PDA

View Full Version : Great Game, Bronson

TheBigLebowski
07-10-2009, 10:22 PM
We've been all over his (butt) recently, and deservedly so. But I hate that we, as fans, tend to gloss over the good stuff that the players in our collective doghouses do, and BA was brilliant tonight. I had to watch the first 6 innings on gamecast tonight but I did see the final 3, and he was SHARP. Location was great, pitches had movement and bite, and he was pitching with confidence. It was entertaining to see.

So, good on ya, Bronson. Congrats on the amazing effort.

Rockermann
07-10-2009, 10:35 PM
+1

LouisvilleCARDS
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree he was amazing, he's the biggest enigma in MLB .. I've never seen anything like it.

Rockermann
07-10-2009, 10:53 PM
He got pretty high praise from David Wright:

"He's given us problems in the past. We just can't seem to figure him out. (He) just feeds off hitters' weaknesses. Until you can prove that you can hit against him, he's going to keep challenging you and trying to exploit those weaknesses. He did a tremendous job tonight and kept us off balance the entire night."

BLEEDS
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
His ERA just dropped almost .5

This is why people say never judge a guy by his worst games. Cueto just gave up 10 runs in 2/3rds of an inning the other day.

Arroyo is what he is, a 200 IP horse, and a pretty good #3. He's a #2 on our squads the last couple years by default. If Volquez, Cueto and Harang are in form, he's a #4. If Bailey keeps pitching the way he he has, he's a #5.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Mutaman
07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Always nice to win in the Big Apple. And Bronson usually does. The Mets stink. Lets sweep.

Griffey012
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I am just hoping he is into his post break form already, he has one of these stretches every year and they are horrible to go through, but once he gets through he is usually superb.

redram
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Bronson has always been either very very good, or very very bad. The only downside is he is the very very bad more often. He has flashes of greatness but most MLB pitchers do. I just wish he could realize what it is that makes him very very good and stay there.

Griffey012
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Bronson has always been either very very good, or very very bad. The only downside is he is the very very bad more often. He has flashes of greatness but most MLB pitchers do. I just wish he could realize what it is that makes him very very good and stay there.

He really isnt very very bad more often at all. Look at his game logs over the past few years and look at how many quality starts he has. Almost 2/3rds of the times he has quality starts I believe or it may be closer to 1/2. But there are games when he also goes 7 innigns 4 runs or 6 and 5 that are not very very bad, but not good.

Captain Hook
07-11-2009, 03:05 AM
He got pretty high praise from David Wright:

"He's given us problems in the past. We just can't seem to figure him out. (He) just feeds off hitters' weaknesses. Until you can prove that you can hit against him, he's going to keep challenging you and trying to exploit those weaknesses. He did a tremendous job tonight and kept us off balance the entire night."

Maybe Bronson should start Sun.

xavr1
07-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree he was amazing, he's the biggest enigma in MLB .. I've never seen anything like it.

I know! It really is crazy. How does he pitch the way he does, year after year? Its like clockwork. A stretch where college players would be teeing off, and then a stretch of virtual unhittability. Its those latter stretches that make him so valuable to us (and potential trading partners).

REDblooded
07-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you guys kidding me? It was a nice start, but c'mon... The Mets offense right now is absolutely terrible.

They're a candidate to get back-to-back no-hit right now.

bgwilly31
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
His ERA just dropped almost .5

This is why people say never judge a guy by his worst games. Cueto just gave up 10 runs in 2/3rds of an inning the other day.

Arroyo is what he is, a 200 IP horse, and a pretty good #3. He's a #2 on our squads the last couple years by default. If Volquez, Cueto and Harang are in form, he's a #4. If Bailey keeps pitching the way he he has, he's a #5.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

And what a great #5 he would be. However WAYYYY too expensive for a #5.

If he's getting paid what he's due next year and is our #5 what do you think cueto, volquez, and baily will want to get paid! lol

BLEEDS
07-11-2009, 01:12 PM
And what a great #5 he would be. However WAYYYY too expensive for a #5.

If he's getting paid what he's due next year and is our #5 what do you think cueto, volquez, and baily will want to get paid! lol

Who cares what he's paid, if the 2/3/4 guys are all getting paid league min?? It's all scemantics. He has the ability to look like a #2 one day, and a #5 the next.

Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey can WANT all they want, but they aren't FA's for a couple more years. Arbitration doesn't consider what the other pitchers on the roster are making.
That's a silly argument.

He could be traded for a good return, or let him stick it out one last season - and maybe trade at the deadline next year if it makes sense.

One thing is for sure, he's a shoe-in for 200 IP, he never gets hurt, so that is worth a lot to a team full of young arms.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

mlh1981
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
boy, did we ever need that sort of effort out of him last nite. our bullpen needed the break.