PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we EVER get a break with a really big prospect?

LouisvilleCARDS
07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I posted this in the game thread, and maybe I'm pulling the "why me?" card here, but holy crap - why can we NEVER get a prospect to pan out?? Not saying he may not eventually get better, but Bailey right now is not what we thought he was. And Bruce to a degree as well. Once again, thats not saying they're doomed players, but it seems we NEVER get anything easy. EVER. The Cincinnati Reds are cursed, I swear.

Just as an example, I remember a couple years ago, Linecum was at the same level as Bailey in the minors. Two years later? Lincecum is the best in the game. And Bailey is consistently bombing. I mean both guys were very highly touted coming up, yet our pitcher so far in his career has what, around a 5-6 ERA his career so far?

Same with Bruce, who was very highly touted as the best prospect in baseball. Guy hits the majors and this year he's been batting .207 before hitting the DL.Other guys just as touted, like Longoria, and even guys out of his own draft class like Upton, Braun, Zimmerman become All Stars.

It's just ridiculous. Really it is. We got Votto, sure, he's panned out. But with the amount of expectations our other top prospects had, and where similar guys as them have went on to become superstars already, it seems like we get no breaks.

I'm not asking the moon, I'm not even asking for great. But is it asking too much for both Bruce and Bailey's production this year not to be among the WORST at their position? It's amazing how other teams prospects come up and within their first or second year are already talked about as the best in the game, yet ours have stats among the worst in the league thus far this year. How does this happen????

Shawn_RedsFan
07-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Bailey has actually pitched decent, tonight was the only night that when he left this team wasn't in the game. Even the brewers game when he was took out he had only let up 4 runs.

Krawhitham
07-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Bailey has actually pitched decent, tonight was the only night that when he left this team wasn't in the game. Even the brewers game when he was took out he had only let up 4 runs.

The man had a 6.43 before this game, how is that pitching decent?

will5979
07-22-2009, 06:43 AM
This season is really becoming embarassing. As of right now I could care less if I find out what the Reds do in their games these next few months. I wish the organization would do itself a favor and forfeit the rest of the games at and at least try to savw some embarassament. I believe we are headed for last. I have never seen a team that cannot put a winning streak together like this team can't.

Good job front office. "We're standing pat, and seeing what we have can do!"

BlastFurnace
07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
We did find one...and we traded him to the Rangers after one season.

Biff Pocoroba
07-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I would say that the success rate is surely nothing to crow about, but off the top of my head, I would point to Votto, Cueto, Phillips and Dunn right off the bat, and express confidence in both Bruce and Volquez for the future. I would exactly say that is not NEVER getting a break

As fans, we tend to obsess much more on the misses than the hits.

GBC Red
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't include Phillips. He came up in the Expos system and played for the Indians before coming here. He wasn't our prospect.

Ghosts of 1990
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
We did find one...and we traded him to the Rangers after one season.

+100

That trade will go down as an all-time blunder.

And Adam Dunn is going to carve out a Hall of Fame career, but the Reds were too cheap to bring him back and let him do it here. 2nd rate organization at this point who probably cuts corners in the scouting department as well. Plus we're just snake-bitten.

schmidty622
07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
+100

That trade will go down as an all-time blunder.

And Adam Dunn is going to carve out a Hall of Fame career, but the Reds were too cheap to bring him back and let him do it here. 2nd rate organization at this point who probably cuts corners in the scouting department as well. Plus we're just snake-bitten.

A little early to call that one. Hamilton has been pretty useless this year. Same with Volquez. Herrera has been nice though.

RedLegsToday
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Hanigan was an undrafted free agent, and he may end up having a longer career than almost any of these other prospects. I would say we caught a break there.

Girevik
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
+And Adam Dunn is going to carve out a Hall of Fame career, but the Reds were too cheap to bring him back and let him do it here.

I don't know about that. I like my HOF'ers to have a lifetime average north of .245

lidspinner
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know about that. I like my HOF'ers to have a lifetime average north of .245

bingo

Boston Red
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM
our pitcher so far in his career has what, around a 5-6 ERA his career so far?

You are far too kind. In 23 career MLB appearances (all starts), Bailey is 5-10 with a 6.97 ERA. He has given up 132 hits and 66 walks (against 65Ks) in 112.1 innings for a whopping 1.76 WHIP.

So far, not good.

13 in hall
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Now let me say that I for one am not trying to defend either of these two guys Bailey and Bruce. First I will address Bailey, yes he has been a dissapointment to this point. We must remember that he was rushed to the bigs and also that this would be his Senior year in college or his first year of pro ball. Lincecum is always going to be much better and is two years older than Homer. Now next season is make or break for the kid. Out of options and he has to prove that he will at least be a No.3 starter. Till then I'm willing to deal with his ups and downs.

Bruce is a whole other story I am of the opnion that when Jay is 25 he will be better than Votto at any age maybe sooner. The constant cry will be will the Reds sign him long term or need to trade him. He is just 22 years old. There is not a 22 year old in the whole of baseball that was asked to carry the offensive load Jay was asked to carry. Longoria is 2 years older and has much more around him that allows him to succeed. Zimmerman is a full three years older. Braun is almost 4 years older so in short if in two, three years time Jay is still not producing at an all star level then we can blast him to death. Till then we must deal with the fact of what he is a learning at the pro level.

JayBruceFan
07-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I posted this in the game thread, and maybe I'm pulling the "why me?" card here, but holy crap - why can we NEVER get a prospect to pan out?? Not saying he may not eventually get better, but Bailey right now is not what we thought he was. And Bruce to a degree as well. Once again, thats not saying they're doomed players, but it seems we NEVER get anything easy. EVER. The Cincinnati Reds are cursed, I swear.

Just as an example, I remember a couple years ago, Linecum was at the same level as Bailey in the minors. Two years later? Lincecum is the best in the game. And Bailey is consistently bombing. I mean both guys were very highly touted coming up, yet our pitcher so far in his career has what, around a 5-6 ERA his career so far?

Same with Bruce, who was very highly touted as the best prospect in baseball. Guy hits the majors and this year he's been batting .207 before hitting the DL.Other guys just as touted, like Longoria, and even guys out of his own draft class like Upton, Braun, Zimmerman become All Stars.

It's just ridiculous. Really it is. We got Votto, sure, he's panned out. But with the amount of expectations our other top prospects had, and where similar guys as them have went on to become superstars already, it seems like we get no breaks.

I'm not asking the moon, I'm not even asking for great. But is it asking too much for both Bruce and Bailey's production this year not to be among the WORST at their position? It's amazing how other teams prospects come up and within their first or second year are already talked about as the best in the game, yet ours have stats among the worst in the league thus far this year. How does this happen????

You can't really compare Bruce to Longoria, Braun and Zimmerman because Bruce came straight out of high school and was fast tracked to the majors while the other 3 were advanced college players

Shawn_RedsFan
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
The man had a 6.43 before this game, how is that pitching decent?

haha now if you would have read my post..since he has been called back up everytime he LEAVES the game this team is still in the game, indians when he left we were winning, cards winning, phillies tied, brewers down by 3

Now last night he got shelled but in his previous 4 starts he has been pitching pretty darn good. Next time actually try and COMPREHEND my post before you reply to it. Thanks ;)

gilpdawg
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
You can't really compare Bruce to Longoria, Braun and Zimmerman because Bruce came straight out of high school and was fast tracked to the majors while the other 3 were advanced college players

Shhh. You're not allowed to make sense in the SunDeck. Don't you know we're the dregs of Redszone? :D

Attn. Mods-I'm joking.

sivman17
07-23-2009, 02:12 AM
what's all this adam dunn nonsense talk? i don't think i ever heard anyone say they wanted dunn. he definitely wore out his welcome here. if people are going to complain about trading away anyone, why not felipe lopez? he was a great hitting SS and i could never understand why they traded him away. even juan castro is doing some hitting these days.

will5979
07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
what's all this adam dunn nonsense talk? i don't think i ever heard anyone say they wanted dunn. he definitely wore out his welcome here.

It depends on who you ask. To me it was down right stupid to not resign him. A sure 40 hr/100 rbi every year, yeah who would want that in their lineup? Instead lets have Lance Nix or that other fat ass. Gawd Adam Dunn haters piss me off. Even when the Reds were out of the race I still enjoyed watching the game to see how many Adam Bombs would be hit. I don't need this stress and aggreviation. Time to start following my favorite AL team, the Yankees, a team that actually CARES and KNOWS about winning.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Time to start following my favorite AL team, the Yankees, a team that actually CARES and KNOWS about winning.

:thumbdown Don't let door hit you on the :mooner: on your way out, cya next year ;)

will5979
07-23-2009, 07:19 PM
:thumbdown Don't let door hit you on the :mooner: on your way out, cya next year ;)

Ouch my butt! I'll be back next year, hands down the Reds are my favorite team, but I love baseball so much that I want some sanity, and these ****ty owners are driving me insane, they are no better than the Pirates organization.

Roush's socks
07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
The Reds should bring in some of the younger players if they can't afford to buy any talent.