PDA

View Full Version : Hal Mccoy: Joey Votto will not return when DL stint is up

Ghosts of 1990
06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/06/votto_wont_return_when_dl_time.html

Not good news on the Joey Votto front.
Manager Dusty Baker said before tonight’s game that it isn’t likely Votto will be back when his time on the 15-day DL is up on June 14 (a week from Sunday). Votto was at the ballpark, dressed in civvies, watching batting practice Friday, but is not doing anything as far as baseball is concerned. And there is no timetable as to when Votto might start doing that stuff.
“When he comes back, he’ll have to go out and do some minor-league rehab,” said Baker. “He ain’t The Natural, although he might be close to being natural. Wish I had more to tell you, but I don’t. All I can say is that he won’t be back when his 15 days on the DL are up.”

WILD THING
06-06-2009, 05:46 PM
The news on Joey keeps getting worse. I pray somehow we can stay in the thick of things until he makes his comeback. I also have to feel for Joey as a person. I really hope he's ok.

Redus
06-06-2009, 05:50 PM
holy crap....were cooked without him....doesnt sound good

Ghosts of 1990
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I knew from day 1 it was more then an inner ear infection. It was never that.

ochoa30
06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
the reds need help if they have any chance of staying around when and if votto comes back. We'll see how serious they are for contending. Im not sure mortgaging the future is a good idea for contention this year because i doubt we could win it all anyways.

FlyerFanatic
06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
time to put votto on the trade block, get some good prospects while his stock is high. kidding..kidding :)

Ghosts of 1990
06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
the reds need help if they have any chance of staying around when and if votto comes back. We'll see how serious they are for contending. Im not sure mortgaging the future is a good idea for contention this year because i doubt we could win it all anyways.

I don't know about winning it all, but they're not that far off from a playoff team. The pitching is too good to have a lot of losing streaks.

steig
06-06-2009, 09:14 PM
time to put votto on the trade block, get some good prospects while his stock is high. kidding..kidding :)

maybe you are kidding now, but seriously get him healthy and hitting again then trade him in the off season for a young starting pitcher to replace Harang, Owings, or Arroyo.

TheBigLebowski
06-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I am sick...I will be in attendance for every Reds vs. Nats game (Wife and I are vacationing there next week) and I really wanted to see Joey.

At this point, I just want to see some runs.

Roush's socks
06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Without Votto the Reds don't really have one consistent bat. Somehow they are playing more or less .500 baseball. Ramon Hernandez has made some nice defensive plays in the games I've seen.

Captain Hook
06-07-2009, 01:12 AM
If you would of told me before the season started that the team would have to play without Votto and with Bruce struggling the way he is for any extended period of time I would have said that EE will really have to carry the load.So when I consider that EE has been a non-factor this year I'm really not sure how were scorring any runs.If we can get Votto back anytime soon and get some other guys going we might be in business.

Lockdwn11
06-07-2009, 01:29 AM
I knew from day 1 it was more then an inner ear infection. It was never that.

Why do you say that?

DaytonDieHard
06-07-2009, 03:39 AM
This is what the Reds have posted on their website:
"Votto was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of what was termed by the club as "stress-related issues." No more details were revealed, at Votto's request.
"He's dealing with a personal issue," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He wants us to respect his privacy about that."
On May 21, after a battery of tests, the inner ear infection was revealed, but it apparently has less to do with Votto's current departure from the team than what was originally speculated.
"It's partly that. Let's leave it at that," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said.
"Whatever it is, we need to support him. This is like a member of your family. Right now, he needs their support and love and understanding something they might not even understand."
"It's basically something that Joey needs some time away to deal with," Jocketty said. "We gave him that time. It's not a big deal, but it's something that was affecting his ability to play at the level he wants to play at."
Read those quotes and then tell me again this is purely related to his previous illness. Jocketty said it is "partly that," as in, not entirely that, as in, there is something else. A "personal issue," to again quote the team. Dusty began a statement with "whatever it is." Does any of this remotely sound to you like something related to an inner-ear infection? It doesn't to me.

Caveat Emperor
06-07-2009, 04:02 AM
I know everyone's concerned about Votto -- but the team is obviously keeping this private for a reason, and Joey isn't speaking out about it either.

I think the best course of action is to respect Joey's wishes and keep the speculation to a mild roar.

DaytonDieHard
06-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.

~Abbott Joseph Liebling

DaytonDieHard
06-07-2009, 04:46 AM
The quickest way to end this would be for Joey to get back in the batter's box.

will5979
06-07-2009, 06:33 AM
The quickest way to end this would be for Joey to get back in the batter's box.

Amen...he needs to quit being a wuss, suck it up, and get back in the game!

Jerry Narron
06-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Some people are unreal.

JoeyGears76
06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Amen...he needs to quit being a wuss, suck it up, and get back in the game!

Wow... it's amazing how insensitive some people can be when it comes to the difficult times others are going through. I don't think anyone outside of a few individuals (Jocketty, Baker, Castellini) has any idea about the circumstances of Votto's need for time away from the game. So to degrade someone in this manner is so unnecessary.

A person's well-being (physical, mental, and emotional) is far more important than any stupid game.

FlyerFanatic
06-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Wow... it's amazing how insensitive some people can be when it comes to the difficult times others are going through. I don't think anyone outside of a few individuals (Jocketty, Baker, Castellini) has any idea about the circumstances of Votto's need for time away from the game. So to degrade someone in this manner is so unnecessary.

A person's well-being (physical, mental, and emotional) is far more important than any stupid game.

i'm not gonna say i agree with the post you're referring too. but without a clear explanation from the front office or votto you leave yourself open to these types of comments. the best hitter on this team, and a possible all star is sitting out with "stress". if its a death in the family or something, a simple statement that a family member has passed on would suffice. dont have to get into details about it.

RedlegJake
06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Closed. This will go nowhere fast. Start a new thread discussing the issue without calling people out.