PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of being so down on the offense, lets talk positive about the pitching

corwinator3407
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I am definitely a stat guy. Fangraphs.com and all of their stats is awesome. While I haven't been able to find a thread that really caught my interest, since most are taking shots at the offense, I thought a thread about the pitching could be enjoyable and cheer some people up.

The Redlegs are:
5th in the league in ERA (3.89)
5th in K/BB ratio (1.77)
5th in BAA (.248)
5th in WHIP (1.35)
1st in BABIP (.281)
4th in LOB& (.752)
9th in GB/FB (1.09)
2nd in win probability

Get this pitching staff a healthy Votto back, at .500 and only 2.5 games back, and I have faith.

I'll add player individual stats later if anyone shows interest.

JoeyGears76
06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm tired of the talk about the offense too. It's good to see someone posting a positive about this team. If you blindly read some of these other threads, you'd think the Reds were in dead last place.

corwinator3407
06-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I guess no one else is interested in talking about something good, though.

Shawn_RedsFan
06-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Once again another night of good pitching :):)

What about DRH tonight!! First win

WILD THING
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Once again another night of good pitching :):)

What about DRH tonight!! First win

It was great to see D-Ray get his first career win. He continues to make people look foolish with his breaking balls. I just hope the pitching can continue to impress once we get our ideal lineup in order (i.e. Edwin, Votto, and a productive Bruce).

Kingspoint
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Corwinator, read the "Let's Play 18" thread. It reminds one that a baseball season is very, very long. Everyone's going to have a bad hole or two. The REDS have only had one bad hole so far this season. They are teeing off tonight on the 8th hole. 5 wins over the next 9 games is a Birdie. String Birdies together and this team will stay in contention.

Here's the last post from the "Let's play 18" thread:

Well, we didn't get up-and-down on the 6th hole as we lost the final two games of that 9-game stretch giving us our 1st Bogey of the season (3W, 6L). On the 7th Hole, we started off well winning 3 of the 1st 4 games, but we knew we were in trouble when we couldn't even score runs against that abysmal Nationals pitching staff. We're so poor at scoring runs right now that we can't give any of our starters any wins any more. We sank a long putt for Par (4W,5L)on the 7th Hole when we opened the current series against Atlanta with a win. Votto's starting a rehab stint, EE's taking live batting practice again, and Volquez is throwing from 120 feet now, so if we can just get through this 8th hole (the next 9 games) with a Par (4W, 5L) or a birdie (5W, 4L), then we can go into the last hole on the front nine with everybody healthy for the first time in a long time and still be in position to have a great round by playing some very good golf on the back nine.

1st Hole....Birdie
2nd Hole....Birdie
3rd Hole.....Par
4th Hole....Eagle
5th Hole....Birdie
6th Hole....Bogey
7th Hole....Par

corwinator3407
06-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Kingspoint, I'll check that thread out with a closer look.

On another note, is there a better setup|setup|closer set than Rhodes, Weathers, Cordero? These guys come in and its over.

Kingspoint
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
They are really good. I looked at that lineup tonight before the game and I thought that the order of it should be reversed. Then the top-5 hitters go 0-15 to justify my thoughts while the bottom 4 get 4 runs and 4 RBI's and all of the hits.

Good thing we have the good bullpen as the top of the lineup that Dusty puts together continues to struggle. What would Hanigan hit if he actually saw some pitches instead of having the pitcher always hit behind him?