PDA

View Full Version : Where will we find a SS?

Captain Hook
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
So there is one thing that we can all agree on and that is that the Reds need to find a new SS.They have to find one soon and certainly cannot go into the 2010 season without making a move.I think I'd rather have Yanish then any of the available FA consider how old they are and what we might need to pay them.If I were to make one big trade this season it would be for a SS.The RH power bat for the middle of the line up can be found much easier this off season imo.Here is what we have to choose from as fan as FA go.

Orlando Cabrera (35)
Alex Cora (34)
Craig Counsell (39)
Bobby Crosby (30)
Adam Everett (33)
Chris Gomez (39)
Alex Gonzalez (32) - $6MM mutual option with a $500K buyout
Khalil Greene (30)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
John McDonald (35)
Marco Scutaro (34)
Miguel Tejada (36)
Omar Vizquel (43)
Jack Wilson (32) - $8.4MM club option with a $600K buyout

Make your case for one of these guys if you would like but I'd rather hear some trade idea's.I'll throw one out there.I recently read that the Indians would consider trading Jonny Peralta.I for one would give a lot for him.I love Masset but if the Indians wanted him and a top prospect I'd deal.

TC81190
07-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Usually, positioned between the second and third base bags, slightly more towards shallow left field.

To answer the title question.

Captain Hook
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Usually, positioned between the second and third base bags, slightly more towards shallow left field.

To answer the title question.

That might be the case with most teams.Let ask you this.If someone is standing on the field in the position you have stated does it actually make them a SS or could they just be pretending.

BigJohn
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
I still don't get not playing BP there and find a second baseman.

mroby85
07-14-2009, 06:04 PM

I don't really understand everyones infatuation with that. It's one thing if we had a capable 2B, or could bring in a 2B that was much better than a SS we could bring in, but does anyone have something in mind or just want to move Phillips? Moving him for the sake of moving him seems pointless this to me. I wanted them to sign Orlando Hudson this offseason, which wouldve been a very nice tandem up the middle.

Kingspoint
07-14-2009, 08:49 PM
So there is one thing that we can all agree on and that is that the Reds need to find a new SS.They have to find one soon and certainly cannot go into the 2010 season without making a move.I think I'd rather have Yanish then any of the available FA consider how old they are and what we might need to pay them.If I were to make one big trade this season it would be for a SS.The RH power bat for the middle of the line up can be found much easier this off season imo.Here is what we have to choose from as fan as FA go.

Orlando Cabrera (35)
Alex Cora (34)
Craig Counsell (39)
Bobby Crosby (30)
Adam Everett (33)
Chris Gomez (39)
Alex Gonzalez (32) - $6MM mutual option with a $500K buyout
Khalil Greene (30)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
John McDonald (35)
Marco Scutaro (34)
Miguel Tejada (36)
Omar Vizquel (43)
Jack Wilson (32) - $8.4MM club option with a $600K buyout

Make your case for one of these guys if you would like but I'd rather hear some trade idea's.I'll throw one out there.I recently read that the Indians would consider trading Jonny Peralta.I for one would give a lot for him.I love Masset but if the Indians wanted him and a top prospect I'd deal.

I'd rather pick someone from Louisville than any one of those players.

NeilHamburger
07-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Only name on the list even slightly intriguing is Tejada, and that would only be if you could get Rolen for 3rd. Surronding him with GG's at 3rd and 2nd would make his D okay. Only way Reds could afford that though is if they trade both EE and Arroyo, and all of their contracts.

That's the thing that frustrates me the most about Cincy. Let's say they're able to trade EE and Arroyo. They still wouldn't do something like that, as it's too risky for them, and they'd probably have to add about 5 million to the payroll. Plus look at the potential outfield D.

I mean look at the potential 2010 team:

1. Dickerson Cf
2. Tejada SS
3. Votto 1st
4. Rolen 3rd
5. Phillips 2nd
6. Bruce Rf
7. Hanigan C
8. Heisey/Stubbs Lf

1. Harang
2. Volquez
3. Cueto
4 Homer
5. Owings

Bullpen would be roughly the same, minus Weathers

bounty37h
07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't really understand everyones infatuation with that. It's one thing if we had a capable 2B, or could bring in a 2B that was much better than a SS we could bring in, but does anyone have something in mind or just want to move Phillips? Moving him for the sake of moving him seems pointless this to me. I wanted them to sign Orlando Hudson this offseason, which wouldve been a very nice tandem up the middle.

I dont either, I think one person mentioned it, and others have taken it and run with it, it makes no sense to me. It would be a different thing if BP wasnt GG at second already.

Jerry Narron
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Jocketty and Castellini will talk a good game this offseason then a few weeks later say they can't bring in players due to being a small market team. After taking the cheap route Paul Janish will be the shortstop next season.

Farnsie
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Those are some pretty scruffy FA's... And old.

chettt
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda......He is playing 3rd base for the White Sox. We chose Yonder, then the Sox took Gordon Beckam.

nemesis
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Zack Cozart/Chris Valakia or AGon on a cheaper cotract after the buyout.

Personally I don't understand why more people arent higher on Cozart on this board. He has improved his approach at the plate the last 2 years. Skipped a level and proabaly compares well with Janish in the field. He has enough power, .444 slugging this year after he had a .457 last year, a solid OBP .372 up from .330 last year. He already has walked 15 more times this year in 105 less AB's and OPSing .816 up from .787 last year even with his slugging slightlly down and is hitting .313 wRISP. I would bet he could put up slightly better numbers at the plate than AGon right now as a 23 year old. I really would like to see him get a promotion next month to AAA so he has a "shot" in Spring Training next year.

GIDP
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Hes in AA, and will be in AAA before the season is over.

nemesis
07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Hes in AA, and will be in AAA before the season is over.

I've internally wondered if that is why Valakia made the switch to 2B to allow a spot for Cozart eventually in AAA...

Newman4
07-15-2009, 05:17 PM

I would move BP and live with it if we could acquire Willy Aybar ;) BP is a good athlete and probably would be at least above-average over there. His bat certainly is above-average for the position.

toledoreds
07-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I also like Cozart...Arizona might be looking to move Drew. He has Boras as an agent and do for some big money coming to him after this year. Good bat and very good defence. Not sure if this might intress some Reds fans or not?

TracyJonesFan
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Watched AAA all star game tonight, What about Reid Brignac? Barlett ahead of him, Beckham behind him. I think we could get him, TB could use a Closer.

toledoreds
07-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Ya he would be worth a shot. you think trading Weather to Tampa would get it done?

Moneyman
07-16-2009, 12:43 AM
What would you guys think of trying to accquire someone like Yuniel Escobar of the Braves? Would he interest you guys?

Plus Plus
07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
The problem is that the Braves need what the Reds won't give up, like a power hitting young 1b. They don't need pitching to an extent that would get them to give up Escobar (barring big names like Cueto or Stewart), and they have some young OF prospects in the wings.

I would love for it to happen but it just isn't a good match, imo.

bleedsred
07-16-2009, 12:56 AM

Say the Reds did move BP to ss and he fielded gold glove caliber there and kept his hitting up...finding a 2B is a lot easier than finding a ss who can hit and field. If Cincy falls out of the race, what harm is it to put him at short and see what he can do?

Isn't it being rumored that the Pirates want to move Freddy Sanchez(834 OPS) with 1 error at 2B? There is a guy the Reds could go after if they could play BP at SS.

JayBruce
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
The problem is that the Braves need what the Reds won't give up, like a power hitting young 1b. They don't need pitching to an extent that would get them to give up Escobar (barring big names like Cueto or Stewart), and they have some young OF prospects in the wings.

I would love for it to happen but it just isn't a good match, imo.

The Braves have a first baseman in AA who is every bit the prospect that Alonso is, and he's two years younger.

tobttr
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Jocketty and Castellini will talk a good game this offseason then a few weeks later say they can't bring in players due to being a small market team. After taking the cheap route Paul Janish will be the shortstop next season.

What he said.

Kingspoint
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
He is playing 3rd base for the White Sox. We chose Yonder, then the Sox took Gordon Beckam.

Though Beckham was my pick at the time even though I thought Jockety would take Alonso, I can't fault the pick. Rarely does a guy make me go, "Wow!" when I watch him in person. Both players did that for me. That's only about 1 out of 300 College, Minor, and Major League players who are like that to me. It's just something I see when I see it. While Beckham is a Right-Hander, and Alonso is a Left-Hander, they both have very special characters and it shows in their swings and approaches at the plate. I don't need any stats to back it up. The stats will come at the Major League level.

We're in good hands with Alonso when he gets to the REDS.

TC81190
07-17-2009, 01:43 AM
I agree with Brignac.

I asked on here for Zobrist a couple years ago and was told he was not much more than another Ryan Freel. Oops.

Captain Hook
07-17-2009, 03:10 AM
The SS free agents this coming off season are brutal.There isn't 1 guy that I would be excited to have and most of those fossils should just retire.If I had to pick from them I'd have to take the youngest guy there, Kahil Green.I know he hasn't shown any reason for us to believe that he could live up to his once high potential but he is still young enough to believe that maybe there is a good year or two possible.I would also consider Gonzo at a very reduced rate.

As far as BP to SS goes I'm not a big fan of it but considering the other options we might have to consider it.One thing to think about is that BP numbers on offense are probably a little above average for a 2B but those same number could be top 2 or 3 in baseball for a SS.

I know that these options stink but I think that its about what we're looking at.

big boy
07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
How about some Julio Lugo. Just saw this on Rotoworld:

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Boston is "desperately" trying to trade Julio Lugo with both Mike Lowell and Jed Lowrie on the verge of coming off the disabled list. According to Rosenthal the Red Sox have informed teams that they're w! illing to eat nearly all of Lugo's remaining deal-which pays $9 millio n this year and another $9 million in 2010-in exchange for a marginal prospect.

Lugo has hit .284/.352/.367 in 37 games since coming back from knee surgery, which basically matches his .271/.335/.390 career line, but his defense has been terrible and the Red Sox clearly prefer Nick Green as their utility man with Lowrie and Lowell set to return this weekend. In the third year of a four-year, $36 million contract, Lugo has hit .251/.319/.346 while missing one-third of Boston's games.

CySeymour
07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
How about some Julio Lugo. Just saw this on Rotoworld:

If his defense is as bad as advertised, then I don't see how he is really any upgrade over what the Reds already have.