PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young

CincyRed44
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I read on ORG possibly sending Masset and Fisher to the Twins for Delmon Young. Where I'd love to have him in the OF with Stubbs and Bruce, I don't think that package would interest the Twins. They need bullpen help but they also need a young, high ceiling 3b (Frazier or Francisco) some upside MI (Valaika or Cozart) plus a couple solid major league relievers.

Just so you know, they feel trading Delmon Young and a B prospect to SF for Matt Cain is very doable. Just perusing their site got that info. Are you willing to send Cueto or Volquez straight up to them or a combination of the above players? I don't think many would.

Now if we could get him cheaply it's a great pick-up. Potentially we'd a have a superstar outfield, but looking at what they gave up to get him (Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza) and his age 23, they will likely want to recoup some of their losses and stockpile their system at our expense.

Newman4
05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Just so you know, they feel trading Delmon Young and a B prospect to SF for Matt Cain is very doable. Just perusing their site got that info. Are you willing to send Cueto or Volquez straight up to them or a combination of the above players? I don't think many would.

Who is the "they" that believe Young + would get Cain?

Shawn_RedsFan
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Volquez and Cueto are off limits.

Dude Rock
05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Delmon Young

26 games
87 at bats
23 hits
1 double
1 home run
25 K's

No thanks. Dude comes with baggage and is way overrated. He has never hit more than 13 HR's or stolen more than 14 bases in a season. His career OBP is .325 and his career OPS is .732. Dude is way overrated. I wouldn't give up anything for him.........I'd only take him off their hands for free if they didn't want him anymore.

Jack Burton
05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Delmon Young

26 games
87 at bats
23 hits
1 double
1 home run
25 K's

No thanks. Dude comes with baggage and is way overrated. He has never hit more than 13 HR's or stolen more than 14 bases in a season. His career OBP is .325 and his career OPS is .732. Dude is way overrated. I wouldn't give up anything for him.........I'd only take him off their hands for free if they didn't want him anymore.
Agreed, not really sold on this guy. And you also have that unsightly umpire incident.

lidspinner
05-25-2009, 09:50 PM
the kid is honestly a superstar being held back by his own demons. I have yet to hear anything positive to come from this kid in terms of him trying to put baseball 1st. Dimitri even has said some things publicly about Delmon, I will try to look them up but I remember them all being very sad.

Dude Rock
05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
the kid is honestly a superstar being held back by his own demons. I have yet to hear anything positive to come from this kid in terms of him trying to put baseball 1st. Dimitri even has said some things publicly about Delmon, I will try to look them up but I remember them all being very sad.

The ONLY redeemable thing I can say about Delmon is that he is only 23 years old and has played in the majors since the 2006 season. He had high expectations placed on him and maybe he's just immature and has felt the pressure of those expectations. There is always that chance that he breaks out the older he gets.

But I'm still not sold on him.

RedLakerFan24
05-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I would send Bailey + Roenicke for Delmon, he has a ton of Potential

Ghosts of 1990
05-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I'd give them Bailey for Young. But it won't happen with the way that Gomes is hitting, they'll see if he's the answer.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-26-2009, 01:58 AM
I would not take Bailey for Young for one reason.

How is Homer supposed to develop some kind of consistency with the Reds if he is continually called up sent down called up and sent down

bounty37h
05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
^If you trade him, who cares if he goes up and down, why is that reason to not trade him?
That said, I wouldn't want Young on my team if he paid his own way here. We had to put up with him in Durham for a few years, lots of drama and trouble for this kid that could ruin what we have started in Cincy now quickly. Damn shame, kid is a ballplayer, but a nutjob.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
^If you trade him, who cares if he goes up and down, why is that reason to not trade him?
That said, I wouldn't want Young on my team if he paid his own way here. We had to put up with him in Durham for a few years, lots of drama and trouble for this kid that could ruin what we have started in Cincy now quickly. Damn shame, kid is a ballplayer, but a nutjob.

That is the reason I DON'T want to trade him. We trade him someone sticks with him in the rotation/bullpen and he becomes a good Major League Pitcher.

Dude Rock
05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I still think Homer has trade value and we could do much better.

He was a #1 pick and is only 22 years old. Plenty of time to figure it out. But I do think he is worth more in trade than on our roster. If he does make it, he will never be more than a 5th starter at best.

BLEEDS
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I still think Homer has trade value and we could do much better.

He was a #1 pick and is only 22 years old. Plenty of time to figure it out. But I do think he is worth more in trade than on our roster. If he does make it, he will never be more than a 5th starter at best.

Delmon Young is only 23 years old and a THE #1 pick overall.
He's also had a better MLB career thus far.
ROY runner up in 2007.

If we could trade Homer for Young straight-up, we'd be fleecing them.
He's got more potential than just about anybody we'll ever have in our system, arguably more than Jay Bruce.

We'd be stupid not to do that trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Hondo
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I read on ORG possibly sending Masset and Fisher to the Twins for Delmon Young. Where I'd love to have him in the OF with Stubbs and Bruce, I don't think that package would interest the Twins. They need bullpen help but they also need a young, high ceiling 3b (Frazier or Francisco) some upside MI (Valaika or Cozart) plus a couple solid major league relievers.

Now if we could get him cheaply it's a great pick-up. Potentially we'd a have a superstar outfield, but looking at what they gave up to get him (Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza) and his age 23, they will likely want to recoup some of their losses and stockpile their system at our expense.

Yeah, bad Idea... Those are the same people who debate trading for:

Austin Kearns
Felipe Lopez
Josh Willingham
Scott Hariston
Ryan Spilloughs (mispelled)

And now Delmon Young?

Why even debate trading for these "World Beaters"?

Absolutely not...

I also thought Fisher had been doing a Great Job. Why Trade him? He is cheap for 3 years and Looks like a Dang fine reliever.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
McDonald, Lincoln and Burton for Delmon Young. ;)

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Cardinals are actively seeking a RH bat too, now that Troy Glaus is probably out for the season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/glaus-may-not-play-cards-seeking-bat.html

RedLakerFan24
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I Would trade Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs and Yonder Alonso in exchange for Delmon Young and Francisco Lariano, Lariano is struggling right now but he has nasty stuff and Delmon has tons of potential, we would have to move Owings to the Bullpen and DFA Mike Lincoln, with this we still have a young team with more weapons on pitching and hitting

Bumstead
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I Would trade Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs and Yonder Alonso in exchange for Delmon Young and Francisco Lariano, Lariano is struggling right now but he has nasty stuff and Delmon has tons of potential, we would have to move Owings to the Bullpen and DFA Mike Lincoln, with this we still have a young team with more weapons on pitching and hitting

hehe...Young AND Liriano...hehe...you made me laugh out loud on that one. Thank you. Young would definitely be an interesting pick-up and a worthwhile risk in my opinion. Minnesota may part with Young, but they won't be trading Liriano anytime soon. That's a fantasy league trade, but I do like the humor of it! Of course, for all the excited fans of the Gomes/Nix platoon, we should wait that one out first...we keep winning regardless, so it's pretty exciting any way you look at it!

Bum