PDA

View Full Version : Who are our top 3?

Captain Hook
06-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Lets just pretend on this thread that the Reds make the playoffs.Who would be our 3 starting pitchers?I think that Harang and Cueto are pretty sure bets.Right now I'd take Bronson over Volquez.What do you guys think?

JWP
06-11-2009, 02:15 AM
It depends on how well Volquez recovers from his injuries. Ideally, my top 3 would be Volquez, Harang, and Cueto, without a doubt.

davereds24
06-11-2009, 02:47 AM
The Reds won't make the playoffs without Volquez coming back and being better than Arroyo.

THEblindhomer
06-11-2009, 03:18 AM
any of you think that the cardinals have really fallen off. From what I hear Jocketty is sorely missed in STL. Their GM John Mozeliak is really causing an uproar in that city? Just thought of that after watching a piece on FSN about Walt losing his job in STL. Amzing we ended up with him and Dusty. It has renewed my spirits in this franchise.

Top three I would have to say Cueto, Volquez, Harang. These guys are the future of this team.

GOYA
06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I think I'd wait and see who is pitching well at the time. It might be nothing like it is now. Our #1 might be Homer for all we know currently.

ian_madden
06-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I like Maloney, Owings, and Massett. I think that all of our other pitchers will get hurt, and these guys will take the reigns and lead us to a playoff birth. We then sign them long term, and we become the Braves of the 90s. We go to the playoffs for an entire decade and only 1 championship.

No really, although I think that Cueto has the best stuff, Harang will be our number 1, because of his leadership and tenure with the team. Then Bronson, then Volquez. Although only Bronson has pitched in any type of pressure situation. I feel that Volquez and Cueto will be our 1 and 2 guys when we do make a run next year. Oh how it will be grand.

Newman4
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Cueto and Harang right now without question are #1 and #2. Volquez should fill in very nice when healthy as the #3.

Fullboat
06-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Arroyo has playoff exp. I would go with Cueto,Harang and Arroyo.Volquez can pitch in the next
series.

UC_Ken
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't go with a 3 man rotation. If you use a 3 man rotation you 1 and 2 starters would both pitch their 2nd games on 3 days rest. Our best pitcher under 6'0 and I don't want to pitch him on short rest with the season on the line. If we had a Sabbathia or a Beckett I'd do it but not with our staff.

markymark69
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
It depends on how well Volquez recovers from his injuries. Ideally, my top 3 would be Volquez, Harang, and Cueto, without a doubt.

I agree. If Volquez would not be available I would go with Arroyo, just because he's been there before. Experience in the post-season is valuable.

swaisuc
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't go with a 3 man rotation. If you use a 3 man rotation you 1 and 2 starters would both pitch their 2nd games on 3 days rest. Our best pitcher under 6'0 and I don't want to pitch him on short rest with the season on the line. If we had a Sabbathia or a Beckett I'd do it but not with our staff.

I'm with you. To answer the OP, I think Cueto, Harang, and Volquez are the top 3. I also think the dropoff is after our #4 so I have no problem going with a 4 man playoff rotation. Cueto, Harang, Volquez, Arroyo in that order for the playoffs. :thumbup:

Captain Hook
06-11-2009, 04:45 PM

I thought about that after I started the thread and have to say that I agree.It should also be considered that we do have 4 quality starters.The only exception I'd make is if Harang can really get it going and be hot going into the playoffs.I'd try to get him as many starts as possible.

Fon Duc Tow
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Right now it is Cueto, Harrang, and Arroyo.

Don't forget about Maloney though.

Ghosts of 1990
06-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Doesn't matter who the top 3 are because its a 4 man rotation in the playoffs. Right now, it'd have to be Cueto, Harang, Arroyo as a 'top 3' with Owings as the 4th starter.

DTCromer
06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I feel much more comfortable with Bronson than I do Aaron right now. Cueto has probably surpassed Aaron as our "Ace" but if we're lucky enough to get in, Aaron would probably start game 1.