Hanigan C
Janish SS
Owings P

bucksfan2
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Damn no McDonald!

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Phils have taken 1-0 lead in the first and still batting.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Phils lead 1-0 after one. Bruce misplayed a flyball into a double after a Rollins single. Rollins scored on a ground out. Owings did well to get out of the jam but threw a bunch of pitches.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey progress, no one in the starting lineup is batting under .200.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Taveras and Rosales hack away into quick outs against a pitcher who struggles with his control.
Bruce shows them how to work a count. He goes full and then singles.
Phillips doesn't take notes and bounces back to the mound for the final out.
1-0 Phils after one.

TRF
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Hanigan picks off Dobbs!

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Phillips has a nice hustle play.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Hanigan picks off Dobbs!

Ronnie Dobbs caught stealing.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
8 pitch walk to Blanton

Screwball
Owings is struggling with his control in the early going after that relief appearance.

Falls City Beer
I'd wager the OB against of the opposing teams' pitchers is ridiculous.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Owings is struggling with his control in the early going after that relief appearance.

Yeah, he never had control problems before that or anything...

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I think HAnigan is the best catcher the Reds have at the moment.

TRF
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Ronnie Dobbs caught stealing.

was going by sportsline.

either way, I'm happy with it.

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Owings just doesn't have all the great of stuff on any day.

CTA513
Rollins with a single

2 on with 2 outs for Utley.

Owings already closing in on 50 pitches

Screwball
Yeah, he never had control problems before that or anything...

It might've looked like it, but I wasn't blaming his control problems on the relief appearance. Was just sayin' is all.

Falls City Beer
was going by sportsline.

No you're right. It was a play Dobbs' name.

TRF
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

yeah, we jinxed him.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Owings just doesn't have all the great of stuff on any day.

No he doesn't. But I'd like to think he could retire the pitcher.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
was going by sportsline.

You were correct. Dobbs was picked off at 1st by Hanigan on a set play .

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what Hanigan thought he was doing on the error throw to second.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

He's solid. But Hernandez has been good, too. Position is completely solidified.

In fact, Hernandez has been a tremendous asset to the team in several ways already. Very impressed with his all-around play.

TRF
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
guess Owings did need the extra day.

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Phillips made a great effort on Utley. Game of inches....

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Reds are in a big hole early: 4-0 Phils and they're still threatening.

TRF
oh good god. he's not gonna make it through three today.

Falls City Beer
Reds pitching right now is heading towards a major correction: Arroyo's not improving, the chinks are showing in Owings, Volquez is banged up, the bullpen can't stay hot for an eternity.

Kc61

Or maybe he should stick to pitching to the Padres.

Can't walk the pitcher, Micah.

jojo
Of course the walk to Blanton set it all up...

CTA513
4-0 Phillies

2 rbi single by Utley
rbi double by Ibanez

Owings now at 55 pitches and still trying to get the 3rd out in the 2nd inning.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
With Ramirez set to go on Sat (most likely), who's the long man if needed today?

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Can't walk the pitcher, Micah.

Linchpin moment of the game, obvs.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Owings already closing in on 50 pitches

Watch Dusty throw Ramirez in long relief.

With Ramirez apparently in the rotation, the bullpen is now short an arm until Volquez comes back or is disabled. Looks like they'll get their fair share of innings today.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
MLB audio won't stay on for me today. It seems like that may be a good thing. Marty rightly said there's a big difference in pitching against the Padres and D'Backs as opposed to the Phillies. Make one mistake and you will pay for it. Walking the pitcher is about a big a mistake you can make.

Kc61
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Watch Dusty throw Ramirez in long relief.

With Ramirez apparently in the rotation, the bullpen is now short an arm until Volquez comes back or is disabled. Looks like they'll get their fair share of innings today.

It could mean Reds will bring up Bailey or Maloney to start on Saturday. Maybe Lincoln needs some DL time, a long toss program or something.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Let's keep in mind that pitching at noon today means Owings did not get the usual 4 days' rest. He pitched late Saturday night in San Diego, coming off the mound at about 1AM, Cincinnati time, Sunday morning. Turning him around for noon on Thursday is technically a 3 and half days' rest. So, he's going on short rest for two straight starts. It's mismanagement of the staff, pure and simple.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
It's much more that Owings isn't very good vs. mismanagment.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Blanton's showing Owings how it's done. Strikes out two and gets 'em 1-2-3 in the 2nd.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Blanton, the pitcher with a 6.86 ERA, sets the Reds down in order. 4-0 Phils after two.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Two pitchers, two stories: one throwing strikes putting up zeros; one who can't find the zone, down by 4. This game is simple.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Reds pitching right now is heading towards a major correction: Arroyo's not improving, the chinks are showing in Owings, Volquez is banged up, the bullpen can't stay hot for an eternity.one not so hot start so far today is showing chinks?

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Blanton, the pitcher with a 6.86 ERA, sets the Reds down in order. 4-0 Phils after two.

Blanton's due for a correction in the right direction; Owings was due for one in the wrong direction (ERA-wise).

Things correct quickly against an offense like the Phils'.

Kc61
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Let's keep in mind that pitching at noon today means Owings did not get the usual 4 days' rest. He pitched late Saturday night in San Diego, coming off the mound at about 1AM, Cincinnati time, Sunday morning. Turning him around for noon on Thursday is technically a 3 and half days' rest. So, he's going on short rest for two straight starts. It's mismanagement of the staff, pure and simple.

I'll admit it hasn't worked out, but I wouldn't take this argument too far. Owings only threw 81 pitches Saturday and only 90 the start before that. He had all day Sunday off after 1AM, all day Monday off, all day Tuesday off, all day Wednesday off. This game was 12:30 pm on Thursday. That sounds like a full four days off to me.

Last year with Harang the problem was bringing him back on three days' rest, that didn't happen today. And Ramirez is not Cy Young either, no assurance what he would have done.

The problem may be that the Phils are loaded with left handed hitting, Owings has a full 2.00 WHIP against lefties this year, not a very good number. It's just not a great match up for him.

So yes, in retrospect Dusty shouldn't have pitched him, but it's not the crime of the century.

lollipopcurve

Owings has been solid recently. Very good outing vs. Arizona, good in relief against San Diego. Philly is a very tough lineup for anybody. Best offense in the league.

The mismanagement is a larger issue than today's performance anyway.

traderumor
Let's keep in mind that pitching at noon today means Owings did not get the usual 4 days' rest. He pitched late Saturday night in San Diego, coming off the mound at about 1AM, Cincinnati time, Sunday morning. Turning him around for noon on Thursday is technically a 3 and half days' rest. So, he's going on short rest for two straight starts. It's mismanagement of the staff, pure and simple.Speaking of self-fulfilling prophecies...;)

Falls City Beer
one not so hot start so far today is showing chinks?

His FIP has shown them all season. He's a walks machine.

Reds/Flyers Fan
Well that's that.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Dobbs homers and the Phils lead 5-0 in the middle of the third.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Hopefully Owings can hit a 5-run Home Run in the 3rd to make up for his performance so far.

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM

unfortunately

lollipopcurve
That sounds like a full four days off to me.

You're right -- my bad.

traderumor
Hmmm, the best offense in the league beating up on our 5th starter after being held in check for 2 days. It must be Owings needing extra rest, eh?

traderumor
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Tom pointing out Blanton showing control whereby he has struggled all year. I would call it no fear against our lineup these days.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Tom pointing out Blanton showing control whereby he has struggled all year. I would call it no fear against our lineup these days.

Eh, it's just that Blanton, on balance, is a much better pitcher than Owings, and performance is starting to prove that.

Yeah, Blanton walked several his last time out, but he was facing the 3rd best offense in the NL, the Nationals.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Hopefully Owings can hit a 5-run Home Run in the 3rd to make up for his performance so far.

Or a 1 out single. Either/or.

Nasty_Boy
At least the guy can swing the dude can still swing the bat.

jojo
Owings has been solid recently. Very good outing vs. Arizona, good in relief against San Diego. Philly is a very tough lineup for anybody. Best offense in the league.

The mismanagement is a larger issue than today's performance anyway.

Owings has been a below average starter all season. San Diego hasn't ruined him today. Philadelphia just finds below average pitchers to be yummy for lunch.

Kc61
05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Eh, it's just that Blanton, on balance, is a much better pitcher than Owings, and performance is starting to prove that.

Yeah, Blanton walked several his last time out, but he was facing the 3rd best offense in the NL, the Nationals.

Yeah, if you compare the lineups today and compare the pitchers, you have to wonder why the outcome was ever in doubt.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, if you compare the lineups today and compare the pitchers, you have to wonder why the outcome was ever in doubt.

To predict each starter's ERA at the end of the season, you can probably flip-flop the respective starter's ERA coming into today. Blanton's ERA will probably be around 3.95, and Owings @ 6.00.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Wow, Owings already pulled. Ramirez gets the call here in the 4th.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Ramon Ramirez is in to replace Owings.

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow. Blanton punks Rosales on 3 pitches. Anyone still think EE should be required to "take back" third from Rosales?

traderumor
Yeah, if you compare the lineups today and compare the pitchers, you have to wonder why the outcome was ever in doubt.Because its MLB, and on a day to day basis, you just never know. Its why betting on baseball is just downright silly.

cumberlandreds
I wonder what that does to Saturday's starter? Bailey? Maloney? or someone else?

Screwball
So who pitches on Saturday night??

Kc61
05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
So if Volquez can't go Saturday, somebody new has to come from AAA. Bailey or Maloney. I'm guessing Maloney.

Who gets sent out? Could be Ramirez sent right back down to AAA. Or it could be Lincoln for some long toss DL time.

Or Volquez could just go on the DL to make room for the new guy.

CTA513
I wonder what that does to Saturday's starter? Bailey? Maloney? or someone else?

Harang

:D

Falls City Beer
Wow. Blanton punks Rosales on 3 pitches. Anyone still think EE should be required to "take back" third from Rosales?

It's like choosing between a Dart and Gremlin. Me, I'll take someone altogether different at third.

lollipopcurve
yes, in retrospect Dusty shouldn't have pitched him, but it's not the crime of the century.

I'm not going to claim that today's outing is proof that Owings should have been rested. Philly's tough on anybody, especially a righty with borderline stuff like Owings has. But I will say that I am not surprised by what has happened.

My main objection is that the entire starting rotation could have been set up better from today through Saturday. And the BP could have been fortified by disabling Volquez and bringing up Fisher or another penner. They were short-staffed while Massett was hurt and still active, and they're right back to the same situation now because they're going to "wait and see" with Volquez. To me, it's a pattern of inaction, and I find it, if not the crime of the century, somewhat incriminating of the team's management.

traderumor
Wow. Blanton punks Rosales on 3 pitches. Anyone still think EE should be required to "take back" third from Rosales?Rosales is a great idea for a utility infielder, which he was projected all along. Daily, he just isn't good enough.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM

This seems most likely. He went into Dusty's office today after 2 pitches and said he couldn't go anymore.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Mr. Ramirez chucking strikes. Like the change in narrative.

RichRed
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
So if Volquez can't go Saturday, somebody new has to come from AAA. Bailey or Maloney. I'm guessing Maloney.

Who gets sent out? Could be Ramirez sent right back down to AAA. Or it could be Lincoln for some long toss DL time.

Except that the Reds are apparently morally opposed to the DL.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
A game like this should make us appreciate all the more just how well Cueto, Harang and the bullpen pitched the past couple days.

CTA513
6-0 Phillies

cumberlandreds
Mr. Ramirez chucking strikes. Like the change in narrative.

Utley just chucked one out of the park. 6-0 Phils.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Utley just chucked one out of the park. 6-0 Phils.

Prefer strikes to walking the pitcher.

jojo
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Utley is just amazingly awesome.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not going to claim that today's outing is proof that Owings should have been rested. Philly's tough on anybody, especially a righty with borderline stuff like Owings has. But I will say that I am not surprised by what has happened.

My main objection is that the entire starting rotation could have been set up better from today through Saturday. And the BP could have been fortified by disabling Volquez and bringing up Fisher or another penner. They were short-staffed while Massett was hurt and still active, and they're right back to the same situation now because they're going to "wait and see" with Volquez. To me, it's a pattern of inaction, and I find it, if not the crime of the century, somewhat incriminating of the team's management.I don't recall seeing Lincoln or Burton since last Saturday. Volquez just came out and said he can't pitch yesterday. The apprehension to use the DL is that a guy is gone for two weeks. If the guy only needs to miss a start, it is just as much mismanagement to DL him. These are not debilitating injuries that the Reds are getting, yet there is this call for DLing minor, day to day injuries.

Kc61
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM

My main objection is that the entire starting rotation could have been set up better from today through Saturday. And the BP could have been fortified by disabling Volquez and bringing up Fisher or another penner. They were short-staffed while Massett was hurt and still active, and they're right back to the same situation now because they're going to "wait and see" with Volquez. To me, it's a pattern of inaction, and I find it, if not the crime of the century, somewhat incriminating of the team's management.

There is a pattern of inaction on the team. The are DLing guys slowly and reluctantly. They should have flown a pitcher to San Diego, no good reason that they didn't. Agree with that.

Just think that today's decision is more supportable. Most teams would have started Owings today. Reds have plenty of relievers available to spell him, no urgency to DL Volquez and bring up another one.

And there is ample time to bring up Maloney or Bailey to pitch Saturday night.

The big lesson of today's game IMO isn't so much roster mismanagement. It's that the Phils have a far better lineup than the Reds and, certainly without Votto and EE, the Reds are really no match for them most games.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Looks to me like Bailey will be on regular rest. I think Maloney is set to go tomorrow, Homer or Lecure (both pitched on Monday) on Saturday.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I have no objection to Ramirez being used as a long man -- I think they need to carry a long man (and give him 3-inning save opportunities from time to time). But if they promote Bailey or Maloney -- and I think it's a lock they will -- they ought to do it by disabling Volquez, not by sending someone down while they *hope* Volquez gets better quickly. They've got to stop playing undermanned. Give the call-up a couple starts and give EV a couple weeks to work on rehabbing.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
My Goodness is Blanton cruising. Another scoreless inning. He's thrown 64 pitches, 47 for strikes.

6-0 Phils after 4.

Kc61
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Looks to me like Bailey will be on regular rest. I think Maloney is set to go tomorrow, Homer or Lecure (both pitched on Monday) on Saturday.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I have no objection to Ramirez being used as a long man -- I think they need to carry a long man (and give him 3-inning save opportunities from time to time). But if they promote Bailey or Maloney -- and I think it's a lock they will -- they ought to do it by disabling Volquez, not by sending someone down while they *hope* Volquez gets better quickly. They've got to stop playing undermanned. Give the call-up a couple starts and give EV a couple weeks to work on rehabbing.

I agree absolutely. I would not mess around with Volquez. V seems to know this himself, he suggested that he should miss a start.

Also agree that the team has to start having 25 available players. Hate to upset anyone, but if they think Votto needs another week to recover, they should DL him too. Hopefully he can be back sooner and it won't be needed.

I would like to see the Reds have a lefty fifth starter. Their main starters are right handed, a lefty starter would help against some teams - like the Phils. Tough to pick and choose a pitcher's starting slots, but it would add an element.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Half through this one. 6-0 Phils.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
First inning that the Phillies didn't score.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Volquez just came out and said he can't pitch yesterday.

Tweaked it in his last start on the 17th. Red flag should go up.

Couldn't warm up yesterday -- threw 2 pitches. Does that indicate a minor injury? I don't see how we can feel sure of that.

What's the responsible approach for the health of the pitcher? Because the health of the pitcher is far more important than keeping alive the hope you can squeeze a start out of him before he would have come off the DL. The answer is to disable him. It should have happened by today's game. Louisville is 2 hours away.

VR
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Reds got it cookin in the 5th with leadoff singles by Hanigan and Janish.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Hanigan and Janish with back to back singles to start the bottom of the 5th.

Strikes Out Looking
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Tweaked it in his last start on the 17th. Red flag should go up.

Couldn't warm up yesterday -- threw 2 pitches. Does that indicate a minor injury? I don't see how we can feel sure of that.

What's the responsible approach for the health of the pitcher? Because the health of the pitcher is far more important than keeping alive the hope you can squeeze a start out of him before he would have come off the DL. The answer is to disable him. It should have happened by today's game. Louisville is 2 hours away.

It's simple--dl him and if he misses 2-3 starts its no big deal in the overall scheme of things. And another thing, keep him away from Kremchek.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Hanigan and Janish with back to back singles to start the bottom of the 5th.

Successful bunt by Ramirez gets them to 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Reds are on the board. 6-1 Taveras an RBI single.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Janish grounds out to score another run. 6-2 Phils and Taveras at 2nd with two out. A long one by Bruce would look good here.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Bruce walks. Let's see if a red-hot Phillips can come through again.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Bruce walks. Phillips up. I would take a liner up the gap.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Bruce walks. Let's see if a red-hot Phillips can come through again.

He does!! 1 run game after the 3 run jack!

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
:jump::jump::jump:

traderumor
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Man, that happened fast. We gots us a ballgame. :)

CTA513
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Blanton showing why he had a high ERA coming in.

redsmetz
Crossing my fingers. I was just thinking I feel like this club can win most any game, but I don't have the feeling this year that we're able to climb out of hole and come back. Here's hoping we can.

cumberlandreds
Nix out on a close play at first. Reds are back in it. 6-5 Phils after six.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I have no objection to Ramirez being used as a long man -- I think they need to carry a long man (and give him 3-inning save opportunities from time to time). But if they promote Bailey or Maloney -- and I think it's a lock they will -- they ought to do it by disabling Volquez, not by sending someone down while they *hope* Volquez gets better quickly. They've got to stop playing undermanned. Give the call-up a couple starts and give EV a couple weeks to work on rehabbing.Man, that is an awful matter of fact handling for someone working on conjecture.

Screwball
Janish grounds out to score another run. 6-2 Phils and Taveras at 2nd with two out. A long one by Bruce would look good here.

I think it was actually Rosales. :)

membengal
Four innings to try and get back a run. Much more doable. Nice patient inning for the offense. Well done, Brandon. Well done.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I think it was actually Rosales. :)

You are correct. Got my infielders mixed up. :)

redsfaninbsg
Key is to get 3 outs and get back to hitting.

traderumor
So much for Blanton's ERA improving.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
A leadoff walk. Not a good way to start an inning.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Reds get it to 6-5 and Ramirez walks Ruiz on 5 pitches to start the 6th inning.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Nothing is more frustrating than your pitcher giving back all the momentum that your offense just produced. A leadoff walk to the back of the order is just the thing that makes your skin crawl. You have to throw up a 0 here.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Bruntlett K's who pinch hit for Blanton.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Phillips in May: .366 avg, 1.093 OPS, 5 HR and 26 Ribbies (!!) with excellent 2nd base defense. He could very well be the NL's Player of the Month for May.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Baker out to make a double switch. Hairston replaces Rosales and Herrera in to pitch.

redsfaninbsg
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Who is coming in to pitch? Phillies tv didn't mention it going to break.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Ramirez gave us quality innings today, yielding a solo shot to Utley. Need Danny to come in here and lock it down and get the bats back out there.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Who is coming in to pitch? Phillies tv didn't mention it going to break.

Danny H. FYI - Chase Utley is hitting 40 points higher vs. lefties this season.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Rollins is only batting .180 from the right side of the plate.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Man, that is an awful matter of fact handling for someone working on conjecture.

There is no conjecture in the matter of Volquez's health. He is hurt, and that's a fact. You take conjecture somewhat out of the equation by disabling him. You leave conjecture in by keeping him active and operating your pitching staff as if he *may* be back soon. You've got it backwards, tr.

redsfaninbsg
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Geez, lucky hit, then Phillips makes a little league play.

membengal
05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Apparently an annoying soft seeing-eye ground ball single to rf.

Runner goes to third, and Rollins ends up at second somehow.

jojo
05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Absolutely horrible decision by Phillips to attempt that throw. My gosh.

redsfaninbsg
Phillips lobbed the ball to third base throwing off his back foot, terrible play on his part.

jojo
Danny H vs superman.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Leadoff walk scores.

cumberlandreds
SF by Utley. 7-5 Phils. So much for momentum.

Red in Chicago
bruce made it close, but phils get a run back...sigh

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Sac fly makes it 7-5, although apparently Bruce made it close at home.

jojo
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Bruce is a stud.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Hernandez got ahead 3-0, but ends up grounding out to 2nd.

cumberlandreds
05-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Hanigan a one out walk.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
The Manigan works a 1 out walk.

redsfaninbsg
Frustrating inning, guy shows control problems, Hernandez grounds out on a 3-1 pitch and Janish pops out on the first pitch.

cumberlandreds
Janish hacks away on the first pitch and pops out.

Screwball
Janish then goes up there hacking at the first pitch, popping up to right. At least Gonzalez woulda waited a couple pitches before making his out. ;)

LincolnparkRed
05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't like Dusty's need to do something there, like to ramirez. It seemed like he thought to himself, we're back in this dude, I better do something managerial. Not a fan to switch them out yet.

Gallen5862
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Come on Reds. We need to catch up.

jojo
05-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Great camera work on the Taveras nubber.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
8-5 as Howard homers

fisch11
05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
That 1 run deficit has quickly faded out of the rear view mirror.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Phillies getting to our middle relief. 5th starter and middle relief is BP for this lineup.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Side note: The Indians have touched Greinke for 2 ER and are still batting with 1 out and 2 on in the 2nd.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Just noticed that Brandon Phillips' 33 RBIs are 4 off of the NL lead. He is having a monster May and will win player of the month honors at this pace.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
10-5 Phillies

Screwball
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
11-5 Phils. This one looks to be over.

Phillies have failed to score in only 1 out of 7 innings so far.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
The bullpen owes an apology to Brandon Phillips. Oh where art thou 2008 Burton?

Kc61
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Burton did so well against SD. I guess maybe that's the difference between SD and Phil.

Not too many lights out guys in the pen these days. Wonder when we see Roenicke and Fisher.

fisch11
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Ouch! Carl Pavano just beaned Jose Guillen in what looked like the jaw. Guillen stayed in the game.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
McDonald walks and Bruce singles to right to start off the Reds' 7th.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Phillips hits into a 4-3 DP and Nix Ks to end the threat.

Still 87-5 Phillies, or something like that.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Ibanez homer makes it 12-5. Who buys the "switching leagues" theory with Ibanez?

vaticanplum
Marty getting tetchy about Lincoln and Burton.

fisch11
Great timing....Marty was ripping the bullpen by calling them "an absolute trainwreck" at the same time Ibanez crushes one off Lincoln.

Screwball
Lincoln gives up a HR to Ibanez. 206-5 Phillies, or thereabouts.

Phils have now scored in all but 1 of their 8 innings.

jojo
05-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Yikes, today is a turkey fest.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Burton's toast. Next!

CTA513
05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Not only is Lincoln getting hit but he has given up 11 walks and only struck out 5 batters.

:eek:

Kc61
05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Not only is Lincoln getting hit but he has given up 11 walks and only struck out 5 batters.

:eek:

Even when he was pitching pretty well as in 2008, Lincoln gave up long balls. He just doesn't seem to be a GABP pitcher, was surprised they re-signed him.

Burton and Lincoln haven't helped the cause. I can live with the rest of the bullpen.

Screwball
05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Lincoln's ERA stands at a very solid 9.60.

vaticanplum
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
What is going on with Burton, seriously?

CTA513
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Lincoln's ERA stands at a very solid 9.60.

He should be the first one given the boot and Burton should find his way to AAA to work on things.

CTA513
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
What is going on with Burton, seriously?

Poor command and then he nibbles at times which makes it even worse.

Screwball
Hanigan walks. He's been on base 3 times today.

Screwball
Poor command and then he nibbles at times which makes it even worse.

Velo seems to be down too.

vaticanplum
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Velo seems to be down too.

That's my impression too...he just seems to be falling apart all-around.

Boy, when the Reds start to lose badly, Brennaman and Brantley get bored.
And boring. Not that I blame them.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Burton's toast. Next!Volatility of relievers. If he's healthy, this just could be one of those years for him. The Reds will dump him and he'll show up somewhere else and be nails. Then, their pitching coach will be anointed as a genius and Dick Pole will be deemed incompetent. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Big Klu
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, I lost the radio feed...again! :angry: Anytime there is a weekday afternoon game, someone at the local affiliate switches over to ESPN talk radio at about 3:40 p.m.

jojo
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Dickerson's fly was one of the few today that didn't carry. :eek:

CTA513
05-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Reds lose 12-5

LvJ
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Raul is batting around .350 with 15 HR and an OPS of about 22million.

Nuts.

BCubb2003
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
At least it's not the Minnesota-Chicago game.

jojo
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Do you think Peavey's asking price for getting him to waive his notrade clause just went up? :cool:

Reds Fanatic
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Wow. 20-0 in the 8th inning. Unfortunately for the White Sox there is no little league mercy rule.

CrackerJack
05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Almost back to .500, where they will most likely stay.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Volatility of relievers. If he's healthy, this just could be one of those years for him. The Reds will dump him and he'll show up somewhere else and be nails. Then, their pitching coach will be anointed as a genius and Dick Pole will be deemed incompetent. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't care who gets blamed. If you believe the clippings the Reds have a bunch of bullpen aces down in the minors; what's stopping them?

(I don't necessarily think there are that many great arms down there, but what do I know?).

Walt's best option is probably pulling a Masset.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Almost back to .500, where they will most likely stay.

Yeah, with the injuries piling up the likelihood of playing over their heads for a decent stretch is greatly minimized as well.

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Burton has struggled since his injury last year.

Probably time to stir some a new ingredient or two into the bullpen brew. Guys scouts haven't seen much of, if anything.

MrCinatit
05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
This was the first time I had been to a live baseball game since 1990.
In retrospect, not the best of times to go to a game - but I had a lot of fun, anyhow. The Phillips homer put a lot of energy into the ballpark.
I forgot all about the butterflies I got whenever seeing the ballpark for the first time upon arriving. A great feeling, that is.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't care who gets blamed. If you believe the clippings the Reds have a bunch of bullpen aces down in the minors; what's stopping them?

(I don't necessarily think there are that many great arms down there, but what do I know?).

Walt's best option is probably pulling a Masset.That wasn't the point. The point is your likely premature designation of Burton as "toast." But I am all for letting him make adjustments in Louisville.