PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for some help

jfleur87
06-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey guys, so I'm doing a term paper in a stats class where I am testing the relevance of Winning percentage in terms of payroll, runs per game, runs given up per game, number of all stars, average age...so on, not important.

I got to thinking that process would be rather time consuming and was wondering how I'd gather that information.

Basically I'm looking for a MLB database where I could easily export stats into an excel file. Does anyone know of such a website?

Oh, and if anyone is curious about a stat that I could put into this regression equation feel free, I'm kinda curious about some obscure ones but would love suggestions.

Thanks for any help!

jfleur87
06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey, lo and behold the forum came through, thanks Rijo. If anyone happens to be an economist feel free to introduce yourself, lol. I got the numbers I was looking for, but I just started learning what they all really mean.

Anyways, I think I am too excited by this because it makes me want to be a statistician for the Reds. But if anyone else is interested, the variables I am using to determine the variance in Win Percentage are:

AVG OPS ERA QS (Quality Starts) AGE PAYROLL

I'm not entirely happy with that set of variables and I am still open to suggestions, also I want to trim it to maybe 4 or 5.

Well, I'll let ya know what I come up with after I meet with my Prof and he helps me understand the meaning behind the numbers.

The Voice of IH
06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
just a suggestion,

Maybe you can look into a specfic part of Reds team. Likethe Bull pen era and the wins the team has, or the 4-5-6 batter's AVG and the amount of runs scored,

Just a thought, it may be stupid, but it would not be the frist time this has happend ;)

jfleur87
06-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I think I might just do that, I'll let you know what I come up with. I am using data from all 30 teams from the year 2007, but once I finish the assignment I'll use your suggestions as a way to stay sharp, good ideas, maybe I'll send the results to Walt and open his eyes a bit.