PDA

View Full Version : Some absolute jerks on the WLW rain delay program

BluegrassRedleg
06-16-2009, 09:19 PM
These people calling to say Joey Votto should "get over it" or "suck it up" or suggesting the Reds should try to get rid of him are really ticking me off tonight. They have no idea how serious anxiety and stress issues can be. It's an illness, just like anything else that might knock you out of work. And it can have deadly consequences. I have someone in my family who has been through it, and it's heart-breaking. I pray that Joey isn't dealing with anything as serious, but it could be.

People need to back off, hope for the best, and let this play out. The ignorance of some of these guys makes me ashamed to be a diehard sports fan.

Ghosts of 1990
06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I had really bad anxiety and it wrecked my life until I got it under control. It is one of the most scary and REAL things I've ever been through. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

Stormy Weathers
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I never said it once, but tbh at most jobs you will be canned if you can't perform. That is how most of those people are thinking. Now if you have a really nice job they will give you a medical leave, but you would have to spend a ton of money getting the medical attention needed to prove it and most people can't afford that.

TheBigLebowski
06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
You just can't listen to idiots like that. They have no idea what it means to truly be a fan of a player or a team.

FWIW, I also have struggles with anxiety. Not as bad as some but it did/does affect my life. Strange thing is, sports were always a great release for me but, when you're playing on this type of a stage, it can obviously have deleterious effects on your stress/anxiety rather than beneficial ones.

foxfire123
06-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I have some anxiety issues too, and these "suck it up" and get over it" guys can go suck it up a rope IMO. It's seriously debilitating--and mine is MILD/seasonal and related to another condition, not a full blown anxiety condition. <I'm female and over 40. 'nuf said on that....>

I feel for Joey, and hope he's getting whatever help he needs. If he comes back this season, gravy, if not then get the help he needs and we'll see him back better and stronger next year.

Captain Hook
06-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I just want Joey back in the lineup if he is able to play.There is nothing wrong with that imo.I admit that if Votto had a huge contract and wasn't just a 2nd year guy playing for what is probably close to league min. I could feel a little bit like the suck it up and play guys.The fact that the guy probably isn't the millionaire that some people think that he is and that he is being forced to carry the team when he is able to play he deserves some slack.

BluegrassRedleg
06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
^ Not to mention he was tearing the cover off the ball when this went down. Nobody wants Joey Votto back on the field more than Joey Votto.

Stormy Weathers
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
You are also listening to drunken rednecks because that is 95% of the people who call in to that stuff.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree completely. People think if its not physical, its not a big deal. It's actually a bigger deal IMO.

Plus Plus
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
These people who call in and talk about how Votto needs to "suck it up" are the same ones who call in and propose trades like "Arroyo, Rosales and Taveras to Marlins for Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson." I distinctly remember someone proposing a David Ross for Roger Clemens trade a few years back. These people are idiots.

As a sidenote, notice that a couple days ago, when the reds weren't losing in bunches and not scoring at all, that everyone was all for respecting Joey's privacy and hoping for him to get better soon. The Reds start losing, and everyone wants him to take a pill and get over it. Ridiculous.

The Bananaphone is almost as bad as listening to Bill Cunningham any more.

gilpdawg
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
I never said it once, but tbh at most jobs you will be canned if you can't perform. That is how most of those people are thinking. Now if you have a really nice job they will give you a medical leave, but you would have to spend a ton of money getting the medical attention needed to prove it and most people can't afford that.
Um, ever heard of FMLA? They have to give you time off if you're incapacitated in some way. It's the law.

And FWIW, Joey looked pretty happy in the dugout tonight. I still think it's just side effects from his labyrinthitis, which we KNOW he had, and we KNOW it causes panic attacks and dizziness and the like. I don't buy all the theories that he's depressed or what have you.

Moosie52
06-17-2009, 08:05 AM
It would be unpaid leave.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
These people who call in and talk about how Votto needs to "suck it up" are the same ones who call in and propose trades like "Arroyo, Rosales and Taveras to Marlins for Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson." I distinctly remember someone proposing a David Ross for Roger Clemens trade a few years back. These people are idiots.

I have those same people in my fantasy baseball league.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I dont know how some of you couldnt think the same way about Votto at times. A lot of guys couldnt say "stress related" and take off work for a month.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I dont know how some of you couldnt think the same way about Votto at times. A lot of guys couldnt say "stress related" and take off work for a month.

Mainly because most of us know that writing all this off as "work-related stress" is a severe understatement of the issue.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Mainly because most of us know that writing all this off as "work-related stress" is a severe understatement of the issue.

Is it? For all we know it came from an inner ear infection giving him problems. Of course if its not, then its also not the fans fault for thinking that considering they have been told nothing otherwise.

I think people complaining about Votto missing time are perfectly justified. Especially the comments about how they couldnt leave their job.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Is it? For all we know it came from an inner ear infection giving him problems. Of course if its not, then its also not the fans fault for thinking that considering they have been told nothing otherwise.

I think people complaining about Votto missing time are perfectly justified. Especially the comments about how they couldnt leave their job.

None of us really know what's going on. However, it is safe to assume it's something pretty serious as the Reds are paying Joey a lot of money to play this game and he's the best player on a team that looks like it might be able to contend although it sorely lacks offense right now. I just can't see the Reds just letting him sit in the dugout for weeks because he's upset about his stock portfolio or having a girlfriend dump him. Besides, if you or I were to miss significant time on our jobs, we'd need significant documentation to do it. I am sure the Reds have all the documentation they need and they just don't feel obligated to share it with us, which is their right (as well as JV's).

GIDP
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Listen we dont know whats going on but I just dont think its really all that out of line for fans to be upset with the situation or Votto.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Listen we dont know whats going on but I just dont think its really all that out of line for fans to be upset with the situation or Votto.

I want Joey back as soon as possible. Heck, so does my fantasy team. I just can't bring myself to be angry with him because I have no idea what's really going on but common sense tells me it must be a big deal.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I want Joey back as soon as possible. Heck, so does my fantasy team. I just can't bring myself to be angry with him because I have no idea what's really going on but common sense tells me it must be a big deal.

common sense also tells me that I couldnt leave a job over some stress, then just come back like it was no big deal.

Fon Duc Tow
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Bottom line is any non-union crap job will find a way to kick you to the curb if you can't work. And that is the demographic that calls in to those shows.

Votto's time off is paid, that's another thing that probably annoys people.

My feeling on the matter is simple. I just want his bat and glove back in the lineup. I don't really care about Joey Votto as a person, although I am sure he is a swell guy. I don't care about his stress, or ear infection, or whatever, any more than any other person I have never met . The Reds need his production.

As a sidenote, I had no idea anxiety was such a common illness. Almost everyone in this thread has had trouble with it. I wonder if the number of people affected has increased over the years. I wonder if it is still increasing. I just don't remember hearing about it in the 20th Century at all.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 12:57 PM
common sense also tells me that I couldnt leave a job over some stress, then just come back like it was no big deal.

I've already addressed this point. Guess we just have to leave it at that.

freestyle55
06-17-2009, 12:57 PM

It's not exactly like this is just "some job"...there are less than 1000 uniquely qualified individuals in the world that are good enough to fill this job, let alone do it at the level he does, and they have a union that's done a great job of securing rights for them.

when anyone who's complaining about "waaaa....I couldn't do this with my job" fits the same bill, then they MIGHT have a leg to stand on...

xavr1
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
It's not exactly like this is just "some job"...there are less than 1000 uniquely qualified individuals in the world that are good enough to fill this job, let alone do it at the level he does, and they have a union that's done a great job of securing rights for them.

when anyone who's complaining about "waaaa....I couldn't do this with my job" fits the same bill, then they MIGHT have a leg to stand on...

Agreed 100 percent. Great point. Anyone who expects a very highly skilled major league athlete to be treated the exact same as a low-to-mid-skill level non-union employee are living in a fantasy world.

Heres the difference: someone with an everyday job is EXPENDABLE, and will be expended if they slack off. Joey Votto is one of less than a hundred men in the world who can hit the baseball at his level. He is NOT EXPENDABLE, and is therefore given preferential treatment. Makes perfect sense to me.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I guess since hes one of a few major leaguers he shouldn't be held to the same standard as the people that support him. Dont get me wrong if the guy has problems its 1 thing but I certainly understand why fans are upset with him being out.

Votto and the Reds are doing him no favors in my eyes by just saying its stress related. Especially saying its stress related and given no indication its related to anything other than his frustration from an inner ear infection.

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I think the one thing that people who are using the "if we took this much time off of work..." line forget one thing: Votto is an athlete. For athletes to be effective, they need to be able to perform at their highest potential. He relies professionally on his body and his skills. If he can't be 100% or gets dizzy/heart racing at the plate, that affects him and the team.

WILD THING
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
I agree with BurgervilleBuck. With everything that Joey said was going on, he wasn't going to be able to perform at a level that would help the team. And for all the people that are saying "snap out of it" and things along those lines, its not that simple. It's not like Joey just woke up one day and said "I think I'm gonna let the stress of an All-Star caliber player that my team can't live without finally get to me today." Seeing him in a happy, joking mood in the dugout last night makes me think he's back on the right track. I can't imagine being in a situation where you're constantly getting tested for illnesses and a lot of uncertainty concerning your health. Dealing with all of that stress and uncertainty along with the fact that he wasn't there to help his team took its toll on him. I wish him the best and I hope he rakes down in Louisville for a week and comes back as the jump start we need to make a push in the NL Central.

Stormy Weathers
06-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Um, ever heard of FMLA? They have to give you time off if you're incapacitated in some way. It's the law.

And FWIW, Joey looked pretty happy in the dugout tonight. I still think it's just side effects from his labyrinthitis, which we KNOW he had, and we KNOW it causes panic attacks and dizziness and the like. I don't buy all the theories that he's depressed or what have you.

I know about it very well, you should research it more then get back to me.

It has nothing to do with his dizziness I can promise you that.

Shawn_RedsFan
06-17-2009, 04:10 PM
This is going to get locked...read the bulletins guys

WILD THING
06-17-2009, 04:30 PM
This is going to get locked...read the bulletins guys

The bulletin says rumors about Joey's health will not be tolerated. I'm not really sure that there are a lot of rumors being spread in this thread. Sure there is still a lot of uncertainty about the entire situation, but I haven't really seen much that would be considered rumors about his health.

On another related note, Red Reporter on Twitter has just said that John Fay was told by Joey that he will leave tonight to start his rehab stint.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-17-2009, 04:38 PM

A lot of guys couldn't get injured and take off work either. Same difference. A lot of guys couldn't completely suck at their job and still be guaranteed a huge paycheck, like say Eric Milton a few years ago, Corey Patterson last year, or Wily Taveras now.

Stop comparing what "your" job is versus baseball players. It's completely different. Stress, injury, or performance: they get paid. Stop singling out Votto as if he's getting special treatment.

Plus Plus
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
+1

GIDP
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
A lot of guys couldn't get injured and take off work either. Same difference. A lot of guys couldn't completely suck at their job and still be guaranteed a huge paycheck, like say Eric Milton a few years ago, Corey Patterson last year, or Wily Taveras now.

Stop comparing what "your" job is versus baseball players. It's completely different. Stress, injury, or performance: they get paid. Stop singling out Votto as if he's getting special treatment.

So lets say I was comparing it to my job, which I dont think I ever did, if I was getting paid a salary and was signed into a contract it would easy for me to take off for stress related issues?

Rockermann
06-17-2009, 05:54 PM
It's not the same as anyone's job. You can't compare it. It's not a job. It's a sport. If you wanted a 'job' like Votto's, along with all of the benefits, then you should have practiced more as a child. :)

GIDP
06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I guess stress is always a valid excuse to do bad or pull yourself out of games when it comes to baseball.

WILD THING
06-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I guess stress is always a valid excuse to do bad or pull yourself out of games when it comes to baseball.

It wasn't stress that was causing him to come out of the games. It was dizziness and a rapid heartbeat. Is there anyone here that wouldn't stop what they were doing in the yard or at work if all of the sudden you became dizzy, couldn't focus, and your heart was beating out of your chest? This isn't just directed at you GIDP, so don't think I'm singling your comment out. I'm just sick of people jumping all over Joey when he was obviously dealing with some serious stuff.

BluegrassRedleg
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM

I think we're all frustrated, but there's a difference in being frustrated by his absence (and its subsequent effect on the team) and being upset with him personally. These were just ugly, indefensible attacks on the guy. There's no excuse for that.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 06:39 PM
It wasn't stress that was causing him to come out of the games. It was dizziness and a rapid heartbeat. Is there anyone here that wouldn't stop what they were doing in the yard or at work if all of the sudden you became dizzy, couldn't focus, and your heart was beating out of your chest? This isn't just directed at you GIDP, so don't think I'm singling your comment out. I'm just sick of people jumping all over Joey when he was obviously dealing with some serious stuff.

So why did he go on the DL for Stress related issues then? I guess they just lied about what he was on the DL for then.

Like I said the reds are doing him no favors by making him out to be someone who cant handle stress, and cant handle it so bad that he had to quit playing for 2+ week.s

BluegrassRedleg
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Here's one of the main problems with the situation. You keep addressing it as if he's just "stressed out," like me trying to figure out how I'm going to balance the checkbook after having some unexpected expenses. They're not talking about "stress" in that regard IMO. The way they've treated it, this is is a serious mental/physical health issue. They're completely different things.

BluegrassRedleg
06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
So why did he go on the DL for Stress related issues then? I guess they just lied about what he was on the DL for then.

Like I said the reds are doing him no favors by making him out to be someone who cant handle stress, and cant handle it so bad that he had to quit playing for 2+ week.s

No, they didn't lie. That's the best way they can label it without violating the law. The stress-related issues manifest themselves in serious physical symptoms like dizziness, blurred vision, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, etc. I know someone who went through this. If it's the same thing Votto is dealing with, it can be debilitating.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Guys I understand what you all are saying im just trying to point out how others easily could feel that way. I also think its justified if you do think the way some other do.

The idea of someone playing baseball and bailing for "stress related issues" could really tick some fans off.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Once again, you didn't answer what I said. Would you be allowed to take time off for an injury? Most jobs, no, unless you have some tenure. Would you be entitled to keep your job and pay if you did horrible at your job? Heck no. Why continue to compare a "real life" job to a sport? They're not even remotely similar.

Let me ask, if Joey Votto had a strained groin and was out this long, would you say he was "bailing"?

Plus Plus
06-17-2009, 09:11 PM
The idea of someone playing baseball and bailing for "stress related issues" could really tick some fans off.

The thing is, these fans didn't care at all until the reds started showing their ineptitude at scoring runs. They were all in Joey's corner, wishing him well and hoping he could recover at his own leisure. Discussions on the radio were about how scary anxiety and stress issues can be, and how real they are.

Then the reds scored like 40 runs in 15 games, and got swept by the Royals sans Grienke and Meche.

Now Joey is a criminal who needs a prescription to prozac and a baby bottle. "Fans" call in regularly talking about how he needs to get over it and he is being a baby. The fact of the matter is that not only is the fanbase of the suck-in-recent-history Reds fickle, they are being represented poorly by the people who pay $.99/min or whatever it costs to be on the radio shows. To illustrate their intelligence level, a caller into Lance's show on WLW at 6 today proposed a Homer Bailey for Ryan Zimmerman straight up swap, and defended it staunchly.

The fact of the matter is that Votto's job cannot be compared to (almost) any person who is calling in to WLW or 1530-Homer, posting here, or listening/reading said media. He is in one of the most stubborn unions in the world, is one of the best in the world at his job (literally), and almost nobody seems to be able to grasp this fact on the radio. Baseball is not life or death, and I would hope that most true fans would want Joey to get better and be able to move forward, rather than compromise his career (potentially) by dealing with this incorrectly.

As a sidenote, there are a lot of reasons that this team is losing besides the absence of Votto. Ignoring the other problems that this team has simply because this one is more convenient to attack is, frankly, quite pathetic.

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM

So say the Reds disregarded everything about his health and they told Votto to buck up and stop whining. Next time he's at the plate he has another dizzy spell or his heart starts pounding... how is his ability to hit affected by that? Rather than focusing on the pitches, he's at the plate wondering what's wrong with him. Or take it to the extreme and Votto collapses.

If word got out that the Reds told Votto to play with those sort of symptoms, it would be a PR nightmare. Never mind that he's our star player, that the organization would treat *any* player like that would be inexcusable and fans would burn Castellini, Jocketty, and everyone else in effigy.

I don't mind that the Votto and the Reds took the cautious approach. Whatever the problem was, I hope it is sorted and he'll be 100%. I hope there are no setbacks, as well.

What bothers me is that certain fan mindset that thinks an organization or a player "owes" something to the fans. We aren't owed a thing. It's a conscious choice that we make (and we do make a choice) to take time & money and invest it all in the team. Baseball is a business and we all buy into the product through tickets, concessions, hats, t-shirts, etc. It's up to the Reds organization to, in good faith, reciprocate our investment to have a good product (game, game day experience, other intangibles) but they are by no means beholden to do so.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that we may think we deserve something from the Reds but, as outside spectators, we don't really deserve anything at all. They don't owe us explanations, Votto doesn't owe us explanations. Certainly, they want to keep fans informed but we are not "owed" anything.

Lockdwn11
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
No, they didn't lie. That's the best way they can label it without violating the law. The stress-related issues manifest themselves in serious physical symptoms like dizziness, blurred vision, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, etc. I know someone who went through this. If it's the same thing Votto is dealing with, it can be debilitating.

I think you have it backward Blue

Labyrinthitis better known as a Inner ear infection-

Chronic anxiety is a common side effect of labyrinthitis which can produce tremors, heart palpitations, panic attacks, derealization and depression. Often a panic attack is one of the first symptoms to occur as labyrinthitis begins. While dizziness can occur from extreme anxiety, labyrinthitis itself can precipitate a panic disorder. Three models have been proposed to explain the relationship between vestibular dysfunction and panic disorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_ear_infection

People are acting like Votto is having a hard time dealing with thing in his life and thats not it at all. His stress and all his trouble is do to his ear infection and people have to understand that it is illness and not the fact that he is some kind of sissy that is causing all of this.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
The fans arent owed anything and Votto isnt owed anything from the fans. If people think hes weak and needs to suck it up because stress is a lame excuse then I think thats perfectly fine also.

If they want to keep the fans in the dark then they need to expect fans to react certain ways esepcially given the info they have recieved.

Fans only know that Votto had to quit playing because he couldnt handle some stress. Its easily seen as a really weak thing.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Chronic anxiety is a common side effect of labyrinthitis which can produce tremors, heart palpitations, panic attacks, derealization and depression. Often a panic attack is one of the first symptoms to occur as labyrinthitis begins. While dizziness can occur from extreme anxiety, labyrinthitis itself can precipitate a panic disorder. Three models have been proposed to explain the relationship between vestibular dysfunction and panic disorder.

People are acting like Votto is having a hard time dealing with thing in his life and thats not it at all. His stress and all his trouble is do to his ear infection and people have to understand that it is illness and not the fact that he is some kind of sissy that is causing all of this.
That is what im trying to say, if it was related to the inner ear they would have saved Votto a bunch of trouble by saying it was inner ear. Instead they said it was stress and now it makes him look bad. Either its because of stress and he deserves to look bad, or they just made a huge mistake.

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Fans only know that Votto had to quit playing because he couldnt handle some stress. Its easily seen as a really weak thing.
Maybe for the fans with short term memory problems. But for those that remember the dizziness and the rapid heartbeat, it's not seen as a weak thing.

The truly weak thing is this whole argument. I'm done.

GIDP
06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe for the fans with short term memory problems. But for those that remember the dizziness and the rapid heartbeat, it's not seen as a weak thing.

The truly weak thing is this whole argument. I'm done.

He was supposedly passed that dizzy problem. Then he came back played well, then pulled himself out of a game and took off for 2 weeks.

mlh1981
06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Joey Votto, if he isn't mentally prepared to play, is only hurting the team by going out there and playing. Having millions of dollars and a great career doesn't guarantee a stress free life.

BluegrassRedleg
06-17-2009, 11:37 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the 4-1-1.

Ghosts of 1990
06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Joey Votto, if he isn't mentally prepared to play, is only hurting the team by going out there and playing. Having millions of dollars and a great career doesn't guarantee a stress free life.

Wow.... just wow.

He doesn't have millions of dollars yet.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Guys, just stop feeding the troll. I did. This is going nowhere.

GIDP
06-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Wow.... just wow.

He doesn't have millions of dollars yet.

Well I think he did get a 550k signing bonus way back when :) haha

LouisvilleCARDS
06-18-2009, 12:55 AM
The fans arent owed anything and Votto isnt owed anything from the fans. If people think hes weak and needs to suck it up because stress is a lame excuse then I think thats perfectly fine also.

If they want to keep the fans in the dark then they need to expect fans to react certain ways esepcially given the info they have recieved.

Its easily seen that way by ignorant people, yes. You're right.

JoeyGears76
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM

I'd hate to work for your employer. I bet they have a hard time keeping good employees.

GIDP
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I'd hate to work for your employer. I bet they have a hard time keeping good employees.

Yea because good employees abruptly have to quit working for a month because of "stress".

Like I said the reds botched the way this was handled when communicating what is going on with Votto. Instead they set him up in a way for people to get annoyed and upset with him. Votto probably had a part in it also because he didnt talk or want anyone to talk about it. In other cases with Willis, and Greinke the fans were at least given some info on what was going on. In this case the fans were just left in the dark and yes I find it pretty easy that people think his excuse for not playing is a joke and I completely understand if people want to trade him.

bounty37h
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM

There are medical rights acts that wont allow you to be fired for a medical condition, or at least are supposed to prevent htat from happening, whether it really happens is another story.

bounty37h
06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Guys I understand what you all are saying im just trying to point out how others easily could feel that way. I also think its justified if you do think the way some other do.

Well those fans are more then welcome, and at this point IMO invited, to quit following the team, stop going to games, and stop posting on the boards then if it bothers them and effects their lives so much-take their own stress leave of absense if you will.....

xavr1
06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I completely understand if people want to trade him.

Who wants to trade him? Do you? I havent heard anyone mention that option which, lets be serious, is absolutely ridiculous.

JoeyGears76
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Yea because good employees abruptly have to quit working for a month because of "stress".

Any employee can take time off work for any reason as long as they have a doctor saying they need to be off work for medical reasons, physical or mental. That doesn't necessarily make them a bad employee. Employers who understand this are usually able to attract higher talented, more productive employees. Talk to any Human Resources expert and you'll find out one of the quickest ways to demoralize your entire workforce is to show insensitivity towards the personal problems of your employees.

GIDP
06-18-2009, 10:48 AM
How productive can you be if you have to quit working for a month because of stress anyways.

JoeyGears76
06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
How productive can you be if you have to quit working for a month because of stress anyways.

A lot more productive than you'd be if you didn't take that month off.

GIDP
06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm sure if you take 30% of your work year off because of stress no one will talk bad about you or no one will even care.

The point is Joey is on the DL for stress. They didnt help his cause by saying it was stress. Stress is an everyday thing, and people deal with stress all day long at their jobs. If you didnt expect people to say suck it up and stop being a sissy I dont know what to say.

Blame the reds and Votto for the reds fans perception of Joey, not the fans.

markymark69
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM

This might be the best response that I have heard or read since this whole deal began.

Plus Plus
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm sure if you take 30% of your work year off because of stress no one will talk bad about you or no one will even care.

The point is Joey is on the DL for stress. They didnt help his cause by saying it was stress. Stress is an everyday thing, and people deal with stress all day long at their jobs. If you didnt expect people to say suck it up and stop being a sissy I dont know what to say.

The flaw in logic here is that you have to have medical clearance in order to be placed on the DL in MLB. You don't go up to your GM or manager or owner and say "I am stressed out please put me on the DL." This is a medically diagnosed condition, akin to depression or anxiety disorders. Implying that Joey is taking this off "just" for normal everyday stress is ignorant and small-minded.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Blame people like yourself for not understanding that it could be a mental illness issue. I seriously doubt the guy took off just because he got mud on his cleats or put too much oil on his glove. You make it seem like nothing. You realize his father died last year right? What if he's depressed? What if he's having family problems? Obviously stress is a word being used there as a generic term instead of depression or anxiety or whatever he has, because its none of anyones BUSINESS what he has. Blame yourself for not realizing it.

And once he comes back and tears it up, don't act like your biggest fan or are glad for him or anything after your little tirade here against him. No one will buy it, because you couldn't care less what happens to the guy.

WILD THING
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Blame people like yourself for not understanding that it could be a mental illness issue. I seriously doubt the guy took off just because he got mud on his cleats or put too much oil on his glove. You make it seem like nothing. You realize his father died last year right? What if he's depressed? What if he's having family problems? Obviously stress is a word being used there as a generic term instead of depression or anxiety or whatever he has, because its none of anyones BUSINESS what he has. Blame yourself for not realizing it.

And once he comes back and tears it up, don't act like your biggest fan or are glad for him or anything after your little tirade here against him. No one will buy it, because you couldn't care less what happens to the guy.

:clap::owned::clap:

JoeyGears76
06-18-2009, 06:18 PM

The vast majority of the Reds fans support Joey and don't feel like they are owed any explanation. It's only a close minded few that are making a big deal over it. :rolleyes:

GIDP
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM

I guess im heartless to understand why people can be angry with votto.