PDA

View Full Version : We're still just not a very good team

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2009, 04:40 PM
We don't really hit much.... we have a ton of guys who aren't really destined to stick around the game of baseball beyond this year. We're about to get swept by the Padres, who on paper are one of the worst teams in all of baseball.

I got sucked in a little bit, I admit. But this team being really anything but average was a mirage.

foxfire123
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
You can't blame this San Diego fiasco entirely on the team.

The umpiring has SUCKED in this series.

FlyerFanatic
05-17-2009, 05:01 PM

i'm not gonna blame 3 losses on umpiring. last nights 8th inning screwed us..but even then we went 6 extra innings to have a chance to still win it. the umpiring might have sucked..but gotta adjust. its those 1 inning deals like the 8th last night where it screws with the players. weathers had struck out a batter twice on pitches that were called balls

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I guess its time for harsh truths.

Our lineup is one of the worst in all of major league baseball. Jay Bruce is not really any good yet, and there depending on him a lot. Joey Votto has been hot, but also been hurt and he's no more then a glorified Sean Casey with a better body. Some of you may not like that but it is true. He should never be meant to be focused on as the 1 major hitter in a lineup. He's not that type of superstar. The rest of the lineup is junk, and that includes Brandon Phillips who is hot and cold. Decent when he wants to show up.

mroby85
05-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Our lineup is one of the worst in all of major league baseball. Jay Bruce is not really any good yet, and there depending on him a lot. Joey Votto has been hot, but also been hurt and he's no more then a glorified Sean Casey with a better body. Some of you may not like that but it is true. He should never be meant to be focused on as the 1 major hitter in a lineup. He's not that type of superstar. The rest of the lineup is junk, and that includes Brandon Phillips who is hot and cold. Decent when he wants to show up.

Sean Casey couldn't hold Joey Votto's jock. No offense, Casey is a great guy, but Votto is 10 times the player. he's fine as the main hitter, I think the other guys are where the problem lies. However, they should've won 2 of these games, and are in this one against Peavy, while thats not all a good thing, I wouldn't get all worked up about it yet. It's a long season, and they've still played really good ball overall.

DTCromer
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Gotta love the posts when we win and when we lose. The sky is falling with everyone right now and last week, we were World Series contenders.

Look, this team obviously has some holes on it, but IMO AZ and SD are just as bad as each other. We smoked AZ and we lost 3 close games to SD. This team will be like this all year long. We'll win some games against teams we have no business winning and we'll have games like this weekend. This team is around a .500 team and our pitching will always be there.

Just be patient. We're not "not a very good team," but we are certainly a team that will piss everyone off from time-to-time. This happens to be one of those times.

Mutaman
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Gotta love the posts when we win and when we lose. The sky is falling with everyone right now and last week, we were World Series contenders.

Joe Torre says: "Don't get too high when you win, and don't get too low when you lose". One or two hits here or there, or one or two different calls by the ump and we would have won 2 out of three, without Joey. No reason to panic.

And I agree, I like Sean Casey, but he is no Votto, not even close.

Dude Rock
05-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Dude,

I'm not picking on you specifically, but this is the perfect example of getting too high and too low.

You can't win'em all. And there will be winning streaks and losing streaks for any team.

Would you rather be a Marlins or Mariners fan right now? Their teams got off to hot starts and are below .500 now.

They played awesome in Arizona and they disappeared in San Diego, yet could have won the previous 2 games had a few things gone right.

Tomorrow is another day. :thumbup:

sabometrics
05-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, it's true. We're not "very good." But for now I'll settle for what we are: above average with a chance of contending. Because that's a hell of a lot better than we have been for the last 8 years.

Next year I won't be content to be a "just above average" team though.

cbowen2112
05-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Dude,

I'm not picking on you specifically, but this is the perfect example of getting too high and too low.

You can't win'em all. And there will be winning streaks and losing streaks for any team.

Would you rather be a Marlins or Mariners fan right now? Their teams got off to hot starts and are below .500 now.

They played awesome in Arizona and they disappeared in San Diego, yet could have won the previous 2 games had a few things gone right.

Tomorrow is another day. :thumbup:

Thank you. Someone needed to say basically everything you just said. This game has it's ups and downs. Remember how bad the Red Sox were this year at the beginning? No boom, back to themselves. Not saying we are in the same category, but people need to chill out. Great Post.

BurgervilleBuck
05-17-2009, 09:11 PM
You know, JayBruce, the Reds blog at the Enquirer is always on the look out for inspirational posters such as yourself.

Maldez
05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Gotta love the posts when we win and when we lose. The sky is falling with everyone right now and last week, we were World Series contenders. ...

Ain't it the truth. Sports fans generally can't see beyond the last game played.

BluegrassRedleg
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM

They scored 1 RUN against the horrible San Diego pitching staff over about 19 innings. How is that the umpires' fault???

This team has only 2-3 legitimate everyday players who can hit. THAT is the issue.

improbus
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
What we learned about the Reds:
When Votto plays, we are good. When Votto doesn't play, we are not good. Pretty simple.

Dude Rock
05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
What we learned about the Reds:
When Votto plays, we are good. When Votto doesn't play, we are not good. Pretty simple.

I bet the Cardinals and Arizona don't feel that way. :rolleyes:

I think Tavares and Hairston were like 14 for 27 against 'Zona. If the hitting is so bad, how did this team go from last in all of mlb to like 6th in batting average in the NL recently?

Ups and downs. Ups and downs.

ian_madden
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I bet the Cardinals and Arizona don't feel that way. :rolleyes:

I think Tavares and Hairston were like 14 for 27 against 'Zona. If the hitting is so bad, how did this team go from last in all of mlb to like 6th in batting average in the NL recently?

Ups and downs. Ups and downs.

I agree ups and downs. What I feel happened was everyone felt that this "hot team," was better than there really are. I posted in an earlier post, I would love a 2 and 4 trip. I'm not made about a 3 and 3 trip. We went west, when our competition did not, lets see when they go west. Don't get too down on this team, they are still young, it is still early.

Dude Rock
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Team pitching is still 3rd in the NL.
Team batting average fell to 13th in the NL when it was up to 6th last week.

Everyone knows this team has some concerns right now with Votto's unknown illness and Bruce struggling big time.

My opinion is this team started out hot in May, got jacked up to play the Cards well, and nearly swept them, the adrenaline carried over to Arizona, and they hit a wall in San Diego..........along with the realization that something might be wrong with Joey. I'm sure Rosales isn't feeling too good after seeing AGon come back and promptly be put back in the lineup........which tells him EE will be immediately back in the lineup once he returns. The hitting was starting to come around and Dusty screwed with it. LOL.

If we struggle all this week, then I will be concerned.

fugowitribe
05-18-2009, 12:33 PM
The team is young.....who is to say when a team with a ten year drought is good? Do they have to contend, make the playoffs, or win the World Series? How can you say their not good.....they pitch 3rd in the NL, 20-17 record, 6th in BA in the NL. If we played the rest of the season like we have up to this point, we will win between 86 and 90 games. In the eyes of a Reds fan that is pretty good, but to say that this team is not very good is unfair. What more do you want? We probably won't win the series this year, don't expect us to play like it.

Hondo
05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, this team needs a Right Handed Power Hitter for the Middle of the Lineup that makes it hard on opposing Pitchers...

Jefferson24
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I like to think of the Reds as an average team who just finished playing a below average series in San Diego. The key for them will be to bounce back.