PDA

View Full Version : Funny pic: Welcome to Pittsburgh City of Champions ...and the priates

robmadden1
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
http://thumbnails15.imagebam.com/4080/b6926540793444.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b6926540793444/)

bounty37h
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Haha, that is funny, but makes me wonder what they would put up outside Cincy

will5979
07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Haha, that is funny, but makes me wonder what they would put up outside Cincy

Well believe it or not the Reds are one of the premier traditional teams in baseball.

So it would say...

Welcome to Cincy, Home of the Big Red Machine, the Nasty Boys, ... and the Bungles!

mlh1981
07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm a transplanted Reds fan living in Pittsburgh. They have a nice core of fans here. Small, but very loyal. It's a much less suffocating fanbase than that of the bandwagon dominated Steelers and Penguins.

mroby85
07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I would find this a lot funnier if I didn't hate the steelers so much, but it's still pretty funny, lol.

goreds2
07-14-2009, 04:38 AM
&&& Here We Go &&&

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/135745806_1b76cf3c59.jpg?v=0

gosteelers2

will5979
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Actually that sign doesn;t make much sense considering the Pirates do have 5 World Championships making them another premier franchise in MLB.

Fon Duc Tow
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Well believe it or not the Reds are one of the premier traditional teams in baseball.

So it would say...

Welcome to Cincy, Home of the Big Red Machine, the Nasty Boys, ... and the Bungles!

lol "The nasty boys"...wasn't that 1988 or something? :D

nineworldseries
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Actually that sign doesn;t make much sense considering the Pirates do have 5 World Championships making them another premier franchise in MLB.

I was just going to post the same thing.

GoGoWhiteSox
07-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Nearly 20 years without a winning season will make people forget all about that.

mlh1981
07-14-2009, 07:45 PM
&&& Here We Go &&&

gosteelers2

:censored:

NastyBoy
07-15-2009, 01:50 AM
The best comeback EVAR to a Pittsburgh Steelers fan... (and this really did happen in a bar) throwing the six superbowl in my face.

Me: At least I don't ever have to worry about the Reds finishing in last place.

Fan: Puzzled look... Why is that?

Me: Because they play in the same division as the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Fan: Well, I don't follow the Pirates.

NastyBoy
07-15-2009, 01:56 AM
&&& Here We Go &&&

gosteelers2

That was probably painted after the 5th superbowl.

Original Bengal Bus...

I am guessing you never have hung out with the owners wife or have been invited to the owners suite.

http://projects.springfieldnewssun.com/cache/galleries/photos/819231/

MJA
07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
That's from the Dave Dameshek 710 ESPN page I believe, radio host who has a great podcast I listen to every day. He's a Steeler, Penguin and Pirate fan who lives in LA.

bounty37h
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The best comeback EVAR to a Pittsburgh Steelers fan... (and this really did happen in a bar) throwing the six superbowl in my face.

Me: At least I don't ever have to worry about the Reds finishing in last place.

Fan: Puzzled look... Why is that?

Me: Because they play in the same division as the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Fan: Well, I don't follow the Pirates.

Psssst, dont tell, but the Steelers are football, pirates are baseball (or at least a close variaotin I guess). Not a good comeback at all, not even close.

MJA
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Psssst, dont tell, but the Steelers are football, pirates are baseball (or at least a close variaotin I guess). Not a good comeback at all, not even close.

Plus you have the salary discrepancy issue in baseball, in football all the teams are on a somewhat leveled playing field. If they suck, it's because the players, coaches and management.

will5979
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I am a meathead. Thanks for letting me live on this board and ignore my wife and children..yea!!!

NastyBoy
07-16-2009, 08:29 AM

The comment was direct towards Pittsburgh professional teams as a whole.

Context... I was wearing Reds gear, so he assumed I was a bengals fan as well.

He was from Pittsburgh, so I assumed he was a Pirates fan, so I turned it around on him. It turns out only follows the WINNING team in pittsburgh. A true fan. Its easy to follow a WINNING team. Its hard following a losing team, just ask us red fans.

bounty37h
07-16-2009, 08:54 AM

He was from Pittsburgh, so I assumed he was a Pirates fan, so I turned it around on him. It turns out only follows the WINNING team in pittsburgh. A true fan. Its easy to follow a WINNING team. Its hard following a losing team, just ask us red fans.

Was just messing with ya, I made my commment as I am a Steelers fan in football, and Reds fan for bball. Yeah, I know, weird combination, but not bandwagon; my family is from Ohio, moved around, and lived in Pittsburgh right before I was born (I was born and raised in NC-never lived in either place). I was raised in Steelers gear before I even knew what the Steelers or football were, became a Reds fan after I learned the game-my dad was a Tigers fan and got me collecting cards, suggested I pick a fav team-pref old with history, to learn the game and history through them, and Cincy seemed like the logical choice as I loved Bench.

will5979
07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
What it all boils down to is that until there is a new baseball commissioner teams like Cincy and Pitt will NEVER be able to compete. Bud Selig is the biggest ******bag to ever happen to baseball.

will5979
07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Cincy seemed like the logical choice as I loved Bench.

From your signature I assume you are also a Tar Heels fan. That was a great Car Care Bowl in Charlotte last year wasn't it?

bounty37h
07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
From your signature I assume you are also a Tar Heels fan. That was a great Car Care Bowl in Charlotte last year wasn't it?

Hey Will-Yeah, I was born in CH, and dad worked there, so yea, I am as big-if not bigger due to location and access-Heels fan then Reds. That was a good game, I really enjoyed it (other then outcome of course), and have to say I thought the WVU crowd was great! Did you go?

mlh1981
07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
What it all boils down to is that until there is a new baseball commissioner teams like Cincy and Pitt will NEVER be able to compete. Bud Selig is the biggest ******bag to ever happen to baseball.

Then how come teams like Milwaukee and Minnesota compete year after year?

will5979
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Will-Yeah, I was born in CH, and dad worked there, so yea, I am as big-if not bigger due to location and access-Heels fan then Reds. That was a good game, I really enjoyed it (other then outcome of course), and have to say I thought the WVU crowd was great! Did you go?

Yeah, was one of the better college football games I ever attended. Both sides of fans acted with respect and appreciated a well played game. Even if WVU would have lost I would have had to say that I enjoyed that game. Loved it how it was a shootout in the 1st half and how if boiled down to great D in the 2nd. We had a great time in Charlotte as well even though we came early that morning and left right after the game. Hopefully WVU will return to that bowl cause it makes for a nive one day road trip to see good football.

will5979
07-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Screw them, they are not traditional powerhouses like Cincy and Pitt. Because of their tradition both franchises need owners that will allow them to win and compete...it just ain't fair. And yes Bud Selig is the biggest ******bag to have ever entered MLB.

bounty37h
07-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Did you just start watching baseball last year???

bounty37h
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah, was one of the better college football games I ever attended. Both sides of fans acted with respect and appreciated a well played game. Even if WVU would have lost I would have had to say that I enjoyed that game. Loved it how it was a shootout in the 1st half and how if boiled down to great D in the 2nd. We had a great time in Charlotte as well even though we came early that morning and left right after the game. Hopefully WVU will return to that bowl cause it makes for a nive one day road trip to see good football.

It was an exciting shootout, good star plays on both sides, each team had the right to walk off the field with heads high, even if dissapointed. Many UNC fans were just happy to be there after the losing seasons we have had in fball, but I think we will be a pretty good team soon. I like the CarCare bowl as well for the reasons you mentioned, close and good day trip if need be, but I am hoping we get to experience bigger bowls in upcoming seasons :). I would also like to see a home and home series started wth WVU, it was a fun crowd. Good luck to your "neers this upcoming season!

will5979
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Good luck to your "neers this upcoming season!

Thanks man, and best of luck to the Heels as well. Keep beating Puke in basketball I have a cousin that is a huge Puke fan and he annoys the crap out of me.

The Voice of IH
07-17-2009, 06:05 PM

LOL, i agree, I read some where on here where the guys sig says "reds fans that where not around to remember the Big Red Machine are ture troopers"

and I was born in 92, boy can anyone tell me what playoffs fell like???

will5979
07-18-2009, 09:12 AM
and I was born in 92, boy can anyone tell me what playoffs fell like???

I was born in 79, obviously I wasn't aware the Reds made the playoffs that year until I was older!

One of the things I remember about the regular season was talking to my Dad about how great it as that the Reds came out of the gate hot in April and won their first nine games. Playoffs in 90 were great, still remember it like it was yesterday, I was in attendance at game 1, 2, and 6. Still remember Riverfront going INSANE when we won the pennant, fans were throwing all kinds of foreign objects on the field; cups, hats, umbrellas, etc. And Cincy was a downright partytown on that Friday night. I didn't get to attend the World Series but I watched it at my Pappaw's house and I remember sitting on his couch when Benzenger caught the final out. My best friend and I were the biggest Reds fans in the school, and yes we were fans before the Series, being from southern WV you live in Reds country, there is no other team you should cheer for cause the Big Red Machine, Pete Rose, and Johnny Bench are still considered royality around these parts. Anytime I wear my Rose jersey I get at least 5 people commenting on it. It was VERY fun to torture all the stupid bandwagon A's fans. Would be nice to see something like that again to maybe torture all the stupid bandwagon Red Sox fans.

In 1995 it was a fun year. We had a good team in 94 only to see it go up in smoke cause of the stike. Then luckily I was in attendance for the NLDS against the Dodgers. Hideo Nomo was so hyped that year and he pitched the game. Our offense rocked him, Gant hit a 2 run HR early and Mark Lewis hit a pinch hit Grand Slam to really put it away. I can remember Peter Gammons predicting us to beat Atlanta in the NLCS, but our offense laid a goose egg against Braves pitching and were swept, I have never gotten over that and have HATED Atlanta ever since, once again I had to deal with stupid bandwagon fans. Its amazing how everyone around here are Reds fans except the young punks. The only bandwagon that did not hit this area was the Yankees for some odd reason. I would rather deal with a Yankees bandwagon fan anyday than a Red Sox or anyone else.

IN 1999 the regular season was just magical, all you can say. I wasn't really that heartbroken by the loss to the Mets considering how we blew it that weekend against the Brewers. After that Friday and Saturday night loss I knew the team had ran its course, I just knew the playoff game was going to be in vain. But that offseason was so much fun. We traded for former MVP Dante Bichette, and then got Jr. Griffey. Every Reds fan I knew were ready to make hotel reservation for late October in Cincy, but unfortunately it was the begining of the end of a once proud, successful franchise.

This decade has been pure torture for some ungodly reason. Idiot ownership that has/had no desire whatsoever to win. It makes you miss the 80s and 90s. Ownership then did what they could to field a winner. Say what you will about Marge Schott, she fielded a World Series winner, she didn't care to pay free agents, something these dumbs owners needs a lesson on.

I really feel like an old fart. I have NO emotional connection to these jokers whatsoever, in fact I feel that Votto will high tail it out of Cincy first chance he gets, I can see it on his face. I get all gussy and sentimental when I hear names like Pete Rose, Buddy Bell, Eric Davis, Dave Parker, Barry Larkin, Kal Daniels, Mario Soto, Jose Rijo, Paul O'Neil, Tom Browning, Mariano Duncan, Joe Oliver, the Nasty Boys, Kevin Mitchell, Deion Sanders, Bret Boone, Aaron Boone, Pokey Reese, Pete Schourek, and Dmitri Young.

BlastFurnace
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm a transplanted Reds fan living in Pittsburgh. They have a nice core of fans here. Small, but very loyal. It's a much less suffocating fanbase than that of the bandwagon dominated Steelers and Penguins.

Bandwagon Steeler fans....give me a break. Arguably, they are one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. You don't draw on the road like they do if they are bandwagoners. Steeler fans have taken over two different Super Bowl stadiums in the past 4 years. Bandwagon fanbases don't do that.

Bengal fans are just jealous of the success the Steelers have had over the years. I would be too if my team only had 1 winning season in the past 19 years.

I have been a Reds fan and a Steelers fan since 1975 when I began following sports when I was 8. I know loyal fans from both teams that have stuck through the terrible 80's of the Steelers and the Reds terrible run of teams from 1996 forward. Real fans stick with their teams through the good and bad years.

NastyBoy
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Bandwagon Steeler fans....give me a break. Arguably, they are one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. You don't draw on the road like they do if they are bandwagoners. Steeler fans have taken over two different Super Bowl stadiums in the past 4 years. Bandwagon fanbases don't do that.

Bengal fans are just jealous of the success the Steelers have had over the years. I would be too if my team only had 1 winning season in the past 19 years.

I have been a Reds fan and a Steelers fan since 1975 when I began following sports when I was 8. I know loyal fans from both teams that have stuck through the terrible 80's of the Steelers and the Reds terrible run of teams from 1996 forward. Real fans stick with their teams through the good and bad years.

Lets see...by your own admission started following the Steelers and Reds at the same time both teams won championship in 1975. Sounds a little like a bandwagoner fan to me.

The Steelers are named after a declining industry. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason the Steelers draw so well on the road is because so much of Pittsburgh's population and the Steelers fanbase of the 1970's and 80's has had to move away to find jobs?

Bengals or Reds fans are not jealous of the Steelers or Pirates... it just that some of us remember what is like to play in the superbowl or win world series and want to go get there a there again. I really have no issues with the Pittsburgh Steelers, it is only with their asshat fans.

Revering4Blue
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Lets see...by your own admission started following the Steelers and Reds at the same time both teams won championship in 1975. Sounds a little like a bandwagoner fan to me.

Wrong.

You are only a bandwagoner fan if you jump off the proverbial bandwagon just as many so-called Bulls fans did following the departures of Jordan, Pippen and company.

will5979
07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I really have no issues with the Pittsburgh Steelers, it is only with their asshat fans.

Steeler fans doesn't bother me as much as Red Sox, Indians, Cubs or Braves fans, different sport but still the epitamy of a ******bag=Red Sox fan.

BlastFurnace
07-19-2009, 02:02 PM

The Steelers are named after a declining industry. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason the Steelers draw so well on the road is because so much of Pittsburgh's population and the Steelers fanbase of the 1970's and 80's has had to move away to find jobs?

Bengals or Reds fans are not jealous of the Steelers or Pirates... it just that some of us remember what is like to play in the superbowl or win world series and want to go get there a there again. I really have no issues with the Pittsburgh Steelers, it is only with their asshat fans.

Nice try, but you're not correct. I was 8 years old when I became a fan of both teams and I have never quit being a fan of either team. If you're going to accuse an 8 year old of being a bandwagon fan, then you need to rethink your definition. I grew up in Centerville, Ohio...listened to Marty and Joe the entire time I lived there. I followed the Steelers through the good times, the terrible 80's, and during the resurgence of the franchise when Cowher took over.

Who cares if the Steelers are named after a declining industry. The Bengals are named after an endangered species. What difference does that make when following a franchise?

The Cincinnati franchises have had the worst ownership in all of sports for nearly 20 years, but that doesn't stop me from being a Reds fan.

The Steelers have their share of bad fans, but so does every other franchise. My only issue with the statement I commented on earlier is to say that most of us are bandwagon fans. I meet long time Steelers fans everywhere I go. Growing up in Ohio, I met just as many obnoxious Bengal and Browns fans as I met Steelers fans.

Orodle
07-19-2009, 05:21 PM
I find it very hard to call Pittsburgh fans bandwagon fans, Bengal fans yes.... but not Pittsburgh fans. Even though Pittsburgh games are very low in attendence you will still find more people wearing Pirate apparel around the city than you would find Reds gear in Cincinnati.

NastyBoy
07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I said sounds "a little like a bandwagon fan", in that person becomes a fan after a success or implied success. Winning Superbowl and World Series qualifies as such success.

Ofcourse, it was when my grandfather was taking Reds games during the 70's that I became a Reds fan, so I am a bandwagon fan as well... i just never jumped off.

What kind of bandwagon fan are you? LOL

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/bandwagon/080620

BlastFurnace
07-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I said sounds "a little like a bandwagon fan", in that person becomes a fan after a success or implied success. Winning Superbowl and World Series qualifies as such success.

Ofcourse, it was when my grandfather was taking Reds games during the 70's that I became a Reds fan, so I am a bandwagon fan as well... i just never jumped off.

What kind of bandwagon fan are you? LOL

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/bandwagon/080620

I became a fan of the Reds and Steelers at the age of 8 in 1975. I have never changed my allegiance to either team. I became a fan of both teams because of two guys I liked to watch play....Swann for the Steelers and Rose for the Reds. Both teams just happened to both win championships that year. Over time, the team you follow becomes bigger than the player that plays for them. That's what happened to me in both cases. I'm just thankful that the Steelers have the type of ownership that knows how to put a consistently winning product on the field. Unfortunately, the Reds don't have a clue.

mlh1981
07-19-2009, 11:12 PM

I see the way this city has all of a sudden jumped on the bandwagon of the Penguins since they have gotten good. This city will NOT support a loser, because they did it to the Pens, and they are currently doing it to the Pirates. The Steelers haven't recently had an extended run of futility, but people will NOT put up with a bad product. In other words (even though I HATE the Browns), I just can't see them sticking with them the way Cleveland football fans do with that team.

Probably all a moot point, though, since the Steelers, as currently constructed, will probably dominate for years. WINNING creates the fanbase, though. The Steelers aren't loved just because they just so happen to be the professional football team here. People love them because they WIN.

anyway.........yeah. Go Reds!

bounty37h
07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks man, and best of luck to the Heels as well. Keep beating Puke in basketball I have a cousin that is a huge Puke fan and he annoys the crap out of me.

You can submit any person in that is a dook fan and the wording "annoys the crap out of me" is likely to follow :)