PDA

View Full Version : Bruce 2nd?

bleedsred
07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Why not bat Bruce 2nd in front of Votto...I know 2 lefties in a row...but Votto hits both RHP and LHP very well. Bruce would more than likely see better pitches and could be more patient. I think hitting him so low in the order, teams don't have to pitch to him. It makes more sense to me than watching JHJ or WT hitting second.

1. Dickerson/ WT
2. Bruce
3. Votto
4. Phillips
5. Nix/ Gomes
6. Hanigan/ Hernandez
7. EE
8. Pitcher
9. JHJ/ Janish.....more RBI potential for Bruce/Votto...it works for STL/MIL

GIDP
07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Bakermetrics states that every lefty struggles against lefties. Bakermetrics also states that 2 lefties in a row is bad because of the previously stated metric.

CincyRed44
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't think it's going to matter where Bruce hits in the line-up. The book on him is already written pitchers will continue to throw to that scouting report until he proves he can first recognize an OFF-SPEED anything and it's location, then if he will ever be able to hit it along with not trying to jerk everything out of the park.

TheBigLebowski
07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Bakermetrics states that every lefty struggles against lefties. Bakermetrics also states that 2 lefties in a row is bad because of the previously stated metric.

Another Bakermetric revelant to this topic:

Shortstop hits 2nd, dude.

sivman17
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
yeah, didn't bruce do pretty well last year in the 2nd spot? i was wondering why he hasn't been batting 2nd this year

steig
07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Another Bakermetric revelant to this topic:

Shortstop hits 2nd, dude.

So if you play Bruce at shortstop then would Baker bat him second? He probably would be just as good as Hairston at SS.

TheBigLebowski
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
So if you play Bruce at shortstop then would Baker bat him second? He probably would be just as good as Hairston at SS.

Yeah. According to Bakermetrics, if he's playing SS, he hits 2nd. I don't know of any corrolaries that would prevent him from hitting 2nd simply because Bruce is not a natural SS.

DTCromer
07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned "because you don't bat a .216 hitter in the 2 hole.

Captain Hook
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned "because you don't bat a .216 hitter in the 2 hole.

Dusty does.But your right even though Bruce would be a better option then Gonzo and not much worse then Taveras or Hairson.

DTCromer
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Dusty does.But your right even though Bruce would be a better option then Gonzo and not much worse then Taveras or Hairson.

As bad as Taveras is, he's still hitting 25 points higher than Jay, but 100 points worse in bad luck department.

Captain Hook
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure but I believe Bruce's obp is high then Willy T. but I'm not looking.None of them should bat any higher then 7th.

GIDP
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
As bad as Taveras is, he's still hitting 25 points higher than Jay, but 100 points worse in bad luck department.

and 20 points less of OBP and 160 points less in slugging. Those 2 stats im sure you are able to understand.

CySeymour
07-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I've advocated having either Votto or Phillips hitting second, with the other hitting third. That way, they get more at bats, and both bat in the first inning. You know, your two best hitters hitting more often. Yeah, it would be beyond Dusty.

GIDP
07-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Id think about batting edwin 2nd actually. Dusty already stated that he likes to have a guy struggling hitting in front of votto, just going off what he did with Gonzo, and now Taveras I think it makes perfect sense in Dusty world. Lets see if he does it..

texasdave
07-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Dusty already stated that he likes to have a guy struggling hitting in front of votto.

Because you want to have as few baserunners as possible on when your team's best hitter comes to the plate. Good thinking.

GIDP
07-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Because you want to have as few baserunners as possible on when your team's best hitter comes to the plate. Good thinking.

It certainly doesnt help putting bad hitters in front of Votto but it can help a hitter. Having 2 terrible OB guys in front of Votto is just inexcusable though :(

texasdave
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Gonzalez batted in the 2-hole six times this season. Votto was on the DL at the time. But that is neither here nor there.

Here is a more important point. Since Joey Votto bats third the three lineup spots immediately preceding him are the 9-1-2 spots. Their respective OBPs are .271, .280 and
.307. Why would you want your best hitter to be coming up with nobody on in front of him all the time? If you put Votto in the three spot to drive in runs, would it make sense to have the people in front of him get on base so that they can driven in?

bleedsred
07-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Baker reads Redszone...Bruce batting 2nd in front of Votto....I don't get why Hernandez and Gomes are 5th and 7th, would think those guys would be flipped in the lineup the way Gomes has been swinging the bat

bleedsred
07-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Prediction: Bruce goes 3-5...single, double, and a HR with 2 RBI and 2 runs scored.