PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Seats commentary

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok, so I sat in the Diamond Seats last night. I wanna state that I used to think this was the best viewing experience in baseball from about 2003-2006, bar none.

Here's a picture of Grady Sizemore on deck before Coco Cordero struck him out in the 9th.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UYl4EeW8xVg/ShgGL4fqB3I/AAAAAAAAGDw/aYP2nQM2aoA/s400/redsgame.jpg

But I really want to raise some complaints about diamond seat tickets as someone who now sees the fan being slighted by the organization.

-First thing I noticed upon arrival: the restaurant now opens at 5:40. In the past, you were in the stadium before anyone else. Baseball has made it hard enough for fans to get into the stadium early to see some batting practice and interact with the players. This was one of the perks of Diamond Seats that made it that much extra special. I remember getting in aroudn 4:30 or 5:00 PM and being able to even see the Reds take BP. In the window to the tunnel in the restaurant I'd get to see every player walk past. By the time you get in the restaurant now, none of this. When asking the guard at the gate of the Diamond Club "why?" did they make this change, he just says "economy". Okay. So when the watch hits 5:40, let us in. Don't make us actually wait until 5:42. Yes, it's a big deal.

-Overall, the food choices have really dropped off. Sure, it's better and much healthier than typical ballpark food. But overall, it doesn't hold a candle to the QUALITY of stuff that was there when I'd go to the Diamond Club in 2003-2006. Salmon is replaced with trout. Everything is just a much lower quality such as salads, soup, desserts. It used to remind me of a 5-star restaurant. Now it's a high end sports bar. The meal no longer justifies the $210 ticket.

-In seat waiter service. This is a biggie. They used to come to the seat every inning, this is what they advertise. We saw the guy 2 or 3 times, max. Each time we ordered it took 2 innings for him to bring something back. This is because they've cut down on the amount of waiters working, I believe. This is really huge too. They probably figure they're saving a few hundred items every single night but can still advertise the same service they always have. In addition, the menu items are also real poor now. I remember hearing tell that they'd added Dippin Dots and Skyline to the Diamond Seats; something fans had fought to get there. In addition to that they had a menu of high quality stuff. Not anyone. Bottled water has been replaced with TAP water in a plastic cup! I couldn't believe it! No skyline anymore. No dippin dots. No big red smokeys. Just plain old regular items oh yea and Chicken fingers.

Bottom line of this all, don't spend the money right now on Diamond Seats folks. The only thing that they haven't shortchanged us on now is the view, which is tremendous. If they're going to change all of these things, they really need to change the price of the ticket. It is not fair to charge the same old $210 they always have when the experience has clearly dropped off. I guess I really realize it because I have not been since 2006 when it truly was awesome. Just felt like getting this all out here so some of my fellow Reds fans can know that it's truly not worth it, if your gonna spend big money to go to the park, buy the seats on the Reds dugout and go out to a nice dinner before the game. Don't give the Reds big money for Diamond Seats when they are doing their best to jip the man and not thinking of the most important thing, fan experience.

Fon Duc Tow
05-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Good to know. My birthday is coming up and I was thinking about splurging on a couple diamond seats for me and the missus.

But three or 4 seats over in any direction and the tickets are 70 a piece. The only things that separated Diamond from the others was all the extra stuff. If the Reds are cheaping out on those, then my decision is made.

Thanks for the heads up.

schmidty622
05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Who eats fish at a ball game? That's about as unamerican as it comes.

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Who eats fish at a ball game? That's about as unamerican as it comes.

I usually get a big red smokie.....

I'm on a diet dude. For health reasons. So I have to eat healthy. It was the fish or pasta and I'm not allowed carbs really. Plus when you sit in the Diamond Seats its all about eating something fancy. If you want American I'd say sit in the Moon Deck (awesome seats) and get a dog. :)

schmidty622
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I usually get a big red smokie.....

I'm on a diet dude. For health reasons. So I have to eat healthy. It was the fish or pasta and I'm not allowed carbs really. Plus when you sit in the Diamond Seats its all about eating something fancy. If you want American I'd say sit in the Moon Deck (awesome seats) and get a dog. :)

Diet or no diet, nothing beats dogs and beer at a game.

Best day of the week to go to a game is Wednesday. Dollar Burgers over at Bar Louie in Newport, then 5 dollar tickets and a move down to the home dugout. Beats diamond seats anyday of the week.

bgwilly31
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
2 innings to get a beer would piss me off big time. Somebody would have heard about it and LOUD about halfway through the game.

Good to know though. Last time i did diamond seats was 07'. Best time i ever had a ball game.

Ghosts of 1990
05-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Sat in the club tonight, and I have to say if you can deal with that seat location it's really a nice spot in the park. Have to agree with schmidty. Sitting on reds dugout is the way to go

robmadden1
05-24-2009, 02:41 AM
I refuse to sit in the club anymore from what I heard on here how bad it has gotten. Not worth the 210 bucks. I refuse to pay 210bucks and get tap water. i want bottled water for 210 bucks. The fish change i can handel but not the water change. I have to watch what I eat. Most food in the club has too much sallt in it anyway except for the buffett. I was put on a low salt diet by my dr 3 weeks ago so these food changes make me mad since they are not low salt. Can't drink the free soda too much salt and I don't want tap water. Can't have beer. Meds wont allow iit lol. Any way sounds really bad down there. It used to be good back in 2007. I still have a copy of the in seat menu from 2007.

steig
05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I refuse to sit in the club anymore from what I heard on here how bad it has gotten. Not worth the 210 bucks. I refuse to pay 210bucks and get tap water. i want bottled water for 210 bucks. The fish change i can handel but not the water change. I have to watch what I eat. Most food in the club has too much sallt in it anyway except for the buffett. I was put on a low salt diet by my dr 3 weeks ago so these food changes make me mad since they are not low salt. Can't drink the free soda too much salt and I don't want tap water. Can't have beer. Meds wont allow iit lol. Any way sounds really bad down there. It used to be good back in 2007. I still have a copy of the in seat menu from 2007.

If you are on that strict of a diet, why not pack some food to take to the ball park. I believe they still allow you to take food into the game. I'm a fitness fanatic so if I'm going to a game when my diet is really strict then I pack a salad, order a chicken sandwich and have them keep the bun and ask them to give some kid what would have been my fries.

robmadden1
05-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I wont pay 9 bucks for a small chicken breast. Not worth it. I could get 4 fried breast from Humberts for the same price lol.

Ghosts of 1990
05-24-2009, 11:07 AM
If you are on that strict of a diet, why not pack some food to take to the ball park. I believe they still allow you to take food into the game. I'm a fitness fanatic so if I'm going to a game when my diet is really strict then I pack a salad, order a chicken sandwich and have them keep the bun and ask them to give some kid what would have been my fries.

Your missing the point. I don't want to be the first man in history to go to the Diamond Club Seats and pack a lunch haha.

I'm just trying to help you guys our, or at least forewarn you.... The Diamond Club is not what it was. Someone in the organization needs to be told the quality has suffered.

Newman4
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Boys, to tell you the truth, I do ok financially and I'm not sure what you guys do for work, but if I fork over $200-some dollars for a ticket then they better have whatever I want to eat and plenty of it. I can understand and rationalize anyone being particular if they're paying that kind of change. The Diamond Seat ticket holders is not the crowd to go cheap on. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can sit pretty close to the same area for over $100 less, so they need to make the experience that much better. Also, good luck to you guys with your health. It sounds like you need to take care of yourselves. Be careful, so we can all enjoy the Reds for many years to come.

bucknutdet
05-25-2009, 09:02 AM
There is very little, if any sodium in diet soda.

robmadden1
05-25-2009, 10:37 AM
bucknutdet not true. Go read the lable of Diet Coke or Diet pepsi. What you read is only for 8 ounce not the full can or bottle. If i drink too much soda of any kind dont matter if it is diet r not my feet swell up like ballons from the sodium. A fountain Diet coke for 32 oz size cup has 57mg of sodium.