PDA

View Full Version : 1988 All Star Game in Cincinnati

HalMorrisRules
07-10-2009, 05:28 PM
It is being broadcast in its entirety right now on MLB Network. I caught it right in the middle but for those who want to record it from the beginning, MLB Network is showing it again Saturday the 18th at 3PM. My DVR is already set.

A lot of All-Star games from the last 30+ years is going to be shown at some point over the next week or so. Should be good to see some Big Red Machine era AS games too.

GIDP
07-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I loved hearing them say "Canseco and McGwire look likey the belong on the football field"

Funny hearing that now.

redsfanmia
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I was there, It was pretty cool but Whitey Herzog did Sabo wrong.

HalMorrisRules
07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I was there, It was pretty cool but Whitey Herzog did Sabo wrong.

And he couldn't have worked Danny Jackson into the mix? That has always stuck in my craw.

Also in my craw was that the home run derby and other festivities were rained out on Monday. I was so looking forward to that.

I just checked to see how far back the HR Derby went and the first year was 1985 and Cincinnati's own Dave Parker won it. I don't remember that at all.

BluegrassRedleg
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Loved the Cobra. I've always sported No. 39 in my baseball/softball fun since he came to the Reds back in the day.

A couple of years later, I believe ED won the Derby. Can't recall many other Reds even being in the competition, though. I think Junior at some point. Did Dunn ever get a shot? Don't think he did.

Boston Red
07-12-2009, 03:55 PM
As I recall, the game was pretty dull. Didn't Terry freaking Steinbach win the MVP for, of all things, hitting a sac fly?

Boston Red
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Just looked it up. Forgot about the Steinbach homer. Still not the guy you want as an MVP.

GoGoWhiteSox
07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Loved the Cobra. I've always sported No. 39 in my baseball/softball fun since he came to the Reds back in the day.

A couple of years later, I believe ED won the Derby. Can't recall many other Reds even being in the competition, though. I think Junior at some point. Did Dunn ever get a shot? Don't think he did.
Griffey was in it in 2000 with the Reds at Turner Field.

improbus
07-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm wearing my lucky 1988 All Star T-Shirt my dad got for me when I was 9.