PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Return?

mroby85
06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Fay said Edwin may be activated for tonights game, but I haven't seen anything official about it. Does anyone know anything one way or the other?

Red in Atl
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Nothing for sure, but Fay today said Friday at the earliest after talking to Walt.

I'd leave him down there until he is truly hitting, 0-3 last night, especially after his April. It's not like his bat is going to explode upon arrival.

Rockermann
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
He's not in the lineup for the Bats (who are playing right now on the MLB channel). So, there is that... but it's probably just a rest day after a night game.

Captain Hook
06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Reds lineup vs. the D-Backs; Encarnacion status
Posted by JohnFay at 6/30/2009 3:29 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com
Willy Taveras cf
Jerry Hairston 3b
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Laynce Nix lf
Ramon Hernandez c
Jay Bruce rf
Paul Janish ss
Bronson Arroyo p

vs. RH Dan Haren

I got a couple of e-mails from people watching the Bats broadcast saying Edwin Encarnacion is not with the Bats. Obviously, he's not in the lineup for the Reds, either. We can't get into the clubhouse until 3:40. So I can't confirm if he's here or not. No transaction has been announced.

UPDATE: Encarnacion is not listed with extra men on the lineup card. And I haven't seen him.

Looks like we'll have to wait until Fri.

defender
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't know why Fay would have bad info, but EE is also not listed on the Bats bench.

davereds24
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
ugh, no EE, no dickerson, no hanigan :(

Captain Hook
06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Dickerson not playing against a RHP and EE is nowhere to be found.Wonder if something is about to happen?

Jefferson24
06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
ugh, no EE, no dickerson, no hanigan :(

no chance of winning either

mattfeet
06-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Dickerson not playing against a RHP and EE is nowhere to be found.Wonder if something is about to happen?

I sure hope so, assuming it's a worthwhile trade. Although Im not a huge fan of losing Dickerson although Ill let it go if a Holliday trade is truly imminent.

-Matt

Rockermann
06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Fay tweets that Edwin was supposed to play today (AAA I'm assuming) and is trying to find out why he didn't. Here's hoping he's not hurt again.

TheBigLebowski
06-30-2009, 05:01 PM

Well, other than an 0-5 night from Tavares, I doubt it.

xavr1
06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Fay tweets that Edwin was supposed to play today (AAA I'm assuming) and is trying to find out why he didn't. Here's hoping he's not hurt again.

Wouldnt be the least bit surprised. I'm not holding my breath on EE until I see him play at least half a season. I think those of us who are pinning this season's hopes on him are in for a sore disappointment.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
no chance of winning either

Certainly not with Arroyo pitching...he's sure to give up at least 5 runs.

travisgrimes
06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
a trade may be going down at we speak stay tuned

GIDP
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
We cant get Edwin up here soon enough if you ask me.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 09:29 PM

I hope it involves Willy T, Arroyo, or a Baker to be named later.

Captain Hook
06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I hope it involves Willy T, Arroyo, or a Baker to be named later.

Me to.

That a lot to give up but if we could get a top flight slugger I'd throw Gonzo in there to just to get the deal done.

Plus Plus
06-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Taveras, Arroyo, Baker and Gonzalez to Marlins for Hanley Ramirez

My trade proposal.

xavr1
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

You know something we dont?

nemesis
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
You know something we dont?

He might. Any trade taking on payroll has to be cleared through Bob. That might be the holdup... (coughhintcough)

texasdave
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I believe that players can only play in 10 rehab games. Edwin has played in 9 already. One more EdE start and I would imagine he has to be brought up. Unless they are going to have him sit in Louisville and work out with the team. I don't know. He has OPSed nearly .900 since he began his rehab stint. Bring him and let him play. That appears to be better than anything the Reds are currently trotting out to the 3rd base position.

Rockermann
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I believe that players can only play in 10 rehab games...

It's actually a 20 day max on a rehab assignment. I've only heard it referred to in 'days' so I'm not sure what happens when he gets a game off while on rehab.

OesterPoster
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I believe that players can only play in 10 rehab games. Edwin has played in 9 already. One more EdE start and I would imagine he has to be brought up. Unless they are going to have him sit in Louisville and work out with the team. I don't know. He has OPSed nearly .900 since he began his rehab stint. Bring him and let him play. That appears to be better than anything the Reds are currently trotting out to the 3rd base position.

I think the question is whether or not he's ready defensively (or as ready as EEE ever could be). Before the day off, didn't he DH for a couple games?

defender
07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I doubt they would bring Sutton up, if EE is going to be back Friday.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I doubt they would bring Sutton up, if EE is going to be back Friday.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Sutton was brought up because he's a better option than Richar or Hairston (or several others actually) and he's ready for Major League Pitching. There's nothing more for Sutton to learn in AAA. He's had 3000 minor league at-bats and a boat-load of College experience.

EE will be brought up next and Richar sent back down.

Kingspoint
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Good stuff from ORG:

Posted by JohnFay at 7/2/2009 6:22 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Danny Richar was pinch-hit for in the ninth inning because he was too sore to swing the bat. He hurt himself sliding into home last night.

I'd not sure how serious the injury is -- I've got a call into Walt Jocketty -- but you've got to wonder if this could hasten Edwin Encarnacion's return.

They wouldn't want to play short against the Cardinals, would they?

I'll update if I hear back from Jocketty.

Encarnacion was playing for Louisville against Indianapolis. He started the night 0-for-2.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

From Fay:

Just talked to Walt Jocketty. Had to step anyway from my dinner at a fancy Italian place do so (Boudinot LaRosa's).

Richar will have an MRI tomorrow. "We really won't know until then," Jocketty said.

If Richar has to go on the DL, it could hasten Edwin Encarnacion's return from his minor league rehab.

"It might," Jocketty said.

That's not Plan A.

"We want him to get as many at-bats as he can down there," Jocketty said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Captain Hook
07-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Edwin at least has a reputation around the league as a guy that has some power and is a offensive threat.What we are throwing out there now has no reputation and isn't producing.Mangers going up against the Reds are surely telling their staff to really go after how ever it is playing 3rd.A threat in the lineup even if they are rusty is still a threat and can make a coach think a little more then just saying go get him.Even if EE isn't 100% ready to because of rust I'd say get him out there.I wouldn't want to rush him if there was a chance of hurting himself.I look forward to the day that we actually have a major league 3b playing everyday.

davereds24
07-03-2009, 01:23 AM
he needs to be ready when he comes up. if not we will see another slump and that isn't good for the kid. he will press and it will lead to bad things.

no reason to rush him up with the break coming up soon. have him be 100% for the brewers series.

Captain Hook
07-03-2009, 01:30 AM
he needs to be ready when he comes up. if not we will see another slump and that isn't good for the kid. he will press and it will lead to bad things.

no reason to rush him up with the break coming up soon. have him be 100% for the brewers series.

I kinda agree and about said the same thing but ended up going a complete different way.While EE is still young he has been around a while.Also there is nothing that can be done to avoid slumps with Edwin.With him they are just going to happen.If a slump was going to ruin EE he would have been out of baseball a long time ago.But there is that wonderful month or 2 out of every season that makes most of us forget about how terrible he can be.Its getting to be that time of year again so I say if he is healthy enough to play AAA then he is healthy enough to play for the Reds.

Kingspoint
07-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Quit babying people.

EE's not a 2-year old you have to coddle.

So, what if he has a slump. The only way you learn to get through them is to get through them.

Hairston is in a permanent slump. It's called, "I am Jerry Hairston, Jr.", and I'm a .700 OPS career player on the very, very downside of my career."

EE's worst season he will ever come up with will be better than Hairston's career norms.