PDA

View Full Version : magglio could be released

Redus
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
the tigers are thinking about releasing ordonez in a cost cutting move ala sheffield per rotoworld .....thoughts about mags in left for the reds anyone?

Hondo
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
We already have a RF... But if he would play Left Field for 390,000, helk yeah!

GIDP
05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
The reds would be stupid to not try to get him if the Tigers did release him.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, Gary Sheffield is hitting Like .191 now so maybe it was good we didn't end up getting him...

xavr1
05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Magglio would hit more than .191. I would like to explore the idea if he can play LF.

OesterPoster
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately, I think he's a shell of his former self. His numbers have been going down, down as his age goes up, up.

I think Walt holds tight while the wins keep coming. There will be some serious bargains closer to the trade deadline, and I suspect he'll hold off as long as possible.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Maggs numbers are down because of his ground ball percentage has went up. I think its just a bit of bad hitting more than him really losing it just yet.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Magglio would hit more than .191. I would like to explore the idea if he can play LF.

For league minimum, I absolutely would take a chance too.

However, some concerns I have beyond the obvious .638 OPS he has right now...

1. His K% is up almost six percent (17) from last season (11)
2. He's hitting a ton more ground balls than fly balls
3. His line drive percentage is also down

To me, these indicates declining bat speed. I would take the chance because of the low financial risk. However, I'm not sure he'll be able to recover to his career norms.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I wouldnt put in too much into K numbers right now just because of the sample size though, but I agree that its likely his bat speed is losing it.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I wouldnt put in too much into K numbers right now just because of the sample size though, but I agree that its likely his bat speed is losing it.

That's true. If in another month we're still having this discussion, and his K% continues to hover around this level, perhaps it will be a better indicator.

I do still think for league minimum, the Reds would have to jump at the opportunity to sign him. He's the kind of flier Jocketty might want to take a chance on for a middle-of-the-order right-handed bat.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
That's true. If in another month we're still having this discussion, and his K% continues to hover around this level, perhaps it will be a better indicator.

I do still think for league minimum, the Reds would have to jump at the opportunity to sign him. He's the kind of flier Jocketty might want to take a chance on for a middle-of-the-order right-handed bat.

Yea no doubt.

Another thing to take into account is BABIP is pretty low compared to last years and his career.

That probably has a lot to do with him hitting ground balls though.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Yea no doubt.

Another thing to take into account is BABIP is pretty low compared to last years and his career.

That probably has a lot to do with him hitting ground balls though.

Yea I saw that. .270 is a little low for him, but as you said, his LD% and GB% probably explains away the difference, most likely eliminating any lingering 'bad luck' effect.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Hmm

Hes not swinging and missing much more this year either hmm. Hes still hitting 84% of the pitches he swings at which is higher than his career numbers also.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Yea im probably going to lean towards that he doesnt trust his bat right now. He could be losing his bat speed or just not judging the strike zone that well. Will be interesting to see how his stats go the next month or so.

Dude Rock
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I think you have to sign him if you can. In 2007, he was MVP of the AL, wasn't he? Dude's a career .311 hitter with 270 HR's in 12 previous seasons.

davereds24
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
he's certainly a better option than mcdonald

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I think this would be a no-brainer. Yeah he's 35 but his bat showed no signs of slowing down last year and he was pretty close to his career averages. For the financial risk involved it would be an outstanding pick up and an ideal bat to place 4th between Votto and Bruce.

Dude Rock
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
the tigers are thinking about releasing ordonez in a cost cutting move ala sheffield per rotoworld .....thoughts about mags in left for the reds anyone?

Where did you read this? Link?

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Also, this kind of signing, if it were to work out, would prevent us from possibly "selling the farm" at the deadline to get a bat for the middle of the order.

If Magglio hits the market, I would be ALL over it.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Where did you read this? Link?

Here is an article from the Detroit Free Press that was sourced by MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090513/COL22/905130372/1048/SPORTS/Magglio+Ordo%C3%B1ez+s+early+numbers+are+alarming

I don't see anything but conjecture by the writer that he might be released, but the reasons make plenty of sense as to why the Tigers might consider doing so.

davereds24
05-13-2009, 04:43 PM
this isn't going to happen, the tigers are in first place. they will bench him just enough so that his option for next year isn't guaranteed.

Dude Rock
05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Here is an article from the Detroit Free Press that was sourced by MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090513/COL22/905130372/1048/SPORTS/Magglio+Ordo%C3%B1ez+s+early+numbers+are+alarming

I don't see anything but conjecture by the writer that he might be released, but the reasons make plenty of sense as to why the Tigers might consider doing so.

I agree with the article. The financial landscape has changed, and if Detroit can buyout his contract for $3 million vs. paying hims $30 million over the next 2 years........I think it's a no-brainer.

Also, if they cut him, Ordonez will need to "revive" his career and prove himself again. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get into shape in the offseason and have a great year next season.

ian_madden
05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Signing an older outfielder to a short term deal does not go with our current trend with the team. We are a young, fast, defensive minded team. We are faceless team, one that only cares about winning. One that does not need that big name in the middle of the order. I don't want a guy... right now in this part of the season, that is that old. we have enough young talent that we need to decide who is playing, who is out, who we can possibly trade, ie. Hamilton for Volquez. Remember folks, this was not supposed to be our year, everything we do this year just means that Christmas has come early.

GOYA
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
A 35 year old, slow, singles hitter, batting .241 with an OPS of .635 with poor defense?

I think we could do better than that and if we are seriously on a run for post-season play, we NEED to do better than that.

Not to mention, Dusty might bat him 3rd out of respect.

DTCromer
05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Hint: The Tigers aren't releasing him because of money. If they were, they wouldn't do it this early in the season.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Hint: The Tigers aren't releasing him because of money. If they were, they wouldn't do it this early in the season.

Actually thats exactly why they would be releasing him. They dont want to make his 2010 option vest so they would release him.

NastyBoy
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
He needs 330 more plate appearances before the $18 million option kicks in for 2010. That would put it at about the end of July before they would have to get serious about making a decision. By that time he could be earning his money and Detroit could be in first place which make the decision even more difficult.

Dude Rock
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Detroit ownership/management probably paid the guy to write the article to motivate Ordonez. ;>)

I disagree about signing an older player. I think a 1 or 2 year contract is sufficient and allows a team to determine if their farm system is going to provide a replacement for that position down the road. Such as now............management needs to promote Heisey to Louisville and see if he continues to hit over .300 with a good OBP and Slugging percentage.

DTCromer
05-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Actually thats exactly why they would be releasing him. They dont want to make his 2010 option vest so they would release him.

If the guy was worth anything close to his value and he would help them win a World Series, I don't see why they would release him.

"We're in first place, we could win the AL and possibly the world series, but we need to release Maggs even though we still think he's good."

The guy is washed up and isn't very good. He's not pulling his weight and deserves to be traded/released. Actually, that's something we should've done with Griffey around 2005 or '06.

DTCromer
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
He needs 330 more plate appearances before the $18 million option kicks in for 2010. That would put it at about the end of July before they would have to get serious about making a decision. By that time he could be earning his money and Detroit could be in first place which make the decision even more difficult.

A decision by the end of July? How convenient.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-14-2009, 01:36 AM
If we did get him after a release, wouldn't we be on the hook for the option too though?

BEETTLEBUG
05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
I think I read that the Tigers are on hook for the opion.

schmidty622
05-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I think I read that the Tigers are on hook for the opion.

I think that's right. They are the hook for like 18 million but can avoid paying an additional 14 million if they release him before a certian amount of ABs.

I could be wrong though.

Dude Rock
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
The way I understand it is that the contract is with the Tigers...........and if he doesn't reach a certain amount of AB's with the Tigers this year, they have the option of buying out the two remaining years of his contract for $3 million. More than likely, they release him and buy out his contract. The team that picks him up off waivers will not be on the hook for his contract and will only be responsible to pay him the league minimum.

Might not be a bad situation because Ordonez will essentially be a free agent after the season and playing for a new contract...............highly motivated to impress.