PDA

View Full Version : Per MLBTR... Escobar to be traded by end of month

nemesis
07-03-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/braves-rumors-vazquez-escobar.html

I really hope we are in this derby. I know the Red Sox will be front and foremost after him. I think as far as Minor Leauge prospects go noone should be off limits to aquire him.

TheBigLebowski
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't say "no one" should be off-limits...I like Escobar and all but he's not worth emptying the farm for. Besides..if the Red Sox are bidding against us, I'm sure we'll lose. They don't have to worry near as much about sacrificing their minor league depth as they have the cash to simply buy players at positions of need each season.

TheBigLebowski
07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
One more thought to consider - we NEVER win trades with Atlanta. I know Schuerholz is gone now and Wren is in power, but I just don't get good feelings about potential deals with that franchise.

nemesis
07-03-2009, 06:02 PM
What about aquiring him and Francour for Roenicke, Viola, Wood, Cozart and Francisco? Francour has OBP problems but he does hit for a ton or power and does stablize the LF situation and Escobar gives us a great 2 hole hitter.

Dickerson
Escobar
Votto
Phillips
Encarnacion
Bruce
Francour
Hanigan/Hernandez

Plus Plus
07-03-2009, 06:04 PM
What do the Reds have to give up to get him? Atlanta doesn't need pitching, and are probably looking for some sort of a big bopper in the lineup. Not sure who fits that description in the Reds' tradeables besides Alonso, Frazier, Heisey, and the untouchable Bruce/Votto.

I might be wrong though!

schmidty622
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
They don't have the firepower to get him. They want a major league ready bat. Reds have like one.

Plus Plus
07-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I think the Reds have the firepower to get him, it's more a matter of if the firepower demanded is affordable.

The Reds can't afford to unload the entire farm system, whereas other teams can. It will take some slick dealing to acquire Escobar without taking a large-scale gamble or trading away a proven MLB player.

texasdave
07-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Do the Braves have a major-league ready SS in their system. If not, I am curious as to why they would be willing to trade away an asset that is in such short supply. It is going to be a hefty price tag.

Plus Plus
07-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Word is that the management has soured on Escobar and if this is true, they are looking to get a return on a very valuable commodity. Might end up being a smart idea, trading Escobar for serious talent and then filling the SS hole with a waiver pickup.

GIDP
07-03-2009, 06:36 PM
too obvious of a target, and likely too expensive of one.

Hondo
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Gosh, Escobar is nice but you guys are talking like he is Beltran or something...

Wait, Beltran got John Buck and Mark Teahan... World Beaters!

GIDP
07-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Gosh, Escobar is nice but you guys are talking like he is Beltran or something...

Wait, Beltran got John Buck and Mark Teahan... World Beaters!

Beltran was a FA to be.