PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn doesn't hustle?

big boy
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Read this (http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/im_not_one_to_complain_about_players_not_hustling_ but/) if you forgot what watching Adam Dunn was like.

I’m not one to complain about players not hustling, but…
By mgl, 10:18 PM

I was watching the Nats game tonight. In the top of the 7th with the Nats down one run, Dunn hits a line drive to the wall in right field. He jogs down to first base, the ball ricochets off the wall and comes all the way back toward the infield. Dunn jogs into second base. Anyone - and I mean anyone - would have had a triple easily. Seriously, it was not even close.

Then with runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs, the batter hits a comebacker and Dunn gets picked off of third base, clearly a base running error (although I think that the pitcher could have turned a DP and Dunn would not have scored - a better result of course). Dunn walks back into the dugout and one of the coaches gives him a “that’s OK, buddy” pat on the back.

This guy gets paid millions of dollars to entertain and try and win games for the fans and the fans pay good money to see the Nats at least attempt to win a few games. As it is, the Nats suck. Shouldn’t they be trying really hard to win close games and shouldn’t the coaches not be condoning such lazy and disrespectful (to the fans) behavior?

GIDP
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
What a shocker.

jimbo
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
How many times have we seen Brandon Phillips do the same thing? Why does he get a free pass? :rolleyes:

BigJohn
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Chicks dig the LONG BALL!!!!!!!!!!!:)

GBC Red
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
This right here is one reason I was glad to see him gone and would not want him back. Home runs are nice, but strikeouts, bad fielding, and lack of hustle are not.

Slyder
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
This right here is one reason I was glad to see him gone and would not want him back. Home runs are nice, but strikeouts, bad fielding, and lack of hustle are not.

He's been gone this season and how many times have we seen defense fail, stupidity on the bases, and weak groundouts/pop flies? Some people I swear believe Dunn was the root of all that was wrong with this team.

CySeymour
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

And don't forget those base clogging walks! :rolleyes:

bleedsred
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Dunn is with the Nats now, this is almost getting to be like stalking an ex-girlfriend...just let her/ him go....LOL

GBC Red
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Slyder, I know he wasn't the root of all the problems, but he definitely was not one of my favorites.

BigKlu, I'm not from the Dusty Baker school of base clogging walks, it is the other area of Dunn's game I give him props for. He may be able to take a walk or hit a dinger, but he is not an elite player, I'm sorry he's just not.

krm1580
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
How many times have we seen Brandon Phillips do the same thing? Why does he get a free pass? :rolleyes:

Its funny you say that. Last night I was watching the Phillies broadcast and the were ripping him when he muffed that groundball by Utley and then made no effort to go after it which allowed Utley to go to second. Favorable home scoring ruled it a double, but it should have been an error.

texasdave
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Next thing you know somebody is gonna post that the sun rises in the East.

Old NDN
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Phillips is an inigma to me. He is/can be a very productive offensive force and a gold glove performer (unlike Dunn). But OTOH, his sometimes lackadaisical play, indifferent attitude, and "hot dog" actions drive me nuts. I guess it's just an old school thing for me.

CySeymour
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
BigKlu, I'm not from the Dusty Baker school of base clogging walks, it is the other area of Dunn's game I give him props for. He may be able to take a walk or hit a dinger, but he is not an elite player, I'm sorry he's just not.

I wouldn't call him elite, either. But other than that, we will have to agree to disagree, which is cool

ochre
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
You all should move this discussion to nationalszone.com.