PDA

View Full Version : Peavy debating Trade to White Sox

Hondo
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562

Well Boys, this is where the difference between Winners and Pereinal Floaters Divide...

The White Sox see an opening and Get it. The Reds watch a Wheel fall off and try and drive slower...

Damn, I would have really liked Peavy to be on this Team. :(

Bumstead
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
What in the world could White Sox offer for Peavy?? They can't trade Beckham yet...Clayton Richard can't be the best player in that deal...

mroby85
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Thats surprising to say the least, I really think the reds need an offensive bat more than Peavy though, although I wouldn't have complained if they traded for him.

bgwilly31
05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Peavy isnt what this team needs right now to be a winner.

Sure he wouldnt hurt. But we a well rounded team.

Right now were lopsided.

Hondo
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, its kinda like in the 1990's when the Braves had Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and the 5th guy (Merker, Smith, Leibrandt, etc)

That was a feared Rotation.... Thats what I would have Liked to have in here...

Brutus
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, its kinda like in the 1990's when the Braves had Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and the 5th guy (Merker, Smith, Leibrandt, etc)

Peavy would be a luxury, not a necessity. The Braves did not go out and trade a ton of prospects to get Maddux. They already had the other guys and signed Maddux as a free agent. In the case of the Reds, their pitching is already above average. They need to spend their resources on acquiring a big bat if one is available. That's the kind of trade they need to make - not another ace.

And trust me, I'd love to have Peavy. It simply is not what they need to be doing.

Dude Rock
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Me too. Peavy, Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo with Owings as the long guy? Unbelievable. And if any pitcher gets injured, Owings is right there to start.

What will really get in my crawl is when the White Sox give up pittance compared to what we could have given. Then I will be mad.

I don't care if he's a luxury. When you're not scoring runs, it would be nice to have that shutdown pitcher.

bounty37h
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I was listening to a guy about this this morning, said Peavy is likely to turn this one down, wants to stay in the NL and be a real baseball player, not an AL spoftballer. Actually heard the Cubs are making a push and leading over the Sox due to this part, although Sox are pushing harder to make it happen

Hondo
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I was listening to a guy about this this morning, said Peavy is likely to turn this one down, wants to stay in the NL and be a real baseball player, not an AL spoftballer. Actually heard the Cubs are making a push and leading over the Sox due to this part, although Sox are pushing harder to make it happen

Good, well I still wish Walt would get in there and Offer some young arms, Bailey, Ramirez, Maloney, and some more to get this guy...

Peavy
Harang
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo

Oh Yeah... FEAR.

schmidty622
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
It was never going to happen, and it never will happen. The Reds don't have the payroll.

corwinator3407
05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think he is going to accept the deal anyway. Going to a much better team, but he wants to stay in the NL for some reason.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
It was never going to happen, and it never will happen. The Reds don't have the payroll.
Trade Arroyo and we do. Their contracts are surprisingly almost a wash.

I would've traded anyone but Bailey and Alonso for Peavy (sounds like he'll go for less anyway), then move one or both of those two for a LF and/or SS. We'd be in the World Series this year.

Dude Rock
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM

They don't want to have the payroll. If other small clubs can top $90 million, so can the Reds. They just don't want to. And they can probably unload Arroyo at the trading deadline as pitching becomes a premium for contenders.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
They don't want to have the payroll. If other small clubs can top $90 million, so can the Reds. They just don't want to. And they can probably unload Arroyo at the trading deadline as pitching becomes a premium for contenders.
Yep, just as I mentioned. Move Arroyo to the Yanks with a C prospect for Swisher. Trade whatever prospects you have to get Peavy. Move a few pitching prospects to the M's for Beltre, dump Edwin and Gonzalez somehow, and we're a contender.

CF Taveras
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Swisher
RF Bruce
3B Beltre
C Hernandez/Hanigan
SS Janish

That's a solid team without any real holes on it other than Janish, who would play good D anyway.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Peavy just vetoed it.

corwinator3407
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM

They do have a LOT of young guys to start paying more than minor league deals here soon..

TC81190
05-21-2009, 07:07 PM
They do have a LOT of young guys to start paying more than minor league deals here soon..
When are Votto, Bruce, Cueto, and Volquez all arb. eligible? I'm sure Volquez is the closest.

Still, dump some of the more expensive contracts (Lincoln, Gonzalez, Edwin), and it's not too unreasonable.

corwinator3407
05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Check that site out. Its just a blog, but it seems pretty legit to me.

Kingspoint
05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I noticed that one of the key players is one that's probably equivalent to a Neftali Soto.

In order for us to get Peavy, we'd have to give up a Soto and Maloney, plus two other minor leaguers.

Bailey and Soto would be too much, though San Diego would certainly take that.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I noticed that one of the key players is one that's probably equivalent to a Neftali Soto.

In order for us to get Peavy, we'd have to give up a Soto and Maloney, plus two other minor leaguers.

Bailey and Soto would be too much, though San Diego would certainly take that.
Definitely not a problem with me. Maloney doesn't have a role with this team and we have plenty of COF/CIF players like Soto, who has serious plate discipline issues anyway. Maloney, Soto, and a couple of A ball arms for Peavy would be great.

Hondo
05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I am so HAPPY Jake Peavy said NO to the Trade...

Please Walt! Get this guy and attendance will go UP!!!

Dominate the Central over the Next 6-8 Years with this Pitching Staff you could Possibly have...

I hope the Reds look into this!

Brutus
05-22-2009, 12:24 AM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Check that site out. Its just a blog, but it seems pretty legit to me.

It's been running for several years. Very good site. Definitely legit.

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 03:32 AM
I am so HAPPY Jake Peavy said NO to the Trade...

Please Walt! Get this guy and attendance will go UP!!!

Dominate the Central over the Next 6-8 Years with this Pitching Staff you could Possibly have...

I hope the Reds look into this!

I agree. What a weak offer the White Sox made. If we can get Peavy for the same return.......it's a no-brainer. I continue to be disappointed in management. They continue to be idiots. Seriously. Castillini is a wanna-be. If Walt doesn't make this deal, his best days are behind him.

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Peavy just vetoed it.

He wants to go to the incredible offensive Reds. :D

Okay, so we have a lousy offense. He still wants to be in the NL.

schmidty622
05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't get overly optimistic or hopeful that he is coming to the Reds. If Peavy vetoed a deal to a great city like Chicago what makes you think he will accept a trade to a city, which is also very nice, like Cincinnati?

He likes San Diego. It's a pitchers paradise. He doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to go. He may just veto any deal that comes along because he likes San Diego so much.

schmidty622
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Peavy Career Home: 2.81
Peavy Career Away: 3.82

Pitching at GABP, Peavy might not even be all that great of an acquisition considering the contract.

bounty37h
05-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Yeah, but if they start winning consistantly and are in the race later, more fans come to games, but tix and spend money at the park, problem solved, you have a winner and fans, and make money-pretty simple overall, but we never seem to grasp this basic business model of spend money to make money. Not saying this to argue getting Peavy, but to debunk the old "we dont have the money" excuse, its there, its just not used, big difference. If it isnt there for some reason, thats a bigger problem and a sign the FO is more screwed then many think....

bounty37h
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't get overly optimistic or hopeful that he is coming to the Reds. If Peavy vetoed a deal to a great city like Chicago what makes you think he will accept a trade to a city, which is also very nice, like Cincinnati?

He likes San Diego. It's a pitchers paradise. He doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to go. He may just veto any deal that comes along because he likes San Diego so much.

He vetoed the deal because he wants to be in the NL and hit, he would have accepted a Cubs trade to that same city, it wasnt the city, its the game.

Bumstead
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Committing $60M+ over 3 1/2 years is never simple for a middle market team (let's not even start with tearing up the farm system). The Reds are winning now; are they selling out?

The Reds need hitting, not pitching. They have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and one of the worst offenses. Peavy makes zero sense for the Reds.

Bum

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
The Reds never do anything "big" anyway. They have a total small market mentality. That's why they've done jack squat the last 10+ years.

Bumstead
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Not really. The farm system was destroyed. That is the lifeblood of small market teams. They made some trades that unfortunately didn't work out and then invested $$ in players, like Milton, that hampered their ability to go out and get anyone else (while he collected $25M on the DL with whiplash from watching people hit HR's off his own offerings). How can they do anything 'big' (whatever that is) when they can't sell out the stadium when they are winning??? They don't have that big TV contract to absorb the huge salaries that I am aware of.

Hondo
05-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Peavy would come to the Reds if they exercised his Big Option Year!

Walt has been a Big name Trader in the Past so hey hey hey... Come on Walt...

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
They're showcasing Bailey for the Padres. They want to see if Bailey has improved at all. If he gets rocked, then no deal. If he has a good outing, Bailey and a few other prospects for Peavy!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!! :D

Slyder
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM
They're showcasing Bailey for the Padres. They want to see if Bailey has improved at all. If he gets rocked, then no deal. If he has a good outing, Bailey and a few other prospects for Peavy!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!! :D

Actually I think they are showcasing him for the Injuns ;). Homer plus a couple other guys for Grady Sizemore :D. Screw breaking up the lefties ;).

brachial pleXUs
05-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I have resigned myself to the fact that he will probably go to the Cubs, who already have arguably the best rotation in baseball. (when they're all healthy) Imagine it: Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, Dempster! It's enough to make you mad--they've become the Yankees of the NL, hoarding commodities so nobody else can have them. Either that or he goes to the Brewers and pulls a Sabathia. Neither outcome is desirable.

Hondo
05-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I have resigned myself to the fact that he will probably go to the Cubs, who already have arguably the best rotation in baseball. (when they're all healthy) Imagine it: Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, Dempster! It's enough to make you mad--they've become the Yankees of the NL, hoarding commodities so nobody else can have them. Either that or he goes to the Brewers and pulls a Sabathia. Neither outcome is desirable.

Well this is Walts first year in Charge from the Get Go so like I said in the Past, he aquired Money guys...

McGwire, Edmonds, Eckersley, Rolen, Mulder (even though that didn't work out), etc...

Peavy in Red... Walt, dang nabbit! Trade for this guy~!

And Grady Sizemore...

Dude Rock
05-24-2009, 01:27 AM

I have too. The Reds never do anything big. More of the same with the big market clubs dominating because of money, and the Reds trying to get by. It never changes.