PDA

View Full Version : Reds looking at Atkins?

Az. Reds Fan
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I know this subject has been brought up before, maybe there is some merit to it...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/2009/07/09/reds-express-interest-in-atkins/

Reds express interest in Atkins
by Troy Renck on July 9, 2009

DENVER — The Reds have talked to the Rockies about acquiring Garrett Atkins while the Red Sox’s interest is waning, multiple sources said today. The Reds have liked Atkins since last winter when they considered a swap for Atkins and Yorvit Torrealba.

The complication comes over money. Atkins is owed roughly $3.4 million for the remainder of this season. For the Rockies to receive a reliever back in the deal like Nick Masset, they would have to eat some of his contract since Masset is making only $418,000. A closer salary match could be found with David Weathers — he has roughly $1.6 million left — but it’s unclear if he’s available.

As reported in The Post earlier this week, the Red Sox have talked with the Rockies about Atkins. They need to be prepared to get a bat if Mike Lowell (hip injury) is out longterm. They have bullpen depth that makes Takashi Saito expendable. But in talking to people familar with their thinking, their interest level in Atkins seems minimal. It’s hard to see the Rockies sending Atkins to Boston in a deal unless it involves Manny Delcarmen. These teams have so much bad blood in botched trades, Boston remains a longshot.

It’s worth keeping an eye on Seattle and St. Louis regarding Atkins. Miguel Batista would be a salary match with the Mariners. St. Louis is prepared to make a push for Roy Halladay so their focus is elsewhere based on published reports.

Also, I continue to hear buzz that the Giants are prepared to make a strong play for the Pirates’ Freddy Sanchez. The teams have previously discussed Jonathan Sanchez for Freddy Sanchez. There has been chatter about the Rockies going after Freddy Sanchez in a deal involving Eric Young Jr. That makes no sense. If the Rockies go after a Pirate, it would likely be a reliever like Matt Capps.

GIDP
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
where would he play?

Jr's Boy
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Where he has played,at third.Edwin will be an afterthought if Atkins becomes a Red.

GIDP
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Where he has played,at third.Edwin will be an afterthought if Atkins becomes a Red.

If you guys hate Edwin you will certainly hate Atkins.

redsfanmia
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Masset is nasty I would not deal him.

Kingspoint
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
If you guys hate Edwin you will certainly hate Atkins.

No kidding.

Atkins' AVG, OBP, and SLG have all gone down each of the past 4 years to where it's Taverasesque now. It's not like he's only had a Spring-Training full of at-bats like EE this year. Atkins has played full-time piling up 260 plate appearances with Willy T's identical results: .224/.300/.332/.662

He's going to be 30 in December and is sliding fast on the downside of his career.

Absolutely stupid idea of even thinking about acquiring him.

I don't believe the reports. I don't think Walt is that stupid.

Unless there's something mentally wrong with EE, or the organization just can't' stand his personality, there are less than a handful of players who could play 3rd Base better for the REDS in 2009 and 2010.

If someone disputes that, name these players, provide the proof that they would be better in 2009, and the willingness of their club to give them up.

texasdave
07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Absolutely stupid idea of even thinking about acquiring him.

I don't believe the reports. I don't think Walt is that stupid.

I didn't think Walt was dumb enough to go after Willy Taveras in the winter despite the rumors. But I look out into centerfield night after night and see I was wrong.

Kingspoint
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I didn't think Walt was dumb enough to go after Willy Taveras in the winter despite the rumors. But I look out into centerfield night after night and see I was wrong.

I don't think Walt makes all of the decisions on this team.

Dusty has a huge influence over Castellini. Krivsky, despite his statement, never would have hired Dusty. Baker is the opposite of Krivsky in every way.

Would we really have Jerry Hairston and Corey Patterson on our team the last two years if it wasn't for Baker? There was another Cub, but I forgot who that was.

CesarGeronimo
07-09-2009, 06:38 PM
The question to ask, I think, is whether Dusty wants Garrett Adkins. If he does, it may happen.

GIDP
07-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Dusty has a huge influence over Castellini. Krivsky, despite his statement, never would have hired Dusty. Baker is the opposite of Krivsky in every way.

Would we really have Jerry Hairston and Corey Patterson on our team the last two years if it wasn't for Baker? There was another Cub, but I forgot who that was.
Bako

CesarGeronimo
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Funny, you posted this as I was writing a post with the same idea. You explained it better, of course.

sivman17
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
i don't see why everyone hates edwin so much. he has power. he has a bat, something half this team doesn't

BluegrassRedleg
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Atkins w/o Coors = waste of time

Brandon4MVP
07-09-2009, 11:41 PM
From John Fay:
Just spoke to someone from the Reds about the Garrett Atkins report from the Denver Post.

Sounds like the Rockies called to see if the Reds were interested. They aren't for two reasons: a) Atkins is owed $3.4 million for the rest of the year; b) he plays first or third.

The Reds might added salary for the right guy, like they were with Mark DeRosa. But Atkins is hitting .226 with six homers and 25 RBI and isn't as versatile at DeRosa. Atkins is also a free agent after the season.

The Reds have enough depth in the bullpen to move a reliever. But the chances of trading Nick Masset are about zero.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a69ba47f0-e410-40ea-a5be-eb2775e14dcd&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

gilpdawg
07-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Atkins is not very good. Pass.