PDA

View Full Version : Willy T last night

xavr1
06-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Went 0-4 from the leadoff position, and only saw TEN total pitches in his ABs. Thats gettin it done, huh?

Redsnake
06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
That's 2 for the last 45 AB. Nice job Dusty!! Let him work things out and get back on track while this team continues to struggle scoring runs.

Redsnake
06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
What even worse is the 2 SB and 2 runs scored during that same stretch.

Caveman Techie
06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
The worst part is, he had the misplayed ball in the outfield that turned a single into a triple. Luckily Owings was able to work his way out of it without allowing the run to score.

redsfanmia
06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
:deadhorse

REDSEER
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I understand that we gave Taveras a two-year contract to play centerfield and leadoff....but at what point does Dusty put his superior defensive centerfielder who gets on base at a .364 clip (Dickerson) in the outfield; at least against righties? Dickerson has shown himself to be a superior player to Taveras in the limited time that he has gotten in center field, as can be seen by his 3.58 RF/9 [9*(PO+A)/Innings Played] compared to Taveras' 2.92 RF/9.

In fact, Dickerson has the top RF/9 among centerfielders who have played 100 innings or more in CF. Tony Gwynn Jr. is 2nd with a 3.40. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2009-specialpos_cf-fielding.shtml)

Until he proves that he can't handle it, Dickerson should be leading off for the Reds.

flash
06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
The worst part is, he had the misplayed ball in the outfield that turned a single into a triple. Luckily Owings was able to work his way out of it without allowing the run to score.

Just how did he misplay it. I'm not defending him because misplaying balls is a habit with him. Did he miss on a dive or a shoe-string catch or did he totally screw up?

REDSEER
06-18-2009, 11:14 AM
He took a bad angle to a one-hopper in the left-center gap. He left himself with an awkward hop and let the ball get by him and go to the wall.

Edd Roush
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM

It's not a deadhorse until he's gone. I seriously can't believe that he's in there with a .600 OPS when Stubbs is lighting the world on fire in AAA and plays plus-plus defense.

BTW, Taveras-Gonzalez lead-off tandem again for the Reds' today. Woof

WILD THING
06-18-2009, 11:26 AM
BTW, Taveras-Gonzalez lead-off tandem again for the Reds' today. Woof

I still don't understand that. Every time I see Gonzo in the #2 spot I cringe. Looks like we'll be saved from seeing that 1-2 punch at the top of the lineup today though.. I don't see how they'll get this game in.

WILD THING
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Unless they just keep delaying the game and end up turning it into a late afternoon/early evening game.

mivers176
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm sick of guys getting the playing time b/c of their paycheck and not their performance.

Edd Roush
06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm sick of guys getting the playing time b/c of their paycheck and not their performance.

I'm right there with you. How long until Walt forces Dusty to pull the plug?

GIDP
06-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Walt was the one who wanted Taveras so bad he even tried to trade for him.

I think the plug starts way before Dusty.

Captain Hook
06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Walt was the one who wanted Taveras so bad he even tried to trade for him.

I think the plug starts way before Dusty.

Maybe so but Walt has put together a decent team imo. Until it comes out that he is forcing Dusty to put our 2 worse hitters excluding some of our pitchers in the 1 and 2 hole I have to blame Dusty.What could he possibly be hoping to accomplish?As bad as Taveras is he could be very useful coming off the bench to pinch run or lay down a bunt.Spot starts here and there would be the most I'd want to see him get.As far as Gonzo goes I'd be ok with him if we could prove that Janish is no better.He would have to actually play for that to happen though.I thought that Dusty prided himself on playing everyone to keep them sharp?If we had a premier SS I could understand Janish's disapearence but we don't.Actually Gonzo struggles pretty bad at the plate(in case Dusty didn't notice).

As far as what Dusty should do.Just about anything would be better but Dickerson leading off with Hanigang batting second would be ideal imo.When Votto and EE gets back I would really consider Phillips leading off as long as he can keep his obp around .350 and have Dickerson follow.

One more thing I'd like to complain about with Dusty even before he does it.When Votto is back Hanigan is sure to disappear again for weeks at a time.He should at least split time with Hernandez but I can't see Dusty ever letting that happen.

I have been very patient with Dusty but as of today I'm not a big fan.I'm sure most of you would ask "what took so long".

Fon Duc Tow
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
WT = 1 for his last 45.

I mean really... it has to stop now.

xavr1
06-18-2009, 06:43 PM
WT = 1 for his last 45.

I mean really... it has to stop now.

Not only that, but his miserable ABs are coming at very critical moments. It seems like he has blown 3 or 4 ABs in just the last couple games with at least 2 men on.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM

The guy is the worst full-time player in MLB right now. Are you suggesting we simply just stop discussing him?

Plus Plus
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Taveras is a black hole of ineptitude for the Reds right now, no matter how you look at it. He is not getting on base. He is not playing good defense. He is not providing quality at bats. Heck, even his outs aren't doing anything useful. This guy is beyond pathetic and it is illustrating more with every day that he will be a reason that the team will not be able to contend come September, even more than Votto's prolonged absence.

Fon Duc Tow
06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe the boos need to start every time he comes to the plate?

Would be counter-productive in the short term, but Dusty just doesn't seem to be getting the message.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2009, 10:27 PM
As much as he's getting paid, it's simply not fair to do that. He's trying. He's just woefully inept and overpaid. Regardless of how bad he is playing, he does not need to be booed. We're all Reds fans and he plays for the Reds, regretfully. If we want the Reds to win, we need to cheer for the guy. Who knows..maybe the positivity will help. I have never understood why fans feel that booing their own team/players will elicit any positive results.

freestyle55
06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Just to show the depths to which Willy has sunk, I present to you Willy Taveras's last 23 games...since the 14 game hitting streak ended

8-93, 1 2B, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 19 K, 3 SB, 2 CS, .090 BA, .112 OBP, .097 SLG, .209 OPS

His average has dropped 103 points, his OBP has dropped 112 points, his slugging 139 points...

Current stats
47-215, 7 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 14 BB, 34 K, 13 SB, 3 CS, .219 BA, .270 OBP, .274 SLG, .545 OPS

freestyle55
06-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Maybe the boos need to start every time he comes to the plate?

Would be counter-productive in the short term, but Dusty just doesn't seem to be getting the message.

No, the better thing would be to boo every time Dusty comes out of the dugout, or when he's announced at the stadium...

GIDP
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I think Chris Dickerson would have to go 0-60 now to put up the numbers Willy has right now.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Its gotten ridiculous. I see now why so many fans dislike Dusty, its because of stuff like this. He's a "players" manager. This kind of dogged stubbornness on a player would be fine if they were actually GOOD. If this was Barry Larkin doing this, then fine, let him battle it out. I'm just so sick of this team shooting itself in the foot by setting the lineup according to payroll and not who the best player is at the position. If he keeps this up another week, there needs to be serious considerations to make him have a permanent seat on the bench.