez Bat and Defense...

I don't mind having Gonzalez on the Bench, kind of a Steep Price for a Defensive/Bench bat, but hey... I don't want to hear the, he is making too much Money not to Play... Production over Payroll is what I say...

Old NDN
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Hairston has earned the right to be in the mix somewhere, so far. I'm not sold on his arm at SS but he has made some athletic plays. When he's in there it just seems he makes things happen. The Reds definitely miss that with EE and Gonzo.

Eric_the_Red
05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't think Hairston holds up playing every day. He needs to sit once or twice a week, IMO.

bgwilly31
05-13-2009, 11:58 PM
who cares if he holds up. You play him because hes a great hitter and makes things happen.

If the unfortunate injury comes up you have janish and gonzo on the bench.

Once again. Hairston tearing it up tonight.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-14-2009, 01:22 AM
I agree, Hairston is just that guy who goes out and gets it done. Not a flashy player, but just solid, and could be in the lineup for a LOT of teams.

Gonzalez is just Juan Castro on roids I'm convinced of now. He's just a little better, and thats it, and thats all he's shown. I see no reason for him to play. And I'm souring on Encarnacion too, I think he should be given one of those intentionally extended rehab assignments. I think he is what he is at this point, you're going to have to take the negative with the positive.

Eric_the_Red
05-14-2009, 06:06 AM
who cares if he holds up. You play him because hes a great hitter and makes things happen.

So you don't care if a great hitter that makes things happen is on the DL? Interesting.

Personally, I would try to keep him rested so he can make things happen throughout the season.

bgwilly31
05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Rosales goes to the bench tonight

Zimmers
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Rosales being off the lineup is depressing. I knew it would have to happen because of Hairston and Nix tho. I have never liked Gonzo and this makes it even worse. :(

Roush's socks
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
well, one way to look at is -- AGon or Hairston will probably get hurt again before too long. So it's good to have both of them available.

3b will go back to EE when and if he is 100%. I still think a healthy EE is a better hitter than Rosales. But if Encarnacion continues to stink it up the pressure will mount to replace him. Am I wrong in thinking this is EE's last year under contract? If so, you would think he'd be motivated to salvage this season and get a good contract offer.

bgwilly31
05-16-2009, 10:09 AM
3b will go back to EE when and if he is 100%. I still think a healthy EE is a better hitter than Rosales. .

I disagree.

Rosales is young and up and coming. He was improving everyday out there.

You havent even seen the tip of rosales imo.

bgwilly31
05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
oh and bTW Gonzo stinks it up his first game back.

Dont give me the he had two rbi's. He hit a pop up that was lost in the lights and some how they gave him a hit. The ball even hit in the guys glove.

GONZO back and guess what,....are streaking reds lose the game.

Surprise surprise.

Hondo
05-16-2009, 11:16 AM
oh and bTW Gonzo stinks it up his first game back.

Dont give me the he had two rbi's. He hit a pop up that was lost in the lights and some how they gave him a hit. The ball even hit in the guys glove.

GONZO back and guess what,....are streaking reds lose the game.

Surprise surprise.

Well, on one hand, they can't win em all... But on the other hand... Their record with Gonzalez is not at all good. This seems to me more than a coincidence...

I enjoyed seing Rosales in the Lineup... He is an Exciting guy to watch out there to see if he can produce... Gonzalez is just like a 3 year contract mistake.

bgwilly31
05-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Im disliking gonzo more and more each time i watch him play.

I think the same thing is going to happen with me and EE.