PDA

View Full Version : Rick Peterson on MLB Network, says Volquez has bad mechanics

TC81190
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I was just watching the MLB network, and Harold Reynolds was discussing proper arm action with Rick Peterson. He demonstrated the difference between a safe arm action and one that is a risk for injury. He mentioned several pitchers from the past that were injured from using his example of bad arm action.

Harold Reynolds then specifically brings up Volquez as an example of a pitcher who uses the improper arm action, and Peterson agreed that he was a concern for injury.

Interesting stuff.

mroby85
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
That's kinda scary, I always thought he looked fairly smooth, but I obviously don't know as much about mechanics as analysts.

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
That's kinda scary, I always thought he looked fairly smooth, but I obviously don't know as much about mechanics as analysts.

i wouldnt make much from what analysts say either. look at some of the morons espn and such hire as "analysts" i would imagine if there was some serious mechanical flaws, soto would pick up on it...

TC81190
06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
MLB network is top notch stuff, they know what they're talking about. They're infinitely more knowledgable than ESPN analysts, and Peterson is a pitching coach.

The issue is that volquez leads his loading mechanic with his elbow, bringing above his shoulders, which as he goes through his stride, puts much more rotation on the shoulder. This was the issue with Mark Prior, they said, and it's not something that can really be corrected once you're in the majors.

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
MLB network is top notch stuff, they know what they're talking about. They're infinitely more knowledgable than ESPN analysts, and Peterson is a pitching coach.

The issue is that volquez leads his loading mechanic with his elbow, bringing above his shoulders, which as he goes through his stride, puts much more rotation on the shoulder. This was the issue with Mark Prior, they said, and it's not something that can really be corrected once you're in the majors.

I dont have MLB network...so dont get a chance to see it, I did like Reynolds while he was with ESPN...but still...so now we can all sit around and hold our breathes while we hope volquez hopefully doesnt blow out his arm?

Griffey012
06-10-2009, 12:02 AM
The real problem lies when you try and change the mechanics of these players with the so called awkward deliveries and arm motions then they are bound to get hurt. Throwing the ball like that thousands of thousands of time I would assume your shoulder area starts to adjust to that motion, and then you change it and your facing injuries.

Take an example of Ryan Wagner, I have heard that the Reds messed with his mechanics and look how his injuries came about. I would hope we don't try and change Volquez.

TC81190
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
The real problem lies when you try and change the mechanics of these players with the so called awkward deliveries and arm motions then they are bound to get hurt. Throwing the ball like that thousands of thousands of time I would assume your shoulder area starts to adjust to that motion, and then you change it and your facing injuries.

Take an example of Ryan Wagner, I have heard that the Reds messed with his mechanics and look how his injuries came about. I would hope we don't try and change Volquez.
That's probably what Peterson meant when he said it's not something you can really fix at the major league level.

It's also interesting because I believe the show was taped in the offseason, regarding the fact that Volquez is an injury risk. And behold, this season, Volquez has hit the DL once and has had other issues related to injury.

I think if I had all this in mind, I would be making up my mind if I thought the gamble that Volquez can stay healthy is worth it, or if I wanted to start exploring what his value is.

GIDP
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Volquez does have bad mechanics ...

texasdave
06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Volquez does have bad mechanics ...

..so then he should take his car somewhere else to have it fixed... :D

TC81190
08-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Looks like he was right.

Orodle
08-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Sometimes bad mechanics is what makes a pitcher deceptive and sometimes what contributes to the extra movement on pitches.....I mean how many pitchers have perfect mechanics but get hammered.

BigPoppa
08-01-2009, 06:40 PM
..so then he should take his car somewhere else to have it fixed... :D

G'night folks....take care of your waitress ! :D

Red in Atl
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
You don't have to go home...but you can't stay here! :)