PDA

View Full Version : Talking Reds Baseball

LetsGoReds11
06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Will The Reds Make A Move....If So...Who Will The Reds Trade and Get.....My thoughts are the Reds just can't afford to add Holliday and not be able to sign him...Ty Wiggington makes sense as we tried to go after him before the season started I believe...Wiggington wouldn't cost a whole lot to get

Talkin' Reds Baseball
By Drew Silva [June 29 at 8:38pm CST]
Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer believes the Reds need to make a "bold" move to stay in contention, but doesn't think it will necessarily happen.

"The Reds chances of trading for Matt Holliday are slim and none," Daugherty begins, "and slim just left for the church festival. ... Holliday would cost the Reds precious prospects and some $7 million in salary for the rest of the year. The chances of him remaining a Red next year wouldn't be good. ... There aren't a lot of reasons even to contemplate it."

Except one: "It's a bold move. Without boldness, the Reds will never catch the Cubs, Cards and Brewers."

Walt Jocketty, the current GM in Cincinnati, has made bold moves throughout his front-office career (click here for his full trading history), but he's used to a bigger payroll than the Reds can offer. Even if they are "buyers" in this market, Holliday is probably a bit of a stretch. That doesn't mean it's time to give up on the '09 season, however. There are plenty of fish in the hot stove sea. It's clear the Reds want a bat -- who, besides Holliday, makes sense?[/B][/B]

Jones1
06-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Have you seen Wigingtons career stats? No thanks! Heres some guys that would help and not break the bank that i'd target from the Orioles. Luke Scott and Aubrey Huff.

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I think Huff is a pretty nice fit actually. A guy that can spell both third and first and if I remember correctly has played some corner outfield in his career as well.

In GABP he might be a pretty nice left handed addition to go with Votto and Bruce.

Righties

1. Dickerson CF
2. Hairston SS
3. Votto 1B
4. Huff LF
5. Phillips 2B
6. Bruce RF
7. EE 3B
8. Hernandez/Hanigan C
9. Pitcher

Pretty good line up against righties in my opinion. It could be better if Dusty would ever hit Phillips second.

Lefties

1. Taveras CF
2. Hairston SS
3. Votto 1B
4. Phillips 2B
5. Huff/Gomes LF
6. EE 3B
7. Bruce RF
8. Hernandez/ Hanigan C
9. Pitcher

Solid except for Taveras at the top.

tobttr
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I seriuosly doubt that they will make any moves, much less a "bold" one. The wait-till-next-year attitude is so pervasive in Cincy that I think we'll try to tough it out hoping that EE comes back & produces, that Bruce will start hitting again, that Arroyo will get some people out, that Taveras will get on base, that...[fill in the blank with the most optimistic statements you can think of].
Now I know we're still less than 1/2way through the season, but this division can be won. But I agree that for the Reds to do it, it will take a different roster.

Jones1
06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I think Huff is a pretty nice fit actually. A guy that can spell both third and first and if I remember correctly has played some corner outfield in his career as well.

In GABP he might be a pretty nice left handed addition to go with Votto and Bruce.

Righties

1. Dickerson CF
2. Hairston SS
3. Votto 1B
4. Huff LF
5. Phillips 2B
6. Bruce RF
7. EE 3B
8. Hernandez/Hanigan C
9. Pitcher

Pretty good line up against righties in my opinion. It could be better if Dusty would ever hit Phillips second.

Lefties

1. Taveras CF
2. Hairston SS
3. Votto 1B
4. Phillips 2B
5. Huff/Gomes LF
6. EE 3B
7. Bruce RF
8. Hernandez/ Hanigan C
9. Pitcher

Solid except for Taveras at the top.

Agreed, Huff can play all over the field much like Derosa. He's played 1st 3rd left and right field. Unlike Derosa he wont take as much to acquire. He's a free agent next season and his price tag won't be high at all.

To give a little insight to Huff's career for those that don't know him. In his 8 and a half year career. He's hit over 20 HR's 6 times. He also has a 286 lifetime BA in that span, hitting over 300 in four of those seasons. This guy would be perfect to acquire without giving up a whole lot and can play all over the field in case of another injury or dl stint to EE or Votto.

As of right now he's playing fairly well in 276 ab's he's hitting 275 with 10 hr's and 52 rbi's. His OBP is 360 and his OPS is right around 800.

Mark Derosa who? Get it done Walt, We can get this guy for next to nothing!

Aubrey Huff's Career Stats
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/huffau01.shtml?redir

urdun
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Want a SS, here's one probably available. Would you want him though?

Cox won’t say when Escobar will return to lineup
By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shortstop Yunel Escobar was out of the lineup for the second consecutive game Saturday, and the official reason given by the Braves was a strained hip flexor that has bothered him off and on for the past month.

While no one doubted that Escobar was hurt, the consensus in and around the Braves clubhouse was that he would have played Saturday if it were up to him.

It was not up to him.

Manager Bobby Cox declined to comment, but the Braves are frustrated by Escobar’s immature behavior. Most recently, he mouthed an expletive toward the scorekeeper in the press box after being charged with an error in Thursday’s loss to the Yankees, an incident caught by the TV cameras on the game broadcast.

Escobar, 26, pouted in the aftermath of that play and appeared uninterested for the rest of the inning. Bench coach Chino Cadahia laid into him between innings, letting him know that the behavior was unacceptable.

Escobar played the rest of the game, but hasn’t played since. Cox wouldn’t say when he will be back in the lineup.

The Braves are unquestionably a lesser team without Escobar, a .300 career hitter with 88 extra-base hits (22 homers) and a .367 on-base percentage in 292 games since reaching the majors in June 2007.

He has batted .292 with seven homers and 39 RBIs this season, including .307 with 12 RBIs in his past 17 games. But he also has had some costly lapses in concentration and five errors in that 17-game span.