PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting carried away?

Mutaman
07-03-2009, 01:45 AM
One of the greatest ballplayers I've ever seen was George Brett. I particularly admired his ability to come through when it counted and carry his team. (I swear the guy hit .500 with a zillion Home Runs against the Yankees.)

I'm starting to compare Joey to Brett. Am I being premature? Am I getting carried away?

Captain Hook
07-03-2009, 02:15 AM
I couldn't remember too much about Brett.Just looking at his stats I would guess that Joey can do a little better then his .305 average and 315 HRs. I'm sure I saw Brett in the late 80s and early 90s toward the end of his career but can't remember enough to say if he reminds me of Joey.

Since things were a little fuzzy trying to remember Brett I decided to Google him and found more stuff about a story he told that was caught on tape then I did his career.The language is pretty harsh but the story is very funny.There was a lot of this out there so I'd guess most of you have seen it.

Had a link up but thought I should delete it.I'm sure it can easily be found if you want to see it.If you can't find it PM me and I'll get you the link.It's definitely good for a laugh.

BluegrassRedleg
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Probably a little premature, but he's a huge talent.

For those too young to remember Brett, he was an enormous talent. Those numbers during his era of stronger pitching and bigger parks were outstanding. I remember rooting like crazy for him to hit .400 the year he finished just shy of it. He could also run the bases and throw the glove around pretty well when he was younger. Great, great ballplayer.

redhawkfish
07-03-2009, 07:34 AM
George Brett is my favorite non-Red of all time.

bgwilly31
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
couldnt this have gone in the i love joey votto thread.

gedred69
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Votto can be great, (still early). Brett [B]was[B] great. Multiple batting titles, better than avg. 3rd baseman in his younger years, decent power, HOF on his 1st ballot. I believe he is the only player to win a Batting title in 3 different decades, so add longevity to all the afore-mentioned accolades. If Votto can be comparable, there's a World Series Championship in the future.

Mutaman
07-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Although Brett's stats are HOF caliber (,Brett is one of four players in MLB history to accumulate 3,000 hits, 300 home runs, and a career .300 batting average with the others being Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial), what made him stand out for me was the way he performed when the money was on the line. Brett is far and away the best post season player I've ever seen, he carried an undermanned KC team on his back in post season play.

I think Votto may have the same talent. Look at the way he's performed in these last two big games. And like Brett he takes what they give him.